Wendell Carter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Re: Wendell Carter 

Post#161 » by WalterBenjamin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 am

Baseline Runner wrote:Carter is intriguing to me because he is a PF with strong rim protection skills. There haven't been many of those in the NBA lately.

So he is a 5. I agree.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#162 » by getrichordie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 am

cedric76 wrote:I think Carter will be drafted by orlando if JJJ and Bamba r gone

I'll be curious to see if the Magic will fall into the Trae Young hype-trap. They haven't had a star point-guard since the great Penny Hardaway and that was in the late 90s. Outside of that, their best point-guard play has come from Jameer Nelson, which was roughly a decade ago. If Carter is available at 6 and Bamba AND Jackson, Jr. are gone, you can't fault Hammond for drafting a guy like Carter. He's the guy who is going to do all of the little things and lead by example i.e. Nick Collison. But you have to wonder if Trae Young or Michael Porter, Jr. (if he's still there) will come back to bit him in the ass.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#163 » by Chi town » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:
Chi town wrote:Love is worth a late 1st. Age and injury.

BS, you are aware half to 2/3s of the draft picks in the top 10 will either be a bust or have mediocre careers. Draft picks are so overrated.

Picks are cheap four year contracts too.
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#164 » by arh1109 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Wendall Carter Jr. – Zach Randolph

Shared the low post with Marvin Bagley at Duke. He’s a big body down low who can score in different areas on the floor. Has a solid jumpshot from midrange and hopefully will be a knockdown three point shooter at the next level. His anticipation on rebounds is fairly good as he isn’t the best vertical leaper at the center spot. Solid strength for a center although his wingspan and standing reach are average. Has decent verticality. Has great basketball i.q. and a good defender at the 5 spot. One of his weaknesses is an inability to slide his feet on switches. I don’t think this will be a huge problem at the next level. In my opinion, he is one of the most complete players in the draft. He’s already close to reaching his full potential and will be a solid player for whoever drafts him.
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#165 » by Truebiscuit » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 am

Love this kid's fit next to Lauri Markkanen!
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#166 » by GameBredAPBT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 pm

arh1109 wrote:Wendall Carter Jr. – Zach Randolph

Shared the low post with Marvin Bagley at Duke. He’s a big body down low who can score in different areas on the floor. Has a solid jumpshot from midrange and hopefully will be a knockdown three point shooter at the next level. His anticipation on rebounds is fairly good as he isn’t the best vertical leaper at the center spot. Solid strength for a center although his wingspan and standing reach are average. Has decent verticality. Has great basketball i.q. and a good defender at the 5 spot. One of his weaknesses is an inability to slide his feet on switches. I don’t think this will be a huge problem at the next level. In my opinion, he is one of the most complete players in the draft. He’s already close to reaching his full potential and will be a solid player for whoever drafts him.

If I didn't know any better, I'd wager this was a troll post (heck, perhaps it is).

Carter has almost nothing in common with Randolph.

Also, a 19 year old is close to reaching his full potential? Okay....what? Not only is he not done maturing physically, he had a very underwhelming year at Duke. He was drafted based off of potential, not what he showed in college.
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#167 » by arh1109 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

GameBredAPBT wrote:

If I didn't know any better, I'd wager this was a troll post (heck, perhaps it is).

Also, a 19 year old is close to reaching his full potential? Okay....what? Not only is he not done maturing physically, he had a very underwhelming year at Duke. He was drafted based off of potential, not what he showed in college.

There both 6'9 and have relative short wingspans to play center. They both have shooting touch. They both have strength that they use more than atheleticism to carve out space on rebounds and postups. They both run the floor in a similar amount of time. And I don't know how you define potential. I say its how skilled a player already is in different facets of the game, attitude, and work ethic. I think he has most of those down besides maybe attitude. You can't improve athelticism, body, or a player's intelligence/mind.
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#168 » by Truebiscuit » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 am

arh1109 wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:

There both 6'9 and have relative short wingspans to play center. They both have shooting touch. They both have strength that they use more than atheleticism to carve out space on rebounds and postups. They both run the floor in a similar amount of time. And I don't know how you define potential. I say its how skilled a player already is in different facets of the game, attitude, and work ethic. I think he has most of those down besides maybe attitude. You can't improve athelticism, body, or a player's intelligence/mind.

He's got a 7'4.5" wingspan with a 9'1" standing reach... I don't know if I'd call that short.
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#169 » by kodo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Truebiscuit wrote:
arh1109 wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:

He's got a 7'4.5" wingspan with a 9'1" standing reach... I don't know if I'd call that short.

Definitely not a short wingspan...Thon Maker 7' 3", Poetl 7' 2", WCS 7' 3", Noel 7' 3"...he's a shade longer than most 7 footers. 7' 4.5" matches identically w/ Steven Adams.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#170 » by Sebastian » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Yeah he has legit center length and is probably physically stronger than the average NBA center at age 19. I don't understand the low ceiling groupthink regarding Carter. He can be a rim protecting big that can pass, score inside, rebound the ball, and hit the three. Switch D is the only real weakness I see. I think other than JJJ, he was the best complement to the best player on the Bulls (Lauri) and they will be a really interesting team to watch when they roll out the Dunn-Lavine-Hutch-Lauri-Carter lineup. That's a ton of youth, length, and athleticism. It's a shame neither Lavine nor Hutch is more of a natural playmaker, as a second one paired with Dunn would give that group pretty close to ideal balance. As it stands the Bulls did the safe, but smart thing by taking Carter. With those 5 + RoLo, Portis, and Nwaba, they're a playoff team on paper and will be a lot of fun to watch.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#171 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:58 am

The more I go back and watch to reassure myself, the happier I am. He will almost undoubtedly be a high positive impact player. Maybe he won't put up stat-lines on the level of some of the top picks in this draft, but Wendell could quickly become an integral ying to Markkanen's yang.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#172 » by Grits n Gravy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:54 am

GimmeDat wrote:The more I go back and watch to reassure myself, the happier I am. He will almost undoubtedly be a high positive impact player. Maybe he won't put up stat-lines on the level of some of the top picks in this draft, but Wendell could quickly become an integral ying to Markkanen's yang.

A lot of people who don't watch the Celtics play criticize or at least misunderstand Al Horford. He's one of the most impactful players in the league and never puts up big, gaudy numbers. Funnily enough quite a few people have compared him to Al I believe.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#173 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 am

Grits n Gravy wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:The more I go back and watch to reassure myself, the happier I am. He will almost undoubtedly be a high positive impact player. Maybe he won't put up stat-lines on the level of some of the top picks in this draft, but Wendell could quickly become an integral ying to Markkanen's yang.

A lot of people who don't watch the Celtics play criticize or at least misunderstand Al Horford. He's one of the most impactful players in the league and never puts up big, gaudy numbers. Funnily enough quite a few people have compared him to Al I believe.

Yeah, and what's more, Carter is an elite rebounder compared to Al, and maayybe more athletic (will have to go back and watch young Al), probably a more advanced array of scoring moves as well.

It remains to be seen whether Wendell can be a defender anywhere close to Horford though (he should beat him as a rim protector but the mobility and awareness is the question mark), whether his passing is on the same level, and I would say Al seems to be better driving off face up situations, though Wendell could well be good at that as well. I'd also say Wendell's shot is a question mark to a degree, though Al's isn't exactly elite himself (outside of him shooting 43% this year on 3 attempts a game, which was great).

If we get an Al-esque piece with Carter, I'll be a happy man.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#174 » by realEAST » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:02 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Grits n Gravy wrote:

Yeah, and what's more, Carter is an elite rebounder compared to Al, and maayybe more athletic (will have to go back and watch young Al), probably a more advanced array of scoring moves as well.

It remains to be seen whether Wendell can be a defender anywhere close to Horford though (he should beat him as a rim protector but the mobility and awareness is the question mark), whether his passing is on the same level, and I would say Al seems to be better driving off face up situations, though Wendell could well be good at that as well. I'd also say Wendell's shot is a question mark to a degree, though Al's isn't exactly elite himself (outside of him shooting 43% this year on 3 attempts a game, which was great).

If we get an Al-esque piece with Carter, I'll be a happy man.

Don't think he is more athletic than young Horford, but my logic here is: Horford suffered injury early and still was more than capable to hold his own athletically, and even now, past 30, he still can with more or less most of them. So worst case, Carter is at that level, which seems to be more than enough, given his other qualities.

I was put to rest when I concluded this :)
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#175 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 pm

I like the player but I don't really like him and Markkanen going forward together on defense. Seems like they would have trouble against the GSWs and HOUs
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#176 » by realEAST » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I like the player but I don't really like him and Markkanen going forward together on defense. Seems like they would have trouble against the GSWs and HOUs

At 19, quite possibly. And luckily there is only one GSW and HOU too.

But I am willing to give them some time, I think they actually fit and complement well.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#177 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:54 pm

I like the fit. I think his defense has gotten overrated while his offense has gotten underrated. I like his defensive potential but it's going to take some time, you can tell there is a real lack of comfortability for him when he has to step out from under the basket on defense. But I think he has the potential on that end.

Offensively I think he's the most skilled big in this class. His jumper is super efficient and effortless, he has great touch with both hands and moves to finish with both hands. Has a really nice turn around shot in the mid range and I think he's the best passer out of the big men. I also think he is the most skilled rebounder as well, he is great at boxing out his man, anticipating where the ball is going to go, attaching the rebound and rebounds outside of his area very well.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#178 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I like the player but I don't really like him and Markkanen going forward together on defense. Seems like they would have trouble against the GSWs and HOUs

When Bulls are good GSW and HOU will be in heavy lottery. We dont need to worry about building a team against which we will never compete. We need to worry about building a team which can beat Celtics and 76ers.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#179 » by Indomitable » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:17 pm

Al Horford never played pf as a pro.
:banghead:
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#180 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:26 pm

I thought it was a major reach. Bridges/MPJ plus Robinson/Williams is better than Carter/Hutchison. This could get people fired

Return to NBA Draft