All Things Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Re: All Things Luka Doncic 

Post#2341 » by UcanUwill » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:55 am

Wagonband wrote:Since i never followed Euroleague much, i've just done some quick look at stats. Doncic has the highest Index Rating if he can keep it at this level in the last 10 years (at least) in Euroleague. At 18y old. Wow

Yeah, he is unprecedented case
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Post#2342 » by UcanUwill » Sat Dec 9, 2017 10:33 am

OT, but just by watching yesterdays game I realized I have no idea what Valter Tavares' nationality is. Cape Verdean, wow, thats exotic.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#2343 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:46 am

Campazzo injured ankle today. It looked very painful.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#2344 » by J_T » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Regardless of what is being thought of Campazzo, that can't be good for Real. Fortunately if there is one injury that often (not always and I'm not claiming that's the case here) looks worse than it later turns out to be, it's sprained ankle.

Laso already has tremendous difficulties to rest main players, Doncic included and this would make it even harder. Although not sure it actually works. In this game he pretty much started with bench players and he couldn't keep it for long. I think it wouldn't be the end of the world if they tanked an ACB game or two and limit Doncic/Reyes' minutes to 15. How many minutes Doncic had to play today in this crappy game, 30?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2345 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

J_T wrote:Regardless of what is being thought of Campazzo, that can't be good for Real. Fortunately if there is one injury that often (not always and I'm not claiming that's the case here) looks worse than it later turns out to be, it's sprained ankle.

Laso already has tremendous difficulties to rest main players, Doncic included and this would make it even harder. Although not sure it actually works. In this game he pretty much started with bench players and he couldn't keep it for long. I think it wouldn't be the end of the world if they tanked an ACB game or two and limit Doncic/Reyes' minutes to 15. How many minutes Doncic had to play today in this crappy game, 30?

Rudy didn’t play too. But Real has even bigger problem. They’re playing incredible bad. Today they won after OT against Murcia, who was 10 seconds before 3 points and 2 Fts infront. They missed both Fts and Thompkins made 3s in last second for OT. And he made another 3s in the end of OT to win the game. Real at the moment is playing like results suggest, low end of Euroleague.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#2346 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Campazzo is a tough cookie, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back very soon.

Doncic is now going to go full on Harden mode. :D

He's really going to get run to the ground. Today he again played too many minutes (due to another OT, though), less than 2 days after the last game. And since he's way too important for Real right now (even more-so than Harden is for the Rockets), Laso doesn't really have much choice.

I really don't like this.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,687

Post#2347 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Playing too much is never a good thing, but I'm sure they are smart about it, at least to some degree. It's good to have high usage experience, since that is likely what awaits him in the NBA.
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#2348 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Yes, high usage experience is great. But I'm not too sure if Real really realizes under how much stress it's players are now with this ridic schedule.

Based on the reports, Euroleague teams still practice way too much, something that's unsustainable with the schedule now.
BeibsInTheTrap
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#2349 » by BeibsInTheTrap » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Im not saying this as a slight to doncic as i have only seen highlights, but can someone tell me whats so special about him?

He is an average athlete, doesn't seem like a great shooter, has pretty good handles and passing ability, but I'm not seeing anything else
narcolepsy
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#2350 » by narcolepsy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Where did this narrative that he's not a good shooter come? He's scoring 21 ppg, 50% fg, 37% from 3pt line (which would be % or two higher if half court attempts werent included), 88% from FT line. Most of his shots are pull ups, sure atm he's not Curry, but he's got NBA range and potential to become a really deadly shooter. He's getting these numbers while being the only reliable player in Real this season, teams double team him a lot.
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#2351 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 pm

BeibsInTheTrap wrote:Im not saying this as a slight to doncic as i have only seen highlights, but can someone tell me whats so special about him?

He is an average athlete, doesn't seem like a great shooter, has pretty good handles and passing ability, but I'm not seeing anything else

The highlights make him gross injustice. He also looks slower on tape than he actually is, because of his body structure, unorthodox movement and the fact that he's playing against grown men. If he played in the NCAA he would look a whole lot faster and athletic.

He's probably going to end up being a great shooter. Shooting takes a while since muscle memory plays a huge part. He should end up being close to 40% 3pt shooter.

He's also an elite rebounder for his position.

But it's his understanding of the game that sets him apart. Even last year, when he was 17, he regularly looked as the smartest and even WISEST player on a team stacked with veterans (and almost half of the team were former NBA players). He just keeps making the right plays (except for his step-back-threes).

It's hard to explain, he's just good at basketball. Like when Porzingis got in foul trouble, he immediately attacked him on the following possession and scored over him with ease. Or how he keeps using his body (and big ass :lol: ) to put his defender in jail, basically performing a reverse-post-up, and then when the defender battles to get in-front, Doncic ends up with an easy, basically unblockable shot since his defender is completely out of position and balance. It's something I don't really remember seeing much from other players, but he keeps doing it with success.

Not the best examples, but you can see 2 examples of it at 1:15 and 4:30. He keeps successfully doing this in virtually every game:

It's these little things that make him so special. He's just good at basketball. Much like how Messi is simply good at football. (no, I'm not implying he's going to end up being THAT good)
J_T
Veteran

Post#2352 » by J_T » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm

BeibsInTheTrap wrote:I'm not seeing anything else

Sorry to hear that but I'm sure you have other talents.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2353 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Barca has lost at home against Tenerife. It would be great game against two teams in very miserable form. Real because injuries and nobody knows what’s wrong with Barca.
J_T
Veteran

Post#2354 » by J_T » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Barcelona is one of the most disappointing teams of the season. Their off-season looked pretty decent.

Highlights from today:

Interesting decision they made at the end for Doncic to miss FT intentionally. It worked out... somehow.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#2355 » by XTraderXL » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 am

BeibsInTheTrap wrote:Im not saying this as a slight to doncic as i have only seen highlights, but can someone tell me whats so special about him?

You have players that look like superstars in highlights but are basically Lonzo Ball in real life and then you have Doncic who is the opposite. If you want to know why the hype around him, you really have to watch the whole games. Highlights are really not doing him justice. Compare Hezonja and Doncic highlights from Europe and you may think Hezonja is a far superior player when in fact there is no comparison between them, Doncic is 2 levels above.
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

All Things Luka Doncic 

Post#2356 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am

BBALL Daily says Doncic at this stage is closer to a finished product and can see him end up being a borderline all star, while Ayton, Bagley, and Porter have superstar potential. What do u think?
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#2357 » by baldur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:22 am

Bob8 wrote:Barca has lost at home against Tenerife. It would be great game against two teams in very miserable form. Real because injuries and nobody knows what’s wrong with Barca.

not surprising since they still rely on the corpse of juan carlos navarro.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#2358 » by baldur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 am

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:BBALL Daily says Doncic at this stage is closer to a finished product and can see him end up being a borderline all star, while Ayton, Bagley, and Porter have superstar potential. What do u think?

i dont think an 18 year old one is a finished product. he can still improve his shooting, his defense, his court vision. not to mention he is going to have to adjust to another environment with the nba. but it is kind of obvious he is going to start for teams like atlanta, dallas and chicago and contribute from the beginning.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2359 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 am

baldur wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Barca has lost at home against Tenerife. It would be great game against two teams in very miserable form. Real because injuries and nobody knows what’s wrong with Barca.

not surprising since they still rely on the corpse of juan carlos navarro.

JCN was with 22 points in 19 minutes far the best player yesterday and that’s really not the best sign for Barca.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,687

Post#2360 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 am

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:BBALL Daily says Doncic at this stage is closer to a finished product and can see him end up being a borderline all star, while Ayton, Bagley, and Porter have superstar potential. What do u think?

They are idiots, and clearly hasn't watched Doncic play enough. This is the first year when he is actually an offensively aggressive player. His first year with high usage. He can improve everything, his body, his shot, his floaters, post game, passing, court vision, everything. None of these are perfect yet, and yet he shows glimpses that one day, these attributes could all be close to or at an elite level.

Return to NBA Draft