doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: DeAndre Ayton 

Post#221 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:06 pm

blazeyo wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
He said Ayton's shot is flat, not Bambas. Unless you think Ayton is weak.

Ayton is weak, like I said earlier. It’s one of his biggest issues. Its why he’s going to get so many fouls and not play many NBA minutes when he’s in the league. It’s that and he needs to be coached on where to stand, how to put his hands up, etc.

How do you figure Ayton's is weak? where is he weak? weak is such a general term. What's weak about him? legs? core? shoulders?
He looks strong, he is pushing people around whenever he wants to, he pushes players off their spots wihtout much problem... I think his shot is flat because of shis form more than anything.

He pushes small guys around and goes over them. If you watch him against a team like UNLV, he can’t budge the bigger guys. Especially on defense. He gets more rebounds because of his fluidity rather than his strength. Watch a game and you can see a lot of the time against other big guys he’s pushes under the basket or he scrambles trying to get around them. And then guys bully him and shoot right over him. I’ve seen it happen way too often to a guy that’s 7’2. Juiston, who is 6’7, was doing it all game.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#222 » by blazeyo » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:16 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Ayton is weak, like I said earlier. It’s one of his biggest issues. Its why he’s going to get so many fouls and not play many NBA minutes when he’s in the league. It’s that and he needs to be coached on where to stand, how to put his hands up, etc.

How do you figure Ayton's is weak? where is he weak? weak is such a general term. What's weak about him? legs? core? shoulders?
He looks strong, he is pushing people around whenever he wants to, he pushes players off their spots wihtout much problem... I think his shot is flat because of shis form more than anything.

He pushes small guys around and goes over them. If you watch him against a team like UNLV, he can’t budge the bigger guys. Especially on defense. He gets more rebounds because of his fluidity rather than his strength. Watch a game and you can see a lot of the time against other big guys he’s pushes under the basket or he scrambles trying to get around them. And then guys bully him and shoot right over him. I’ve seen it happen way too often to a guy that’s 7’2.

He isn't 7'2. He looks 7'0 to me, max 7'1. I watched every game of Arizona but one and I see it as something totally different.
He is just apathetic and passive. He is pushed in post up situations because he doesn't give any effort and resistance more than anything, I think that's pretty obvious when you consider his mental makeup.
He just doesn't have enough mass to counter aggressive post ups without giving effort, not many players do.

If you think he is weak compared to college bigs then I don't know what to tell you.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#223 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:24 pm

blazeyo wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
blazeyo wrote:

He pushes small guys around and goes over them. If you watch him against a team like UNLV, he can’t budge the bigger guys. Especially on defense. He gets more rebounds because of his fluidity rather than his strength. Watch a game and you can see a lot of the time against other big guys he’s pushes under the basket or he scrambles trying to get around them. And then guys bully him and shoot right over him. I’ve seen it happen way too often to a guy that’s 7’2.

He isn't 7'2. He looks 7'0 to me, max 7'1. I watched every game of Arizona but one and I see it as something totally different.
He is just apathetic and passive. He is pushed in post up situations because he doesn't give any effort and resistance more than anything, I think that's pretty obvious when you consider his mental makeup.

If you think he is weak compared to college bigs then I don't know what to tell you.

I’m just putting 2 and 2 together. It makes sense, if he is weak, that his shot would be flatter than it needs to be. The evidence is there that he looks weak, but I’m not counting out other issues that might make him look like that.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#224 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:28 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I’m just putting 2 and 2 together. It makes sense, if he is weak, that his shot would be flatter than it needs to be. The evidence is there that he looks weak, but I’m not counting out other issues that might make him look like that.

I’m starting to think he just doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s not weak, he just doesn’t understand a lot.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#225 » by blazeyo » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:37 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
blazeyo wrote:

I’m starting to think he just doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s not weak, he just doesn’t understand a lot.

That's what i'm telling you. He is strong, you can see how strong he is just by looking at him trying to establish post position. He seals his man with his friggin elbow without even trying.

He is just not a smart basketball player right now and he just doesn't give any effort against post up situations at times.

He is also not 7'2. He is 7'0 if you saw him next to Robert Williams who's listed at 6'9.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#226 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:43 pm

blazeyo wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

That's what i'm telling you. He is strong, you can see how strong he is just by looking at him trying to establish post position. He seals his man with his friggin elbow without even trying.

He is just not a smart basketball player right now and he just doesn't give any effort against post up situations at times.

He is also not 7'2. He is 7'0 if you saw him next to Robert Williams who's listed at 6'9.

Yeah, I just said he was 7’2 because the broadcasters said he was 7’2. Obviously his height was embellished. I want to see Ayton near the end of the season, he’s going to look like a different player with more experience under his belt.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#227 » by yoyoboy » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:37 pm

I'm disappointed. Ayton's defensive awareness and effort are just awful. I'm beyond sold on his talent. The way he can move at that size, his passing out of the post and double team, his post move skillset, the potential he shows on his jumper, and his touch around the rim are so impressive. He should be the no questions asked number one pick.

Yet he's not because he looks so lazy and careless out there. Why is his motor still this poor? I don't understand. I feel like you almost have to take the chance on him because his upside is so high, but I'm not going to lie I wouldn't be surprised if he plays far below his potential in the NBA because he just doesn't put in the work to improve or the effort on the court. There is no reason he should be as poor of a defensive player as he is.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#228 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:39 pm

yoyoboy wrote:I'm disappointed. Ayton's defensive awareness and effort are just awful. I'm beyond sold on his talent. The way he can move at that size, his passing out of the post and double team, his post move skillset, the potential he shows on his jumper, and his touch around the rim are so impressive. He should be the no questions asked number one pick.

Yet he's not because he looks so lazy and careless out there. Why is his motor still this poor? I don't understand. I feel like you almost have to take the chance on him because his upside is so high, but I'm not going to lie I wouldn't be surprised if he plays far below his potential in the NBA because he just doesn't put in the work to improve or the effort on the court. There is no reason he should be as poor of a defensive player as he is.

I’m with you there. To me this is up there with the Fultz injury in bewilderment.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#229 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:39 am

Is there any footage of Ayton's defensive weaknesses?

Youtube era only shows highlights.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#230 » by King Ken » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:50 am

yoyoboy wrote:I'm disappointed. Ayton's defensive awareness and effort are just awful. I'm beyond sold on his talent. The way he can move at that size, his passing out of the post and double team, his post move skillset, the potential he shows on his jumper, and his touch around the rim are so impressive. He should be the no questions asked number one pick.

He just don't feel the game off the ball. That's a massive problem to me because that's not the easiest thing to improve.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#231 » by yoyoboy » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:55 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Is there any footage of Ayton's defensive weaknesses?

Check the highlights of bigs who have gone up against him, like Brandon McCoy, and pay attention to Ayton.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#232 » by The-Power » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:51 am

yoyoboy wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:Is there any footage of Ayton's defensive weaknesses?

Check the highlights of bigs who have gone up against him, like Brandon McCoy, and pay attention to Ayton.

Or watch a couple minutes of the Arizona games that are online while focusing on Ayton. The way he moves on defense, being out of place and not providing help defense is something you can see quickly even without extended scouting.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#233 » by CjayC » Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:47 am

If you can keep it in front of him he can manage, but you add 1 screen and he loses a ton of awareness.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#234 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:49 pm

There was an athletic 7 footer back in the day named Joe Barry Carroll - had all the skills to be a dominant NBA center at both ends. And he did put up some good numbers in the NBA, but he earned the nickname Joe Barely Cares and really disappointed the teams he played for. Going back a little farther than that was Elmore Smith (included in the trade that sent Jabbar to LAL) - long forgotten for the same reason. Ayton's even more skilled - hopefully he gets it that he's gotta show more effort on a consistent basis.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#235 » by DirtyDez » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:22 pm

fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#236 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:05 am

That off ball offense and defense must improve but on the ball, he's special.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#237 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 am

This is Ayton's best game
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,493

Post#238 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:30 am

King Ken wrote:This is Ayton's best game

He’s a monster on offense. I’m not sure what is his ceiling is. Once he gets a little more comfort playing physical, it’s over.

On defense, it felt like a light went on for him tonight. Maybe a dim one but it’s something. When he jumps and contests, he can have an impact, even though he doesn’t have a shot-blocker’s timing. If he can keep that verticality and keep building and getting more aggressive, I think he’ll be alright on that end.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
King Ken
General Manager

Post#239 » by King Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:42 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

He’s a monster on offense. I’m not sure what is his ceiling is. Once he gets a little more comfort playing physical, it’s over.

On defense, it felt like a light went on for him tonight. Maybe a dim one but it’s something. When he jumps and contests, he can have an impact, even though he doesn’t have a shot-blocker’s timing. If he can keep that verticality and keep building and getting more aggressive, I think he’ll be alright on that end.

It's only December, not even conference time. He can still get much better. Doncic is really really tough to pass on but you pass on Ayton and you will instantly regret it.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,493

Post#240 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm

King Ken wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

It's only December, not even conference time. He can still get much better. Doncic is really really tough to pass on but you pass on Ayton and you will instantly regret it.

I enjoy your analysis, so don't take this the wrong way, but... didn't you say the very same thing about Bamba? Just trying to understand your pecking order.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax

Return to NBA Draft