LOL.
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Trae Young 

Post#1122 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 4, 2018 7:45 pm

He is a true boom or bust prospect. I still think I would take him to be a star before I would a player like Bagley, and to potentially be pulling up from everywhere and a great passer. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's in China in a few years. Seems like a risk he could be an egotistical chucker
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#1123 » by shakes0 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 7:56 pm

Started to look really good in the second half of the SAS game. Great passing as well as some really nice finishes in the lane and at the rim.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#1124 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 10:05 pm

May take most of a season for him to adjust to the speed, length and athleticism of NBA defenders.

Then maybe a season or two to work with a strength and conditioning programs as well as honing the kind of moves and releases he can be most successful with.

Curry didn't show consistency with his shooting until the second half of his rookie season and then of course, he had to get over his foot injuries before he optimized and improved his strength and agility over a few seasons of the strength and conditioning programs.

For instance, he improved his core strength around when he was 26 and that enabled him to hit consistently from 30 feet out and longer.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#1125 » by J_T » Wed Jul 4, 2018 11:28 pm

He's gonna have to work hard to reach this guy's level:

But I think he might just do it, I believe in him.

CBA Regular Season International MVP Award
2012–13 Stephon Marbury
2013–14 Lester Hudson
2014–15 Lester Hudson
2015–16 Michael Beasley
2016–17 Jimmer Fredette
2017–18 Courtney Fortson
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1126 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 4, 2018 11:38 pm

DrazenReznik wrote:Has a draft promise from the Cavs at 8

thank God that didn't happen if it was true... Sexton > Young
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,277

Post#1127 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Jul 5, 2018 12:20 am

Why we talking about Trae as the next Steph when Triple J the one dropping 8 threes on his head?!
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#1128 » by MalonesElbows » Thu Jul 5, 2018 12:59 am

I was a seller on Young from the start if you've been following the thread. So far he is following the script closely to what I expected. He is a player I see having trouble adjusting to a smaller role. He needs a coach to tear him down from scratch and slowly build him back up again like a private in an army. Lose the ego, lose the entitlement attitude.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#1129 » by nybluemeadow » Thu Jul 5, 2018 4:42 am

Just a quick FYI to everybody... Step Curry had a disappointing Summer League and low shooting percentag and Anthony Randolph was the summer league MVP in 2009. Jodie Meeks had better scoring and shooting numbers than Curry in Summer League.
J_T
Veteran

Post#1130 » by J_T » Thu Jul 5, 2018 9:12 am

nybluemeadow wrote:Just a quick FYI to everybody... Step Curry had a disappointing Summer League and low shooting percentag and Anthony Randolph was the summer league MVP in 2009. Jodie Meeks had better scoring and shooting numbers than Curry in Summer League.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes that the skepticism is based only on these 2 SL games. The guy dropped 3P% by 10 points and 2P% by 5 point in second half of the season. One has to decide which Trae Young is the real one, the one from the first half of the season or the one from the second. I'm pretty sure that Young will have few really good SL games and it's not going to change my opinion. I mean the guy has green light to do whatever he likes, shooting all the time, he will connect sooner or later. Also he is really good at stat padding when the game had already been decided and the opponents are taking it easy so his final SL stats might not look terrible at all.

Also, the argument that's being widely used is how player A used to have bad SL numbers (and then turned out to be a star) or player B used to have great SL (and turned out to be a bust). That's all fine and great if some kind of probability distribution was taken into an account. You can find exceptions but that doesn't mean that those exceptions should be used to predict Trae's progress trajectory. Or better said one could say that all progress trajectories are still possible (which is true) but that it's less likely that he turns into a superstar. Grasping for any nonsensical Curry similarities won't help. Trae Young is NOT Steph Curry. I'm not sure why this is hard to accept. BTW I remember reading in the Draft forum, that he will actually be BETTER than Curry. So there you go. Curry+.

Bottom line - it's fine to be optimistic, but listing Curry's stats as a proof that he is on Curry's progress trajectory is intellectually dishonest. Even more so is listing busts with great SL stats.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1131 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 5, 2018 7:01 pm

King Ken wrote:
Truebiscuit wrote:Curious what Magic/Hawks fans are thinking about this kid... does he go top 6?

Boom or bust. Dynamic talent. Will take time. Could be franchise changer. Clearly will need some time to develop. Risky at 3 like Bamba but it's not terrible like taking JJJ at 3.

eat much crow lately?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#1132 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 8:00 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Truebiscuit wrote:Curious what Magic/Hawks fans are thinking about this kid... does he go top 6?

Boom or bust. Dynamic talent. Will take time. Could be franchise changer. Clearly will need some time to develop. Risky at 3 like Bamba but it's not terrible like taking JJJ at 3.

eat much crow lately?

Not a Young fan, but really asking if someone is eating crow after 2 SL games? Curry who was older than Trae Young finished SL shooting 32% and 21 assists to 18 TOVs. It's SL.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1133 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 5, 2018 8:49 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:

eat much crow lately?

What and why should I eat crow? He's been what I expected. Better in some areas, worse in some others.

This SL isn't changing my perspective of him.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1134 » by King Ken » Thu Jul 5, 2018 8:53 pm

J_T wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:Just a quick FYI to everybody... Step Curry had a disappointing Summer League and low shooting percentag and Anthony Randolph was the summer league MVP in 2009. Jodie Meeks had better scoring and shooting numbers than Curry in Summer League.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes that the skepticism is based only on these 2 SL games. The guy dropped 3P% by 10 points and 2P% by 5 point in second half of the season. One has to decide which Trae Young is the real one, the one from the first half of the season or the one from the second. I'm pretty sure that Young will have few really good SL games and it's not going to change my opinion. I mean the guy has green light to do whatever he likes, shooting all the time, he will connect sooner or later. Also he is really good at stat padding when the game had already been decided and the opponents are taking it easy so his final SL stats might not look terrible at all.

Also, the argument that's being widely used is how player A used to have bad SL numbers (and then turned out to be a star) or player B used to have great SL (and turned out to be a bust). That's all fine and great if some kind of probability distribution was taken into an account. You can find exceptions but that doesn't mean that those exceptions should be used to predict Trae's progress trajectory. Or better said one could say that all progress trajectories are still possible (which is true) but that it's less likely that he turns into a superstar. Grasping for any nonsensical Curry similarities won't help. Trae Young is NOT Steph Curry. I'm not sure why this is hard to accept. BTW I remember reading in the Draft forum, that he will actually be BETTER than Curry. So there you go. Curry+.

Bottom line - it's fine to be optimistic, but listing Curry's stats as a proof that he is on Curry's progress trajectory is intellectually dishonest. Even more so is listing busts with great SL stats.

Trae like Doncic, will get mixed reactions for those who like him and those who don't.

I like him and Doncic. So for me, nothing changes. I always been on the tip that he's raw but extremely talented. Even in the 2nd game. He had 20 potential assists that the guys simply blew. No one was making shots, not just Trae
J_T
Veteran

Post#1135 » by J_T » Thu Jul 5, 2018 9:16 pm

King Ken wrote:
J_T wrote:

Trae like Doncic, will get mixed reactions for those who like him and those who don't.

I like him and Doncic. So for me, nothing changes. I always been on the tip that he's raw but extremely talented. Even in the 2nd game. He had 20 potential assists that the guys simply blew. No one was making shots, not just Trae

By liking him, you mean liking him as a prospect, his style of play and what you think he is going to develop into? Unfortunately for Trae, he will be judged based on his high draft position. In my opinion he was drafted too high. I would have picked quite a few players in front of him, this is not just about his partner in trade. We will see he who is right and who is wrong. I feel no hate towards him, I simply think he had been overrated and he will be seen later down the road as a bad pick, relatively, compared to other top 10 players in this draft.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1136 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 5, 2018 11:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:Boom or bust. Dynamic talent. Will take time. Could be franchise changer. Clearly will need some time to develop. Risky at 3 like Bamba but it's not terrible like taking JJJ at 3.

eat much crow lately?

Not a Young fan, but really asking if someone is eating crow after 2 SL games? Curry who was older than Trae Young finished SL shooting 32% and 21 assists to 18 TOVs. It's SL.

:lol: Yeah I know , just couldn't resist given the comments he made regarding JJJ more than anything.
SL doesn't mean squat really regarding projections, but JJJ is outperforming expectations with his shooting and Young is severely under performing so something can certainly be said about that even if it doesn't prove anything different than what I already knew and he didn't.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1137 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 5, 2018 11:25 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:Boom or bust. Dynamic talent. Will take time. Could be franchise changer. Clearly will need some time to develop. Risky at 3 like Bamba but it's not terrible like taking JJJ at 3.

eat much crow lately?

What and why should I eat crow? He's been what I expected. Better in some areas, worse in some others.

This SL isn't changing my perspective of him.

OK man whatever
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#1138 » by RollingWave » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:54 am

Curry wasn't good in SL but there's still a difference between shooting 35% fg 3p vs 20%

It's not to say he can't possibly overcome, but certainly a concern
The river of time wash away all heroes
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#1139 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:13 am

Still some sign for concern, but probably the most meaningless thing in SL is whether your perimeter shots are falling, and in this case they weren't.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#1140 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:30 am

It's a continuation of the second half of his OU season.

Seems like when defenses paid attention and prepared for him to pull up from 30 and beyond, his shooting percentage went way down.

So he's going to find his shots are contested most of the time, by far more athletic, longer and smart defenders.

But he could improve his quickness and agility somewhat, or optimize what he has.

Return to NBA Draft