Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: LiAngelo Ball 

Post#21 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I'm seeing that he averaged 34ppg, maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing

don't be that guy. don't be the look at the numbers guy. I think there might be some full game footage on youtube to watch. Gelo has great hands, reads the ball well in the air and can stroke it a little when he gets hot. There's not much else there. He played at the head of a trap defense simply to be the first person back to score. We have no idea what kind of defender he is, rudimentary post game which worked on shorter non-athletic players, does finish with both hands though. Has the long ball passing game that his brothers have, weak handle, not a great leaper, has shredded up quite a bit though heading into UCLA so we'll see how that translates in terms of gas and explosion and maybe even his work on the block to move defenders.

but yeah check out some full games of dude if you can. that 34 can be misleading without context.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 5, 2017 8:03 pm

All those cherry picks should indicate great deep threat potential as a NFL TE...
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#23 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:00 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21331147/ucla-players-liangelo-ball-cody-riley-jalen-hill-arrested-china-shoplifting

Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball -- were arrested in China just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

One source told ESPN the group of players -- which also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill -- were arrested on shoplifting charges.

The players are being questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store that is located next to the team's hotel.
TripleBOF
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#24 » by TripleBOF » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:32 am

He's got good size for a SG and with hard work I'm sure he can improve his draft stock. I'm not sure he's got Lonzo's athleticism so playing in the NBA is a long shot. I'd like to believe he's plenty motivated after seeing all the haters doubting him.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#25 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:16 am

I think if UCLA gets a chance, they will opt to pull their scholarships for both LiAngelo and LaMelo. Both guys are not legit D1 players.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#26 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:35 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think if UCLA gets a chance, they will opt to pull their scholarships for both LiAngelo and LaMelo. Both guys are not legit D1 players.

LaMelo definitely is.

It's unclear to me if/how he'll be eligible though.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Post#27 » by UcanUwill » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:29 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21331147/ucla-players-liangelo-ball-cody-riley-jalen-hill-arrested-china-shoplifting

Three UCLA men's basketball players -- including LiAngelo Ball, the younger brother of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball -- were arrested in China just days before Friday's season-opening game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai, sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

One source told ESPN the group of players -- which also included freshmen Cody Riley and Jalen Hill -- were arrested on shoplifting charges.

The players are being questioned about stealing from a Louis Vuitton store that is located next to the team's hotel.

Shaking my head. Shows you that basketball IQ and real IQ are two different things...
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#28 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21331147/ucla-players-liangelo-ball-cody-riley-jalen-hill-arrested-china-shoplifting

Shaking my head. Shows you that basketball IQ and real IQ are two different things...

It's unbelievable, assuming the allegations are true. I guess we'll find out the details later, but you wouldn't think they'd arrest them without clear proof (leaving the store with unpaid merchandise, and possibly security camera footage.)

It's not like we've had plenty of bad stories of what happens when you behave badly in a foreign country either. Otto Warmbier, Ryan Locate, the kid who vandalized in Singapore...again, unbelievable.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#29 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 9, 2017 6:55 pm

I just heard an interview with Arash Markazi who has been in China this whole time. He's saying that there are 4 well-lit security cameras in that store, and that the general consensus now is not whether the kids shoplifted or not, but how it is now going to play out.

There are upper level Pac-12 brass out there, it is a big trip, and all the kids were reminded multiple times to be on their best behavior and not do anything stupid. I don't think anyone would have imagined anyone would pull something like this.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#30 » by RollingWave » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:51 am

Well they got out fine, China isn't North Korea, shop lifting for kids especially is usually not super serious crime.

We'll see how this effects him this year
The river of time wash away all heroes
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:22 am

LiAngelo out of UCLA, back to the Ball compound to get ready for the NBA.

What the actual ....?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
grubs10
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#32 » by grubs10 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:37 am

Marcus wrote:LiAngelo out of UCLA, back to the Ball compound to get ready for the NBA.

What the actual ....?

Lavar doing his best to justify everyone who has criticized him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 5, 2017 12:53 am

grubs10 wrote:
Marcus wrote:LiAngelo out of UCLA, back to the Ball compound to get ready for the NBA.

What the actual ....?

how does this do that?
Watch More Basketball

grubs10
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#34 » by grubs10 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 1:28 am

Marcus wrote:
grubs10 wrote:

What the actual ....?

how does this do that?

Maybe I'm overly harsh on the guy because his personality rubs me the wrong way but to me it just shows that hes an egomaniac that can't help himself but use his kids to get some shine. When I first heard LiAngelo was leaving UCLA I googled his name real quick and every story was headlined "Lavar Ball is pulling LiAngelo from UCLA." The ESPN article had quotes from Lavar saying "We get back over here and the consequences were even stiffer than China. So basically they're in jail here." and "I'm going to make him way better for the draft than UCLA ever could have."

Everyone that knows anything about Gelo as a hooper knows he's not making the league. As a father, why not let your son get a college education at a great school and learn that the real world can have serious consequences when you do something stupid and illegal. Instead Lavar needed some media attention so he not only threw away his sons free education, but also compared being suspended from a basketball team to to being in "jail" and claimed that he can do better turning Gelo into a pro than the well respected basketball program that allowed for his other son to shine and become the number 2 pick.

If this really is the way Lavar has been his whole life, and not just the money hungry loud mouth the media allowed him to become, it is a miracle that Lonzo has become the man he is today.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:42 pm

grubs10 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
grubs10 wrote:

how does this do that?

Maybe I'm overly harsh on the guy because his personality rubs me the wrong way but to me it just shows that hes an egomaniac that can't help himself but use his kids to get some shine. When I first heard LiAngelo was leaving UCLA I googled his name real quick and every story was headlined "Lavar Ball is pulling LiAngelo from UCLA." The ESPN article had quotes from Lavar saying "We get back over here and the consequences were even stiffer than China. So basically they're in jail here." and "I'm going to make him way better for the draft than UCLA ever could have."

Everyone that knows anything about Gelo as a hooper knows he's not making the league. As a father, why not let your son get a college education at a great school and learn that the real world can have serious consequences when you do something stupid and illegal. Instead Lavar needed some media attention so he not only threw away his sons free education, but also compared being suspended from a basketball team to to being in "jail" and claimed that he can do better turning Gelo into a pro than the well respected basketball program that allowed for his other son to shine and become the number 2 pick.

If this really is the way Lavar has been his whole life, and not just the money hungry loud mouth the media allowed him to become, it is a miracle that Lonzo has become the man he is today.

Little more info out on the story now. Apparently UCLA wouldn't give any of the kids a timeframe on when they could resume team activities. So they can't practice, train, travel, or play with the team with no estimate for when they would be allowed to return. Add to that the kids had their meal cards taken I can understand the move a little better now.
Watch More Basketball

cursedsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 1,448

Post#36 » by cursedsportsfan » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:25 pm

Marcus wrote:
grubs10 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
how does this do that?

Little more info out on the story now. Apparently UCLA wouldn't give any of the kids a timeframe on when they could resume team activities. So they can't practice, train, travel, or play with the team with no estimate for when they would be allowed to return. Add to that the kids had their meal cards taken I can understand the move a little better now.

Shocking that bad choices have consequences.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#37 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:29 pm

What the actual ....?

This one actually is Lavar hurting his kid imo. Just dumb.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#38 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 7:42 pm

I wish Alford tries to talk to Gelo and tries to get him to stick it out. Tell him ya, this year isn't going to be great but you made a decision and you need to deal with the consequences. But don't let one bad year screw up a good thing.

I'm sorry but this is a huge mistake for Gelo. He's not even close to be good enough to even make a SL roster next year. I highly doubt that he can get a legitimate over seas offer either. I don't think he has much promise as a professional ball player and it is very stupid to throw away a free education from a good school like UCLA. I've been critical of Lavar in the past and I've given him the benefit of the don't on other times, this is probably the most critical I've ever been of him. He needs to know Gelo isn't the talent where he can do this. Gelo is going to need all 4 years to just get a shot at playing over seas. I think this move really hurts Gelo.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#39 » by J_T » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:41 pm

Gonna say one thing here: LiAngelo is better than LeBron - right now. He would also win against prime Jordan 1 vs 1. The fact that Jordan and LiAngelo never played against each other is because Jordan was afraid of him.

And yeah, I can't stand Lavar either. What a bad selfish parent.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:02 pm

cursedsportsfan wrote:
Marcus wrote:
grubs10 wrote:

Shocking that bad choices have consequences.

not at all. end of the day Gelo was the one at fault here. Just saying now that more info is out I understand why LaVar pulled him.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft