Summer League

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Summer League 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:40 pm

Summer League just started. How do guys look?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Re: Summer League 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:21 pm

Ellenson looks fricken quick, like much quicker than last time I saw him and his handle is legit. He might be much better than I thought.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Sun Jul 2, 2017 6:23 pm

Ellenson is still more interesting as an idea than a real player.

Dotson is good, should've had him in tier 4.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#4 » by 916fan » Sun Jul 2, 2017 9:55 pm

Fischella wrote:Ellenson is still more interesting as an idea than a real player.

Dotson is good, should've had him in tier 4.

Underrated sharpshooter because he went to Houston. Looks nice in SL so far.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#5 » by 916fan » Sun Jul 2, 2017 10:00 pm

Just waiting for the Kings to roll out their SL. Have you ever seen a SL roster more talented than them?
Fox-Hield-Jackson-Labissiere-Papaigannis with MasonJr-Richardson-Giles

SL is usually filled with 2 promising players and maybe only 2-3 legitimate NBA rotational players. Kings will have 8 of them. Super loaded. I feel like Hield did enough at the end of the season to skip SL though.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#6 » by patman52 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:49 am

916fan wrote:Just waiting for the Kings to roll out their SL. Have you ever seen a SL roster more talented than them?

SL is usually filled with 2 promising players and maybe only 2-3 legitimate NBA rotational players. Kings will have 8 of them. Super loaded. I feel like Hield did enough at the end of the season to skip SL though.

The celts are pretty loaded also. jackson, brown, tatum, Zizic, Nader,
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,231

Post#7 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:14 am

916fan wrote:Just waiting for the Kings to roll out their SL. Have you ever seen a SL roster more talented than them?

I feel like this is what your starting lineup could be this coming season, and I think it's pretty exciting. Giles is the guy I'm most interested to see, but Fox and Hield seem like a perfect match.

I'm looking forward to seeing our guys against you on Friday.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#8 » by jonjames » Mon Jul 3, 2017 12:24 pm

Lowkey the kings have the best young core in the entire league outside the sixers going forward. Fox and Hield is the perfect match backcourt and future allstars. Skal looked like a bust coming out kentucky but after that boogie trade..he finally looks like the highly touted prospect he once was out of high school. Giles jackson and mason should all be solid backups.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,107

Post#9 » by The-Power » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:12 pm

jonjames wrote:Lowkey the kings have the best young core in the entire league outside the sixers going forward. Fox and Hield is the perfect match backcourt and future allstars. Skal looked like a bust coming out kentucky but after that boogie trade..he finally looks like the highly touted prospect he once was out of high school. Giles jackson and mason should all be solid backups.

Oh boy, this is the usual hype of draft prospects before they played in the NBA, I suppose. Let's pump the brakes on calling Fox (and Hield) a future All-Star, Giles and Mason solid back-ups and Skal a highly-touted prospect once again. I am happy for the Kings but way too many - in fact I'd say: most - draft picks have turned out to be much less than what fans of the drafting team have hoped for. So let's wait at least one or two more seasons before crowning them 'the best young core in the entire league outside the Sixers' - unless perhaps just two or three teams fit your definition of even having a young core.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:21 pm

The more I watch Isaac, the more I think he should have been the third pick in this draft. I always argue tools over stats, but I've been overlooking his tools and what he's able to do to the floor by shooting the ball. He's just so tall, mobile, athletic and gets off the floor so quickly. That combined with his jumpshot and his off the dribble moves are impressive. He's showcasing he could do more on offense.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,107

Post#11 » by The-Power » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:11 pm

doordoor123 wrote:The more I watch Isaac, the more I think he should have been the third pick in this draft. I always argue tools over stats, but I've been overlooking his tools and what he's able to do to the floor by shooting the ball. He's just so tall, mobile, athletic and gets off the floor so quickly. That combined with his jumpshot and his off the dribble moves are impressive. He's showcasing he could do more on offense.

I love Isaac and pondered on having him in my Top 3 as well but ultimately felt comfortable siding with Jackson. But Top 4? Sure, why not. It was between him and Ntilikina for me although a couple others had reasonable arguments as well.

That said, Isaac hasn't shown anything in SL that wasn't already pretty well known from his days in college. You're correct with everything you wrote above - aside from the off-the-dribble moves. His ball handling is still very rudimentary and every time he puts the ball on the floor it's risky. He can get by someone who closes out hard but other than that I wouldn't want him to create anything off the dribble at this point.

Well, and his jumpshot isn't as far developed as some might believe but he has potential in this regard, so mentioning that as a positive trait of him - especially as a 4 - is something I'm d'accord with. I don't love his hands in traffic at this point but I suspect that will improve once he gets stronger.

As I mentioned over and over again this year: even though many people consider Isaac a high-upside pick, I consider him a pick with a really high floor. Help defense, ability to switch, rebounding, some shooting, movement off the ball - there's almost no way he doesn't become at least a solid rotational piece on a good team. His upside on offense, on the other hand, might not be as high as some of his fans believe or hope for. He would have to improve a lot on his ball handling and playmaking along with continued improvement of his jumpshot and bulking up in order to ever become a really good offensive player. On defense, however, I have said more than once that he could very well become an All-NBA Defensive Team Forward down the road.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 10:26 pm

Adebayo is this year's Myles Turner. Wasn't used correctly and had everyone advertising him as someone he wasn't. I said this before the draft, but I think he's going to be really good.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#13 » by Justwar » Mon Jul 3, 2017 11:25 pm

Adebayo is this years every UK center. Cal always trains them defense first effort then post game. The college game isn't easy for versatile centers due to zones. I was telling people all year how skilled bam was and people said he was raw. Cal actually coaches some pretty good bigs and gets them to expand there game kinda like towns came into uk as a jump shooting center with no post game, low effort. Towns however drastically improved as a all around player and now in the nba able to display all skills.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:07 am

Justwar wrote:Adebayo is this years every UK center. Cal always trains them defense first effort then post game. The college game isn't easy for versatile centers due to zones. I was telling people all year how skilled bam was and people said he was raw. Cal actually coaches some pretty good bigs and gets them to expand there game kinda like towns came into uk as a jump shooting center with no post game, low effort. Towns however drastically improved as a all around player and now in the nba able to display all skills.

Come to think of it, you're right. Cal does that with centers and Self does that with wings. Adebayo played out of position though, he's a power forward.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#15 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:35 am

Saw the Sixers and Celtics game tonight. I thought both Fultz and Tatum looked pretty damn impressive. I like both of them a whole lot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,788

Post#16 » by Upperclass » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:11 am

Mitchell looked really good today. I was wrong about him. His type of game will obviously translate and his jumpshot is picture perfect.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:37 am

Mitchell is just what I thought he'd be, but I **** HATE him for the Jazz. Not because I don't think he will fit, but because he won't be used to his fullest ability. They're going to be using as a shooting guard rather than a combo guard and that is infuriating to me. He does such great things with the ball in his hands, with the pace the Jazz have and the ball-dominant players they have, I can't see him having nearly as many handling opportunities, ESPECIALLY if Hayward returns. Wings that like to handle on the Jazz: Rubio, Exum, Neto, Hood, Ingles, Burks, Hayward. **** that team for taking him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,788

Post#18 » by Upperclass » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:41 am

I'm guessing he'll be the backup combo though.. he had 5 assists today.. they will have to put the ball in his hands. He's a bulldog going to the rack.. similar to Kyrie but without the wiggle
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:45 am

Upperclass wrote:I'm guessing he'll be the backup combo though.. he had 5 assists today.. they will have to put the ball in his hands. He's a bulldog going to the rack.. similar to Kyrie but without the wiggle

Not with Exum, Burks and Hood on the roster. And Rubio needs the ball in his hands every time he's on the floor. Hayward coming back makes it worse.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#20 » by Justwar » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:40 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Justwar wrote:Adebayo is this years every UK center. Cal always trains them defense first effort then post game. The college game isn't easy for versatile centers due to zones. I was telling people all year how skilled bam was and people said he was raw. Cal actually coaches some pretty good bigs and gets them to expand there game kinda like towns came into uk as a jump shooting center with no post game, low effort. Towns however drastically improved as a all around player and now in the nba able to display all skills.

Come to think of it, you're right. Cal does that with centers and Self does that with wings. Adebayo played out of position though, he's a power forward.

Usually people are in correct positions like for example that year we went undefeated willie was guarding guards and the year we had skal we just didn't have enough for him to show off more. I can see the prospect like Washington at uk having the lock down defense great passer and average shooter being basically a draymond green with more offensive. Next years passing is going to be amazing

Return to NBA Draft