Collin Sexton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
Posts: 779
And1: 184
Joined: Jul 19, 2008
Location: Just South of Rip City

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#41 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

Kinda reminds me of a worse shooting Jerryd Bayless.

Sexton is longer and a more skilled ballhandler, but not as vertically explosive.
PLO
Veteran
Posts: 2,919
And1: 1,217
Joined: Aug 04, 2016
     

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#42 » by PLO » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Despite the lack of good numbers from both I thought the comparison between Sexton and SGA today was an interesting one. SGA seems like a natural creator for others, like sees a pass ahead, Sexton just doesn't see open teammates at times. I'm not sure of SGA's ability to get past his man one on one at the next level but there's no doubt he'll be a good defender. Sexton definitely has that ability to get past his man but his lack of general nous really worries me if he's being drafted to be a self-creator at the next level. If he's taken top 10 I think that's a reach just on ability, though I guess some teams will want guards with his attributes given there's a lack of them in this draft.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.
kb02
Senior
Posts: 522
And1: 280
Joined: Jun 06, 2017
 

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#43 » by kb02 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 am

Pat Beverly 2.0.
User avatar
The-Power
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,665
And1: 4,685
Joined: Jan 03, 2014
Location: Germany
   

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#44 » by The-Power » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:13 am

kb02 wrote:Pat Beverly 2.0.

Don't see it except that they are both a bit crazy on the court.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#45 » by doordoor123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:00 am

I’m still a huge fan of Sexton. Think he’ll have more success in the NBA.
sportsyard
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,475
And1: 1,616
Joined: Feb 06, 2018

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#46 » by sportsyard » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:01 am

Didn't love him today vs. Kentucky. Fox was a substantially better prospect. Sexton is a mid 1st in most years. Probably a borderline starter
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,867
And1: 7,107
Joined: Apr 04, 2017
 

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#47 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 am

Sexton is shooting around 43.6% at the rim per synergy. That is pretty concerning especially since he doesn't have a reliable jumper either.



https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/7x2l4e/ncaa_guard_prospects_attacking_the_rim/
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#48 » by GimmeDat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

I think he's going to continue to drop, end up late lottery. Love his hard-nosed play but he's got a lot of holes in his game.

I was excited for him this season and frankly I've been really disappointed.
delfam
Freshman
Posts: 68
And1: 14
Joined: Oct 20, 2010

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#49 » by delfam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Seems like the prototypical sixth man who comes off the bench and gives you energy and some points.

A quality 6th man seems worthy of a late lottery pick IMO as most guys with high ceilings are gone at that point.
_txchilibowl_
Senior
Posts: 586
And1: 377
Joined: Aug 17, 2017
     

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#50 » by _txchilibowl_ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 pm

I love Sexton. See a lot of Oladipo in him. Agreed that he'll be better in the pros...
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I think he's going to continue to drop, end up late lottery. Love his hard-nosed play but he's got a lot of holes in his game.

I was excited for him this season and frankly I've been really disappointed.


Yeah, it’s weird for me for him. Obviously he can be good and he has moments where he can take over a game (like the 3v5 game). It’s just not consistent. To me those flashes are usually really important when evaluating players because if he can take over a game a couple times, I really think he will eventually be able to replicate that on a larger scale. I always make the comparison to Zach LaVine, but other players also fit into guys who have had flashes. Zach LaVine was what? 13 or 14 overall? I think Sexton is the same type of prospect in terms of how much he needs to develop and the type of level player he can become. I can easily see the case for Sexton to get drafted around there.

I had him higher earlier because I stopped following his stats and just have been watching him play. Recently got back into following stats better.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 7,979
And1: 3,973
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#52 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:29 am

He's been on a tear lately but I still don't see him as a blue chipper. Has solid size, athleticism, and a decent skill base but none of that looks to be above average in the NBA, and combining that with a non-terrific shot doesn't leave much. Tough player who should make a rotation some day, but it's hard for me to see much more upside than that. If he develops perfectly he could be a starter, but that's no high praise.

^I have no idea where you'd get a comparison with Lavine there. Lavine had insane upside, truly elite hops with a ridiculous and unguardable first step and sky was the limit if he developed. Sexton has a decent first step and average hops for a prospect and nothing else suggesting big upside, can't see what he'd develop that would make him a star.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#53 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:02 am

Jrue Holiday
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,264
And1: 1,229
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#54 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 am

HotelVitale wrote:He's been on a tear lately but I still don't see him as a blue chipper. Has solid size, athleticism, and a decent skill base but none of that looks to be above average in the NBA, and combining that with a non-terrific shot doesn't leave much. Tough player who should make a rotation some day, but it's hard for me to see much more upside than that. If he develops perfectly he could be a starter, but that's no high praise.

^I have no idea where you'd get a comparison with Lavine there. Lavine had insane upside, truly elite hops with a ridiculous and unguardable first step and sky was the limit if he developed. Sexton has a decent first step and average hops for a prospect and nothing else suggesting big upside, can't see what he'd develop that would make him a star.


And LaVine still sucks.
Catapolt.co
Make polls great again.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#55 » by GimmeDat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 am

One tiny thing about Sexton.. for all the talk about his athleticism, and I've seen those that are super high on him talk Westbrook-esque, I don't think I saw more than a couple of dunks from him all season. There's some similarities as a floor athlete but I don't see that explosive verticality at all, at least not in a functional sense.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,339
And1: 1,063
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#56 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:40 am

GimmeDat wrote:One tiny thing about Sexton.. for all the talk about his athleticism, and I've seen those that are super high on him talk Westbrook-esque, I don't think I saw more than a couple of dunks from him all season. There's some similarities as a floor athlete but I don't see that explosive verticality at all, at least not in a functional sense.


I think he is. And while I don’t agree with the Westbrook comparisons, he does have one thing in common with Westbrook and probably Ben Simmons, he always runs downhill. It’s like a running back. Ive see him chase down block guys all the time so I definitely think it’s functional. I like Jrue Holiday as a comparison. Jrue had a similar body type with similar athleticism/size and Jrue also couldn’t really shoot. And as you said, Jrue was also a guy that didn’t dunk a lot early in his career, but he constantly finished with contact, something I think Sexton will be able to do.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,989
And1: 26,185
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#57 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am

GimmeDat wrote:One tiny thing about Sexton.. for all the talk about his athleticism, and I've seen those that are super high on him talk Westbrook-esque, I don't think I saw more than a couple of dunks from him all season. There's some similarities as a floor athlete but I don't see that explosive verticality at all, at least not in a functional sense.


Ya if you're expecting Westbrook type athleticism you're going to be disappointed. He's a good athlete that plays with a tremendous fire though. I agree with the Holiday comparisons especially the athleticism comparisons. Holiday is a good athlete but not a freak athlete by any means. Every once in awhile he will throw down a nice dunk (like tonight), but he's not a guy that his athleticism allows him to play above the rim consistently.
User avatar
Chuck Everett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,886
And1: 4,065
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#58 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:36 am

Sexton's ability to get into the paint is impressive. He has an excellent first step, but he moves really well and with purpose. Athleticism doesn't always mean guards dunking on bigs.
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,056
And1: 15,751
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#59 » by GimmeDat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Sexton's ability to get into the paint is impressive. He has an excellent first step, but he moves really well and with purpose. Athleticism doesn't always mean guards dunking on bigs.


For sure, just commenting on that specific athletic element. Two things he definitely has is strength and quickness with the ball in his hands.
doordoor123 wrote:
I think he is. And while I don’t agree with the Westbrook comparisons, he does have one thing in common with Westbrook and probably Ben Simmons, he always runs downhill. It’s like a running back. Ive see him chase down block guys all the time so I definitely think it’s functional. I like Jrue Holiday as a comparison. Jrue had a similar body type with similar athleticism/size and Jrue also couldn’t really shoot. And as you said, Jrue was also a guy that didn’t dunk a lot early in his career, but he constantly finished with contact, something I think Sexton will be able to do.


Completely agree, he's really imposing in space with the ball in his hands. Jrue's a good physical comparison especially due to the strength aspect.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,463
And1: 2,954
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Collin Sexton 

Post#60 » by Fischella » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Jrue is massive in comparison, and relies less on quickness, much better shooting, even if his UCLA numbers weren't great, but the form, smoothness, all was there

Return to NBA Draft