Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Re: Trae Young 

Post#801 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 pm

dred926 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I think Young is going to be a really great college PG, I just dont think his game translates to the NBA. No doubt he was the reason why Oklahoma was ranked that high, I dont know how anyone could argue that.

based on what? his turnovers when there is no other ball handler in his club? his passing when the receiving end is lesser talent.

Tyler ullis is 5'9 and has been successful in the NBA. Magic just traded elfriid payton for a second round pick. So we think highly of bagley and other prospects but Young gets disqualified despite having a better winning record than Fultz and Simmons. I'd give the pass to simmons that dude is one generational talent.

We cant say that Young will be ineffective because of taller guys when a guy like mike james and even barrea dominated the game, how can Trae Young not improve despite having better handles and passing ability than every other PG in college right now.

Based on his size/physical attributes/play style. I think he is going to have troubles dealing with the size and athleticism of the NBA, I also think he is playing style will translate to the NBA. Its not all that rare for guys to be really great against college opposition then fail to become stars on the NBA level, especially guys that lack ideal size and athleticism.

Now a few things, you say Ulis has been successful in the NBA and Mike James and Barea dominated the game. Mike James took 5 years to get to the NBA after leaving college and has played 36 games in his career and recently was just cut and now is playing in Greece, wouldnt call that dominating. Barea has started 94 games in his 9 seasons in the NBA, again hard to say he dominated the game. Tyler Ulis is a rotation player on arguably the worst team in the league. Also another thing to look at when comparing Young to players like this is play style. Young is a high USG guard, this isnt just because of his teammates lack of talent, he has always been a high USG guard. Compare that to Ulis who yes is smaller but is more explosive and was an elite defender in college and a very smart PG that rarely turned it over and played within an offense. So do I think Young can have a career like Ulis and Mike James? Ya. Im not taking those guys high in any draft ever though.

And whats the difference between guys like Fultz and Simmons? First of all I wasnt the highest on Fultz last year, but Fultz is a 6'5 guard with a 6'10 that was already very well built. Simmons is a 6'10 PG that is very athletic. Im not saying athleticism and size means everything, but the majority of the time it means something. Dont get why Bagley was brought up, but again a 6'10 forward with elite athleticism. Trae Young is a small PG that is having difficulties creating space on a consistent basis against college level opposition. Fultz and Simmons had 0 issue creating space for their shots in college.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#802 » by Tomjas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:51 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
dred926 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I think Young is going to be a really great college PG, I just dont think his game translates to the NBA. No doubt he was the reason why Oklahoma was ranked that high, I dont know how anyone could argue that.

based on what? his turnovers when there is no other ball handler in his club? his passing when the receiving end is lesser talent.

Tyler ullis is 5'9 and has been successful in the NBA. Magic just traded elfriid payton for a second round pick. So we think highly of bagley and other prospects but Young gets disqualified despite having a better winning record than Fultz and Simmons. I'd give the pass to simmons that dude is one generational talent.

We cant say that Young will be ineffective because of taller guys when a guy like mike james and even barrea dominated the game, how can Trae Young not improve despite having better handles and passing ability than every other PG in college right now.

Based on his size/physical attributes/play style. I think he is going to have troubles dealing with the size and athleticism of the NBA, I also think he is playing style will translate to the NBA. Its not all that rare for guys to be really great against college opposition then fail to become stars on the NBA level, especially guys that lack ideal size and athleticism.

Now a few things, you say Ulis has been successful in the NBA and Mike James and Barea dominated the game. Mike James took 5 years to get to the NBA after leaving college and has played 36 games in his career and recently was just cut and now is playing in Greece, wouldnt call that dominating. Barea has started 94 games in his 9 seasons in the NBA, again hard to say he dominated the game. Tyler Ulis is a rotation player on arguably the worst team in the league. Also another thing to look at when comparing Young to players like this is play style. Young is a high USG guard, this isnt just because of his teammates lack of talent, he has always been a high USG guard. Compare that to Ulis who yes is smaller but is more explosive and was an elite defender in college and a very smart PG that rarely turned it over and played within an offense. So do I think Young can have a career like Ulis and Mike James? Ya. Im not taking those guys high in any draft ever though.

And whats the difference between guys like Fultz and Simmons? First of all I wasnt the highest on Fultz last year, but Fultz is a 6'5 guard with a 6'10 that was already very well built. Simmons is a 6'10 PG that is very athletic. Im not saying athleticism and size means everything, but the majority of the time it means something. Dont get why Bagley was brought up, but again a 6'10 forward with elite athleticism. Trae Young is a small PG that is having difficulties creating space on a consistent basis against college level opposition. Fultz and Simmons had 0 issue creating space for their shots in college.

I'll happily admit that I'm no expert, have only been watching college ball since Simmons was at LSU and have probably only seen 25% of Young's games.

I'm not sure that "underwhelmed" is the right word as it's probably too harsh

It's probably a case of him being massively over-hyped IMO

When Simmons was at LSU, while he obviously had flaws (lack of jumper, drifted in & out, etc), he still looked to be a freak athlete with incredible vision/passing skills and the potential to be a NBA starter off the bat.

I don't get that feeling with Young

From what I've seen, he has LOTS of areas requiring improvement, doesn't have the elite athletic ability to compensate for other weaknesses and a team that took him high up (say top 5) really would be taking a punt as he wont suit every system in his current guise
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#803 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 am

Young has undeniable vision but everything was else was pretty lackluster today. Is his handle usually that loose?
gabeIQ
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#804 » by gabeIQ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50 am

Trae can’t play defense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,091

Post#805 » by The-Power » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Extremely disappointing reaction to the recent struggles. I expected him to play tougher defense and move off the ball more when he struggles to get going. Instead we see absolutely terrible defense and no off-ball movement unless the play is designed for him to get the ball. With this attitude he's going to be a bust.

It's a shame because he has the tools to be successful in a different role than the ‘I do everything on offense‘ one. Try not to be a complete liability on defense and make sure you distract defenses with off ball movement, and tone it down with the hero ball or sloppy play. But despite him sharing some of the ball handling duties a little more as of late, he didn't respond well by finding other ways to contribute.

Maybe @Duke4life831 is correct in that he has this kind of ‘chucker‘ mentality regardless of teammates and opponents. I'm certainly less positive on him being able to play differently in the NBA because he hasn't found another way to contribute despite him having the chance to do so more often in recent games. I hoped to see him off the ball a little more in order to see how he reacts and that I did – it just didn't help his stock at all.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#806 » by doordoor123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm

If Young doesn’t make it in the league it’s going to be a bad look for little guys everywhere. He’s so skilled, if he doesn’t make it with his lack of size teams are going to stop drafting kids like him. Just by looking at the NBA it’s hard to pick someone with his lack of size plus elite abilities so high. Isaiah Thomas is a prime example. He’s really good, but his lack of defense makes him a negative if he isn’t doing anything on offense. To put him out as a starter you need a really good defender next to him and you need to have a good defensive team around him. There aren’t a lot of teams able to support that. As much as I love Isaiah, I don’t think his career is very sustainable anymore as a starter just because of his size. And you’re going to see, no one is going to pay him what he wants and no one is going to want to make him a starter.

Really makes me think of Young. I just wonder if he can do more on defense. Because even the bare minimum would be okay. Damian Lillard isn’t a good defender, but he at least makes good reads from time to time and it makes all the difference.

A way Young might defy the odds of becoming a bench player is with his passing. IF he can make his teammates better when he’s on the floor with his passing it could give him more than enough reason to be a starter. But his passing has to be at a really high level for that to happen. He can do it in college, but if he can do it in the NBA, it makes him someone that has to be on the court.

I think if you believe in his passing can be elite, he’s a top pick. If you don’t, he might be a little lower.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#807 » by tundraknight » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think Young is going to be a really great college PG, I just dont think his game translates to the NBA. No doubt he was the reason why Oklahoma was ranked that high, I dont know how anyone could argue that.

That would be disappointing if what you say turns out to be true. NBAdraft.net has Trae Youngs player comparison as Stephen Curry.

Although I learned my lesson not to get to hyped about nbadraft.nets player comparisons.

I remember I was hyped about a player named Jimmer Fredette who’s player comparison is Mark Price!

He turned out to be a bust even though he seemed to have unlimited range and lead the nation in scoring.

Interestingly Jimmer is also listed as the same height as Trae Young.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#808 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 pm

The-Power wrote:Extremely disappointing reaction to the recent struggles. I expected him to play tougher defense and move off the ball more when he struggles to get going. Instead we see absolutely terrible defense and no off-ball movement unless the play is designed for him to get the ball. With this attitude he's going to be a bust.

It's a shame because he has the tools to be successful in a different role than the ‘I do everything on offense‘ one. Try not to be a complete liability on defense and make sure you distract defenses with off ball movement, and tone it down with the hero ball or sloppy play. But despite him sharing some of the ball handling duties a little more as of late, he didn't respond well by finding other ways to contribute.

Maybe @Duke4life831 is correct in that he has this kind of ‘chucker‘ mentality regardless of teammates and opponents. I'm certainly less positive on him being able to play differently in the NBA because he hasn't found another way to contribute despite him having the chance to do so more often in recent games. I hoped to see him off the ball a little more in order to see how he reacts and that I did – it just didn't help his stock at all.

I just don't think switching his play style would be as easy as others have said. This has been Young for his whole playing career. This is why I still continue to not buy into the, once he gets drafted he will just change his play style to a more aggressive Tyus Jones, great shot selection and smart passing. The dude is a Gunner, he wants to be a Curry, Lillard, Westbrook, Kyrie .... score first PG. The downfall to that though is he's not as gifted physically or has the size those guys have. This is why I also thought he would be great in college because I thought the size/athleticism wouldn't be an issue in college.

I also want to make it clear. I know I probably come off as the train conductor of the Trae Young hate train. I actually really enjoy watching the kid play, he has hit a rough patch for sure, but he's a Freshman playing in conference play, that tends to happen. I just don't think his game screams NBA is all. I think he's a really good college player, just limited physically and you begin to see that in conference play and you would really see that in the NBA is all.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,091

Post#809 » by The-Power » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I just don't think switching his play style would be as easy as others have said. This has been Young for his whole playing career. This is why I still continue to not buy into the, once he gets drafted he will just change his play style to a more aggressive Tyus Jones, great shot selection and smart passing. The dude is a Gunner, he wants to be a Curry, Lillard, Westbrook, Kyrie .... score first PG.

Gunner or not – you can be a score-first PG and still play passable defense and move off the ball, without forcing it too much. Curry is the prime example for that. And no, I'm not saying he is or will be anything close to Curry. But every score-first PG with range can try to emulate what Curry is doing on the court in terms of attitude, even if they can't replicate his effectiveness. This is simply a question of mentality and self-awareness, not physical deficiencies, and this is why I am disappointed.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#810 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 pm

The-Power wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I just don't think switching his play style would be as easy as others have said. This has been Young for his whole playing career. This is why I still continue to not buy into the, once he gets drafted he will just change his play style to a more aggressive Tyus Jones, great shot selection and smart passing. The dude is a Gunner, he wants to be a Curry, Lillard, Westbrook, Kyrie .... score first PG.

Gunner or not – you can be a score-first PG and still play passable defense and move off the ball, without forcing it too much. Curry is the prime example for that. And no, I'm not saying he is or will be anything close to Curry. But every score-first PG with range can try to emulate what Curry is doing on the court in terms of attitude, even if they can't replicate his effectiveness. This is simply a question of mentality and self-awareness, not physical deficiencies, and this is why I am disappointed.

Oh I agree 100%. This again has been one of my biggest issues with Young is Ive always thought there was a lack of versatility to his game, partly because of physical limitations and because of his play style. If he showed any semblance of being able to play off the ball and had a better shot IQ, I would be all for PHX taking him. Booker has showed this year he can do a solid job facilitating, I still think Josh Jackson will be a solid facilitator as a forward in his career. I think there couldve been a possibility for a really good fit there.

But I think his playing style limits his versatility on offense. He has had the ball in his hands his entire playing career basically and it seems like whenever he doesnt have the ball in his hands he just loses interest and his impact falls off a cliff. Then I think his physical limitations will limit his ability and versatility as a high USG player in the NBA.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#811 » by Justwar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 pm

His foul shooting translates, his 3pt shooting might not like people suggest. He has a low release point that became lonzo balls problem. People thought he would be a better shooter but without a high enough release or immense space, he'll struggle some. Yes people discuss assists. Assists don't mean you're a good passer, making sure the ball moves does. Then being able to take someone off the dribble matters late in the clock. Do other talented players want to play with you is another thing. Watching his recruitment process it seemed behind the scenes that elite players didn't want to play with him. It was discussed that he was selfish stat first.

I don't see the size/length to defend really good nba pgs. Maybe I'm wrong, just his measurables unless they are vastly wrong don't align with nba starting pgs.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#812 » by tundraknight » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm

I just hope he doesn’t become Jimmer Fredette 2.0

I’m tired of seeing hyped up players bust.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#813 » by Justwar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Big college scorers often are just that.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#814 » by MalonesElbows » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 am

Trae Young continues to fizzle out against tougher competition. Last game the turnovers were 5 again and we won't talk about that scoring efficiency. His team has lost 6 games in a row with him as the primary option. I more or less predicted this would happen a month ago in this thread, few listened. Instead they took a 15 game sample size and decided he was the next Steph Curry. He'll be much closer to Trey Burke than Steph Curry in the NBA.

Look, even Jimmer becomes awesome again against low level competition.

Trey Burke back to 40 point games against lesser competition, maybe he''s a late developing Curry...

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#815 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:54 am

Exactly why the comparisons to Steph were laughable. He's much more than a dribbler and shooter. Arguably the greatest off-ball player we've ever seen. Just shooting from 30 feet out isn't going to turn you into The Chef.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#816 » by jg77 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm

clyde21 wrote:Exactly why the comparisons to Steph were laughable. He's much more than a dribbler and shooter. Arguably the greatest off-ball player we've ever seen. Just shooting from 30 feet out isn't going to turn you into The Chef.

How does he compare to Stephen Curry the freshman though? It's unfair to compare Young to Curry the junior and especially Curry the NBA player.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#817 » by blazeyo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:21 pm

jg77 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Exactly why the comparisons to Steph were laughable. He's much more than a dribbler and shooter. Arguably the greatest off-ball player we've ever seen. Just shooting from 30 feet out isn't going to turn you into The Chef.

How does he compare to Stephen Curry the freshman though? It's unfair to compare Young to Curry the junior and especially Curry the NBA player.

Trae Young is by far the better player than Curry as a freshman... not really close.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#818 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

jg77 wrote:

He doesn't really compare as a prospect. How productive he is in college isn't really relevant.

Expecting him to develop into the off-ball player and finisher that Curry eventually became is asking too much. Are those odds you want to take in the top 10?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,253

Post#819 » by mademan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:35 pm

I see him dropping to like 7 or even 8. There's always some guy who impresses in the combine and some team reaches for him. I call Knox. Reminds me of Tatum
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#820 » by jg77 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm

clyde21 wrote:
jg77 wrote:

He doesn't really compare as a prospect. How productive he is in college isn't really relevant.

Expecting him to develop into the off-ball player and finisher that Curry eventually became is asking too much. Are those odds you want to take in the top 10?

With how important shooting is in today's NBA I would. If I'm Phoenix then I'd definitely be intrigued in pairing Young with Booker.

Return to NBA Draft