All Things Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Re: Is Luka Dončić 2018 NBA draft 1st pick? 

Post#761 » by guille_4 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:Are you serious? Most EuroCup teams would medal in this Eurobasket? HAHA They would get destroyed by most top 8 teams in the EB.
You think Slovenian NT is not better than Crvena Zvezda was last year? Slovenia is much better than they were last season and they would be at least in the PO. So would be Spain, Latvia, Srbija.... I agree with the F4 teams and even that is not a given. The games would be pretty close, at least with the top 4 EB teams.
Mate, you were completely wrong about Dragic and how he cant play under FIBA rules. He is clearly the best PG in the tournament and its not even that close. Basically all NBA players (or soon to be) are dominating and it wasnt really that hard to predict. So when you say these things its hard to take you seriously as you are too biased.

As far as for Doncic, he played an ok game, I am glad he is making his free throws consistently and that he is more aggressive on offense. I expect him to play similarly in Real this year and posting good numbers. Last season statistically he was their top 4 player, this season he will be their most productive player with no Llull on the team. He is just that good.

Anyone that thinks EuroBasket is as good as EuroLeague, or near it, or that it's better than best teams from EuropCup and Champions League - has never actually seen European club basketball, and that includes the so-called betting expert someone else mentioned. All you do with such posts is prove you never actually watch any European club basketball. No reason to keep arguing about it. It's incredibly obvious.

Doncic is playing great, he really is, but the comments about how this is Europe's top level (EuroBasket) are definitely incorrect. EuroBasket these days is a country mile and then some of a lower level than EuroLeague.

It's not helpful or constructive in the least at all, in fact, it's quite the opposite, to this discussion. Putting things in the proper context, and doing so objectively is what we should be doing here. Yet, many posts do the exact opposite of that.

I agree with you in that a lot of teams in the Eurobasket would lose to Eurocup teams, the Eurobasket is pretty weak at the bottom but I don't think it's weak at the top, despite injuries.

Last season BC Zalgiris and Crvena zvezda were both around 50% in the Euroleague. Do you think either one would medal in the Eurobasket?

Spain, Russia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, France, Greece, Serbia.

I don't think so.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#762 » by XTraderXL » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:48 pm

You apparently dont understand what we are saying. Most teams are not very good, you are correct. But top 5 or 6 teams in this Eurobasket could easily play in the EL and would all be fighting for a PO spot. There are quite a few teams in EL that are way worse than the semifinalists on this EB.
You really think this Slovenia team is not better than say Zvezda or Darussafaka which were both in the PO?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#763 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Marcus wrote:You guys seem to misunderstand the point here.

Doncic is doing good to great things against grown professional men, yes. That's all fine and good. It certainly helps his stock in the draft convos. I think teams will definitely take that into consideration when it comes to scouting and in June when it comes to drafting. But he's still in a big man draft class and size (despite what the rules will have you believe) is still king in the NBA and ESPECIALLY in June when they select kids to play in the NBA. Also take into consideration that as a NBA scout, coach, professional trainer, staff member etc etc I'd be prideful enough in my ability to teach a kid with size and physical gifts how to use them in the NBA.

I don't think anyone is discrediting his skillset or what he's doing at his age, it still comes down to translation, can he do these things against higher level athletes. Whether the skill is there or not on the opposition we're still talking about a higher tier physical makeup and athleticism. We're still talking about closing the gap in skill with being quicker with the adjustment, quicker recovery when beat, higher off the floor to contest, longer arms to bother the handle, better athletes to hedge the picks, and a slew of other things that come down to just movement in general.

DeAndre Ayton, Michael Porter Jr, Mo Bamba, Marvin Bagley, Trevon Duvall, Wendell Carter Jr, Robert Williams, Miles Bridges, regardless of whom they've played against clearly have the answers for most if not all of those questions. So as a staff member of an NBA team, I would be arrogant enough to believe I can develop enough skill in these kids to close the gap between them and Doncic, I could get them physically ready for the league, combine that with God given gifts, and put them miles ahead of Doncic in that respect and I would be compensated for just that purpose.

This whole argument about what Doncic would do against college kids and the which league is better thing is pretty irrelevant IMO. Neither is the NBA, neither plays the NBA game, both have something in common on a lower scale with the NBA that neither has in common with each other so it's a wash to me. Also not sold on "Doncic is playing professionally and they aren't so it matters" when these kids aren't allowed to do so for one, and if they were allotted the opportunity to play professionally as early as 16, there would be a large number of them given NBA or G-League contracts long before their 18 or 19 birthdays. So that's only as standout as it is due to the current rules.

I'm all for Doncic being great in the NBA. I want him to be great. I want as much talent in the league as possible. makes for a very entertaining league as a whole. I would hope that for all the skill and high IQ he has that he could become the next Larry Bird and be legendary without being an elite level athlete. Fact of the matter is though not being an elite level athlete does play a factor against him and in the favor of the other kids who have size advantages over him regardless of the gap in skill and IQ when it comes to drafting.

Question for those that know. Luka's end to end speed would be comparable to which NBAer and what's Luka's wingspan currently? Do we think he's done growing? how long has he been his current height? And these are legit questions for my general knowledge about him as a prospect not to bash or anything like that btw.

So I guess the best is to close this thread. He's not athletic enough and skills don't matter enough. He will never be number one. If questions like if he is done growing and how long he's is the most important about what kind of player he will be in Nba, there's really no reason to be here. (Wtf can know if he's stop growing?) We will see who is right or wrong next year. Bye.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#764 » by J_T » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm

I honestly am not sure if this thread is about predicting whether Doncic will be picked #1 or would the forum members pick him as number one? If former, it's going to be revealed in 2018, there will actually be correct and incorrect opinions, objectively. If latter, then there's way too much discussion going on. People still have 5 different opinions on who is better, Kobe or LeBron. Nobody will ever be "proven" right or wrong.

Question for those that know. Luka's end to end speed would be comparable to which NBAer

No idea. I think that offensively his speed is not going to be an issue, though. He looks to be relatively fast with the ball (long step) and relatively slower without the ball. His weakness at the moment seems to be more related to feet quickness than it is to end to end speed, in my opinion, especially when handling the ball. By his own admission quickness is something they are working on with the coaches. From the research I know, black boys physically mature faster than white as well, and Doncic is nowhere close to being physically mature. NBA fitness coaches especially will be able to do miracles with him, in my opinion.
and what's Luka's wingspan currently?

Has been asked before by many people and the consensus seems to be that his wingspan is average for a 6-7 player. Not shorter, not longer. But I don't think that such measurement officially exists. Yet.

Do we think he's done growing? how long has he been his current height?

I believe that he might be done growing, although he has been growing so far. (His listed height a year ago was 6-6). His father is 201 cm, which is just slightly over 6-7. These heights all seem to be without shoes, from what I understand. From comparing photos taken 12-15 months ago it definitely does look like he grew an inch, nothing strange there.
kayath
Sophomore
And1: 202

Post#765 » by kayath » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Its irelevant if this Eurobasket is on Euroleague lvl or not, its like comparing apples with oranges all i care is seeing good basketball and we have seen some pretty good basketball.

I think what Luka is doing is pretty amazing and we havent seen this kind of preformance from a 18 year old long time.
I doubt he will have such good game against Spaniards but i hope he suprises us again.
J_T
Veteran

Post#766 » by J_T » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Bob8 wrote:So I guess the best is to close this thread. He's not athletic enough and skills don't matter enough. He will never be number one. If questions like if he is done growing and how long he's is the most important about what kind of player he will be in Nba, there's really no reason to be here. (Wtf can know if he's stop growing?) We will see who is right or wrong next year. Bye.

From what I saw, there have been only two guys where it's hard to decide whether they are serious or trolling. Everything else looks like a solid skepticism. Just ignore those two, nobody takes them seriously.

Is he going to be picked number one? I don't know. I believe I will know a week before the draft. It depends from the team having the first pick as well. I am pretty certain that some teams would draft him higher than others.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#767 » by Derento » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Doncic is doing good to great things against grown professional men, yes. That's all fine and good. It certainly helps his stock in the draft convos. I think teams will definitely take that into consideration when it comes to scouting and in June when it comes to drafting. But he's still in a big man draft class and size (despite what the rules will have you believe) is still king in the NBA and ESPECIALLY in June when they select kids to play in the NBA. Also take into consideration that as a NBA scout, coach, professional trainer, staff member etc etc I'd be prideful enough in my ability to teach a kid with size and physical gifts how to use them in the NBA.

I don't think anyone is discrediting his skillset or what he's doing at his age, it still comes down to translation, can he do these things against higher level athletes. Whether the skill is there or not on the opposition we're still talking about a higher tier physical makeup and athleticism. We're still talking about closing the gap in skill with being quicker with the adjustment, quicker recovery when beat, higher off the floor to contest, longer arms to bother the handle, better athletes to hedge the picks, and a slew of other things that come down to just movement in general.

DeAndre Ayton, Michael Porter Jr, Mo Bamba, Marvin Bagley, Trevon Duvall, Wendell Carter Jr, Robert Williams, Miles Bridges, regardless of whom they've played against clearly have the answers for most if not all of those questions. So as a staff member of an NBA team, I would be arrogant enough to believe I can develop enough skill in these kids to close the gap between them and Doncic, I could get them physically ready for the league, combine that with God given gifts, and put them miles ahead of Doncic in that respect and I would be compensated for just that purpose.

This whole argument about what Doncic would do against college kids and the which league is better thing is pretty irrelevant IMO. Neither is the NBA, neither plays the NBA game, both have something in common on a lower scale with the NBA that neither has in common with each other so it's a wash to me. Also not sold on "Doncic is playing professionally and they aren't so it matters" when these kids aren't allowed to do so for one, and if they were allotted the opportunity to play professionally as early as 16, there would be a large number of them given NBA or G-League contracts long before their 18 or 19 birthdays. So that's only as standout as it is due to the current rules.

I'm all for Doncic being great in the NBA. I want him to be great. I want as much talent in the league as possible. makes for a very entertaining league as a whole. I would hope that for all the skill and high IQ he has that he could become the next Larry Bird and be legendary without being an elite level athlete. Fact of the matter is though not being an elite level athlete does play a factor against him and in the favor of the other kids who have size advantages over him regardless of the gap in skill and IQ when it comes to drafting.

Question for those that know. Luka's end to end speed would be comparable to which NBAer and what's Luka's wingspan currently? Do we think he's done growing? how long has he been his current height? And these are legit questions for my general knowledge about him as a prospect not to bash or anything like that btw.

He has a 8'9 1/2 Standing Reach
Here's P3 comments on him based on 2016 summer measurements/testing:

Luka has spent a few weeks at P3 the past two summers. Luka combines outstanding anthropometric measurements, including an 8'9.5" standing reach (88th percentile for NBA guards) and 228.8 lbs of mass with very competitive and improving movement qualities. In the lateral plane, Luka's ability to abduct the hip (1 dev above the mean) allows him to generate Force more efficiently than most NBA players that we've assessed (71st percentile in lateral acceleration). He's become particularly adept in a change-of-direction environment, where his Slide Agility times outpace most NBA Guards tested at P3 and they've improved by roughly 0.25s in the past year. Vertically, Luka ranks better than 73% of NBA guards in height touched during the approach and his improved his countermovement jump by 2 inches in the past year. He's good now, he's still getting better, and he's well within his physical development window!
kayath
Sophomore

Post#768 » by kayath » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Yeah was looking for this. Just keep in mind this was last summer.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#769 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

J_T wrote:
Bob8 wrote:So I guess the best is to close this thread. He's not athletic enough and skills don't matter enough. He will never be number one. If questions like if he is done growing and how long he's is the most important about what kind of player he will be in Nba, there's really no reason to be here. (Wtf can know if he's stop growing?) We will see who is right or wrong next year. Bye.

From what I saw, there have been only two guys where it's hard to decide whether they are serious or trolling. Everything else looks like a solid skepticism. Just ignore those two, nobody takes them seriously.

Is he going to be picked number one? I don't know. I believe I will know a week before the draft. It depends from the team having the first pick as well. I am pretty certain that some teams would draft him higher than others.

I even don't care if he will be drafted first. But what's the point of discussion, if someone is telling, he's not athletic enough and Athleticism is the most and almost only important thing if you want to be a star. Ergo, he will never be better than solid starter. But we can discuss if he is still growing, how long he's and similar. Why? If everything is predetermined.;)
kayath
Sophomore

Post#770 » by kayath » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 pm

Does it mater if he goes first or fifth? Its all about his development and which team can use his skillset to full potential.
J_T
Veteran

Post#771 » by J_T » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Derento wrote:He has a 8'9 1/2 Standing Reach

Luka has spent a few weeks at P3 the past two summers. Luka combines outstanding anthropometric measurements, including an 8'9.5" standing reach (88th percentile for NBA guards) and 228.8 lbs of mass with very competitive and improving movement qualities. In the lateral plane, Luka's ability to abduct the hip (1 dev above the mean) allows him to generate Force more efficiently than most NBA players that we've assessed (71st percentile in lateral acceleration). He's become particularly adept in a change-of-direction environment, where his Slide Agility times outpace most NBA Guards tested at P3 and they've improved by roughly 0.25s in the past year. Vertically, Luka ranks better than 73% of NBA guards in height touched during the approach and his improved his countermovement jump by 2 inches in the past year. He's good now, he's still getting better, and he's well within his physical development window!

Very interesting. So they don't measure wingspan, right? His standing reach seems very high, would have ranked him number one among all guards (with available data) in 2017 Draft. Of course he does have more than 4 inches of height advantage vs an average NBA guard as well...

kayath wrote:Does it mater if he goes first or fifth? Its all about his development and which team can use his skillset to full potential.

Bob8 wrote:I even don't care if he will be drafted first.

Sure... but it is the thread title...
Bob8
General Manager

Post#772 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 pm

kayath wrote:Does it mater if he goes first or fifth? Its all about his development and which team can use his skillset to full potential.

There's the catch, if you're athletic monster with very little skills and basketball IQ great coaches will teach you how to play basketball. But if you have great skills and basketball IQ and you have average athleticism, nobody can help you, because you have to be born with it. ;) And if you say, hey what about Curry, Harden and similar? The answer will be are they white guys from Europe? No they aren't, here you have your answer. You can compete with that logic, waste of time.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#773 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Bob8 wrote:

So I guess the best is to close this thread. He's not athletic enough and skills don't matter enough. He will never be number one. If questions like if he is done growing and how long he's is the most important about what kind of player he will be in Nba, there's really no reason to be here. (Wtf can know if he's stop growing?) We will see who is right or wrong next year. Bye.

lol. yeah I should close the thread because I answered the topic's question. good call. as much as you like to fault others in the thread for not reading and understanding what's being said you sure did completely miss the point of the post. Bet if I was praising Luka as head and shoulders above any 18 year old to ever play the game you don't respond this way. Thanks for taking the time though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bob8
General Manager

Post#774 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm

J_T wrote:

Very interesting. So they don't measure wingspan, right? His standing reach seems very high, would have ranked him number one among all guards (with available data) in 2017 Draft. Of course he does have more than 4 inches of height advantage vs an average NBA guard as well...

The original thread was closed and some fan of Doncic opened this one, with this title. I'm 100% sure only Luka Doncic would be much better, but moderator doesn't want to change the title. Why? I have no idea.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#775 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Don't think it matters at all. Whomever the true talents are and the true workhorses are will show when they all hit the court.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Post#776 » by Rn5ho » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Thread title should be changed - draft will be super packed by the looks of it and tbh it doesn't even matter whether he goes 1st, 2nd, 3rd or just top 5. He's a great prospect and rather than arguing mindlessly whether he will be 1st or not, we should keep this topic about his skill, improvement, highlights etc. - topic title is only feeding the trolls, no other purpose (pretty much).
Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#777 » by Stackey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 pm

He must be pick number 1, everything else would be a offence. I mean, we have a 18 years old European guard who already seems not so far away from Eurobasket MVP level, and you're telling me some random USA talent who dominates high school fatties deserve to be higher ranged than him?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#778 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Bob8 wrote:
J_T wrote:

The original thread was closed and some fan of Doncic opened this one, with this title. I'm 100% sure only Luka Doncic would be much better, but moderator doesn't want to change the title. Why? I have no idea.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1525009

tried that back in February. I started it HOPING there would be change from the previous thread that got locked. In fact YOU were the first person to post in it after I started it. Clearly the title doesn't change the content.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#779 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Derento wrote:

He has a 8'9 1/2 Standing Reach

Thank you sir.
Watch More Basketball

Bob8
General Manager

Post#780 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Marcus wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

lol. yeah I should close the thread because I answered the topic's question. good call. as much as you like to fault others in the thread for not reading and understanding what's being said you sure did completely miss the point of the post. Bet if I was praising Luka as head and shoulders above any 18 year old to ever play the game you don't respond this way. Thanks for taking the time though.

I understood you totally. But if are going on your path, there's really nothing to discuss. Who cares if he's 6.7 or 6.8 or if he will grow 1 inch more? And what's his wingspan? He's long and athletic enough to be 6th rebounder in Eurobasket. Better than many Nba players. Doncic is great (or not) because his skills not some measurements. And if we're talking about his skills, the environment where he's showing them is important too. It's not the same if you score 27 points and have 9 rebounds against Porzingis Latvia or in some school. The question is will we discuss his skills or measurements are enough? The fact is, he's average athlete. If this's the most important fact about him, I guess discussion about being number 1 in draft is closed. And you won't change the title of the thread.;)

Return to NBA Draft