Rui Hachimura

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Rui Hachimura 

Post#1 » by bleedblue3303 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 am

Wanted to hear your thoughts. Didn't have his own thread so figured to start one.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Have only watched yesterday, looked better than I recall as an athlete, still issues with handle, can really operate from the post, I like how he uses his length on both ends, his D is a bit passive, doesn't get in stance, should be getting many more stocks than he does, not really around the ball nor paying much attention to the action.

His shot looks solid, can dribble in straight lines if he is in transition or gets a man that he can pass by, very little to no passing on the move, explosive of one foot.

I don't think he comes out, he looks like a 4 to me, low usage type that can shoot it and attack close-outs, hopefully in time he can be better on D, using that length and his mobility, needs that to be a rotation player.

if he doesn't he is more like Jeff Green than anything, if defense actually improves he might be a bit Moe Harkless, comp that I always thought made no sense but I can see now.

Kevin Knox is younger and has better ball skills than he does, but they are similar prospect in terms of tools, Knox with the higher upside but Hachimura is a more vertical athlete.

I am at least intrigued, I highly doubt he declares.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#3 » by blazeyo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 pm

He looks like Kevin Knox tbh, but has some red flags.

He attacks similar to Knox in transition and off the dribble. Similar finishing touch and ability. Better shooter off the dribble and same inconsistent ability from 3.

Problem I have with him is defense, assist numbers, steal numbers and blking numbers. Very underwhelming stats across the boards in stats the usually matter a lot at the next level and a good indicator for success... especially for a player like him.

Needs to stay atleast another year. Has a lot of things going for him though.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#4 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I think Knox has a better handle and pace to his dribbles, Rui is more limited but has more pop off one foot, Rui's motion while shooting looks more fluid than Knox to me.

He just isn't in position to affect the game, Knox isnt a great defender but he gets himself to situation where he can use his length and disrupt, Rui is far from even that yet, neither is a good passer whatsoever.

They have some similarities, i think Knox who is also younger has a higher ceiling, but Rui might have the higher floor if someone teaches him how to square down, get in stance and play capable D.

Hachimura is gonna stick for another year so it's gonna be interesting to see how he improves, I think Tillie will stay too, so them together+Larsen is gonna be fun.

Both Rui and Knox are better at the four.

Another guy that's similar in been a long wirey F that is clearly a 4, is Stanford's Da Silva, but he is the opposite, reaaally raw on offense and basically all defense, multi-year guy as well for sure.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Fischella wrote:I think Knox has a better handle and pace to his dribbles, Rui is more limited but has more pop off one foot, Rui's motion while shooting looks more fluid than Knox to me.

He just isn't in position to affect the game, Knox isnt a great defender but he gets himself to situation where he can use his length and disrupt, Rui is far from even that yet, neither is a good passer whatsoever.

They have some similarities, i think Knox who is also younger has a higher ceiling, but Rui might have the higher floor if someone teaches him how to square down, get in stance and play capable D.

Hachimura is gonna stick for another year so it's gonna be interesting to see how he improves, I think Tillie will stay too, so them together+Larsen is gonna be fun.

Both Rui and Knox are better at the four.

Another guy that's similar in been a long wirey F that is clearly a 4, is Stanford's Da Silva, but he is the opposite, reaaally raw on offense and basically all defense, multi-year guy as well for sure.

I think power forwards with length are kind of missing from this class. I would be surprised if Tillie stayed another year. He’s a first round pick.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#6 » by 916fan » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:31 am

I think Hacimura has got a long way to go. He was invisible in the Gonzaga vs. Villanova game. He got lost a few times on both ends. I think he's going to be a long-term project type of player. Wouldn't draft him in the lotto at all. Giannis comparisons have come out, but you have to remember that Giannis was drafted as a 17yearold who didn't turn 18 until Dec. Hachimura will be 20 by the draft.

I could see someone drafting him late 1st round and stashing him in the GLeague.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#7 » by Catchall » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:59 am

He looks soft on defense and on the boards. Just doesn't seem that assertive, from what I've seen.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:18 am

He looks really good. I don't think he will be an all star, but I do think he could be a 10 year starter for alot of teams. He seems like a Spurs type of player.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Hachimura is really really fluid. If he becomes more skilled he can be very good.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#10 » by No-Man » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Hachimura is really really fluid. If he becomes more skilled he can be very good.

Yeah he needs another year tho, like if he declares I think he is gonna spend years in the gleague, he is really raw, I like his physical profile and touch
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Hachimura is really really fluid. If he becomes more skilled he can be very good.

Yeah he needs another year tho, like if he declares I think he is gonna spend years in the gleague, he is really raw, I like his physical profile and touch

It’s hard to say. I think with fluid athletes that can shoot threes there is an argument to just throw them in and see what happens. Look at Giannis Antetokounmpo and OG Anunoby. Athletes like him actually tend to be better in a fast pace, more open floor kind of setting. And I think he could have value right away defensively/on the boards.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#12 » by BlueSan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

I find the kid has potential but like mentioned above is quite raw so I would agree that it would do him good to wait for one more year and meanwhile work on his skills specifically jump shot, ball handling and what not.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#13 » by No-Man » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:07 pm

That could be, still you see him on D and there is no way a team is gonna play him unless he improves at a ridiculous rate, he is comically bad and also not physical on D, bad combo for most NBA coaches
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Fischella wrote:That could be, still you see him on D and there is no way a team is gonna play him unless he improves at a ridiculous rate, he is comically bad and also not physical on D, bad combo for most NBA coaches

He needs to learn the game for sure. But I think someone like that you can’t just send to the G-league. I think it’s more likely they don’t play him, but keep him as the 15th roster spot. Kind of like how Caboclo has been for the Raptors in recent years. Someone that goes in and out from he league to the G-league all year. And again, I wouldn’t sell his fluidity short. Under the right coach I think he could be fine playing defense.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#15 » by 916fan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Hachimura has put up a string of impressive games.

23pts 4rebs 1asts 2blk vs. Saint Mary's
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#16 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Rui just had 24 and 7 against Australia (team comprised of NBL local players plus Dellevadova and Maker). Shot lights out in the first half, finished 2/3 from 3, bunch of mid-range jumpers including a couple of the dribble, had some interior buckets, crashed the boards well. 10/18 FG overall.

For comparison, Matthew Dellevadova had 4 points and 8 assists, and Thon Maker had 13 points and 12 boards (albeit really badly misused).

Japan won by a point.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#17 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:49 am

He could go #5 in next year's draft. He would have went #25 in this year's draft. This goes to show how weak the 2019 draft class is. If all goes well, his ceiling could be a #4 on a championship team, like Harrison Barnes. His middle i think is a fringe #5 or solid bench player.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#18 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 12:06 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:He could go #5 in next year's draft. He would have went #25 in this year's draft. This goes to show how weak the 2019 draft class is. If all goes well, his ceiling could be a #4 on a championship team, like Harrison Barnes. His middle i think is a fringe #5 or solid bench player.

He's not going to be a top ten pick next year. Some are predicting a break out season partially off of a couple good games he had in the tourney and because of his athlectism. It was the same with Akot this time last year. Gafford would have been a fringe lottery pick if he came out and is predicting the same next year so it's not really the draft class more so having high hopes for the kid.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:37 am

He's like a weaker Jabari Parker.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#20 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jul 1, 2018 11:51 pm

I think he's got more defensive potential than Parker (not as advanced an iso game, though, and not as explosive/not as good handler). I think a bank on Rui as a top pick is banking on the idea that he's still learning the game and will makes strides with his feel and understanding.

Return to NBA Draft