Can Bacon sizzle in NBA?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,672

Can Bacon sizzle in NBA? 

Post#1 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:34 am

I watched a few of his games last season. He looks like a nice two-way player (esp rebounding), and draws a lot of fouls when driving to the rim. His FT% are quite good, though not spectacular. I also like his physical attributes. Thoughts?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Can Bacon sizzle in NBA? 

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

I have a weird hangup about guys with really weird names that are easily made fun of. I feel like it's harder for those types to be stars.

I was even skeptical about Anthony Davis because his name is so basic and mundane.

Mostly joking :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I have a weird hangup about guys with really weird names that are easily made fun of. I feel like it's harder for those types to be stars.

I was even skeptical about Anthony Davis because his name is so basic and mundane.

Mostly joking :lol:

Bacon is pretty tame compared to some other sports people. :lol:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/people-with-the-most-unfortunate-names-in-sport?utm_term=.cmm45enV9#.jbABGX1pJ
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am

he is a bullyball type player with very little skill, has strength and athleticism to display that game in college or europe but not in the nba, total non-passer, meh shooter, not really a 2-way guy either, my bet is that he ends up making money in China
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#5 » by The-Power » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Fischella wrote:he is a bullyball type player with very little skill, has strength and athleticism to display that game in college or europe but not in the nba, total non-passer, meh shooter, not really a 2-way guy either, my bet is that he ends up making money in China

Agreed with all the above. I'd also add that he's super lazy with attitude concerns surrounding him. I would not have drafted him.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Fischella wrote:he is a bullyball type player with very little skill, has strength and athleticism to display that game in college or europe but not in the nba, total non-passer, meh shooter, not really a 2-way guy either, my bet is that he ends up making money in China

Charlotte was a terrible destination for him too. I know the Hornets really liked him last year before he dropped out of the draft too. He needs to be on a running team because he's not a good defender. His skills are running, dunking and shooting an occasional 3. Fast offensive minded teams would have been best for him. The reason I don't think he'll make it is because he hasn't improved. I could convince myself if I saw some improvement from him, but I haven't. Even in workouts teams didn't like his defense so I'm not sure what to think.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm

I really don't understand players like this. I mean don't their agents tell them that they aren't going to survive in the league unless they actually put in the effort? A guy like Bacon if he applied himself on defense and simply tried to be "nice", might actually carve out a career. Instead, he'll probably be out of the league in a year or two.

Don't these guys want to earn a living? I just don't get it. If a guy can't shoot, he's going to work his ass off to improve his shot. If you're an ****, you just have to stop being an ****. Shouldn't that be easy for most people when literally millions of $$$ is on the line? #SMDH
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by No-Man » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm

I think Charlotte is actually an okay spot for him, they need somebody that can grab&go and score from the bench, Bacon might be able to bully some smallish bench wings, I just don't believe in his long-term upside as a contributor.

Having said that he has NBA athleticism, not exceptional but good enough, and strength, same.
And if someone can drill through his head that he ain't a star and needs to work on his skills to stick to the league maybe he can get there, I just think he is too far behind and he is old as **** for a soph, so not sure he has it in him, and he def has been touted as a stud all his life, so it's gonna be different for him, maybe he is okay with just getting to the league, do the same and end up in China, maybe he is hungry enough to actually get better, we will see.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Fischella wrote:I think Charlotte is actually an okay spot for him, they need somebody that can grab&go and score from the bench, Bacon might be able to bully some smallish bench wings, I just don't believe in his long-term upside as a contributor.

Having said that he has NBA athleticism, not exceptional but good enough, and strength, same.
And if someone can drill through his head that he ain't a star and needs to work on his skills to stick to the league maybe he can get there, I just think he is too far behind and he is old as **** for a soph, so not sure he has it in him, and he def has been touted as a stud all his life, so it's gonna be different for him, maybe he is okay with just getting to the league, do the same and end up in China, maybe he is hungry enough to actually get better, we will see.

But he can't dribble. Maybe he becomes a slasher. Other than that, agreed.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#10 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 am

Will he get smoked on defense?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#11 » by DrCoach » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Looks like a poor mans Shabazz Mohammed
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#12 » by Masterfully » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:28 am

+1 for cheesey thread title.

I wonder who's going to... bring him home!
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#13 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:11 am

FYI, Dwayne's official nickname is "The Policeman."
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by LordCovington33 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:28 am

The-Power wrote:

Agreed with all the above. I'd also add that he's super lazy with attitude concerns surrounding him. I would not have drafted him.

Attitude concerns, or was he simply hamming it up?

My impression of him in college was that he would make a solid player coming off the bench. He had a knack of driving to the basketball and getting an And1.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 11:40 pm

I know it is just SL, but he just dropped 29 points. He got to the line a lot - 7/7 FTs.
mrm5480
Junior
And1: 67

Post#16 » by mrm5480 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 3:10 am

Reminds me of Born Ready
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,833

Post#17 » by Diop » Fri Jul 7, 2017 4:25 am

mrm5480 wrote:Reminds me of Born Ready

god, please no.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 6:29 am

I have to admit I'm surprised he's playing well defensively, but I still question if he can defend real NBA players. A lot of the dribble moves he showed off won't work in a real NBA game though. At the same time he showed potential. Still don't think he has a high IQ or good feel for the game, but I think there will be a place for him in the NBA.
nuraman00
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#19 » by nuraman00 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:02 am

Catchall wrote:Will he get smoked on defense?

Good post.
nuraman00
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#20 » by nuraman00 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:03 am

mrm5480 wrote:Reminds me of Born Ready

Lance Stephenson, right?

Return to NBA Draft