Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

By-the-numbers breakdown of this Center class 

Post#1 » by Notanoob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:59 am

Vitals
I’m going to post all of the numbers on these guys but they aren’t that interesting. Most of these guys aren’t that spectacular, and a lot of them played really limited minutes so you can’t even take their numbers that seriously.

Overall Offense
Don’t get sucked in by the numbers here too much. Only Mika, Bam, Meeks, Allen and Bryant played real minutes or weren’t already covered in my thread on PFs.

Penetration
It’s silly to still call this section “Penetration”, but whatever. Thomas Bryant was the only guy who didn’t finish well but he did have to make his own shot more than most other Cs. Meeks was the only other guy creating his own looks much at all.

Shooting
Bryant and Collins look like they can shoot, Patton hit a few threes but not his free throws so don’t bet on him shooting in the NBA.

Passing
No really exceptional passers here, plenty of bad ones. Obviously not a big deal for centers.

Defense
Just like with the PFs, guys who are anchoring their team’s defense typically aren’t going to see too much separation between their DRtg and their team’s DRtg, and good defensive bigs will lead good team defenses. Unfortunately, too many guys played limited minutes to get a great sample size.

Overall
Again, these can be all over the place for a variety of reasons.

Player Evaluations
Eric Mika – I don’t think that he has the size or length to play in the NBA, but hey, BYU’s defense was pretty good with him in the middle and he led them in scoring. He can even pass a little. Maybe he can play, I’m not going to pretend I watched BYU games so I don’t know.

Tony Bradley – He didn’t play enough minutes for me to say anything about him substantial. Didn’t blow me away when I watched him but he’s got freakish length and is really young.

Kenedy Meeks – I liked watching him play and he rates well here mostly but I don’t know that I see him doing much in the NBA. He just isn’t that tall or mobile. I like Bryce Johnson a lot better.

Bam Adbayo – He seems like a simply, solid big. A bit short for the position, but he anchored a great defense, dunked and played with energy. Sometimes you don’t need more than that from your C.

Jarrett Allen – You’d expect a guy like him getting coached by Shaka Smart would lead to great defense, but Texas’ defense was unimpressive. Took too many shot away from the rim, didn’t hit his free throws, just didn’t impress. I know that he’s really long but I expected more of him.

Thomas Bryant – He’s got some talent since he hit threes, passed okay for a big and he’s another really long guy, but he’s mistake prone and Indiana’s defense should have been way better with him an O.G. there. That speaks badly for him. Obviously if he can clean up his mistakes and play some better defense he’ll be a great asset, so he’s deserves to get drafted.

Harry Giles – Impossible to say what he can do after all of those injuries. Wish him the best.

Chance Comanche – He didn’t play a lot of minutes and really didn’t get many blocks at all for a center. Supposedly he can shoot jumpers and his FT% is good, but I don’t think anyone is that interested in him.

Ike Abigbogu – Super raw guy with nice tools, but he clearly is learning. Presumably with a lot of coaching he could be a nice athletic shot blocker and finisher, but don’t expect too much out of him right away.

Well, I got them all out before the draft was over.

Return to NBA Draft