DeAndre Ayton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,194

Re: DeAndre Ayton 

Post#441 » by lambchop » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Yep, imo he looks like a nice franchise piece but not a franchise player. The dominant centers / bigmen in the league are all incredibly skilled: AD, Cousins, Gasol, Embiid. The there are those who are excellent shot blockers and athletes who can catch lobs: Deandre, Gobert. Then of course guys like Drummond who can dunk, block and really pass the ball.

Ayton reminds me more of a much more athletic aaron baynes. I don't see that Joel Embiid type of skill level.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#442 » by yoyoboy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Pinkyring wrote:He'll look great in a mavs uniform i just hate these old freshman, he's about to be 20 already

Yeah it's crazy that Jaren Jackson Jr is 14 months younger than Ayton.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#443 » by Alatan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 pm

lambchop wrote:Yep, imo he looks like a nice franchise piece but not a franchise player. The dominant centers / bigmen in the league are all incredibly skilled: AD, Cousins, Gasol, Embiid. The there are those who are excellent shot blockers and athletes who can catch lobs: Deandre, Gobert. Then of course guys like Drummond who can dunk, block and really pass the ball.

Ayton reminds me more of a much more athletic aaron baynes. I don't see that Joel Embiid type of skill level.

I think he will be a similar player to Willie Cauley-Stein.
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#444 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 pm

At this point, it's quite hard to picture him not going no.1. Especially after individual workouts with some teams, owners and execs are gonna be amazed by his size, physique, and athleticism. However, can he dominate in the NBA is another story, since basically everyone in the NBA is considered a freak athlete. Ayton is dominating guys that are considerably smaller and less athletic than him.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#445 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Alatan wrote:
lambchop wrote:Yep, imo he looks like a nice franchise piece but not a franchise player. The dominant centers / bigmen in the league are all incredibly skilled: AD, Cousins, Gasol, Embiid. The there are those who are excellent shot blockers and athletes who can catch lobs: Deandre, Gobert. Then of course guys like Drummond who can dunk, block and really pass the ball.

I don't see this comparison at all.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#446 » by SlowPaced » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Man some of these comparisons here. Aron Baynes, Willie Cauley-Stein, I don't know what player you're watching.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#447 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:54 pm

SlowPaced wrote:Man some of these comparisons here. Aron Baynes, Willie Cauley-Stein, I don't know what player you're watching.

Totally agree. Cauley-Stein couldn't be more off. Both offensively and defensively.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#448 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Alatan wrote:

WCS was a freak defender in college. KAT got all the coverage of that team because he got the highlight blocks, but damn WCS flat out locked down every single guy he faced. He also was one of the least skilled bigs on offense that I can remember. That is almost the complete opposite of how I would describe Ayton.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#449 » by nolang1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm

This last game (@ASU) was his most impressive of the season. He had a huge size advantage but he did well with double-teams and showed off really good hands in controlling some rebounds and catching passes. He gets tip-ins that for most other bigs you'd be happy to just see them come down with the offensive rebound.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#450 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:55 pm

nolang1 wrote:This last game (@ASU) was his most impressive of the season. He had a huge size advantage but he did well with double-teams and showed off really good hands in controlling some rebounds and catching passes. He gets tip-ins that for most other bigs you'd be happy to just see them come down with the offensive rebound.

Its games like that one where you say to yourself, how the hell can that guy not be the #1 pick. But then there are those stretches like when he kind of just floats on the perimeter and he just wastes his size and athleticism advantage and his impact is just meh. But ya games like this last one shows the dude has as much potential as anyone in this draft, its just a matter if a team can unleash his work ethic and motor every game.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#451 » by Alatan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

Duke4life831 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

WCS was a freak defender in college. KAT got all the coverage of that team because he got the highlight blocks, but damn WCS flat out locked down every single guy he faced. He also was one of the least skilled bigs on offense that I can remember. That is almost the complete opposite of how I would describe Ayton.

I dont mean that they are similar college players but that they will be similar NBA players. Both are freak athletes that have questionable IQ, awareness and basketball skills. The fact that WCS dominated defensively on pure athleticism is even worse for Ayton. Aytons offensive production is more a product of significant size and athletic advantage over his opponents, than of the few awkwardly implemented skills he has shown so far. In the NBA his awful team defense and rim protection will be exploited and he will not be able to put up the production he does now against similar athletic freaks at his position.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#452 » by arkuo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 am

I think people tend to overanalyze drafting. Maybe much of it comes from getting Oden or Thabeet.

But then again if he's the best talent available yhen you take him. Ginobli was taken #57. Kahwi Leonard was taken at #15. Nowitzki was taken at #9. Look back last year and Donovan Mitchell was taken at #25 if Im not mistaken. You never know until they play an NBA game.

Nowitzki was slow and only shot jumpshots for scouts. Traded on draft night. Yet the guy has a ring. If Ayton produces one ring his entire career then the gamble to draft him even if he's questionnable defensively at age 19 would be worth it. But only time can tell.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#453 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 am

I heard Ayton has only been playing basketball for 5 years which is good news because I wonder why he seems to stand around alot but it could just be he's still learning team basics.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#454 » by SlowPaced » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:26 am

arkuo wrote:Look back last year and Donovan Mitchell was taken at #25 if Im not mistaken. You never know until they play an NBA game.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,186

Post#455 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:I heard Ayton has only been playing basketball for 5 years which is good news because I wonder why he seems to stand around alot but it could just be he's still learning team basics.

Possibly. He's not really a basketball savant though. Embiid, for instance, played basketball for a whole two years before going to Kansas. He picked up the nuances on the game almost immediately.

That's not a dig against Ayton because Embiid is special, but it's not a given that he gets there mentally.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#456 » by thamadkant » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 am

Those players you mentioned werent as skilled as they are now when they were in college, which Ayton is...

Development in the league is a big thing....
toussaud
Junior
And1: 238

Post#457 » by toussaud » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:38 am

patrick ewing with more range on his jumper
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,186

Post#458 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 am

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:At this point, it's quite hard to picture him not going no.1. Especially after individual workouts with some teams, owners and execs are gonna be amazed by his size, physique, and athleticism. However, can he dominate in the NBA is another story, since basically everyone in the NBA is considered a freak athlete. Ayton is dominating guys that are considerably smaller and less athletic than him.

I think he'll be like a Drummond. One night he'll look like the best big in the league another night he's content going 8 and 10 and on to the next game.

If he finds that motivation/motor on a consistent basis he's going to be unstoppable.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#459 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 am

toussaud wrote:patrick ewing with more range on his jumper

And without the defense/rim protection.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,467

Post#460 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Alatan wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

Duke4life831 wrote:
Alatan wrote:

I dont mean that they are similar college players but that they will be similar NBA players. Both are freak athletes that have questionable IQ, awareness and basketball skills. The fact that WCS dominated defensively on pure athleticism is even worse for Ayton. Aytons offensive production is more a product of significant size and athletic advantage over his opponents, than of the few awkwardly implemented skills he has shown so far. In the NBA his awful team defense and rim protection will be exploited and he will not be able to put up the production he does now against similar athletic freaks at his position.

I think Ayton is more skilled than you’re saying.

Return to NBA Draft