All Things Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Re: Is Luka Dončić 2018 NBA draft 1st pick? 

Post#261 » by Bob8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Is defense really that important for Eurolegue pg/sg? Teodosic is incredible bad defender, Larkin incredible bad defender, De Colo bad defender, Spanoulis bad defender, Goudelock incredible bad defender, Heurtel incredible bad defender, Langford bad defender, Llull very bad in defense last year...Sergio Rodriguez is coming back this year and he's bad defender too.
And don't forget that Doncic is far the best rebounder from this group.
Because of Llull's absence Doncic will play more minutes and take more shots and this is not even debatable.

Llull and Spanoulis are most definitely not bad defenders. Llull can't play as much defense when his coach has him running every set. No player can do that. It does not mean he's bad at defense. He's OK at guarding most point guards (just not the ones with a good first step), and he's very good at guarding shooting guards.

Spanoulis is a very good defender. He has elite lateral quickness and can keep all the guards in front of him. The only time he struggles on defense, is when Olympiacos uses that super small 4 guard lineup and he ends up having to guard small forwards and power forwards. That's just a result of an offensive gimmick from his coach. When he's guarding at the guard position, he's very good on defense.

So those two should in no way count as bad defenders. If they are bad defenders, then every single player in Europe is bad at defense.

You have a point in, Llull can't play much defense when he has to do so much on offense, and when Olympiacos goes way small for 5-10 minutes a game, Spanoulis sometimes gets posted or has bigger guys shot over him. Other than that, both are quite good at defense, and certainly better than Doncic is.

As far as defense not mattering at point guard in EuroLeague.........I think it does not matter at all (not even 1%) in NBA. But yes, it matters in EuroLeague. That's why for example, CSKA had to have a guy like Aaron Jackson all those years, because Teodosic and De Colo (he should be on your "incredible bad defender" list and not just "bad defender" list) are so horrible on defense.

You have a valid argument, as it applies to the NBA. It's absolutely totally meaningless in NBA, where not a single point guard can guard anyone, and the rules actually make it impossible to do so. But unfortunately for Doncic, he's not going to be playing defense against point guards in NBA. He will be guarding wings, where the defense does matter some.

In EuroLeague terms, yes it matters. I can remember the whole time Jasekivicius was in Panathinaikos, they had Spanoulis guarding the one, and Diamantidis always guarding the best offensive wing of the opponent, and they almost always played zones when he was in the games......He would go to the bench, and almost immediately man to man schemes would come.

I was talking about last years Euroleague. The best guards didn't do much in defense. Llull has the tools but didn't even try to do something and Spanoulis is too old or always having some kind of injury to play good defense. Others (Teo, Heurtel, Larkin, Goudelock, De Colo, Langford....) are always very bad in defense but playing 30 minutes/game, Cska had many minutes, especially in last Q, Teo and De Colo together in the court, so I really can't understand why defense should be problem for Doncic, who's at least trying and has body advantage over this players. You can put him to guard sf it the guards are to quick to him. Where can you hide Teo, Larkin, Heurtel...? :wink:
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#262 » by burek3 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:31 am

All good, except you mentioned Spanoulis. You should know by now that any time his name is mentioned, Mirotic12 would be the first in line to slobber over his willy... :lol:

In any case, game Slovenia vs. Croatia starts today@1800 CET (more like 1815 probably). If i find a stream, will post it here (unless it's against the rules here).
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,794

Post#263 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 am

burek3 wrote:All good, except you mentioned Spanoulis. You should know by now that any time his name is mentioned, Mirotic12 would be the first in line to slobber over his willy... :lol:

In any case, game Slovenia vs. Croatia starts today@1800 CET (more like 1815 probably). If i find a stream, will post it here (unless it's against the rules here).

You can post legal streams, but not bootleg ones. I imagine its a national team game, so it should be nationally televised with streams, right?
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#264 » by juanc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:35 am

Yes, Luka choked in the end of the season, but this happened after he played 80+ games last season(30 regular season+4 against Darusaffaka+2 F4 in euroleague, 34 regular season+11 playoff games in ACB + 3 games in spanish cup). No oteh player who will be drafted in 2018 played so many games at the age of 17/18...
Can someone tell me how many games do they play in the NCAA( if they come to the finals)? ANd if Luka is a choker who do we call Fultz, who led the Washington team to an incredible score of 2/17? A SuperMegaExtra choker?

Now let me show you Luka's stats with the national team:
http://www.kzs.si/index.php?id=968&season_id=97039&league_id=undefined&player_id=156983
As you can see Luka is averaging 17.3 pts( 83% 2pt FG, 62,5% 3pt FG) in 22:35 min...

Today Luka will play against 3 NBA players(tho. Bender is a bust) and you can see it yourself how he can compete with them..
The game starts at 18:00 CET( Thats 10:30 or 11:00 ET if I'm not wrong)
Juree93
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#265 » by Juree93 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 am

UcanUwill wrote:
burek3 wrote:All good, except you mentioned Spanoulis. You should know by now that any time his name is mentioned, Mirotic12 would be the first in line to slobber over his willy... :lol:

You can post legal streams, but not bootleg ones. I imagine its a national team game, so it should be nationally televised with streams, right?

there probably wont be any streams from slovenian side (game is televised on some channel that doesnt have streams - A kanal).. but game is also televised on Croatian national channel (HTV 2) and i hope there we will have better luck.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#266 » by realEAST » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Juree93 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

there probably wont be any streams from slovenian side (game is televised on some channel that doesnt have streams - A kanal).. but game is also televised on Croatian national channel (HTV 2) and i hope there we will have better luck.

Not sure if it is available worldwide, but on official pages of HTV there should be a live stream of the game (I am counting on it at least)
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#267 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm

realEAST wrote:
Juree93 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Not sure if it is available worldwide, but on official pages of HTV there should be a live stream of the game (I am counting on it at least)

Ok thanks
Juree93
Freshman

Post#268 » by Juree93 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Juree93
Freshman

Post#269 » by Juree93 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Juree93 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

EDIT: please delete.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#270 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:03 pm

works, pretty good qualify considering. Just hoping for no lag.
kayath
Sophomore
And1: 202

Post#271 » by kayath » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#272 » by Stackey » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:22 pm

He outplayed Bojan Bogdanović in the first quarter, they are actually defending each other.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#273 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm

He looks great so far.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#274 » by juanc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Mirotic12 are you watching the game?
I'm totaly on your side now. Someone who shoots FTs 1:4 can't be NBA calibre
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#275 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Man his shot is money, just cant hit FT's strangely. Should be top player on Real next year, dont even bring scrubs like Campasso in the conversation.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#276 » by XTraderXL » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 pm

FTs are 95% concentration. You can see he is clearly frustrated with missed FTs, he just needs to calm down and get in the flow. I am not worried about it, if he can hit 3s at 70%, he will hit FTs as well.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#277 » by Bob8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:01 pm

If somebody has seen Doncic and Dragic for the first time, who would he think that is playing in Nba? :wink:

@Mirotic12

You're right, he won't avg. 18 points. :D
Goon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Post#278 » by Goon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Did EuroBasket already start? What a game between Slovenia and Croatia. Loved the intensity with which both teams played, did not seem like a friendly game at all.

Luka was fantastic. It's a shame Vidmar couldn't hit a WIDE OPEN layup to send the game to overtime. And it was Luka who brought them within 2 with a smooth 3 pointer and then stole the ball only for Vidmar to miss under the basket with 4 seconds to go.

If it could be said he played against poor competition in his first 3 appearances for Slovenia, it's not the case this time. So hard to comprehend he's only 18.

Šarić looked good as expected, Croatia's leader. Was a bit disappointed with Bender. Just seems a bit reserved, scared even. Needs to learn the mental side of the game from Šarić.
Juree93
Freshman

Post#279 » by Juree93 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:14 pm

Goon wrote:Did EuroBasket already start? What a game between Slovenia and Croatia. Loved the intensity with which both teams played, did not seem like a friendly game at all.

Luka was fantastic. It's a shame Vidmar couldn't hit a WIDE OPEN layup to send the game to overtime. And it was Luka who brought them within 2 with a smooth 3 pointer and then stole the ball only for Vidmar to miss under the basket with 4 seconds to go.

If it could be said he played against poor competition in his first 3 appearances for Slovenia, it's not the case this time. So hard to comprehend he's only 18.

Šarić looked good as expected, Croatia's leader. Was a bit disappointed with Bender. Just seems a bit reserved, scared even. Needs to learn the mental side of the game from Šarić.

2 more games against Croatia before tourney.. damn i just hope nobody gets injured in that intensity but it was great game.
kayath
Sophomore
And1: 202

Post#280 » by kayath » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Basketball games between ex Yugoslav, Balkan countries are never friendly so to speak. Few years back there was even a brawl between Greece and Serbia.

Return to NBA Draft