Mohamed Bamba

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Re: Mohamed Bamba 

Post#21 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:58 pm

He looks taller than 6'11. Looks 7 feet and I believe he is still growing.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#22 » by J_T » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Would draft him 6th-7th, he gained couple of spots. I'm also expecting him to be a regular on Shaqtin A Fool.
blazeyo
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm

J_T wrote:Would draft him 6th-7th, he gained couple of spots. I'm also expecting him to be a regular on Shaqtin A Fool.

You mean the fools and he is gonna dunk on and blocks without even jumping right?
J_T
Veteran

Post#24 » by J_T » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:27 pm

blazeyo wrote:
J_T wrote:Would draft him 6th-7th, he gained couple of spots. I'm also expecting him to be a regular on Shaqtin A Fool.

You mean the fools and he is gonna dunk on and blocks without even jumping right?

When I saw I posted right after you, I immediately knew you were going to write exactly the post you did. It's right around the pinnacle of your comedic abilities.

I'm good. I'm really good.
blazeyo
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 pm

J_T wrote:
blazeyo wrote:

When I saw I posted right after you, I immediately knew you were going to write exactly the post you did. It's right around the pinnacle of your comedic abilities.

then why are you spewing nonsense to the public, and yet you keep the truths to yourself?

Next time I want you to predcit what i'm going to write before I write it. I'll respect you more for that.
J_T
Veteran

Post#26 » by J_T » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:39 pm

blazeyo wrote:
J_T wrote:
blazeyo wrote:

then why are you spewing nonsense to the public, and yet you keep the truths to yourself?

Next time I want you to predcit what i'm going to write before I write it. I'll respect you more for that.

I'll keep that in mind for next time. Your respek is all I want.
blazeyo
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 pm

J_T wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
J_T wrote:When I saw I posted right after you, I immediately knew you were going to write exactly the post you did. It's right around the pinnacle of your comedic abilities.

I'll keep that in mind for next time. Your respek is all I want.

I do have more and1's than you, so that's understandable.
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#28 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:45 pm

What's Bamba's potential offensively? We all know defensively he could be perennial DPOY candidate. I'm just wondering, in this era, how high are people willing to go for an outstanding defensive prospect, who could be offensively limited?

In the past, we did have Dikembe went 4th in 1991, Camby went 2nd in 1996, and Thabeet went 2nd in 2009 (who is a bust).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,606

Post#29 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:24 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:What's Bamba's potential offensively? We all know defensively he could be perennial DPOY candidate. I'm just wondering, in this era, how high are people willing to go for an outstanding defensive prospect, who could be offensively limited?

In the past, we did have Dikembe went 4th in 1991, Camby went 2nd in 1996, and Thabeet went 2nd in 2009 (who is a bust).

How high would Gobert go in a redraft? I think he would go pretty high. I don't think a team needs all 5 guys on the court to be studs offensively. If you can get the elite of the elite rim protector who can also not die trying to defend the PnR, then add him being a stud rebounder and a tremendous job target at minimum offensively. I still think that has major value in today's game. Then you think maybe potentially offensively down the road he might even be able to play a little pick n pop or can't be left alone out on the perimeter, that would basically be the ideal big man in today's game.

I think Bamba's jump shot/FT potential is what separates him from a really good prospect to an elite one. It just all depends on if those two things ever come around or not. If those two things come around, I would not be shocked if Bamba ends up with the best impact on games out of everyone from this draft.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#30 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:29 pm

thr3ep01nte4 wrote:What's Bamba's potential offensively? We all know defensively he could be perennial DPOY candidate. I'm just wondering, in this era, how high are people willing to go for an outstanding defensive prospect, who could be offensively limited?

well, rudy averaged 14 ppg last year and bamba appears to have a little more offensive potential, so 17 ppg? worst case, he's at least rudy offensively, so 13-15 ppg.
thr3ep01nte4
Junior
And1: 150

Post#31 » by thr3ep01nte4 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:42 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:

well, rudy averaged 14 ppg last year and bamba appears to have a little more offensive potential, so 17 ppg? worst case, he's at least rudy offensively, so 13-15 ppg.

Bamba appears to be more mobile and has more bounce than Gobert. However, Gobert has 30 lbs on Bamba.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,673

Post#32 » by scrabbarista » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Appropriate names. I think I had him 4th in my mock about a month ago. Will do another in the next few days. I think he has the potential to be more effective and versatile than any of those guys or Gobert on offense, and just as high as any of them on D. Obviously dealing with very high risk/reward here, but so far I'm a believer.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#33 » by popfan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

How high would Gobert go in a redraft? I think he would go pretty high. I don't think a team needs all 5 guys on the court to be studs offensively. If you can get the elite of the elite rim protector who can also not die trying to defend the PnR, then add him being a stud rebounder and a tremendous job target at minimum offensively. I still think that has major value in today's game. Then you think maybe potentially offensively down the road he might even be able to play a little pick n pop or can't be left alone out on the perimeter, that would basically be the ideal big man in today's game.

I think Bamba's jump shot/FT potential is what separates him from a really good prospect to an elite one. It just all depends on if those two things ever come around or not. If those two things come around, I would not be shocked if Bamba ends up with the best impact on games out of everyone from this draft.

As a Longhorn alum, I've followed Texas basketball for more than a few decades. I had to respond to your comparison of Bamba to Gobert. Gobert is surely a defensive juggernaut inside the paint. If Gobert attended Texas, he would be the first ever Longhorn big man in the NBA with defensive prowess. Kevin Durant (chuckle)? No. Chris Mihm (bigger chuckle)? No. Myles Turner? Possibly. Texas isn't Georgetown. It doesn't have a tradition of elite rim-protecting big men like Mutombo, Ewing and Morning. While Texas may have recently had a few players with defensive prowess (Avery Bradley and PJ Tucker), we emphasize and develop players with offensive ability. Defense isn't in our DNA as it has been at Duke.

I believe that you'll be disappointed if you expect elite NBA rim protection from Bamba comparable to Gobert.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 pm

popfan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

As a Longhorn alum, I've followed Texas basketball for more than a few decades. I had to respond to your comparison of Bamba to Gobert. Gobert is surely a defensive juggernaut inside the paint. If Gobert attended Texas, he would be the first ever Longhorn big man in the NBA with defensive prowess. Kevin Durant (chuckle)? No. Chris Mihm (bigger chuckle)? No. Myles Turner? Possibly. Texas isn't Georgetown. It doesn't have a tradition of elite rim-protecting big men like Mutombo, Ewing and Morning. While Texas may have recently had a few players with defensive prowess (Avery Bradley and PJ Tucker), we emphasize and develop players with offensive ability. Defense isn't in our DNA as it has been at Duke.

I believe that you'll be disappointed if you expect elite NBA rim protection from Bamba comparable to Gobert.

But none of that really matters though if Im being honest. Even if we are talking strictly how Texas develops players, Shaka Smart is a completely different type of coach than Rick Barnes. So really the players from the late 90s to 2015 have basically nothing in common to the players playing now under Shaka Smart except for their jerseys are the same color. And 2nd, Texas has never had a prospect with the defensive potential that Bamba has. Are you saying Gobert wouldnt be the same defender he is now, if he attended Texas for 1 year? Then you bring up Kevin Durant who has become a really good rim protector and leads the NBA in blocked shots. Hell Texas alumns have the top 2 spots in the NBA right now in blocked shots with KD and Turner. I understand there is more to rim protecting than just blocked shots, but thats still a big part of rim protecting, and again those two dont even come close to the defensive potential that Bamba has.

This would be like me saying in 2011, you expect Kyrie to do anything in the NBA? You cant point to a single good PG from Duke in the NBA, therefore dont expect him to do anything. Well that wouldve proven to be dumb to say, because Duke had never had a talent like Kyrie before. So just because Texas doesnt have a history of good big men like Georgetown doesnt mean you cant expect a top tier big man that goes to Texas to be any good in the NBA. Especially since you guys have a brand new coach.

Plus: If you think defense isnt in your DNA, maybe thats why Texas got away from Rick Barnes and got a coach that is known for defense. Texas was top 25 defense last year and currently are sitting with the 5th best defense in the nation. Also just goes to show how things can change when you say defense is in Duke's DNA. Duke has been a horrific defense for coming close to a decade now. K has no clue how to coach up a defense anymore.
blazeyo
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by blazeyo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:12 pm

popfan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

You don't think Bamba is an elite rim protector? You think Gobert would have been a better rim protector as a freshman?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#36 » by nolang1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:27 pm

blazeyo wrote:
popfan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

You don't think Bamba is an elite rim protector? You think Gobert would have been a better rim protector as a freshman?

When Gobert was 19 he averaged 4 blocks per 40 minutes in the top pro league in France so quite possibly.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 pm

nolang1 wrote:
blazeyo wrote:
popfan wrote:

When Gobert was 19 he averaged 4 blocks per 40 minutes in the top pro league in France so quite possibly.

Ya Gobert was a beast. Just like Bamba is a beast. I just dont get why him playing at Texas means we shouldnt expect an elite rim protector from him. As a Duke fan I would love to say so much of Tatum's effectiveness so far at Boston has a lot to do with him choosing Duke and getting coached by K. But if he chose St. Louis over Duke, I dont think there would be really any difference in his game right now. We are talking about 6-9 months is about as along as these OADs spend at a college. Tatum has already played 300 more minutes for the Celtics than he played for Duke and its still just December.

Bamba spending 9 months at Texas isnt going to hurt his prospects at being an elite rim protector. The dude is already showing just how elite he is in that area.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#38 » by GimmeDat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:26 am

I think Gobert has the edge when it comes to motor and physicality, but Gobert has the edge when it comes to movement and rim protecting instincts.
J_T
Veteran

Post#39 » by J_T » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:30 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think Gobert has the edge when it comes to motor and physicality, but Gobert has the edge when it comes to movement and rim protecting instincts.

Sounds like this guy Gobert is really good. :)
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#40 » by GimmeDat » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:31 am

J_T wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think Gobert has the edge when it comes to motor and physicality, but Gobert has the edge when it comes to movement and rim protecting instincts.

Sounds like this guy Gobert is really good. :)

You can say that again.

Return to NBA Draft