Trae Young

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Trae Young 

Post#101 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:40 pm

I’m so back and forth between Sexton, Young and Duval. They all bring something different. All three could have good careers. But for me Young is the most ready right now and I think that’s enough to be the first point guard off the board. In terms of tier, I have them all on the same tier. Trae Young on a pick and roll team could be really good, Duval on a team that needs a manager could be really good and Sexton on a team that likes to iso. Duval and Sexton need to develop a bit and that’s why I have Young above them.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#102 » by Justwar » Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:48 pm

I'd go sexton, duval and young. All 3 have huge bust potential but in that order brings the most potential to bring to the table
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#103 » by The-Power » Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:55 pm

Young, to me, has by far the highest potential. He can bust but if he reaches his potential then he'll be an offensive anchor that Duval and Sexton simply cannot be – certainly not at that level.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#104 » by blazeyo » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:06 pm

Justwar wrote:I'd go sexton, duval and young. All 3 have huge bust potential but in that order brings the most potential to bring to the table

You have to go with Young here. Can't see anything special with Duval and Sexton is a huge project.

Young should be the first guard picked.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#105 » by Justwar » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:14 pm

I don't know if he gets his shot off at the next level to be a star, kinda like balls shots were fools gold. He's likely gonna measure out at 6'0 without shoes and really short arms. Who wants a volume shooting non defender? Sexton can improve his j. Duval at least can be a pretty good defender and maybe someday improve his shot like rondo has somewhat

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,580

Post#106 » by The Master » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:14 pm

Sexton is more safe pick, Young has clearly bigger upside with his playmaking and shooting potential, so the decision depends on what your team wants to take. I don't see Duval in this conversation, his shooting is a big limitation for a guard, still can be decent starter on NBA level but he's not even lottery pick in most mocks.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:37 pm

The Master wrote:Sexton is more safe pick, Young has clearly bigger upside with his playmaking and shooting potential, so the decision depends on what your team wants to take. I don't see Duval in this conversation, his shooting is a big limitation for a guard, still can be decent starter on NBA level but he's not even lottery pick in most mocks.

Sexton still has a lot to learn, but he probably does have the lowest floor. Young has the ability right now though. The problem with him is if he has much more upside, but even then he’s already really good. Duval needs to shoot, but if he learns to shoot he’s on another level. I don’t think shooting (unless their form needs to be completely reworked) should scare anyone off. If they’re a hard worker, they’ll learn how to shoot. Duval won’t be outside of the lottery and if he is, it’s because teams are already happy with their point guards.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Trae Young 

Post#108 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:49 pm

King Ken wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is insanely good off-ball whenever he is at it, not often, I mean he does go hard and fast to find open spots and his off-ball 3s % is sky-high, I think he can be used in that sense, and also in DHO which is something that OU doesn't do that often, he could kill.

I would say his athletic profile/size is inferior to Lillard, Irving and Curry, and I doubt he gets to be as good of a finisher, but if he hones the pull-up, he can be there otherwise (likely bad on D similar to Lillard, less switchable, has great hands for steals, Steph-level, but that's about it on that end).

All together I think his upside is someone as good in terms of positive impact as Kemba, who also couldn't finish when he got to the league and improved there (although he is more athletic than Trae, but Trae is much further along as a shooter).

I think top10 for sure, maybe top7 if he shows improvements as a finisher.

I was going to ask you how you think he compares to Kemba, because after getting to see more of him, his plusses and minuses seem to be very similar. But Kemba has that rare compete gene in him - with that insane will to compete. I'm not going to assume any college player has that until I see it game in and game out.

Kemba knew the game much better and had the nuisance of being a college PG down. His transition to the NBA was more physical (skill-set and tool-box) than mental(nuisance for the position, feel for the game, BBIQ).

Young will have to adjust for all of it. I don't see him being more than a 2nd stringer as his ceiling if he leaves as a Freshman. He needs to stay another year. Make sure his mental is great because he has the skill-set so even if his tool-box isn't good, it's okay because he has the rest.

Nuisance-an irritant or pesky issue
Nuance???

(The second one is what I think you were going for. It means the same thing as a trait, a facet, or one part of a greater whole.)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#109 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 6, 2017 11:57 pm

Wrong thread
Bye bye Beal.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,580

Post#110 » by The Master » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:00 am

Maybe I wasn't right with Duval being outside of a lottery in most mocks (he's #13-15 in most, but not in mine), but his shot is really broken. Yes, he's fun to watch, great defender and very good playmaker, but he's also 13ppg scorer on 51%ts on very talented team with good spacing. Definitely first rounder, but in modern NBA to have starter on PG position without shot is very risky, and I don't want that risk, especially when there are still nice names available in lottery. Unless you believe you can fix his shot, he's not a good scorer, and I don't want a starter who destroys my spacing especially as ballhandler.

Young is all about potential, it's hard to say if his combination of shooting, playmaking and physical limitations can translate to the next level, but he can have allstar impact on offense if he translates. But on the other hand, I consider his floor as very low, possible issues with being more of a role player and being outplayed physically on both ends of a floor. I believe in Young, but I consider Sexton as more safe pick with smaller upside.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#111 » by Justwar » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:38 am

Young will translate if he becomes a lesser scorer that shoots when open and passes well. I gotta feeling he won't adjust well to being second or third or fourth best player very well

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:29 am

Justwar wrote:Young will translate if he becomes a lesser scorer that shoots when open and passes well. I gotta feeling he won't adjust well to being second or third or fourth best player very well

I think it’s the opposite. He’ll play better as a second, third or fourth option. He needs better players around him and needs a good rolling big that can play with him. He tries to force shots because he feels like he needs to, otherwise his team loses.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#113 » by Justwar » Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:48 am

He's been this way his entire life though. He's always needed the ball to be successful. I don't think he'll do well off the ball. He's a high usage low efficiency type. How many small low wingspan guys have been stars?

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:49 am

Justwar wrote:He's been this way his entire life though. He's always needed the ball to be successful. I don't think he'll do well off the ball. He's a high usage low efficiency type. How many small low wingspan guys have been stars?

Maybe not stars, but..
Monta Ellis
JJ Redick
Darren Collison
Ty Lawson
Patty Mills
Isaiah Thomas
TJ McConnell

All have short wingspans. They all have certain things that make them successful: Speed in the P&R, high-end three point shooting and shot creation ability (via handle or passing). Young has all of that. The stuff that makes each of these guys successful, Young has it all. He’s a high-end shooter, great handle/will be a great P&R player and he creates a lot of space with his handle.

Maybe there haven’t been many stars with his size, but every player is different. Who could have imagined Isaiah Thomas would be in the running for MVP? It’s kind of ridiculous saying he doesn’t have a chance to be really good just because of his wingspan. If he can ball, he can ball. Ball don’t lie.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#115 » by Alatan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 4:28 pm

Trae Young has some very nice qualities and has some things that worry me.

Nice qualities: Nice handles, pg skills, creative, shooting touch, fast release.

Things that worry me:

His athleticism is average for a NBA guard. Lack of elite burst, speed and below the rim player. This impacts his ability to create separation, penetrate the defense and finish at the rim. He has trouble with all 3 at the college level. Not a good sign.

His shot form has a low release point and a flatish trajectory. Low release point on a smallish guard that struggles to get separation is not a good combination. Is that why he tries so many long 3s? In the NBA those become Curry land 3s... Flater shot means that the margin for error is much smaller when shooting from bigger distances.

He avoids mid range jumpers. Dont know why.

Shot selection is bad. Could be that he is young, inexperienced and wants to establish himself as a star prospect. Could be that he is a low IQ chucker. Time will tell.

Dont expect much on the defensive end from him due to his size and athletic limitations.

If he tweaks his shot to get a higher release with a better arc he might become an elite shooter. That would cover for his lack of burst because defenders will have to guard him close and jump at fakes. He could become a creative finisher around the rim to mitigate his lack of athleticism. Chucking might be phased out.

If he fixes his weaknesses he might become a Curry type player. If he doesn't he might bust.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#116 » by Justwar » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:19 pm

Somewhere between a worse defending patty mills as suggested or mark price if high side. Not curry because curry has better length height speed

In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#117 » by In2ition » Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:58 pm

Fischella wrote:Also against UT San Antonio and from this game their defense is unreal bad, like so static and slow reacting to movement, they looked like the Phoenix Suns :lol:

Throwing shade on the Suns when your team is 2 games worse after the Suns looked like @$$ in their first 3 games? The Phoenix Suns and their lack of defense are an easy target. It's a dagger to the heart of their fans.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by doordoor123 » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:19 am

Alatan wrote:Trae Young has some very nice qualities and has some things that worry me.

Nice qualities: Nice handles, pg skills, creative, shooting touch, fast release.

Things that worry me:

His athleticism is average for a NBA guard. Lack of elite burst, speed and below the rim player. This impacts his ability to create separation, penetrate the defense and finish at the rim. He has trouble with all 3 at the college level. Not a good sign.

His shot form has a low release point and a flatish trajectory. Low release point on a smallish guard that struggles to get separation is not a good combination. Is that why he tries so many long 3s? In the NBA those become Curry land 3s... Flater shot means that the margin for error is much smaller when shooting from bigger distances.

He avoids mid range jumpers. Dont know why.

Shot selection is bad. Could be that he is young, inexperienced and wants to establish himself as a star prospect. Could be that he is a low IQ chucker. Time will tell.

Dont expect much on the defensive end from him due to his size and athletic limitations.

If he tweaks his shot to get a higher release with a better arc he might become an elite shooter. That would cover for his lack of burst because defenders will have to guard him close and jump at fakes. He could become a creative finisher around the rim to mitigate his lack of athleticism. Chucking might be phased out.

If he fixes his weaknesses he might become a Curry type player. If he doesn't he might bust.

His athleticism is above average for a guard. He’s quicker than most back up point guards in the NBA and has like 5 speeds so at times he doesn’t always look as quick, because he has pace (something a lot of rookies usually don’t learn till like 5 years in the NBA and something that Donovan Mitchell had last year when everyone was calling him slow). If you watch his games you can literally see how much separation he gets. He gets a **** ton. Sometimes he even messes with defenders because he gets so much space. He gets as much space as Isaiah Thomas gets. And he actually has great burst/height around the rim, just doesn’t finish well.

I’m sorry, but I’m not convinced you’ve seen him play much. Everything you’re saying is contrary to what he is as a player.

I’m not saying he’s a star, but he’s really good.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#119 » by Justwar » Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:45 am

I think your watching a terrible pg crop and just settling he'll be better than most. I think it's ridiculous to suggest he's a better athlete than Thomas and they have the same length with Thomas having a much higher vertical. Would you draft patty mills early first round?

blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#120 » by blazeyo » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:22 am

Justwar wrote:I think your watching a terrible pg crop and just settling he'll be better than most. I think it's ridiculous to suggest he's a better athlete than Thomas and they have the same length with Thomas having a much higher vertical. Would you draft patty mills early first round?

Isaiah Thomas and Trae Young have the same length? Young is 6'2 and Isaiah is 5'9... sure IT has longer wingspan to height ratio, but he still isn't longer.

Patty Mills was a much inferior college player and it's not even close. a sub .530TS% player in a much weaker conference, Young is a much better 3pt shooter, better passer, better dribbler and a better defender.

Are you comparing Trae Young to the current Patty Mills? cause if so, then it's disingenious. Young is one the best freshman pgs I have ever seen at this level and his stats back it up.

Return to NBA Draft