All Things Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: Is Luka Dončić 2018 NBA draft 1st pick? 

Post#1221 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Oct 4, 2017 7:25 pm

Right. Doncic is much more skilled than Lebron at a similar age. That's inarguable. LeBron has him in athleticism.

They are two of the greatest prospects in NBA history. Easily.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
pacersGM
Junior
And1: 53

Post#1222 » by pacersGM » Thu Oct 5, 2017 3:37 am

Mirotic12 wrote:]

If you consider EuroCup (level below EuroLeague) to be a "very high level", then you have a completely different definition of "very high level", than I do. In fact, in Europe, no one , absolutely no one considers EuroCup a very high level, and it's clearly a better level of basketball overall than that EuroBasket was. [b]The best FIBA Champions League teams would roll through teams like Russia, that was 4th in the tournament, and almost beat Spain for a medal.

who said that? you are claiming the eurocup is at the same level as eurobasket :) thats crazy :) the eurobaskets elimination rounds was some of the best basketball played in europe in the last decade. - all the experts said that, so im shure you have some insider info on the eurocup and that it will take of to a level similar to the nba-s. :)

mirotic4, seems you feel like trolling again? :)

im shure given the chance spanoulis would DOMINATE the nba guards, like teodosic seems to according to you, by watching 2 quarters of pre-season games in hawaii :)?
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1223 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:40 am

I don't think Doncic can be top pick unless he's playing and projected to be the PG on offense.
pacersGM
Junior
And1: 53

Post#1224 » by pacersGM » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:05 am

HoopsMalone wrote:Right. Doncic is much more skilled than Lebron at a similar age. That's inarguable. LeBron has him in athleticism.

you inarguable live in your own world :)
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#1225 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:26 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:I don't think Doncic can be top pick unless he's playing and projected to be the PG on offense.

He was playing small forward with Slovene national team, and the same now with Real Madrid. I don't see where it matters at all. He was certainly most likely going to end up being a small forward, whether it was NBA, EuroLeague or whatever.

It is very obvious that he was used as a point guard last year because he wasn't physically capable of playing against shooting guards and small forwards for any consistent time. His coach used him as a point guard, because of his physical weakness and so that hid him on defense. He also gained a good advantage on offense, because he could shoot and pass over other smaller players. He was not playing that way because that was going to be his eventual position, he was playing that way because he needed to do so in order to survive in leagues like ACB and EuroLeague, as a high school senior.

It was pretty clear from the start, that he was probably not going to be a point guard as he got older. So him not playing point guard should have zero effect on his draft status.

Besides that, he will get plenty of touches in screen roll, and that's all that really matters that way. It's like thinking LeBron's draft status would suffer because he was touching the ball, but was not a point guard. Does not even matter.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,648

Post#1226 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 6:29 pm

My biggest question on Doncic is probably the same as most and it's his athleticism. Now I haven't caught a full game of his I'm just curious some players he might be similar with athletically. He does seem extremely skilled and a great passer and perfect form on his jumper, so if he's say Tobias Harris level of athleticism I still think he should become a stud offensively.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,786

Post#1227 » by UcanUwill » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:My biggest question on Doncic is probably the same as most and it's his athleticism. Now I haven't caught a full game of his I'm just curious some players he might be similar with athletically. He does seem extremely skilled and a great passer and perfect form on his jumper, so if he's say Tobias Harris level of athleticism I still think he should become a stud offensively.

He needs to work on his body. Have you guys seen his shirtless tattooing photos, zero muscle tone. As of right now, he is less defined Even Turner with a good 3 point shot.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1228 » by Marcus » Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:My biggest question on Doncic is probably the same as most and it's his athleticism. Now I haven't caught a full game of his I'm just curious some players he might be similar with athletically. He does seem extremely skilled and a great passer and perfect form on his jumper, so if he's say Tobias Harris level of athleticism I still think he should become a stud offensively.

He needs to work on his body. Have you guys seen his shirtless tattooing photos, zero muscle tone. As of right now, he is less defined Even Turner with a good 3 point shot.

being 18 that should come with the training he will receive in the NBA.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#1229 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Oct 7, 2017 9:07 pm

Marcus wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

being 18 that should come with the training he will receive in the NBA.

I said before here, he needed to lose weight, not gain it, and I got called out big time. But that was the truth, he was already at 230 pounds as a high school senior, and obviously, he needed to lose weight, but some people here said he needed to gain 20 to 30 pounds.

He actually needs to trim down. But as for the NBA doing that, unless they roid him up, I doubt it. Real Madrid's training program is as advanced and as intense as anything in the NBA. And he has been in that program for years already.

So just being in an NBA training program won't do anything for that. He just does not have a naturally athletic body. The Gasol brothers are the same way....they never had a naturally athletic body, and still don't, no matter how long they trained in the NBA.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#1230 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:01 am

He needs to lose FAT, not weight. There's a big difference. He needs to lose a bit of fat and add a similar amount of muscle. Even losing just 15 pounds of fat and gaining 15 pounds of muscle over the next couple of years would do wonders, but that's obviously easier said than done, especially the muscle part. Losing fat is really easy, though.

It's true that he's not really going to gain much by simply getting NBA training. He's training at the biggest sports club on the planet, they have to know what they're doing.

Roids could be a different story, though. If/when he starts taking them his body is going to improve tremendously. But it's possible that he's already using some (not saying he is, it seems unlikely, but you never know), people would be shocked just how rampant the use of PEDs is in professional sports.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,786

Post#1231 » by UcanUwill » Sun Oct 8, 2017 11:52 am

It all depends on work ethic. all sports franchises have good trainers and training problem, but if you really want to transform your body, you have to work overtime.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#1232 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:04 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:Right. Doncic is much more skilled than Lebron at a similar age. That's inarguable. LeBron has him in athleticism.

I will be screenshotting this post for future reference.

And by reference I mean laughter.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#1233 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:10 pm

SportsGuy8 wrote:He needs to lose FAT, not weight. There's a big difference. He needs to lose a bit of fat and add a similar amount of muscle. Even losing just 15 pounds of fat and gaining 15 pounds of muscle over the next couple of years would do wonders, but that's obviously easier said than done, especially the muscle part. Losing fat is really easy, though.

It's true that he's not really going to gain much by simply getting NBA training. He's training at the biggest sports club on the planet, they have to know what they're doing.

Roids could be a different story, though. If/when he starts taking them his body is going to improve tremendously. But it's possible that he's already using some (not saying he is, it seems unlikely, but you never know), people would be shocked just how rampant the use of PEDs is in professional sports.

I've seen his frame, he's never going to be ripped or anything much like someone else mentioned the Gasol brothers, but he needs to work on his core.

He doesn't have to have a six pack to have a strong core (Harden), he just needs to get strong there and everything else will align itself.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1234 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:10 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:

It's really not close. Doncic is by FAR more skilled than Lebron at the same age. If you can't recognize that I'd question even the most basic analysis you provide.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#1235 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:16 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:

It's really not close. Doncic is by FAR more skilled than Lebron at the same age. If you can't recognize that I'd question even the most basic analysis you provide.

I could easily debate that LeBron was par with Donuc as a ball handler and passer coming out of high school but that's not even what I took issue with.

Donic being one of the "greatest prospects in NBA history" is absolutely comical.
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1236 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:35 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:

I could easily debate that LeBron was par with Donuc as a ball handler and passer coming out of high school but that's not even what I took issue with.

Donic being one of the "greatest prospects in NBA history" is absolutely comical.

And I could easily debate that Doncic's handle is on par with Lebron's RIGHT NOW. That's how underrated Doncic is by the consensus on this board. Lebron's handle is trash for an elite playmaker. Absolute trash. His shooting is remarkably average for an elite scorer. Lebron is highly skilled for a player of his size and athleticism. If he was 6'2 he'd be an afterthought in the the league.

Doncic's skill level as an 18 year old with his size is off the charts. If it continues to progress he will be an ELITE NBA player, period. There is some type of bias that currently exists with Doncic. Whether that's racial, xenophobic, or recency I'm not sure. I don't care to expand on that topic. Just understand that it exists. Doncic is a prospect of the rarest breed. To compare him to stiffs like Michael Porter, Jr. will look absolutely silly in a few months.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#1237 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:39 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

And I could easily debate that Doncic's handle is on par with Lebron's RIGHT NOW. That's how underrated Doncic is by the consensus on this board. Lebron's handle is trash for an elite playmaker. Absolute trash. His shooting is remarkably average for an elite scorer. Lebron is highly skilled for a player of his size and athleticism. If he was 6'2 he'd be an afterthought in the the league.

Doncic's skill level as an 18 year old with his size is off the charts. If it continues to progress he will be an ELITE NBA player, period. There is some type of bias that currently exists with Doncic. Whether that's racial, xenophobic, or recency I'm not sure. I don't care to expand on that topic. Just understand that it exists. Doncic is a prospect of the rarest breed. To compare him to stiffs like Michael Porter, Jr. will look absolutely silly in a few months.

Bolded are two of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this board.

Let's make every NBA great 6'2 and see how they would fare. That's an excellent way to prove a point. Shaq would've been horrible if he was 6'2, amirite?
HoopsMalone
Veteran

Post#1238 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:54 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:

Let's make every NBA great 6'2 and see how they would fare. That's an excellent way to prove a point. Shaq would've been horrible if he was 6'2, amirite?

To answer your question. Yes. Shaq would have been a horrible player with his skillset at 6'2. I highly doubt he would have made a roster. His athleticism was ELITE for a man of his size. His skills were well below average of that of your typical NBA player.

That you can not understand such basis analysis is a reflection of your lack of understanding of the game. Not mine.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#1239 » by ItsThatEasy » Sun Oct 8, 2017 4:55 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:

To answer your question. Yes. Shaq would have been a horrible player with his skillset at 6'2. I highly doubt he would have made a roster. His athleticism was ELITE for a man of his size. His skills were well below average of that of your typical NBA player.

That you can not understand such basis analysis is a reflection of your lack of understanding of the game. Not mine.

The fact that you can't understand sarcasm is quite entertaining.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#1240 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:36 pm

Doncic was supposedly just officially measured at 6-6 1/2 barefoot.....so we can finally stop with the "he is 6-9, 6-10, 6-11" posts....

Return to NBA Draft