Wendell Carter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Re: Wendell Carter 

Post#61 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 4:45 am

Yeah, Wendell's defense is definitely a work in progress.

Lacks the ideal size to contest in traffic / vs physicality when he can't load off 2, can be slow to react/spacey in pnr and general rotations. Also plays too much on his toes which is problematic in closeouts / start and stop situations.

Has good physicality, pretty agile side to side and can really explode and contest when he can load up off 2 though.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#62 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:53 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I like Carter more than Bagley.

I have more reservations about Bagley translating than Carter.

I actually don’t have any issue with Bagley translating if he’s played the right way. He should be played the way Blake Griffin is playing right now for the Pistons as a point forward, but I think he still has to be molded a little bit.

Carter’s lack of defense is a little bit of an issue as a center because Starting centers are usually the last line of support and centers that can’t defend usually end up being back ups with exceptions like Vucevic. I think Carter can move and I think he’s tough, I just think he doesn’t know what he’s doing and he ain’t making the right defensive choices. But I also think that’ll come in time. Since he’s so much like Al Horford I think he can also get by playing power forward/Back Up Center. That’s how I see his role in the NBA when he first gets there and he has a nice jumper for that and it could be part of his game he develops in his first year. If Al Horford did what he is doing now when he was 19 he would be a top pick and I think Carter can do what Horford is doing, but more because he’s mobile and young. And I think teams are going to look at what Horford is with the Celtics and they’re going to look at Carter and mold him with the idea that can can be an elite pick&roll and pick&pop player who can also playmake.

Say what you will but Horford makes that Celtics team really hard to guard because he’s a triple threat. In the P&R he can pop, roll to the hoop, make a pass across court and if nothing works he can post up.

I agree with pretty much every word of this including the Bagley part.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#63 » by MemphisX » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 am

This is exactly what I mean. I don’t see Bagley being able to do what Griffin does but that will be the expectation.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#64 » by stinger14 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am

One thing to remember about Bagley....he reclassified to play this year, he could be a senior in high school right now, but instead he is averaging over 21 points and 11.5 rebounds per game while shooting 64% on 2p shots and 35% on 3p shots in the toughest conference in college basketball.....he has improved his shooting touch on his jump shot and free throws

As for Wendell, he has to be a top 10 pick at this point. He has surprised me with his ability to shoot from beyond the arc. He is a force on the inside and a very good rebounder who goes up with both hands to grab the ball strongly. He is also a very good passer as a big man on the interior as well as the high/low game. He is a solid rim protector, but needs to work on his footwork as a defender and needs to get better in PnR defense
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#65 » by No-Man » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 pm

stinger14 wrote:One thing to remember about Bagley....he reclassified to play this year, he could be a senior in high school right now, but instead he is averaging over 21 points and 11.5 rebounds per game while shooting 64% on 2p shots and 35% on 3p shots in the toughest conference in college basketball.....he has improved his shooting touch on his jump shot and free throws

As for Wendell, he has to be a top 10 pick at this point. He has surprised me with his ability to shoot from beyond the arc. He is a force on the inside and a very good rebounder who goes up with both hands to grab the ball strongly. He is also a very good passer as a big man on the interior as well as the high/low game. He is a solid rim protector, but needs to work on his footwork as a defender and needs to get better in PnR defense

Bagley would've been really old for his class if he didn't reclassify, Bagley is gonna be 19 in a month, he is young but he has the age of a true frosh, not a HS senior.
stinger14
Starter

Post#66 » by stinger14 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Fischella wrote:
stinger14 wrote:One thing to remember about Bagley....he reclassified to play this year, he could be a senior in high school right now, but instead he is averaging over 21 points and 11.5 rebounds per game while shooting 64% on 2p shots and 35% on 3p shots in the toughest conference in college basketball.....he has improved his shooting touch on his jump shot and free throws

Bagley would've been really old for his class if he didn't reclassify, Bagley is gonna be 19 in a month, he is young but he has the age of a true frosh, not a HS senior.

Still lost a year of high school ball and AAU ball
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#67 » by 916fan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Fischella wrote:

To be fair, he's still one of the youngest freshman in this current class.
Kingofsayians
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#68 » by Kingofsayians » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:14 pm

LOL @ the ACC being the toughest conference in basketball this year.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Kingofsayians wrote:

According to Kenpom.
#1 team is from the ACC (UVA)
2 teams in the top 5 (most)
3 teams in the top 10 (most)
5 teams in the top 25 (most)
10 teams in the top 50 (most)

According to Kenpom the ACC has the most top tier teams and is also the deepest.
Kingofsayians
Ballboy

Post#70 » by Kingofsayians » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:

According to Kenpom.

According to Kenpom the ACC has the most top tier teams and is also the deepest.

The big 10 has 3 teams in the top 8 so no the ACC literally doesn't have the most teams in the top 10.

According to the ap poll, the ACC has just 3 top 25 teams, 1 top 10 team, 1 top 5 team

Ouch. That's flat out bad.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:

According to Kenpom.

The big 10 has 3 teams in the top 8 so no the ACC literally doesn't have the most teams in the top 10.

According to the ap poll, the ACC has just 3 top 25 teams, 1 top 10 team, 1 top 5 team

Texas Tech is in the Big 12 not the Big 10. So the Big 12 only has 2 teams in the top 10. The AP and Coaches poll is much more narrative based while Kenpom takes a look at just the numbers and the Kenpom rankings are highly respected in college basketball. So if you want to make an argument for another conference being better that is fine. It is just very easy to make an argument for the ACC based off statistical rankings.
Kingofsayians
Ballboy

Post#72 » by Kingofsayians » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
According to Kenpom.

Texas Tech is in the Big 12 not the Big 10. So the Big 12 only has 2 teams in the top 10. The AP and Coaches poll is much more narrative based while Kenpom takes a look at just the numbers and the Kenpom rankings are highly respected in college basketball. So if you want to make an argument for another conference being better that is fine. It is just very easy to make an argument foHr the ACC based off statistical rankings.

Who said anything about Texas Tech? Ohio State, Purdue and MSU were all top 8 in the AP poll

I couldn't care less about Kenpom, the rankings are biased to big names playing weak scheduled and racking up the wins, always has been.
stinger14
Starter

Post#73 » by stinger14 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:

According to Kenpom.

Big Ten? LOL....if you are going to argue against the ACC, please dont bring up the conference that lost 11 to 2 in the ACC/Big East challenge.....The ACC is good from top to bottom which makes it tough each night you play, therefore teams will lose a few games and not be ranked as high in the AP poll...Every team in the ACC has a winning record in non-conference play, heck Pittsburgh is 0-13 in ACC games, but they are 8-5 out of conference....As I said the ACC is the best and deepest conference in the country!
Kingofsayians
Ballboy

Post#74 » by Kingofsayians » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

stinger14 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
According to Kenpom.

Big Ten? LOL....if you are going to argue against the ACC, please dont bring up the conference that lost 11 to 2 in the ACC/Big East challenge.....The ACC is good from top to bottom which makes ot tough each night you play, therefore teams will lose a few games and not be ranked as high in the AP poll...Every team in the ACC has a winning record in non-conference play, heck Pittsburgh is 0-13 in ACC games, but they are 8-5 out of conference....As I said the ACC is the best and deepest conference in the country!

Lol my stomach hurts from laughing. The ACC is flat out ass

ACC/B1G challenge. ROTFL . That's as meaningfil as conference bowl records.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:

Texas Tech is in the Big 12 not the Big 10. So the Big 12 only has 2 teams in the top 10. The AP and Coaches poll is much more narrative based while Kenpom takes a look at just the numbers and the Kenpom rankings are highly respected in college basketball. So if you want to make an argument for another conference being better that is fine. It is just very easy to make an argument foHr the ACC based off statistical rankings.

Who said anything about Texas Tech? Ohio State, Purdue and MSU were all top 8 in the AP poll

I couldn't care less about Kenpom, the rankings are biased to big names playing weak scheduled and racking up the wins, always has been.

The top 4 in the Kenpom rankings right now is UVA, Villanova, Cincinnati and Purdue. You have a team from the left overs of the Big East, a team from the American conference, Purdue which is far from a big name or power house and UVA is also far from being a big name in the ACC. UVA, Villanova and Duke have all played schedules ranked in the top 25, hell the team with the weakest schedule on there is Cincinnati, which is the least well known school and the team from the worst conference out of the top ranked schools. So much for only being big named schools that play crappy schedules. And really, youre going to say a statistical based system, is more biased to big named schools than the media who loves big named schools?

Anyways Im done derailing this thread. Sorry to everyone for derailing this.
Kingofsayians
Ballboy

Post#76 » by Kingofsayians » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

The top 4 in the Kenpom rankings right now is UVA, Villanova, Cincinnati and Purdue. You have a team from the left overs of the Big East, a team from the American conference, Purdue which is far from a big name or power house and UVA is also far from being a big name in the ACC. UVA, Villanova and Duke have all played schedules ranked in the top 25, hell the team with the weakest schedule on there is Cincinnati, which is the least well known school and the team from the worst conference out of the top ranked schools. So much for only being big named schools that play crappy schedules. And really, youre going to say a statistical based system, is more biased to big named schools than the media who loves big named schools?

I guess you missed the part where i said i couldn't care less about Kenpom rankings, they are irrelevant. Meaningless.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:

I guess you missed the part where i said i couldn't care less about Kenpom rankings, they are irrelevant. Meaningless.

Ya I get it. You couldnt care less about something that doesnt help fit your narrative. Its not like Ken Pomeroy was brought in during one of the last meetings by the NCAA to help modernize and make the selection committee more accurate, its not like Kenpom rankings havent surpassed RPI as the most important ranking system that the committee uses to select the tournament field.

But no its irrelevant to bring up Kenpom rankings while trying to discuss who has the best conference because you couldnt care less about them.

Kingofsayians
Ballboy

Post#78 » by Kingofsayians » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya I get it. You couldnt care less about something that doesnt help fit your narrative. Its not like Ken Pomeroy was brought in during one of the last meetings by the NCAA to help modernize and make the selection committee more accurate, its not like Kenpom rankings havent surpassed RPI as the most important ranking system that the committee uses to select the tournament field.

But no its irrelevant to bring up Kenpom rankings while trying to discuss who has the best conference because you couldnt care less about them.

the ACC fan thinks Kenpom is accurate!?! im shocked i tell you! shocked!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Anyways Im still waiting for Wendell to show up during a big game. Even when he puts up solid stats like in the UVA game, I still think his impact is pretty quiet in big games. He was basically invisible against UNC and was benched a few times in that games because of his defense.

I still like Carter as a pro, but he has begun to slip a little for me because he just doesnt play with the motor and toughness I wish he would play with. A guy his size and with his strength should dominate the college game. He looks dominant against bad teams but once a top tier team comes along he just seems to shrink. His defense has also continued to regress throughout the season, I basically cringe whenever he has to step out outside from under the rim defensively.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#80 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Kingofsayians wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kingofsayians wrote:

the ACC fan thinks Kenpom is accurate!?! im shocked i tell you! shocked!

You spelled Saiyans wrong in your name.

Return to NBA Draft