Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,584

Re: DeAndre Ayton 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:55 pm

DirtyDez wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:Didn't show some of his baskets closer to the rim but he was great. Keep in mind this was even less significant than a scrimmage where Chase Jeter was showing an offensive arsenal.

Was it still as robotic as it could be? Im always going to question Chase's offense till I see him prove that in a game, with that said you guys got one heck of a defensive big in Jeter. The dude rotates really well and plays tremendous defense and is a hell of a shot blocker. Pretty pissed that he was the one that transferred between him and Bolden.

Ayton looked good from what I saw, the form on his jumper is pretty ridiculous for a guy his size. When he wants it this year, he will be unstoppable.

Didn't he go to Duke a year early? I think he'll be good next season mainly because he'll be a man by then. Ayton will be gone and he'll have his confidence back IMO.

No he didnt come early, just was young for his class. He turned 18 like a month before the season started his freshman year. I believe he is like 6 months younger than Josh Jackson. I think by the time you will see him hes going to be a RS junior and RS senior, hes going to be stronger and more confident and is going to be a hell of a player for you guys. I always liked Jeter, he was a frustrating player to watch sometime but his defense was always great to watch, really smart kid.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#42 » by Justwar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Ayton I think ceiling is Chris bosh. The bulked version
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#43 » by GimmeDat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 am

You can see even in that scrimmage, the way he just gobbles up boards with such a wide radius is ridiculous. I actually think his form looks a bit funky bit he's got a quick release and can clearly make jumpers.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#44 » by jonjames » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:23 pm

How does Ayton compare as a center prospect to Greg Oden? Ive seen David Robinson comparisons for both these players.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#45 » by TankCommander17 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 pm

He is massive. I just hope these motor issues are overstated. Dude's frame looks like Drob
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:43 am

jonjames wrote:How does Ayton compare as a center prospect to Greg Oden? Ive seen David Robinson comparisons for both these players.

Not close to the same motor which lends to him not being nearly the same kind of defensive prospect Oden was. Oden was a flat out beast defensively, Ayton not so much. Ayton has showed he can be a good defender when he has the intensity raised and motor going. It just comes and goes.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#47 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
jonjames wrote:How does Ayton compare as a center prospect to Greg Oden? Ive seen David Robinson comparisons for both these players.

Not close to the same motor which lends to him not being nearly the same kind of defensive prospect Oden was. Oden was a flat out beast defensively, Ayton not so much. Ayton has showed he can be a good defender when he has the intensity raised and motor going. It just comes and goes.

Let's say the people who said he was just 'unstimulated' by the competition in HS were right and that motor appears to be more consistent in college - would he then be an Oden level defensive presence? Because to me it seems like the tools are there.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Let's say the people who said he was just 'unstimulated' by the competition in HS were right and that motor appears to be more consistent in college - would he then be an Oden level defensive presence? Because to me it seems like the tools are there.

The tools are definitely there. I mean theyre almost identical when it comes to physical tools. Same height almost identical wingspans and standing reach. Athletically Oden may have been a little quicker but ya to me theyre pretty close physically. Even a motivated Ayton still doesnt have the IQ/timing defensively that Oden had. Oden had ridiculous timing and IQ on defense coming into college. There is a reason only he and Anthony Davis are the only freshman to win DPOY. So does he have the tools? Ya without a doubt. But even with him motivated I dont see the defensive presence Oden was, I just dont see the natural defensive IQ and timing though, I still think he can be a really good defender though. Its not like he was a bad defender when motivated, the times he showed a motor he was a good defender (just not Oden good though).

I do want to say I still have Oden as the best prospect coming out of high school since Lebron, so this is no way me trying to knock Ayton. I will also say this, if Ayton shows a consistent high motor this year at Zona, I would probably have him higher than my boy Bagley. I think a motivated Ayton can be a KAT with good defense.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#49 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

The tools are definitely there. I mean theyre almost identical when it comes to physical tools. Same height almost identical wingspans and standing reach. Athletically Oden may have been a little quicker but ya to me theyre pretty close physically. Even a motivated Ayton still doesnt have the IQ/timing defensively that Oden had. Oden had ridiculous timing and IQ on defense coming into college. There is a reason only he and Anthony Davis are the only freshman to win DPOY. So does he have the tools? Ya without a doubt. But even with him motivated I dont see the defensive presence Oden was, I just dont see the natural defensive IQ and timing though, I still think he can be a really good defender though. Its not like he was a bad defender when motivated, the times he showed a motor he was a good defender (just not Oden good though).

I do want to say I still have Oden as the best prospect coming out of high school since Lebron, so this is no way me trying to knock Ayton. I will also say this, if Ayton shows a consistent high motor this year at Zona, I would probably have him higher than my boy Bagley. I think a motivated Ayton can be a KAT with good defense.

I'm very interested to see how Ayton goes. As a prospective bottom 3 team, Bagley/Doncic are the main prizes in my eyes for the Bulls. Both supreme talents that I wouldn't bat an eye about taking, but beyond that, I would say not perfect fits next to our current pieces (being LaVine and Markkanen).

If Ayton can reach his potential as a prospect, I think he's absolutely on that Bagley/Doncic tier though, and imo, a better fit. Would be a very exciting fit as a 2 way center next to Markkanen in the front-court.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

I'm very interested to see how Ayton goes. As a prospective bottom 3 team, Bagley/Doncic are the main prizes in my eyes for the Bulls. Both supreme talents that I wouldn't bat an eye about taking, but beyond that, I would say not perfect fits next to our current pieces (being LaVine and Markkanen).

If Ayton can reach his potential as a prospect, I think he's absolutely on that Bagley/Doncic tier though, and imo, a better fit. Would be a very exciting fit as a 2 way center next to Markkanen in the front-court.

I dont quite agree with that part. I actually think all 3 big men fit pretty well with those guys. Starting with Markkanen, pairing him up with a big that can defend, rebound and protect the paint is the ideal big you want to pair with Markkanen. I think all the bigs do those 3 things or at least have the potential to do those things very well. I think they all fit very well with the stretch 4 that Lauri is. When it comes to Lavine, I think we have seen that he can play off of a big like Ayton offensively, he has done it for the first few years of his career. I actually think Chicago is in a cant miss position with those 3 bigs. I think the biggest non fit in my opinion for you guys is Porter. Hes going to be a 4 in the NBA and I think Markkanen is going to be best as a stretch 4 because he doesnt have the rim protection you want from your 5. I think your guys future will be looking really bright with LaVine/Lauri (big fan of both guys) and any of those 3 bigs. Not sure how Doncic fits.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#51 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I dont quite agree with that part. I actually think all 3 big men fit pretty well with those guys. Starting with Markkanen, pairing him up with a big that can defend, rebound and protect the paint is the ideal big you want to pair with Markkanen. I think all the bigs do those 3 things or at least have the potential to do those things very well. I think they all fit very well with the stretch 4 that Lauri is. When it comes to Lavine, I think we have seen that he can play off of a big like Ayton offensively, he has done it for the first few years of his career. I actually think Chicago is in a cant miss position with those 3 bigs. I think the biggest non fit in my opinion for you guys is Porter. Hes going to be a 4 in the NBA and I think Markkanen is going to be best as a stretch 4 because he doesnt have the rim protection you want from your 5. I think your guys future will be looking really bright with LaVine/Lauri (big fan of both guys) and any of those 3 bigs. Not sure how Doncic fits.

Do you think Bagley would be comfortable at the 5 full time next to Markkanen, in terms of position and well as complimenting skill-sets? Bamba obviously ticks all the boxes as well, I just wouldn't have him quite on the same tier as Bagley or a solid motor Ayton.

Doncic is a good fit overall, couple of question marks with the fit though. He's super versatile, so whether he's playing PG or SF, he can play off those guys easily, and should make the most of those 2 because they are scoring orientated guys, but I think we'd have to make an effort to get high level defenders at our other 2 positions, because Doncic/LaVine/Markkanen isn't a great defensive trio.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:21 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

Do you think Bagley would be comfortable at the 5 full time next to Markkanen, in terms of position and well as complimenting skill-sets? Bamba obviously ticks all the boxes as well, I just wouldn't have him quite on the same tier as Bagley or a solid motor Ayton.

Doncic is a good fit overall, couple of question marks with the fit though. He's super versatile, so whether he's playing PG or SF, he can play off those guys easily, and should make the most of those 2 because they are scoring orientated guys, but I think we'd have to make an effort to get high level defenders at our other 2 positions, because Doncic/LaVine/Markkanen isn't a great defensive trio.

Bagley would no doubt struggle against the big boys like a Marc Gasol or Boogie. But I do think hes going to play a lot of 5 in the NBA also a lot of 4. I think his skills fit with Markkanen as well because he is a tremendous defender/rim protector and great rebounder. And offensively he is great 15ft and in (like the jumper form and potential, just not there yet), so Markkanen's sharpshooting would be a great fit alongside him.

And ya I agree that it would be hard to pass up the defensive potential of the 3 big guys when you have Lauri and Zach. Porter is a terrible defender and Ive heard Doncic is no star on that side either. Cant make the same mistake the Wolves did and go nothing but offense with your young guys.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#53 » by Hold That » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 am

Frame looks like DRob his game reminds me of Patrick Ewing
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#54 » by GimmeDat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Bagley would no doubt struggle against the big boys like a Marc Gasol or Boogie. But I do think hes going to play a lot of 5 in the NBA also a lot of 4. I think his skills fit with Markkanen as well because he is a tremendous defender/rim protector and great rebounder. And offensively he is great 15ft and in (like the jumper form and potential, just not there yet), so Markkanen's sharpshooting would be a great fit alongside him.

And ya I agree that it would be hard to pass up the defensive potential of the 3 big guys when you have Lauri and Zach. Porter is a terrible defender and Ive heard Doncic is no star on that side either. Cant make the same mistake the Wolves did and go nothing but offense with your young guys.

There's only one outcome I would be overly disappointed with (apart from falling out of the top 5 ofc) and that's taking Porter.

As you said, I think he's a no defense PF, and on top of that I really don't rate him as a prospect compared to the other top guys. Just makes no sense for us.

I think you have to take Doncic regardless of the defensive issues (to clarify, good team defender, savvy but ultimately limited individual defender, it's just not enough when we alread have 2 mediocre defenders) because he's so good, but if he's gone and one of the 3 bigs is there, I won't be complaining because it works out really well for us.

Could be getting a bit too far in to the future, but 2019 has a lot of wing talent as well, so in that way it works out well also.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#55 » by Lalouie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:01 am

If you guys have pac12 network and specifically pac12 az,, they will probably replay the red/blue intersquad game
cursedsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 1,448

Post#56 » by cursedsportsfan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Lalouie wrote:If you guys have pac12 network and specifically pac12 az,, they will probably replay the red/blue intersquad game

Here is a link to the whole red/blue game.
[url][/url]

I was at the game live. Ayton is a freak. There were a lot of things to like about his play so I'll just stick to his negatives. I've seen AG, Stanley, Lauri, etc and no one has stood out as much as him at Arizona.

1) I felt like he floated on the perimeter way too much. He does have a nice shot, but man he is a terror down low.
2) I didn't see much effort on defense. Hopefully, that's because it was a scrimmage. But the rest of our players were going at it pretty hard on defense and there were a couple hard fouls.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#57 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 pm

cursedsportsfan wrote:
Lalouie wrote:If you guys have pac12 network and specifically pac12 az,, they will probably replay the red/blue intersquad game

[url][/url]

I was at the game live. Ayton is a freak. There were a lot of things to like about his play so I'll just stick to his negatives. I've seen AG, Stanley, Lauri, etc and no one has stood out as much as him at Arizona.

1) I felt like he floated on the perimeter way too much. He does have a nice shot, but man he is a terror down low.
2) I didn't see much effort on defense. Hopefully, that's because it was a scrimmage. But the rest of our players were going at it pretty hard on defense and there were a couple hard fouls.

first off, good looking out on the link, much obliged. as for the bolded part. that's the same thing i was noticing in the highlight clips of the game. Hardly any rotations and not everything was a missed read, some of it was just "nah I'm not going over there". I like you hope that it was the setting and not a lack of awareness or desire. But little things like that are what keeps him on the outside of the number 1 pick convo in some circles.

Everything else is there. my goodness the kid could be friggin special and throw his name in the hat with the best in the league at the 5 in a few years but he needs to get his motor going. It's very much make or break for him.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#58 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:21 pm

cursedsportsfan wrote:

[url][/url]

I think there was an issue with his desire but don't quote me on this
cursedsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 1,448

Post#59 » by cursedsportsfan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 pm

first off, good looking out on the link, much obliged. as for the bolded part. that's the same thing i was noticing in the highlight clips of the game. Hardly any rotations and not everything was a missed read, some of it was just "nah I'm not going over there". I like you hope that it was the setting and not a lack of awareness or desire. But little things like that are what keeps him on the outside of the number 1 pick convo in some circles.

Everything else is there. my goodness the kid could be friggin special and throw his name in the hat with the best in the league at the 5 in a few years but he needs to get his motor going. It's very much make or break for him.
[/quote]

My hope is Miller can bring out constant effort both as an Arizona fan and basketball fan in general. The kid has all the talent in the world.

Yeah, there was one particular play where he flat out didn't even attempt to rotate and defend the shot. Stuff like that really irks me but hopefully, it's due to the game being a scrimmage. At work or else I'd find the time on the play =P
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#60 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Lalouie wrote:
cursedsportsfan wrote:

[url][/url]

I think there was an issue with his desire but don't quote me on this

well you're not wrong. that's been the biggest and in some ways ONLY question with him. From a pure talent and physical standpoint he's absolutely ideal. Whether or not he uses those elements to the fullest is the big question.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to NBA Draft