Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,482

Combine 2017 and 2018 draft classes and list top 16 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 am

How would they be ranked on DX or consensus?

If you want, add how would 17 mock have played out in your opinion if they all come out?

This is tough as I'm not a draft expert and I haven't watched the 18 class much, but have read about some concerns about each player, particularly Ayton and Bamba.

My guess would be something like

Bagley
Fultz
Ball
Jackson
Tatum
Porter
Doncic
Ayton
Bamba
Fox
Isaac
Smith
Markkanen
Ntilikina
Williams
Bridges or Monk?

Mock (tough to know before seeing college play)

Boston (no trade) - Bagley
LA - Ball
Philly - Fultz
Phx - Jackson, but this is tough with the bigs there, Porter and Doncic so I have no idea..this is a wildcard..but probably Jackson for D maybe?
Sacramento - Doncic? Porter? Still Fox?
Orlando - Doncic or Porter
Chicago - Ayton?
NY - Fox
Dallas - Smith
Sacramento - Ntilikina?

I can't really see Bamba slipping that far but that's just tough to do...and I don't know enough.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Re: Combine 2017 and 2018 draft classes and list top 16 

Post#2 » by The-Power » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Impossible to tell given that we saw one group of players in college and the other one not. Just a couple quick notes:

- I don't see why there's such a gap between Bagley and Porter at this point if you're going by consensus. Going by the general vibe I'd say Porter would rank right there with Ball.

- There are concerns about every draft, and it was actually quite prominent for the 2017 prospects. Who didn't have at least one major question mark among the top prospects aside from Fultz and perhaps Tatum and DSJ (strictly going by skill-set for the last two)? At least as far as being a potential superstar is concerned. I'd say there are less true question marks for guys like Bamba, Doncic, Porter and Ayton (skill-wise) even though they all have some limitations on their own – but nothing that really screams ‘make-or-break‘ in terms of skill-set.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#3 » by nolang1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Porter, Ayton, and Doncic are all comfortably ahead of Tatum and Jackson to me; I'd rank Porter the lowest of those three and would still consider him to be a better wing prospect than anyone in '17.

Right now I'd have Doncic basically even with Fultz and slightly ahead of Ball by virtue of being much better in halfcourt offense. Bagley would be #1 overall but that's not ironclad by any means.

Robert Williams would've had a good chance to be drafted before Markkannen had he stayed in this year.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,664

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 pm

This is pretty tough but off the top of my head Id probably go

1. Bagley
2. DSJ
3. Porter
4. Bamba
5. Ball
6. Ayton
7. Tatum
8. Fultz
9. Carter
10. Jackson
11. Markkanen
12. Williams
13. Duval
14. Sexton
15. Fox

The PGs at 13-15 are all equal to me, I just put down the 3 names in random order. I did a top 15 instead of a top 16 because I didnt include Doncic, I dont know much about him except for youtube videos so I dont know where I would put him. But from going from what I have read, I would probably put him in the 5-6 range with Ball.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#5 » by reanimator » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 pm

lottery

Fultz
Bagley
Porter
Ball
Ayton
Jackson
Smith
Isaac
Bamba
Doncic
Ntilikina
Tatum
Williams
Mitchell
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#6 » by Catchall » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 am

Bagley
Fultz
Ball
Jackson
Porter
Doncic
Smith Jr.
Ayton
Issac
Tatum
Fox
Mitchell
Bamba
Williams/Bridges/Ntlikina/Knox/Monk
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#7 » by DirtyDez » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:29 am

I would put Bagley at 1 but the rest is foggy. Probably Ayton or Fultz based on early reports of Ayton's physique and work ethic but need to see it in games. I'm not that big on Porter.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by No-Man » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:57 am

Fultz
Doncic

Porter
Ball
Smith
Bridges
Ntilikina
Bagley
Ayton

Isaac
Bamba
Monk
Mitchell
Tatum
Jackson
Yves Pons

Those 16 would be ahead of the rest, other names in no order are, Zach Collins, De'Anthony Melton, Mikal Bridges, Bruce Brown, Jaren Jackson Jr, Wendell Carter Jr, Collin Sexton, De'Aaron Fox, Robert Williams, Rawle Alkins, Josh Okogie, Kevin Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt, PJ Washington, Mitchell Robinson, Troy Brown, Rodions Kurucs, Trevon Duval, Arnoldas Kulboka, Kyle Kuzma, Cyrile Eliezer-Vanerot, Borisa Simanic, Jawun Evans, PJ Dozier, Frank Jackson, Deng Adel, Isaac Bonga, Hami Diallo, Lonnie Walker, Markis McDuffie, Andrew Jones, Udoka Azubuike, Lauri Markkanen, Derrick White,...
reanimator
Analyst

Post#9 » by reanimator » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Fischella wrote:Fultz
Doncic

Porter
Ball
Smith
Bridges
Ntilikina
Bagley
Ayton

Isaac
Bamba
Monk
Mitchell
Tatum
Jackson
Yves Pons

Those 16 would be ahead of the rest, other names in no order are, Zach Collins, De'Anthony Melton, Mikal Bridges, Bruce Brown, Jaren Jackson Jr, Wendell Carter Jr, Collin Sexton, De'Aaron Fox, Robert Williams, Rawle Alkins, Josh Okogie, Kevin Knox, Jarred Vanderbilt, PJ Washington, Mitchell Robinson, Troy Brown, Rodions Kurucs, Trevon Duval, Arnoldas Kulboka, Kyle Kuzma, Cyrile Eliezer-Vanerot, Borisa Simanic, Jawun Evans, PJ Dozier, Frank Jackson, Deng Adel, Isaac Bonga, Hami Diallo, Lonnie Walker, Markis McDuffie, Andrew Jones, Udoka Azubuike, Lauri Markkanen, Derrick White,...

You like Pons THAT much? Then again, you are big on Bridges so that kind of falls in line.

Why so low on Bagley?
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#10 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Bagley
Fultz
Porter
Ball
Ayton
Tatum
Jackson (josh)
Bamba
DSJ
Doncic
Isaac
Fox
Sexton
Frank N

Might sneak in..Robinson(if he doesn't sit out), Jackson(Jaren), Richards.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#11 » by No-Man » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:53 pm

reanimator wrote:
Doncic

Porter
Ball
Smith
Bridges
Ntilikina
Bagley
Ayton

Isaac
Bamba
Monk
Mitchell
Tatum
Jackson
Yves Pons

You like Pons THAT much? Then again, you are big on Bridges so that kind of falls in line.

Why so low on Bagley?

Yeah I like Pons, aside from the minor injuries, which could be related to his lack of fluidity at times, he is an impressive athlete, with plenty of tools and a solid jumper that actually has vision and can D up, he is a bit robotic, but all sturdy wings feel that way at times, even LeBron, and the guy is outstanding athletically.

My issue with Bagley is just that the theory of what he is, even if he pans out to the best of his ability doesnt entice me much, building your team around a 1st option at the either big spot is something that I dont like esp if that guy aint that versatile and it's mainly a scorer.

Bagley is as good as you could hope in terms of tools at what he does, but I don't think that eventually you can outplay better teams if you are generating gravity from those spots on the floor, in the end bigs should be role players on O mainly.

Also I don't see Bagley ever becoming an elite enough shooter or good enough passer to be the type of offensive force that at least would warrant that type of prowess, take Blake as an example, is he gonna come close to that? I doubt it, and even building around Blake is challenging in its own way.

I'd have Bagley 4th or 5th, right there with Ayton, in my early rankings for 2018, which is high enough, he just needs to be a real Forward and not a combo-big for me to be higher on his upside.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#12 » by CptCrunch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 pm

God tier
Doncic

Superstar
Bagley
Ball
Porter
Fultz

Allstar
Ayton
Tatum
Jackson
Isaac
Smith
Bamba

Have not looked into rest of 2018, and don't care about any of the other 2017 players. So if I were to add 5 players, they would all be from 2018. Only 11 listed. Doncic is basically God tier for me.

Very very very low on Fox, Monk, Sexton, Bridges
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#13 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:20 am

Bagley
Fultz
Doncic

Ball
DSJ

Jackson
Tatum
Bamba
Porter
Ayton

Fox
Monk
Isaac
Ntilikina
Markkanen

Bridges
Mitchell
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#14 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Fischella wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Doncic

Porter
Ball
Smith
Bridges
Ntilikina
Bagley
Ayton

Isaac
Bamba
Monk
Mitchell
Tatum
Jackson
Yves Pons

Why so low on Bagley?

Yeah I like Pons, aside from the minor injuries, which could be related to his lack of fluidity at times, he is an impressive athlete, with plenty of tools and a solid jumper that actually has vision and can D up, he is a bit robotic, but all sturdy wings feel that way at times, even LeBron, and the guy is outstanding athletically.

My issue with Bagley is just that the theory of what he is, even if he pans out to the best of his ability doesnt entice me much, building your team around a 1st option at the either big spot is something that I dont like esp if that guy aint that versatile and it's mainly a scorer.

Bagley is as good as you could hope in terms of tools at what he does, but I don't think that eventually you can outplay better teams if you are generating gravity from those spots on the floor, in the end bigs should be role players on O mainly.

Also I don't see Bagley ever becoming an elite enough shooter or good enough passer to be the type of offensive force that at least would warrant that type of prowess, take Blake as an example, is he gonna come close to that? I doubt it, and even building around Blake is challenging in its own way.

I'd have Bagley 4th or 5th, right there with Ayton, in my early rankings for 2018, which is high enough, he just needs to be a real Forward and not a combo-big for me to be higher on his upside.

I think it's still early to call Bagley just a scorer, plus many first option big men have made their careers off of a good mid range game. Not that I'm saying Bagley's the next Duncan or KG, however I don't see him as a Griffen type either. Bagley seems to be a better ball handler and his game looks more smooth on offense, Griffen seems like he's not good at changing directions or speeds. Bagley still has time to become a better passer and defender. He can already guard multiple positions and on the perimeter. Also the Drew league isn't much to draw from but I didnt think he looked nervous going up against NBA competition.
But you're not that high on Jackson or Tatum either are you? I really like Bridges also and don't buy in to the "tweener" label he's recieved being an issue, yet I don't see the high ceiling in him like I do with the other two. I guess we'll have to wait on the wings, it's about time for new stars at that position.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Bagley has no shot at been better at handling the ball than Griffin, off guys 6'8 or taller only LeBron comes to mind as a guy that is actually better handling the ball than Blake.

Not good at changing directions? WTF? have you seen Griffin's body control?

Where do you see that high ceiling with Tatum and Josh?
williambh3
Junior
And1: 203

Post#16 » by williambh3 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Bagley
Ayton
Porter

Doncic
Ball
Fultz
DSJ

Isaac
Jackson
Tatum
Bamba
Fox
Bridges
R. Williams
Carter
Sexton
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#17 » by Kolkmania » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:05 am

Fischella wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Doncic

Porter
Ball
Smith
Bridges
Ntilikina
Bagley
Ayton

Isaac
Bamba
Monk
Mitchell
Tatum
Jackson
Yves Pons

Why so low on Bagley?

What's wrong with a big guy being your first option on the offensive end? It's about skill level, not about height imo.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#18 » by brackdan70 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Bagley, Ayton, Porter - Star

Fultz, Tatum, Ball, Bamba, Doncic, DSJ, Jackson - Strong Star Potential

Carter, Williams, Isaac - Starter Fringe All Star Potential

Fox, Monk, Ntilikina, Bridges - Starter

a couple of pretty good drafts really.
Sign here
reanimator
Analyst

Post#19 » by reanimator » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't see any argument for Doncic over Fultz. None.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#20 » by whitehops » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Fischella wrote:Bagley has no shot at been better at handling the ball than Griffin, off guys 6'8 or taller only LeBron comes to mind as a guy that is actually better handling the ball than Blake.

Not good at changing directions? WTF? have you seen Griffin's body control?

Where do you see that high ceiling with Tatum and Josh?

sorry not really contesting any point in particular, just adding durant and possibly paul george or giannis as taller players being better at dribbling than griffin. either way it's a very tall order for bagley to be a better ball handler than griffin.

Return to NBA Draft