Who's Your "Guy"? (2018 Draft Edition)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Re: Who's Your "Guy"? (2018 Draft Edition) 

Post#81 » by yoyoboy » Mon Oct 2, 2017 5:08 pm

Bagley is the only sure thing in the draft to me. There's no way he isn't an impact player from day one. He's the total package.

Porter is so rigid in his movements and is generally pretty slow and can't change directions well. And his defense could definitely be a problem at the next level.

Bamba right now is all potential with his length, but high bust possibility.

Ayton honestly hasn't impressed me too much. His shot looks good and he has great size, but I'm not as wowed by his athleticism as others seem to be and it's a serious red flag that we're already hearing issues about his lack of drive.

And Doncic has impressed me a ton, but he's pretty slow and always seems to be crossing over while stationary and so I don't know if he can break down the defense at the next level. His size will give him a lot of leeway there and he should be alright at the SF position. Also his shot has been inconsistent.

Right now I'm going:

1. Bagley

2. Doncic
3. Ayton

4. Porter
5. Bamba
Bosnian Diehard
Junior
And1: 641

Post#82 » by Bosnian Diehard » Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:21 pm

Collin Sexton for me. He plays like has something to prove every time I watch his HS highlights, which says a lot about him imo. I wonder if that ego/confidence he has will push his play to warrant a potential top 5 pick?
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Post#83 » by The-Power » Tue Oct 3, 2017 7:34 pm

yoyoboy wrote:Bamba right now is all potential with his length, but high bust possibility.

Depends on your expectations, I guess. To me he has one of the lowest bust potential in recent memory because I don't see how he won't become at least a good defender in the NBA.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#84 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 4, 2017 12:25 am

The-Power wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:Bamba right now is all potential with his length, but high bust possibility.

Depends on your expectations, I guess. To me he has one of the lowest bust potential in recent memory because I don't see how he won't become at least a good defender in the NBA.

yeah next to Doncic I would consider Bamba to have the highest floor in terms of what he does now can be sustained in the league
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#85 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:58 am

Outside the top 15, I like Rodions Kurucs also. He looks to be getting stronger and could be a more athletic version of Dario Saric, with equal or better shooting touch.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#86 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 am

As a Jazz fan, I'm now watching several players on UK, including Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington and Killeya-Jones. Diallo too, I suppose.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#87 » by Justwar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Pj Washington would be a steal but dunno where the jazz will be. They really don't really need a wing unless the exum experience is over. Vanderbilt would be a good two way point forward if he is playing early vs January because I think he skips going if his stock drops
Catchall
RealGM

Post#88 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:44 am

Justwar wrote:Pj Washington would be a steal but dunno where the jazz will be. They really don't really need a wing unless the exum experience is over. Vanderbilt would be a good two way point forward if he is playing early vs January because I think he skips going if his stock drops

The Jazz need a 6'8" - 6'10" athletic, 2-way forward with shooting range and some passing skills. Assume Rubio, Mitchell and Hood are 1 - 3 and Gobert is at the 5. I'd be all over Vanderbilt if he'll show he can shoot. If he can't though, I have to ask what makes him better than Julius Randle. PJ Washington and Justin Jackson are both nice looking big wings.

Jazz will be drafting in the late teens, but they'll offer players/picks to move up like they did this last year.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#89 » by juanc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:57 am

Doncic

I think he won't have such problems as some of you may think. His main problem was that he was weaker than all of the players he was playing against.. As he is getting stronger he is also getting more dominant. I mean in the last two games(agaist Efes and Valencia) he is averaging 21,5pts 5,5 reb and 7 ass 1,5 to in 26,5 minutes(If I'm not mistaken this would be great stats in NCAA)..

Today they are playing agains CSKA(21:00 CET, that's 14:00 ET), for those of you who want to watch him.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,196

Post#90 » by antonac » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 am

The-Power wrote:

TBH though, we say this a lot about contributing on defense and this is how it normally goes.

*pre-draft*

"he won't bust because he's got great defensive tools."

*3 seasons later: good defender but doesn't hit open shots*

"he's trash, trade him."
Justwar
Rookie

Post#91 » by Justwar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Randle played bully ball. He was actually pretty frustrating despite his talent because he would take it in on 3 people. Randle always reminded me of Antoine walker in his prime without his range. Vanderbilt is a ok shooter. He's I guess got the ability to play small ball 4 but 'his role probably should be'like a poor man's Giannis, less freaky length but similar in a two way player with a questionable j. Don't expect him to be him just hard to compare him. But his foot if he doesn't have surgery he'll go one year. If he has surgery he'll play two

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#92 » by CptCrunch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Doncic is my #1 guy. I really don't care about what college players will do unless Bagley looks like a hybrid of Davis and Bosh. Pretty much the only guy who can unseat Doncic for #1.

I'm not the biggest fan of Porter unless he can stroke it, Ayton because of his baggage. Bamba is just a body.

Duval is the least talked about high ranking prospect imo. Can't remember the last time Duke got a hyper athletic, physically dominant point guard. The guy is 6'1" without shoes with a 6'9" wingspan and a 195 chiseled frame. High basketball IQ and defensive instincts. BROKE jumper. Mock sites have him dropping really low.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#93 » by Justwar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:24 pm

antonac wrote:
The-Power wrote:

TBH though, we say this a lot about contributing on defense and this is how it normally goes.

*pre-draft*

"he won't bust because he's got great defensive tools."

*3 seasons later: good defender but doesn't hit open shots*

"he's trash, trade him."

He projects as a good defender, he's relying only on physical advantages right now not elite timing. Could go many ways. He's not exactly a super athlete.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#94 » by Kalela » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:36 am

:wink:
The-Power wrote:

His floor is Biyombo in my opinion. Not exactly a great player but not a complete bust either.
Fire Mazzulla
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#95 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am

Along the lines of this thread.

Who outside of the consensus top 5 has the highest potential to break in?

I'm looking at the freak athletes who could surprise with their shooting - Knox, Diallo, Duval.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,586

Post#96 » by The Master » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Kalela wrote:His floor is Biyombo in my opinion. Not exactly a great player but not a complete bust either.

His floor is much higher, because right now he's more polished player offensively than Biyombo. But you're right, if he won't develop offensively, he still should be valuable starter - if he will, he's going to have allstar-impact in NBA like Gobert. Not sure if I would select him at the top (depends on what he will show in Texas) but still very high.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Post#97 » by The-Power » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Along the lines of this thread.

The consensus top 5 being Doncic, Bagley, Porter, Ayton and Bamba? If so I'd say Jaren Jackson and Miles Bridges although it wouldn't surprise me if a strong athlete who shoots well could become very appealing to some team in the top 5. I'd rather put my money on Troy Brown becoming a top 5 player in this draft than on some of the high-flyers but I doubt he'll be in the top 5 conversation at the end of the year (his game is probably not impressive or, rather, eye-catching enough).
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#98 » by E-Balla » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 pm

I've been taking about Ayton in threads around here since he was 15 so it gotta be him but Bagley is special. I never saw him play before last year but ever since I've seen him I completely understand the hype. Both of these guys are scary talented and Ayton has the worst mentality (he wants to basically play like Dirk when he has the physicality of the Robinson's and Ewing's of the world) but if he gets a motor he's scarier than any big currently in the league from an athleticism + skill standpoint.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#99 » by E-Balla » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Along the lines of this thread.

I'm looking at the freak athletes who could surprise with their shooting - Knox, Diallo, Duval.

Hami. He's scary athletic and looked way improved in the U19s. Averaged 21/8/5 per 36 and his jumper was still nonexistent but he was way improved as a ball handler.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#100 » by jonjames » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 am

Out of the upper tier level prospects..DeAndre Ayton. I think his upper floor is Andre Drummond.

Irrational love..I like the two kansas guys Billy Preston jr. and Malik Newman. Billy Preston has great size and nice skills albeit low feel for the game. Newman I believe can live up to his once top billing with that extra year off.

Return to NBA Draft