Passing Ability: Lonzo Ball vs Ricky Rubio

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,839

Re: Passing Ability: Lonzo Ball vs Ricky Rubio 

Post#81 » by Karate Diop » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:14 pm

I think it's a little insulting to Rubio to make this comparison actually... Rubio has thrown passes that Lonzo has never even thought of before.

Lonzo has a lot of flash which is what seems to be skewing opinions right now...
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#82 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:05 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#83 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:56 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246608/Jazz-Acquire-Ricky-Rubio-From-Wolves-For-1st-Round-Pick

Utah's playoff run is over. They are bringing the ultimate loser to their team to play PG. Ricky Rubio traded for a top 14 protected first round pick from OKC. So he was traded for a pick that has full lottery protection.

agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#84 » by agentofatlas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246608/Jazz-Acquire-Ricky-Rubio-From-Wolves-For-1st-Round-Pick

Utah's playoff run is over. They are bringing the ultimate loser to their team to play PG. Ricky Rubio traded for a top 14 protected first round pick from OKC. So he was traded for a pick that has full lottery protection.

If they keep Hayward and barring any major injury, I bet you they not only make the playoffs, but will also finish a higher seed than the timberwolves.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#85 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 1, 2017 8:12 am

man, if they keep Hayward, that team will be fun. Gobert will get far more looks now. And that defense. Very exited. They got him for basically nothing. Now hope they stay healthy.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#86 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Jul 1, 2017 9:11 am

agentofatlas wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246608/Jazz-Acquire-Ricky-Rubio-From-Wolves-For-1st-Round-Pick

If they keep Hayward and barring any major injury, I bet you they not only make the playoffs, but will also finish a higher seed than the timberwolves.

The Wolves signed Jeff Teague so I'm not a fan of that move. He's better than Ricky Rubio for winning in the NBA but not by much. I suspect that Butler will be dominating the basketball...

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#87 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 1, 2017 9:17 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:

The Wolves signed Jeff Teague so I'm not a fan of that move. He's better than Ricky Rubio for winning in the NBA but not by much. I suspect that Butler will be dominating the basketball...

I think Rubio is better player, but he was pretty bad fit there so the shake up was understandable. But Teague is not the guy that upgrades them at all IMO, I would have rather went after George Hill.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,386

Post#88 » by cupcakesnake » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:25 am

there is a certain level of passing ability, where they seem so genius, it is hard to distinguish between them. I cannot say for sure that anyone is a better passer than anyone on this list: Rubio, Ball, Nash, Magic, Kidd, Cousy (the OG), Bird, Chris Paul, Rondo, White Chocolate, Stockton, Jokic

honourable mention: Pistol Pete (those fake out touch passes and weird underhanders!), Bill Walton, Vlade Divac, Lebron (best skip pass of all-time, strongest passer ever), Manu Ginobili (best no-look ever), Arvydas Sabonis, John Wall (corner master), Boris Diaw, the Gasol brothers, Harden, Russ (i think he's such an awful decision maker, but man he does have so many passes in his repertoire), C-Webb, Big O, Zeke,
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#89 » by Jkam31 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:45 am

lol Lonzo isn't half the passer Rubio is watch then in half court

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,544

Post#90 » by Alatan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I dont get this idea that Ball is some otherworldly passer. The only passes he does above average age full court transition passes and that's it. Everything else is quite average. What i saw of him in half court is that he just passes to shooters and once in a while to a cutter. No creating better looks at all. In transition he is better but most NBA pgs can lead a fast break equally effective.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#91 » by Jkam31 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Alatan wrote:I dont get this idea that Ball is some otherworldly passer. The only passes he does above average age full court transition passes and that's it. Everything else is quite average. What i saw of him in half court is that he just passes to shooters and once in a while to a cutter. No creating better looks at all. In transition he is better but most NBA pgs can lead a fast break equally effective.

Anyone with eyes sees this

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#92 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Lonzo simply adds flashiness even to the simplest of passes, that's why his passing gets overrated.

He's one of the quickest passers, though, something that could end up being very beneficial. Passing INSTANTLY when he sees the opportunity is to me his best quality. It doesn't seem to affect his turnovers too much either.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#93 » by HoopsMalone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:29 am

Lonzo just led THE MOST EFFICIENT COLLEGE OFFENSE OF ALL TIME.

He's going to be one of the greatest passers in NBA history the second he steps on the court.

That said, Rubio is too.

Lonzo is gonna be an absolute killer once LeBron pairs up with him though. That is some disgusting ball movement.

The real key to the NBA right now is having ballhandlers and passers who can rebound and start transition opportunities on missed shots.

Due to the 3 point explosion the game is a lot more fluid from end to end. A lot more missed shots with rebounds that don't require a lot of bulk or height to corral. The modern game is more like soccer where you strike/counterstrike. Guys like Lonzo and Simmons are the future

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#94 » by Hoopz Afrik » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Rudy Gobert's production with Rubio at the helm will be a good indicator.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#95 » by NPZ » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Alatan wrote:I dont get this idea that Ball is some otherworldly passer. The only passes he does above average age full court transition passes and that's it. Everything else is quite average. What i saw of him in half court is that he just passes to shooters and once in a while to a cutter. No creating better looks at all. In transition he is better but most NBA pgs can lead a fast break equally effective.

You haven't seen enough of him then. To say he doesn't create better scoring opportunities, mostly in stride or at rim, is silly. That's most of what he DOES. You have to be purposely obtuse to watch his passing game and not like what you see.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#96 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Prez wrote:This notion that Rubio's game isn't conducive to winning or that he's the reason Minnesota isn't good is just utter nonsense that doesn't stand up to any visible or statistical evidence.

Jazz are damn happy to have him setting up Gobert and Favors. Rubio made Pekovic an 18 ppg player primarily as a roll-man.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#97 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 pm

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#98 » by Catchall » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 am

Too bad Ball didn't play, or they could have gone head to head.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,531

Post#99 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

LeBron_da_Don wrote:Rudy Gobert's production with Rubio at the helm will be a good indicator.

Also if Towns stats suddenly look like CLE Love
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#100 » by jinxed » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Well they just played head to head. Rubio locked Ball down and won the battle quite easily. Ironically, Neither of them passed all that well and both of these questionable shooters hit bunch of threes (ball-3, rubio- 4).
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Return to NBA Draft