Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

han320
Sophomore
And1: 8

Re: Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#121 » by han320 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:40 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:

The Minnesota game really showed off his versatility. Passing, Threes, Defense, Putbacks. Best MSU prospect since Magic.

I love the fact that he is a one motion shooter. Compared to other big men his release is very quick and should translate well to the NBA 3pt range.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#122 » by MemphisX » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 am

I expect Jackson's minutes to tick up during the important tourney games over Ward.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#123 » by Catchall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 am

I think he may be top 3 at this point after Ayton and Bagley.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#124 » by GimmeDat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 am

How are people feeling about his rebounding at this point? Seems like the only question mark for me but I think you could still argue he'd be a good enough rebounder in the NBA.
han320
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#125 » by han320 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:50 am

GimmeDat wrote:How are people feeling about his rebounding at this point? Seems like the only question mark for me but I think you could still argue he'd be a good enough rebounder in the NBA.

His rebounding rate is low when you consider his size and athleticism. Under 10% ORB% and just 15% TRB%. However, Michigan State is one of the best rebounding teams in the country. This could mean JJJ still boxes out well, but his teammates reap the reward and collect the rebound (looking at you Nick Ward). If that's the case, then his low rebounding total isn't a big deal, but I honestly haven't watched enough Michigan State games to pass that judgement.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#126 » by The-Power » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 am

GimmeDat wrote:How are people feeling about his rebounding at this point? Seems like the only question mark for me but I think you could still argue he'd be a good enough rebounder in the NBA.

I still don't see a reason to feel any different about it than I did a while ago.

Spoiler:
The-Power wrote:Aside from individual deficiencies as a rebounder, there are some strategic notes to be made.

1. Jackson plays out on the perimeter a lot which limits his offensive rebounding opportunities.
2. On defense, Izzo has recently emphasized rebounding and urged everybody on his team to crash the defensive glass as opposed to earlier games, when the team was more concerned with running the floor quickly. This means rebounds previously going to Jackson are now going to smaller players.
3. Jackson has been extremely foul prone. I would imagine that he tries to not get called for more fouls than he already does in rebounding situations, i.e. he's a little less aggressive on the glass (but he clearly has the desire to crash the glass hard if unleashed).
4. As on offense, Jackson also plays out on the perimeter more on defense – and naturally some match-ups will lead to lower rebounding numbers if he's pulled away from the rim; this is something we frequently see with PFs in the NBA these days as well.
5. One of his main roles on defense is that of a help defender. This means that frequently he goes for the contest/block while other, less talented rim protectors/shot blockers, will already look to get into position for the rebound.

Individual rebounding numbers get grossly overrated at times. What matters are how much you contribute to your team's rebounding, in whatever way, and despite some necessary improvements by Jackson I consider his impact on team rebounding to be absolutely nothing to worry about – especially for a Freshman.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,376

Post#127 » by baldur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:07 am

for a 6'10 height guy, he releases his three-pointers in the blink of an eye. so impressive.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,587

Post#128 » by The Master » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 am

Isn't right to say that Jackson is similar/better prospect than Towns?

Per 40:
20.6ppg, 10.9rpg, 2.4apg, 1.2spg, 5.9bpg, 3.4tov, 5.7pf, 68%ts
19.5ppg, 12.7rpg, 2.1apg, 0.9spg, 4.3bpg, 2.6tov, 5.6pf, 63%ts
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#129 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am

Not a problem at all if you put him next to Drummond. Please please please let Detroit get a top 3 pick so they don't have to send it to the Clippers!
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#130 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:08 pm

han320 wrote:

His rebounding rate is low when you consider his size and athleticism. Under 10% ORB% and just 15% TRB%. However, Michigan State is one of the best rebounding teams in the country. This could mean JJJ still boxes out well, but his teammates reap the reward and collect the rebound (looking at you Nick Ward). If that's the case, then his low rebounding total isn't a big deal, but I honestly haven't watched enough Michigan State games to pass that judgement.

Yeah, it's a conundrum. He grabs only 6 rebounds in the last game, but his team outrebounded the opposition 45 to 20, so... how do you evaluate it? Used to have that same question about Nene. He'd prevent his man from getting rebounds but wouldn't necessarily get them himself. But I compared his team's rebounding with him on the floor vs him off the floor, and it was always dramatically better with him on the floor.

Thing is - he's a high IQ player - and I don't say that about many 18 year old bigs. He makes the right plays AND he does it without hesitation. He doesn't dawdle with the ball trying to decide what to do - like most bigs do. Sees the double-team and immediately looks for the open man and gets it to him in one motion. You can see him on replays anticipating what's going to happen - just biding his time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
The-Power
General Manager

Post#131 » by The-Power » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:Yeah, it's a conundrum. He grabs only 6 rebounds in the last game, but his team outrebounded the opposition 45 to 20, so... how do you evaluate it?

Individual rebounding numbers are really overrated. I care about how a player rebounds in traffic, if he cares about rebounding and whether he boxes out properly or not. Some players hunt rebounds and actually hurt their teams defense – or even defensive rebounding – and some players just always put a body on someone and help the team rebounding numbers despite rather pedestrian individual rebounding numbers. Not to mention that we should assess players for how they fare in the roles they are asked to fill out and not based on the roles they are given – and role makes a big difference in this regard.

Generally speaking, whenever a player has relatively low rebounding numbers but his team rebounds well, I do not criticize him for or evaluate him based on that. I scout how that players helps the team rebounding and how he fares in contested rebound situations, sure. But I couldn't care less about who grabs the uncontested rebounds, and I advise others to do the same.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#132 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:29 pm

The-Power wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, it's a conundrum. He grabs only 6 rebounds in the last game, but his team outrebounded the opposition 45 to 20, so... how do you evaluate it?

Individual rebounding numbers are really overrated. I care about how a player rebounds in traffic, if he cares about rebounding and whether he boxes out properly or not. Some players hunt rebounds and actually hurt their teams defense – or even defensive rebounding – and some players just always put a body on someone and help the team rebounding numbers despite rather pedestrian individual rebounding numbers. Not to mention that we should assess players for how they fare in the roles they are asked to fill out and not based on the roles they are given – and role makes a big difference in this regard.

Generally speaking, whenever a player has relatively low rebounding numbers but his team rebounds well, I do not criticize him for or evaluate him based on that. I scout how that players helps the team rebounding and how he fares in contested rebound situations, sure. But I couldn't care less about who grabs the uncontested rebounds, and I advise others to do the same.

It would help make the stat more useful if we could eliminate defensive rebounds when nobody on the other team makes an effort to go for the offensive rebound.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#133 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Im liking him more and more as the season progresses. Im starting to like him more than Bamba and even Bagley.

Do you see him as a long term 5 or a 4?
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#134 » by MemphisX » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:37 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Im liking him more and more as the season progresses. Im starting to like him more than Bamba and even Bagley.

Do you see him as a long term 5 or a 4?

I think it depends on the team setup. I see him as both but eventually a full time 5 when his frame fills out.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,830

Post#135 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 pm

For me, witht the way the NBA is right now, I think he would do best as a 5. I don't think he can hound the perimeter defensively like he used to against NBA-type of players. Plus, almost all Cs are chucking 3s lately so he would fit right in.
LunchBox21
Freshman
And1: 86

Post#136 » by LunchBox21 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 am

The Master wrote:Isn't right to say that Jackson is similar/better prospect than Towns?

Per 40:
20.6ppg, 10.9rpg, 2.4apg, 1.2spg, 5.9bpg, 3.4tov, 5.7pf, 68%ts
19.5ppg, 12.7rpg, 2.1apg, 0.9spg, 4.3bpg, 2.6tov, 5.6pf, 63%ts

Raw numbers maybe.. KAT more skilled on offense though. That's what we need to see from JJJ more: self creation. If he has that in the bag of tricks then he's as good as any big to come out recently.
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#137 » by blackham9258 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:17 am

Prospect maybe, but player definately not. Draymond Green would beg to differ. Defensive Player of the year, All Nba, and multi time All Star.

Steve Smith as well would like to disagree.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#138 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:03 pm

blackham9258 wrote:Prospect maybe, but player definately not. Draymond Green would beg to differ. Defensive Player of the year, All Nba, and multi time All Star.

Steve Smith as well would like to disagree.

so you're saying a kid that just turned 18 isn't as good right now as a 27 year old 6 year NBA veteran all star? any other insight you can give us on JJJ?
The-Power
General Manager

Post#139 » by The-Power » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Do you see him as a long term 5 or a 4?

Start him at the 4 and slide him over to the 5 when teams size down during the game. He's basically the prototype for a 4/5 hybrid and that's already incredibly valuable even if he doesn't become a star-level player.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#140 » by PLO » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:52 pm

The-Power wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Do you see him as a long term 5 or a 4?

Start him at the 4 and slide him over to the 5 when teams size down during the game. He's basically the prototype for a 4/5 hybrid and that's already incredibly valuable even if he doesn't become a star-level player.

He'd be a 4 for the 76ers but for a team like Orlando he's a hybrid like you say. He and Isaac together would be incredible on D.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.

Return to NBA Draft