Collin Sexton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#41 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

Kinda reminds me of a worse shooting Jerryd Bayless.

Sexton is longer and a more skilled ballhandler, but not as vertically explosive.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#42 » by PLO » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Despite the lack of good numbers from both I thought the comparison between Sexton and SGA today was an interesting one. SGA seems like a natural creator for others, like sees a pass ahead, Sexton just doesn't see open teammates at times. I'm not sure of SGA's ability to get past his man one on one at the next level but there's no doubt he'll be a good defender. Sexton definitely has that ability to get past his man but his lack of general nous really worries me if he's being drafted to be a self-creator at the next level. If he's taken top 10 I think that's a reach just on ability, though I guess some teams will want guards with his attributes given there's a lack of them in this draft.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#43 » by kb02 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 am

Pat Beverly 2.0.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#44 » by The-Power » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 am

kb02 wrote:Pat Beverly 2.0.

Don't see it except that they are both a bit crazy on the court.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#45 » by doordoor123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am

I’m still a huge fan of Sexton. Think he’ll have more success in the NBA.
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#46 » by bootsythornton » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:01 am

Didn't love him today vs. Kentucky. Fox was a substantially better prospect. Sexton is a mid 1st in most years. Probably a borderline starter
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#47 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 am

Sexton is shooting around 43.6% at the rim per synergy. That is pretty concerning especially since he doesn't have a reliable jumper either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/7x2l4e/ncaa_guard_prospects_attacking_the_rim/
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#48 » by GimmeDat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

I think he's going to continue to drop, end up late lottery. Love his hard-nosed play but he's got a lot of holes in his game.

I was excited for him this season and frankly I've been really disappointed.
delfam
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#49 » by delfam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Seems like the prototypical sixth man who comes off the bench and gives you energy and some points.

A quality 6th man seems worthy of a late lottery pick IMO as most guys with high ceilings are gone at that point.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,186

Post#50 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

I love Sexton. See a lot of Oladipo in him. Agreed that he'll be better in the pros...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I think he's going to continue to drop, end up late lottery. Love his hard-nosed play but he's got a lot of holes in his game.

I was excited for him this season and frankly I've been really disappointed.

Yeah, it’s weird for me for him. Obviously he can be good and he has moments where he can take over a game (like the 3v5 game). It’s just not consistent. To me those flashes are usually really important when evaluating players because if he can take over a game a couple times, I really think he will eventually be able to replicate that on a larger scale. I always make the comparison to Zach LaVine, but other players also fit into guys who have had flashes. Zach LaVine was what? 13 or 14 overall? I think Sexton is the same type of prospect in terms of how much he needs to develop and the type of level player he can become. I can easily see the case for Sexton to get drafted around there.

I had him higher earlier because I stopped following his stats and just have been watching him play. Recently got back into following stats better.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#52 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:29 am

He's been on a tear lately but I still don't see him as a blue chipper. Has solid size, athleticism, and a decent skill base but none of that looks to be above average in the NBA, and combining that with a non-terrific shot doesn't leave much. Tough player who should make a rotation some day, but it's hard for me to see much more upside than that. If he develops perfectly he could be a starter, but that's no high praise.

^I have no idea where you'd get a comparison with Lavine there. Lavine had insane upside, truly elite hops with a ridiculous and unguardable first step and sky was the limit if he developed. Sexton has a decent first step and average hops for a prospect and nothing else suggesting big upside, can't see what he'd develop that would make him a star.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:02 am

Jrue Holiday
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#54 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 am

HotelVitale wrote:He's been on a tear lately but I still don't see him as a blue chipper. Has solid size, athleticism, and a decent skill base but none of that looks to be above average in the NBA, and combining that with a non-terrific shot doesn't leave much. Tough player who should make a rotation some day, but it's hard for me to see much more upside than that. If he develops perfectly he could be a starter, but that's no high praise.

^I have no idea where you'd get a comparison with Lavine there. Lavine had insane upside, truly elite hops with a ridiculous and unguardable first step and sky was the limit if he developed. Sexton has a decent first step and average hops for a prospect and nothing else suggesting big upside, can't see what he'd develop that would make him a star.

And LaVine still sucks.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#55 » by GimmeDat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 am

One tiny thing about Sexton.. for all the talk about his athleticism, and I've seen those that are super high on him talk Westbrook-esque, I don't think I saw more than a couple of dunks from him all season. There's some similarities as a floor athlete but I don't see that explosive verticality at all, at least not in a functional sense.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:40 am

GimmeDat wrote:One tiny thing about Sexton.. for all the talk about his athleticism, and I've seen those that are super high on him talk Westbrook-esque, I don't think I saw more than a couple of dunks from him all season. There's some similarities as a floor athlete but I don't see that explosive verticality at all, at least not in a functional sense.

I think he is. And while I don’t agree with the Westbrook comparisons, he does have one thing in common with Westbrook and probably Ben Simmons, he always runs downhill. It’s like a running back. Ive see him chase down block guys all the time so I definitely think it’s functional. I like Jrue Holiday as a comparison. Jrue had a similar body type with similar athleticism/size and Jrue also couldn’t really shoot. And as you said, Jrue was also a guy that didn’t dunk a lot early in his career, but he constantly finished with contact, something I think Sexton will be able to do.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,645

Post#57 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am

GimmeDat wrote:One tiny thing about Sexton.. for all the talk about his athleticism, and I've seen those that are super high on him talk Westbrook-esque, I don't think I saw more than a couple of dunks from him all season. There's some similarities as a floor athlete but I don't see that explosive verticality at all, at least not in a functional sense.

Ya if you're expecting Westbrook type athleticism you're going to be disappointed. He's a good athlete that plays with a tremendous fire though. I agree with the Holiday comparisons especially the athleticism comparisons. Holiday is a good athlete but not a freak athlete by any means. Every once in awhile he will throw down a nice dunk (like tonight), but he's not a guy that his athleticism allows him to play above the rim consistently.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,885

Post#58 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:36 am

Sexton's ability to get into the paint is impressive. He has an excellent first step, but he moves really well and with purpose. Athleticism doesn't always mean guards dunking on bigs.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#59 » by GimmeDat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Sexton's ability to get into the paint is impressive. He has an excellent first step, but he moves really well and with purpose. Athleticism doesn't always mean guards dunking on bigs.

For sure, just commenting on that specific athletic element. Two things he definitely has is strength and quickness with the ball in his hands.
doordoor123 wrote:
I think he is. And while I don’t agree with the Westbrook comparisons, he does have one thing in common with Westbrook and probably Ben Simmons, he always runs downhill. It’s like a running back. Ive see him chase down block guys all the time so I definitely think it’s functional. I like Jrue Holiday as a comparison. Jrue had a similar body type with similar athleticism/size and Jrue also couldn’t really shoot. And as you said, Jrue was also a guy that didn’t dunk a lot early in his career, but he constantly finished with contact, something I think Sexton will be able to do.

Completely agree, he's really imposing in space with the ball in his hands. Jrue's a good physical comparison especially due to the strength aspect.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#60 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Jrue is massive in comparison, and relies less on quickness, much better shooting, even if his UCLA numbers weren't great, but the form, smoothness, all was there

Return to NBA Draft