Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Trae Young 

Post#41 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:21 am

Kolkmania wrote:

The two main problems with him are his shooting mechanics and finishing abilities imo. His shot is too flat, when the ball reaches his set point the upward movement of his upper arm stops and all the momentum is from the wrist and elbow extension. What I would love to see is a more one-motion shot and continue his upward movement of the upper arm and create a bigger arch. That way the target becomes much bigger. If he can do this I think there's a possibility he can become an elite shooter in the NBA.

Secondly, his finishing. He finishes his drives waaaay too early. He needs to extend his final step so he can get his defender in the air and create contact himself. When you extend that last step and bend through your knee you translate the horizontal momentum in the vertical direction, this gives him more time to adjust. Some of his finishes are very creative, lots of spin, can go under the basket, etc. Just need to slow down when he attacks the basket, in his head but also physically.

I need to see more from him on the defensive end, if he can be decent as a team defender in the NBA, with the occasional deflection and steal he has top 5 potential for me.

The shot looked better yesterday, put more arc into it, even in long ones, he jsut needs to elevate the release point but the way he goes from his handles to the pull-up is Damian/Steph-esque, if he elevates the motion, which is quick fluid and to me a one-motion shot, he should have enough arc, also he has an underdevelop upper body, if he adds strength he should be able to bomb those without trouble.

We agree overall, same with his finishes, I pointed that out from his first game, he times his drives wrongly, either starts too far, or tend to finish to early, and he doesn't have elite explosiveness out of one foot or the frame to hang in mid-air just yet, so needs to be closer to the basket, people that have watched him extensively in HS said that he is crafty around the rim but the thing is, he hasn't even been able to show that as much because he is too far always.

Like you said timing is the key, he is rushing a bit all the time, same with some of his shots, and esp noticeable on the drives.
He is always gonna have a hard time on D unless he can improve strength-wise, but the hands are for real, had some blocks and stels out of nowhere that were super impressive.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#42 » by doordoor123 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Fischella wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

The two main problems with him are his shooting mechanics and finishing abilities imo. His shot is too flat, when the ball reaches his set point the upward movement of his upper arm stops and all the momentum is from the wrist and elbow extension. What I would love to see is a more one-motion shot and continue his upward movement of the upper arm and create a bigger arch. That way the target becomes much bigger. If he can do this I think there's a possibility he can become an elite shooter in the NBA.

Secondly, his finishing. He finishes his drives waaaay too early. He needs to extend his final step so he can get his defender in the air and create contact himself. When you extend that last step and bend through your knee you translate the horizontal momentum in the vertical direction, this gives him more time to adjust. Some of his finishes are very creative, lots of spin, can go under the basket, etc. Just need to slow down when he attacks the basket, in his head but also physically.

I need to see more from him on the defensive end, if he can be decent as a team defender in the NBA, with the occasional deflection and steal he has top 5 potential for me.

The shot looked better yesterday, put more arc into it, even in long ones, he jsut needs to elevate the release point but the way he goes from his handles to the pull-up is Damian/Steph-esque, if he elevates the motion, which is quick fluid and to me a one-motion shot, he should have enough arc, also he has an underdevelop upper body, if he adds strength he should be able to bomb those without trouble.

We agree overall, same with his finishes, I pointed that out from his first game, he times his drives wrongly, either starts too far, or tend to finish to early, and he doesn't have elite explosiveness out of one foot or the frame to hang in mid-air just yet, so needs to be closer to the basket, people that have watched him extensively in HS said that he is crafty around the rim but the thing is, he hasn't even been able to show that as much because he is too far always.

Like you said timing is the key, he is rushing a bit all the time, same with some of his shots, and esp noticeable on the drives.
He is always gonna have a hard time on D unless he can improve strength-wise, but the hands are for real, had some blocks and stels out of nowhere that were super impressive.

Just watched the game, I’m officially on the Trae Young bandwagon. He’s better than Duval. He won’t have an issue finishing since he’s so creative, he’s going to be a great P&R player because he can put guys on his back and I love that he can also play off ball. I really love what he does when he gets doubled too. He’s super smart and has a great feel for the game. And he’s only going to be better in the NBA with more space. Sometimes he makes questionable decisions, but that’ll get ironed out.
I also didn’t realize how jolty he is.
I could see how you would put him in the top 10.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#43 » by blazeyo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 pm

I love Trae Young, but I can't pick him with top 10 no matter how good he looks. Dunno why, it's scary.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#44 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:10 pm

blazeyo wrote:I love Trae Young, but I can't pick him with top 10 no matter how good he looks. Dunno why, it's scary.

I understand his floor is just that low, he is gonna be more susceptible to injuries or frail if you wish and he needs his skills to be legit against NBA competition and that's difficult to gauge, I just think he has a great offensive package for a Guard.
blazeyo
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by blazeyo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Fischella wrote:
blazeyo wrote:I love Trae Young, but I can't pick him with top 10 no matter how good he looks. Dunno why, it's scary.

I understand his floor is just that low, he is gonna be more susceptible to injuries or frail if you wish and he needs his skills to be legit against NBA competition and that's difficult to gauge, I just think he has a great offensive package for a Guard.

He can either be a superstar or a total bust at the next level. I just can't gauge how good he is going to be no matter how good he looks. His skills look like they are translatable and yet I can't.

I have no idea about his character and how smart he is. He is one of those guys that i'm going to have to wait till the combine and interviews to really rank him.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#46 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Yeah I understand, I do think he can be as good as Kemba is now for example, but the ups and downs with him might be severe.

I get the reasoning, he wont go that high so for a team with 2 1sts I'd feel pretty good about betting on him with a pick in the late teens or early 20s, I don't think he cracks the lotto, even though I'd have him ranked there most likely
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,091

Post#47 » by The-Power » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:29 pm

He struggles with shot selection, on-ball tendencies and poor body language at times. Good thing is that these issues are all mental and can be corrected (even though there's no guarantee that he will successfully address them at some point).

Other than that, I love his skill set. There are some questions about how it translates, granted, but if he embraces off-ball movement and learns when to look for his shot and when not I feel good about his ability to make an impact at the next level – whatever role this might be. He has severe ups and downs at this point but I expect him to become a bit more steady as the season goes on (although he'll probably continue to be prone to have ups and downs during games and from game to game).

Arguably the most intriguing lead guard prospect in this year. Not sold on Duval at all due to his complete lack of a jumpshot (other than that I really like him, but this matters a great deal) and Bruce Bown is not a lead guard in the NBA at all. This leaves Sexton who might or might not be considered a more intriguing prospect than Young – I can see the argument on both sides – and a couple of PGs who might improve their stock dramatically over the course of the year. Obviously if you count Doncic as a lead guard then he's leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else here.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#48 » by GimmeDat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:34 am

I have to say, he looks like he played much better versus Portland here. Looked like he played the PG position better, moved it a bit more, made some nice setups. I'm fine with him taking confidence 3's and all, it's just the ball stopping that looks to get pretty bad on some possessions. He definitely has potential if he can play like this more often.

blazeyo
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by blazeyo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 am

I actually like the late lottery much more than the top 5. A lot of projects and bust potentials in this draft at the top and more nba-reaady players in the late lottery and mid 1st round.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#50 » by Upperclass » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:02 am

He plays alot like Jameson Curry.. who might be an NBA player were he in this generation. He just looks like he's fighting so hard mentally against his natural urges. Which still yield considerable results however.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#51 » by No-Man » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:16 pm

was funny to watch him at the beginning off the ball game making such a conscious effort to involve his teammates and restraining himself from taking pull-ups, then he went back at it.

he is a high level shot maker when it comes to off-catch jumpers, but the pull-up although quick and fluid isnt there yet, clearly bother and sped up when confront by length and he needs to elevate the release point to make it more viable.

I think he can get there with reps, his finishing around the rim, hey it's Portland and they don't have the athletes but nonetheless, was much better.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#52 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:24 pm

I am kind of glad I opened this :lol:

Damn man, he is just a monster

Sucks so bad on D though, but who cares, insanely fun to watch.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#53 » by Justwar » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Kinda like a jimmer fredette, less size more quickness

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#54 » by bulliedog8 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:37 am

43pts 7asts 4rebs in a win over Oregon today.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#55 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 am

He doesn't appear to be overly quick or fast to my eye. Have a hard time seeing him cut it in the NBA.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#56 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 am

I got caught in with Trey Burke a few years ago just too many smaller PGs who don't translate to NBA.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#57 » by treefi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:06 am

look like a lottery pick to me, so far..
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#58 » by treefi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:12 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:I got caught in with Trey Burke a few years ago just too many smaller PGs who don't translate to NBA.

Burke's freshman year: 14.8ppg, 3.5rpg, 4.6apg(2.9tpg), 0.9spg, 43.3 fg%, 34.7 3%, 36.1mpg
Young's freshman year: 24.5ppg, 4.3rpg, 9.0apg(3.5tpg), 2.3spg, 46.9 fg%, 39.4 3%, 29.8mpg
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#59 » by Old Man Game » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:36 am

Really nice handle. Next level body control and balance setting up the defender. Deep range shooter. Probably can't defend right away but his frame isn't horrible. He will fill out a bit eventually. Really intriguing prospect.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
grubs10
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#60 » by grubs10 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 am

Seems like he has a little mans complex where he tries to be flashier than he needs to be (takes way deeper threes than necessary, makes passes harder than they need to be) to show off. Hes getting away with it now but I think when everyone on the court is an nba caliber athlete I fail to see him being effective unless he simplifies things.

Return to NBA Draft