Who's Your "Guy"? (2018 Draft Edition)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Who's Your "Guy"? (2018 Draft Edition) 

Post#1 » by ItsThatEasy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Let's have some fun for the next 12 months.

Most fans develop an affinity for certain players leading up to the draft. We all have a "guy". A player who's game we really enjoy watching and not only want to see succeed but BELIEVE they will succeed.

This thread will allow you to highlight the guy you'll be watching and betting on most during the college or international season. Ideally we'd use it throughout the draft process up until the actual draft as we track their progress throughout the season.

My "guy" last year was Harry Giles. I heard C-Webb comp's thrown out leading up the college season, watched his pre-injury film and was enamored. He didn;t necessarily pan out as a college prospect but I'm still hoping he can develop into something in Sac-Town.

This year I've got DeAndre Ayton.

7'1, 260 with fluid athleticism, physicality to feast in the post, and a developing outside shot that could make him a nightmare in the pick and pop. His work ethic could hold him back from reaching his potential but every time I watch him I get DeMarcus Cousins flashbacks. I'll be keeping up with Arizona basketball throughout the season just to watch Ayton.

Who's your "guy" this year?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Who's Your "Guy"? (2018 Draft Edition) 

Post#2 » by nolang1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:46 pm

I was gonna say Ayton as well. People talk about his motor like it's some chronic thing but the reality is that he's had nothing to prove for most of the last 2+ years. Now that there's some doubt in his status as the top freshman/prospect, I think that will light a fire under him.

Also intrigued to see if Mikal Bridges takes on a bigger offensive role rather than just being an excellent complementary player.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#3 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:50 pm

I'd probably have to say Wendell Carter Jr. think he will be very good at Duke and at the very minimum a really solid pro.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#4 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm zoned in on a forward for the Jazz and am looking at Robert Williams, Kevin Knox, Rui Hachimura and Chemezie Metu. I think Knox is a bit underrated right now, so I'll say that's the guy I'm most keyed in on.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#5 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 pm

I have no idea if he's in next year's draft or what is preventing him if he's not but by far it would be Kostas Antentokoumpo.

But if not I like either of Bagley or Knox long term.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Since Marcus already said Wendell and I think Bagley is an easy choice. Im going to go with Trevon Duvall. I think hes going to surprise people with his PnR and passing abilities, mix that with his great athleticism and size, I think hes going to be surprise to everyone and many people will be enamored by him by the end of the season.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Marcus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Since Marcus already said Wendell and I think Bagley is an easy choice. Im going to go with Trevon Duvall. I think hes going to surprise people with his PnR and passing abilities, mix that with his great athleticism and size, I think hes going to be surprise to everyone and many people will be enamored by him by the end of the season.

any word on that jumper though?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Since Marcus already said Wendell and I think Bagley is an easy choice. Im going to go with Trevon Duvall. I think hes going to surprise people with his PnR and passing abilities, mix that with his great athleticism and size, I think hes going to be surprise to everyone and many people will be enamored by him by the end of the season.

Bad haha. Hasnt really shown any improvements as of yet with the team. Heard his defense has looked great and running the offense really well (still needs to cut down on his TOs). Ive always heard Trent has been lights out shooting the ball and Carter has been a handful on both ends.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Marcus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Bad haha. Hasnt really shown any improvements as of yet with the team. Heard his defense has looked great and running the offense really well (still needs to cut down on his TOs). Ive always heard Trent has been lights out shooting the ball and Carter has been a handful on both ends.

yeah Trevon definitely has some appeal to him. but he needs that jumper. if it doesn't come around this season he can still help his stock by hiding out and doing everything else. If he's a pitbull on defense with his size and athleticism it should boost him. The idea that he can and should be able to get anywhere on the floor as long as there is space available should help him too. He looks at the moment like the top PG prospect (I think Sexton still needs to learn the position and Trae Young has to show his size isn't and won't be a problem) so as long as Tre plays like a PG he should keep that slot even without the jumper. Hide it long enough to get into the league and work it from there.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

yeah Trevon definitely has some appeal to him. but he needs that jumper. if it doesn't come around this season he can still help his stock by hiding out and doing everything else. If he's a pitbull on defense with his size and athleticism it should boost him. The idea that he can and should be able to get anywhere on the floor as long as there is space available should help him too. He looks at the moment like the top PG prospect (I think Sexton still needs to learn the position and Trae Young has to show his size isn't and won't be a problem) so as long as Tre plays like a PG he should keep that slot even without the jumper. Hide it long enough to get into the league and work it from there.

Ya with his natural strength and basically 6'10 wingspan, mixed with his athleticism especially his agility and quickness, he has a ton of potential defensively. But from what Ive heard so far he has been putting in the effort defensively which is probably the main reason I chose him as the guy im keeping an eye this season. If he can be a locked down defender mixed with his athleticism, elite handles, ability to finish at the rim (above and below) and his ability to run an offense. I think he can lock himself as the first PG taken and put himself around the top 7 of the draft. The big question mark for his NBA potential is without going to be his jumper.

One more thing that Ive heard is him and Grayson are the 2 hardest workers on the team. I guess they have really bonded because theyre always the first ones to work out and last ones there. Which is always a good thing to hear.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#11 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 pm

I'll take Michell Robinson if he actually ends up playing this season. He looked pretty good in this years MacDonalds game. I've read he played well in camps also, you never know with athletic big men but his transition game would fit well in Boston so I like him.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#12 » by 13th Man » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 am

My guy is still Porter Jr. His game is just more developed than the others and I believe he will lead the NCAA in scoring this coming year. I take basketball IQ over athleticism, MPJ is a safe all-around bet.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#13 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:55 am

Miles Bridges is going to make a believer out of a lot of people
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#14 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Can't find any video right now but reports say Ayton has been killing it during Arizona's Spain exhibition tour.

He had 18 and 10 on 9-12 shooting against the Mataro All Stars.

"Ayton was predictably dominant inside with his size and athleticism, with a reverse layup and some spin moves that nobody could guard, while also hitting a midrange jumper and recording a steal near the midcourt line."

- Tuscon.com
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#15 » by KobesScarf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Reggie Lynch. I think despite his age he can be a great defender at the next level
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#16 » by shawn_hemp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:41 pm

I really, really hope that Texas and Arizona play each other at some point this season so we get a Mo Bamba / DeAndre Ayton matchup
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,529

Post#17 » by PaKwAn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm going with Bamba, i was already impressed with him during that jordan brand classic game in that he could be a game changer on the nba level defensively... then when i saw his recent games where he was showcasing his range even knocking down 3 balls i was even more impressed with his work ethic.. a rudy gobert like presence on the defensive end that can stretch it out offensively is pretty scary especially with how the game has been played lately...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:Can't find any video right now but reports say Ayton has been killing it during Arizona's Spain exhibition tour.

"Ayton was predictably dominant inside with his size and athleticism, with a reverse layup and some spin moves that nobody could guard, while also hitting a midrange jumper and recording a steal near the midcourt line."

- Tuscon.com

There isn't a kid more talented in the class. Just has to be THIS guy every game. No doubt has the talent to do it. Just wonder about the rest.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Marcus wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:Can't find any video right now but reports say Ayton has been killing it during Arizona's Spain exhibition tour.

- Tuscon.com

There isn't a kid more talented in the class. Just has to be THIS guy every game. No doubt has the talent to do it. Just wonder about the rest.

Yup agreed. I've been saying for awhile I think he has a higher ceiling than KAT. I think he has the offensive potential like KAT, is a better defender and has a better physical profile. The big question is the consistency and motor.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#20 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

- Tuscon.com

Yup agreed. I've been saying for awhile I think he has a higher ceiling than KAT. I think he has the offensive potential like KAT, is a better defender and has a better physical profile. The big question is the consistency and motor.

Ayton's game actually reminds me (not saying he's at the level) of Olajuwon and Embiid (both I think are better but nonetheless good company). But I do think he has the potential to be better than KAT because of the defensive end he has the potential to be a defensive anchor like truly great Cs are supposed to be.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to NBA Draft