2017 NBA Draft - Lottery thoughts?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

2017 NBA Draft - Lottery thoughts? 

Post#1 » by Upperclass » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45 am

With two days to go.. what are your final thoughts on how this draft will pan out?

PHI - Fultz - Huge steal. Boston will live to regret this imo. At least until they get a shot at Zion in 2019(if the pick hasnt been traded to Chicago by then). Fultz, Simmons, Embiid will look almost unfair in a few years imo.

LAL - Jo. Jackson - They cant take Ball imo. He fits so much better in Phoenix to me. The distraction will be just too much, and I think Jackson fits their role of a leader. I do think they probably take Ball though.

Bos - Tatum - If this pick isnt traded, I think they take Tatum.. even if Jo. Jackson is on the board. Tatum will end up the 2nd best scorer in this draft when all is said and done imo.

Phoenix - Ball - One of the only spots he can land where I think he may not bust right away. I think playing with Booker and for a former NBA PG in Watson will do wonders for his career if he can put his ego aside and be coached. remains to be seen. I think he ultimately Busts though. He's relatively unskilled imo.

Sac - Fox - Another glove-like fit. Can become their version of the glove, with better athletic skills. I think Fox is going to be a fantastic NBA player.

Orl - Isaac - High upside guy. I'm not high on Isaac. Seems to lack feel and emotion. I would take Malik Monk here and wouldn't be surprised to see him selected by Orl. I think a Fornier/Monk backcourt would be solid once he tightens up his handle.

Minn - Monk if he's on the board/Isaac if Monk's not on the board. I would take Markannen over either on this team.

NYK - DSJ - Perfect fit for all parties. I think theres a chance he gets selected by Orlando. But if not.. i think he falls to NYK relatively easily. If he's not on the board, I think they take Lauri.

Dal - Lauri Marksmen - With Dirk on his last legs.. I think it makes too much sense to not draft a 7'0 sharp shooting PF in a similar mold. He's not Dirk, but Dirk can help him be more dirk-like. If he's not on the board, I think they take Zach Collins.

Sac - Zach Collins - Sac needs bigs and I think Zach compliments WCS perfectly.

Cha - Frank Nitti - Kennard could also go here. I would probably take Kennard, but Frank Nitti projects as a very good defensive backup guard.

Det - Bam - I think they need a hard roller and a high energy big. Bam fits that mold perfectly. I wouldn't surprised to see Drummond moved this season as well. If not on draft night.

Den - Jarrett Allen - Rim protection is needed. They tried to play Jokic & Plumlee together to no avail. I think Allen could fit well as a rim runner and protector.

Miami - Frank Jackson - Steal of the draft and could/should end up higher via trade. I think he ends up a starter fairly quickly in Miami at the 2 or one if Goran is moved.
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Re: 2017 NBA Draft - Lottery thoughts? 

Post#2 » by dukes_wild » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:58 am

Love Frank Jackson but there's no way he gets picked in the lottery
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#3 » by kb02 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 am

Upperclass wrote:With two days to go.. what are your final thoughts on how this draft will pan out?

PHI - Fultz - Huge steal. Boston will live to regret this imo. At least until they get a shot at Zion in 2019(if the pick hasnt been traded to Chicago by then). Fultz, Simmons, Embiid will look almost unfair in a few years imo.

LAL - Jo. Jackson - They cant take Ball imo. He fits so much better in Phoenix to me. The distraction will be just too much, and I think Jackson fits their role of a leader. I do think they probably take Ball though.

Bos - Tatum - If this pick isnt traded, I think they take Tatum.. even if Jo. Jackson is on the board. Tatum will end up the 2nd best scorer in this draft when all is said and done imo.

Phoenix - Ball - One of the only spots he can land where I think he may not bust right away. I think playing with Booker and for a former NBA PG in Watson will do wonders for his career if he can put his ego aside and be coached. remains to be seen. I think he ultimately Busts though. He's relatively unskilled imo.

Sac - Fox - Another glove-like fit. Can become their version of the glove, with better atheltic skills. I think Fox is going to be a fantastic NBA player.

Orl - Isaac - High upside guy. Im not high on Isaac. Seems to lack feel and emotion. I would take Malik Monk here and wouldnt be surprised to see him selected b Orl. I think a Forunier/Monk backcourt would be solid once he tightens up his handle.

Minn - Monk if he's on the board/Isaac if Monk's not on the board. I would take Markannen over either on this team.

NYK - DSJ - Perfect fit for all parties. I think theres a chance he gets selected by Orlando. But if not.. i think he falls to NYK relatively easily. If he's not on the board, I think they take Lauri.

Dal - Lauri Marksmen - With Dirk on his last legs.. I think it makes too much sense to not draft a 7'0 sharp shooting PF in a similar mold. He's not Dirk, but Dirk can help him be more dirk-like. If he's not on the board, I think they take Zach Collins.

Det - Bam - I think they need a hard roller and a high energy big. Bam fits that mold perfectly. I wouldnt surprised to see Drummond moved this season as well. If not on draft night.

Den - Jarett Allen - Rim protection is needed. They tried to paly Jokic & Plumelle together to no avail. I think Allen could fit well as a rim runner and protector.

Miami - Frank Jackson - Steal of the draft and could/should end up higher via trade. I think he ends up a starter fairly quickly in Miami at the 2 or one if Goran is moved.

Ike Anigbogu is a better long term prospect than Bam.
I don't agree with your Fultz assessment. Ainge would never pass on a generational, can't miss prospect. He's going to be a very good player, who ends up being a 2 guard, who scores a ton, but will also consume a ton of volume.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#4 » by wildvikeswolves » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Any of Tatum, Isaac, DSJ, Fox, or Monk I would be happy with for the Twolves. With Markkanens defensive issues I have a hard time seeing Thibs taking him.
Master Amino
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Master Amino » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm

1) Philly - Markelle Fultz

- A no brainer.

2) Lakers - Lonzo Ball

- It's not a matter of what I want---which is for Ball and his family to take a huge bite of humble pie. At the end of the day, I think Ball is a Laker no matter what.

3) Celtics - Josh Jackson

- For their sake I sure hope they don't trade away this pick for Jimmy Butler. Can you imagine if both Jaylen Brown and Josh Jackson reach their full potential together?

4) Suns - Jonathan Isaac

- Seems like the exact type of player Phoenix typically likes to draft. Cant blame them. Could be a special player.

5) Kings - De'Aaron Fox

- Wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics make another trade to move down from #3 for a team desperate for Fox. If not, this is probably the lowest he'd possibly go.

6) Magic - Jayson Tatum

- I'm not sold on him, but it's hard envisioning him falling too far.

7) Wolves - Malik Monk

- Get this team some shooting. The Wolves could use a Jamal Crawford type 6th man leading the second unit. As fan, I just hope they don't take Lauri Markkanen.

8) Knicks - Dennis Smith

- Popular opinion is Monk or Ntilikina, but I have Smith going here if Monk is gone.

9) Mavericks - Lauri Markkanen

- Dirk's eventual replacement. This pick feels lazy to predict, but I don't see it going any other way if the top 8 plays out anything like it has in this post.

10) Kings - Zach Collins

- A pick that absolutely screams Vlade Divac.

11) Hornets - Frank Ntilikina

- In a move that simply rounds out the roster more.

12) Pistons - Harry Giles

- There's no way Giles is going to fall as low as a lot of people think. No way. I think he could go as high as #10 to Sacramento. Heck, I wouldn't even be upset if the Wolves took him at #7 (speaking as a fan).

13) Nuggets - Jarrett Allen

- Torn between Allen or Justin Jackson here.

14) Heat - Luke Kennard

- Don't feel too good about putting him this low. His stock seems to be soaring lately.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Man I hope we don't end up with Bam or Giles at 12

Sixers- Fultz
Lakers- Ball
Celtics- Jackson
Suns- Tatum
Kings- Fox
Magic- DSJ
Wolves- Isaac
Knicks-Ntilikina
Mavs- Monk
Kings- Markanen
Hornets- Mitchell
Pistons- Zach Collins
Nuggets- Justin Jackson
Heat- Giles
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Master Amino wrote:1) Philly - Markelle Fultz

- A no brainer.

2) Lakers - Lonzo Ball

- It's not a matter of what I want---which is for Ball and his family to take a huge bite of humble pie. At the end of the day, I think Ball is a Laker no matter what.

3) Celtics - Josh Jackson

- For their sake I sure hope they don't trade away this pick for Jimmy Butler. Can you imagine if both Jaylen Brown and Josh Jackson reach their full potential together?

4) Suns - Jonathan Isaac

- Seems like the exact type of player Phoenix typically likes to draft. Cant blame them. Could be a special player.

5) Kings - De'Aaron Fox

- Wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics make another trade to move down from #3 for a team desperate for Fox. If not, this is probably the lowest he'd possibly go.

6) Magic - Jayson Tatum

- I'm not sold on him, but it's hard envisioning him falling too far.

7) Wolves - Malik Monk

- Get this team some shooting. The Wolves could use a Jamal Crawford type 6th man leading the second unit. As fan, I just hope they don't take Lauri Markkanen.

8) Knicks - Dennis Smith

- Popular opinion is Monk or Ntilikina, but I have Smith going here if Monk is gone.

9) Mavericks - Lauri Markkanen

- Dirk's eventual replacement. This pick feels lazy to predict, but I don't see it going any other way if the top 8 plays out anything like it has in this post.

10) Kings - Zach Collins

- A pick that absolutely screams Vlade Divac.

11) Hornets - Frank Ntilikina

- In a move that simply rounds out the roster more.

12) Pistons - Harry Giles

- There's no way Giles is going to fall as low as a lot of people think. No way. I think he could go as high as #10 to Sacramento. Heck, I wouldn't even be upset if the Wolves took him at #7 (speaking as a fan).

13) Nuggets - Jarrett Allen

- Torn between Allen or Justin Jackson here.

14) Heat - Luke Kennard

- Don't feel too good about putting him this low. His stock seems to be soaring lately.

Curious as too why your so positive in Giles. Dude has blew out both knees already and moved up and down the court like a 90 year old man this year.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#8 » by jonjames » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 pm

I'll start with #2 since fultz will be the #1 pick. Lakers can't go wrong with either one imho. My mind says lakers will pick ball but my heart says they will pick jackson. Jackson gives them much needed toughness defense and overall versatility which imo edges what ball brings to team. Ball will help lakers players tap into their full potentual with his facilitating but I feel there might be some major internal conflict down the road between him russell which will create some chemistry issues drama in locker room. Basically balls talent makes their current roster construction more redundant with Russell already on team also the fact that lakers weakness is not not short of offensive talent but they need more defense oriented players to balance out their roster. Jackson provides that along with some nice scoring punch on the wing.

Celtics I can see them picking either jackson or Dennis smith jr. Jackson as we already know is an Ainge type of player but I'm not sure how much that helps since that hinders last yr draft pick jaylen be own development. I think they should flip this pick to Chicago along with other future draft picks for jimmy butler. Smith jr is another Ainge type with arguably yhe most talent and wouldn't be surprised if they decide to not resign Thomas for max.

Phoenix for some reason I can only see ball with this team..that woukd be his ideal situation to run with that youthful core without all the media distraction all season. I cant see them picking tatum since they already have to Warren who have very similar games. Maybe high upside guy like issac.

Sacramento I believe will finally turn their franchise around after this draft and will pick fox. Like others have said this is perfect fit for him to grow with and develop with the future core of Hield Skal Cauley stein. Tatum is the other option if Fox is gone by time they select.

Magic are still trying to find their identity and I don't believe they are certain Payton is still their franchise pg. I could see them going tatum or smith jr here to replace Payton or adding a shooter scorer like Tatum or monk. Overall they are in desperate need of talent and will go for bpa over fit.

Minnesota already have alot of key positions set for future and will only be to looking to add a complimentary piece to their core which I can see them going markannen or issac.

New York similar to Orlando is in desperate need of talent to build around porzingis. If smith jr is available I'm fairly confident they will pick DSJ since Phil Jackson seems pretty high on the kid. Otherwise there are bevy of options monk Ntilikina isaac all of which are okay but don't have that superstar potential like smith jr.

Dallas I see them going international with this pick. Ntilikina or markannen. Ntilikina is raw but has has great size and tools at the pg. Markannen like other poster alluded can be viewed as dirks replacement which is highly unlikely but gives the fan base some optimism for future at the least.

Sacramento with their second pick is interesting. I think they could surprise and go for highest ceiling/talent available or address their sf position need with gay's pending departure. Markannen will be the pick here if he falls. Ntilikina here if they select tatum with their 5th pick. Collins and Anunoby are possible options. Or maybe they gamble on Harry Giles potential..but in all honesty hes way too similar to Skal.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,178

Re: RE: Re: 2017 NBA Draft - Lottery thoughts? 

Post#9 » by Tukkerwolf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Master Amino wrote:

7) Wolves - Malik Monk

- Get this team some shooting. The Wolves could use a Jamal Crawford type 6th man leading the second unit.

Like Lavine? I think Monk makes no sense at all for the Wolves, unless Lavine won't come back healthy.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#11 » by KF10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 am

EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter

If the Kings somehow obtain Fox & Jackson at the end of the day, they get a A++ for the draft.
Master Amino
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: RE: Re: 2017 NBA Draft - Lottery thoughts? 

Post#12 » by Master Amino » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Tukkerwolf wrote:
Master Amino wrote:

7) Wolves - Malik Monk

- Get this team some shooting. The Wolves could use a Jamal Crawford type 6th man leading the second unit.

Like Lavine? I think Monk makes no sense at all for the Wolves, unless Lavine won't come back healthy.

Uh LaVine's a starter. He literally started in every single game this past season until the injury.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,178

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2017 NBA Draft - Lottery thoughts? 

Post#13 » by Tukkerwolf » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Master Amino wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
Master Amino wrote:

7) Wolves - Malik Monk

Uh LaVine's a starter. He literally started in every single game this past season until the injury.

1. He left early and then played with the bench.
2. Most Wolves fans think the best strategy for next year is to start Wiggins at the 2 with a stronger devensive 3 and let Lavine take the 6th man role because the Lavine Wiggins combination is just not working.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow - you are very high on Bell compared to most people. I won't disagree that he's a nice fit for Denver, maybe. However, I suspect he won't be picked anywhere near that high.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#15 » by Upperclass » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm

I actually think Jordan Bell creeps towards lottery as well.. maybe even as high as 12 to Detroit. I can easily see him going before Jarrett Allen and maybe even Kennard. He seems like a huge sleeper to me defensively. Almost like a poor mans Rodman.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Upperclass wrote:I actually think Jordan Bell creeps towards lottery as well.. maybe even as high as 12 to Detroit. I can easily see him going before Jarrett Allen and maybe even Kennard. He seems like a huge sleeper to me defensively. Almost like a poor mans Rodman.

It'll be lucky if Bell is even a first rounder. I like him, but 23 year olds literally NEVER get drafted in the first round. I DO think Bell has enough value where he could get taken at the end of the first, but odds are he's not taken till the second round (because it literally never happens). It's why Malcolm Brogdon was a second round pick.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Bell is exactly the same age Buddy Hield was a year ago.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

It's kind of hard for me to figure out this draft because I think there will be a lot of trades and I definitely think guys will fall/rise. But in terms of value for the lottery, this is my rankings:

I rewatched Malik Monk with the idea that he's only 19 and I really think he's going to be special. In terms of Lonzo being so low (4 overall), it isn't that I'm not high on him, I just also really like these guys. In my mind Fox, Ball and Smith are interchangeable. Josh Jackson is the first guy with a more obvious flaw and I just find it hard to make him before the other guys who I think will be able to translate quicker. Tatum is another guy I like, but I can't point to one thing and say that is the reason he can be elite. Isaac, while he's super awesome defensively, he needs developing time and even then I'm worried about how much of an offensive tool he can be. He needs to go to the right team that will develop him properly. I've also been lower on Markkanen because what is he really? His rebounding and lack of defense scare me and I would rather take an athlete that I don't have to be afraid about in Bolden.

1. Markelle Fultz
2. Malik Monk
3. De'Aaron Fox
4. Lonzo Ball
5. Dennis Smith Jr
6. Josh Jackson
7. Jayson Tatum
8. Jonathan Isaac
9. Frank Ntilikina
10. Zach Collins
11. Donovan Mitchell
12. Jonah Bolden
13. Lauri Markkanen
14. John Collins

Other guys who I think can push someone out of the lotto:
Anzejs Pasceniks
Bam Adebayo
DJ Wilson
OG Anunoby
Luke Kennard (but I don't think he deserves it)
Caleb Swanigan
TJ Leaf
Harry Giles
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:Bell is exactly the same age Buddy Hield was a year ago.

My bad, I thought he was 23. I still think it's a stretch to take a 22 year old that can't shoot in the lottery. Teams do love him though and he's a much-needed type of player.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:29 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Bell is exactly the same age Buddy Hield was a year ago.

My bad, I thought he was 23. I still think it's a stretch to take a 22 year old that can't shoot in the lottery. Teams do love him though and he's a much-needed type of player.

My thing with Denver is who can play with Jokic at the 4? OG may be the other option but he can't shoot either. I think it's going to be really tough for them to find a frontcourt partner for him.

Return to NBA Draft