Luka Doncic part II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

AJ3
Sophomore
And1: 63

Re: Luka Doncic part II 

Post#1701 » by AJ3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:It would be sick if someone made a Luka Doncic vs NBA players video and showed every play he had with an NBAer(ex; Hezonja this summer, Diaw in league play and maybe he battled Kristaps or Don Mitchell in some youth tournament). We would have a 100% view of his abilities then.

Just watch his highlights from eurobasket they're pretty easy to find on YouTube.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#1702 » by realEAST » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Alatan wrote:
AJ3 wrote:
The reason Luka Doncic is so divisive is not because of his skin color or ethnicity or anything else, it's because of the neverending argument people in this community have when projecting talent - SKILL or ATHLETICISM ? It's a lot easier to imagine somebody who is super athletic to get more skillfull and build on that than vice-versa. But every once in a while, there comes a player who does the opposite, they rely on their skill first and athleticism second and it's a lot harder to give them credit because it's not the prototype that you are used to seeing.

In truth it never is SKILL or ATHLETICISM its skill AND athleticism. Some guys have the talent to become skilled and they only show glimpses of it but i dont think that a player that looks lost on the court or with the ball in his hands can become skilled enough to become a star. A lot of people expect a guy that has never shown any signs of skill to just "learn the game". It rarely, RARELY happens. Also many expect that a kid becomes more athletic when he joins the NBA that almost NEVER happens. The only guys who become more athletic once they join the NBA are skinny guys like Ingram, KD, Giannis, AD or out of shape guys like Jokic or Mark Gasoll etc. Im not saying players dont improve because they do but they dont improve so vastly as many expect.

It's all good, and I don't think nobody expects some massive jump from Luka and development of 40" vertical, nor does he need it.
But at the same time he is much better athlete than he is being made out by some posters, and his athleticism is already around average for NBA level. And he can still make some improvements with his body, it is obvious looking at him, which should improve his athletic abilities and performances. Finally, as he mature, he should be slightly above average NBA athlete imo. Coupled with his skils and IQ as well as overall mental makeup, it is more than enough to make him All Star caliber player imo.
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#1703 » by realEAST » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:39 pm

arkuo wrote:
realEAST wrote:If we are speaking of cultural reasons, I'd say that intensity of rejection that is manifested among big part of USA based fans who dismiss Doncic without even trying to actually develop a reasonable argument is in big part result of machism inherent and deeply rooted in American culture, and consequently, urge to dominate, so much that they can't simply aknowladge someone being better than them in "their" sport. Irrationality that is obvious in their argumentation shows that quite clearly.

Agreed. Im not American nor do I speak in behalf of them. But objectively speaking, at the end of the day, it is a league in the United States. In their house, so to speak. Im sure Mr Doncic would like to stay away as far as possible from a league full of "machism that's deepy rooted" in the league as you would put it. Like I said, their house, their rules.

It would be the same way when an 18 year old American would be hyped to be compared to Messi or Ronaldo when they were 18. They would riot in the streets of Barcelona and Madrid, I assume. Potato-potato, my friend. Just my two cents.

It's not only the league, it's the dominant culture in the society as whole. But don't think Doncic will have problems with it, he is too good and mentally strong to fall under it imo.

As for football, I don't agree, there haven't been such an example, and it is much more internationalized sport imo. But as AJ3 said, big part of it's just different structure of leagues and competitions.
realEAST
Lead Assistant

Post#1704 » by realEAST » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
narcolepsy wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:And this guy cant realize a guy who was overhyped just like Luca and was a top lottery pick has yet to make the playoffs as a starting PG. In fact as soon as the team with the huge PO drought dumps him, they are not only in, but vying for HCA.

Is Boogie a scrub because he's never played in playoffs? Such a ridiculous argument.

And it's Luka, with a K. Just shows how much you know about him.

He's a C+ player, so he's Luca. Yea Boogie is an empty stat king, but heck, at least he gets stats. Rubio cant even get that right.

Stick to playing NBA 2K, these are D- comments.
Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Post#1705 » by Rn5ho » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1528309&start=120#p63529682

doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if there's a sleeper in this draft, he's it. I have no idea where he's going to go in th draft, but he does everything well. He can play off ball, handle a little, has complicated moves to get around defenders, plays off ball, has a beautiful arc to his shot, defends, has a soft touch, is a good passer, finishes with contact, can dunk and I think his speed is sneakily underrated. He doesn't have a great first step, but he's a tricky player to stay in front of because he's so comfortable around the 3 point line. He seems to be quicker on fast breaks than in the lane. I don't think he has PG speed, but he's pretty quick. He's a back up handler or starting SG. Would be amazing for a team like Houston.

Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so much quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.

This is just "random" observation by someone posting in Donnovan Mitchell's thread - 1st comment is from 1 year ago and 2nd one is from few days ago. It kinda has some similarities to Luka's situation.
burek3
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#1706 » by burek3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm

AJ3 wrote:...The reason Luka Doncic is so divisive is not because of his skin color or ethnicity or anything else...

peja_the_legend becoming a crap-poster in Luka threads suspiciously coincides with Dončić's declaration that he will play for Slovenian NT. Just throwing that one out there.

Reddit r/NBA_draft is full of "white euro scrub" for example.

I also posted some reactions from a random yahoo article on Luka somewhere around here...

The general public is a huge amount of people, wouldn't just discredit it so easily, especially in the "couch coaching experts" category. Though I do agree that this board is surprisingly closer to the neutral (objective?) zone than most.

Anyways....

https://www.facebook.com/slovenianba/videos/1639106642842674/

The scale seems off on this panel behind them...
"Holy f**k" :o
- DeAndre Jordan
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#1707 » by doordoor123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Rn5ho wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1528309&start=120#p63529682

doordoor123 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if there's a sleeper in this draft, he's it. I have no idea where he's going to go in th draft, but he does everything well. He can play off ball, handle a little, has complicated moves to get around defenders, plays off ball, has a beautiful arc to his shot, defends, has a soft touch, is a good passer, finishes with contact, can dunk and I think his speed is sneakily underrated. He doesn't have a great first step, but he's a tricky player to stay in front of because he's so comfortable around the 3 point line. He seems to be quicker on fast breaks than in the lane. I don't think he has PG speed, but he's pretty quick. He's a back up handler or starting SG. Would be amazing for a team like Houston.

Interesting to see this. We need to watch how quick players are in the fast break to see how quick they’ll be in the lane in the NBA. That’s how Mitchell got so much quicker, the lanes are clogged in college. Trae Young is going to be better in the NBA and I have no doubt.

This is just "random" observation by someone posting in Donnovan Mitchell's thread - 1st comment is from 1 year ago and 2nd one is from few days ago. It kinda has some similarities to Luka's situation.

I wouldn’t put quotations around “random.” But we’ve already seen what Doncic does against NBA-level competition. I wonder once he gets comfortable if he’s quicker in the lane.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#1708 » by Bob8 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:19 pm

I don’t think that single games, good or bad, should have any influence on how people see Luka. We have seen more or less everything. Now we just have to wait how he will look in Nba.

This thread is useless at this point.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1709 » by arkuo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Who do you guys think will have a better career? Luka Doncic or Jayson Tatum? I just want to get a feel of what you fellas think
AJ3
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#1710 » by AJ3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm

arkuo wrote:Who do you guys think will have a better career? Luka Doncic or Jayson Tatum? I just want to get a feel of what you fellas think

What do you think?
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1711 » by arkuo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:42 pm

AJ3 wrote:
arkuo wrote:Who do you guys think will have a better career? Luka Doncic or Jayson Tatum? I just want to get a feel of what you fellas think

What do you think?

Right now, both look pretty equal to me. Both aren't Zach Lavine athletic, but can dunk because they are 6'7 and 6'8. Both can shoot pretty well. Great footwork. Both can sometimes be a step slower on defense too. Luka can pass the ball better, I would like to believe so. Tatum can create his own shot better. That's the only difference I can think of, albeit minor.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#1712 » by juanc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:It would be sick if someone made a Luka Doncic vs NBA players video and showed every play he had with an NBAer(ex; Hezonja this summer, Diaw in league play and maybe he battled Kristaps or Don Mitchell in some youth tournament). We would have a 100% view of his abilities then.

Spain: Rubio, Hernangomez brothers, Gasol brothers, Abrines
;t=6s Latvia: Porzingis, Bertans
France: Lauvergne, Fournier, Diaw
OKC: whole team :D
Croatia: Bogdanović, Šarič
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#1713 » by UcanUwill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Thats a damn good question. I gonna cop out sand say equal. I think Doncic probably has higher ceiling, but Tatum is already proven he can do a lot of thing at NBA level. Doncic is really struggling with his shot right now, if he was in the NBA, he would have tougher times than Tatum I think (right now).
tria
Junior
And1: 757

Post#1714 » by tria » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:10 pm

From Euroleague page:
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/8jj4p636uknk7qgb/records-watch-players-teams-aim-for-marks-of-excellence

Real Madrid wunderkind Luka Doncic is on pace to set the single-season record for performance index rating points. He has 535 through 22 games. CSKA Moscow's Nando De Colo set the record with 656 in 27 games two years ago in his MVP season. If he averages 15.2 over the eight remaining regular season games – or even 11.0 with three playoff appearances, should Madrid qualify – Doncic will take the record.

Doncic's average index rating of 24.3 is the third-highest ever among players with a minimum of 20 appearances, but he will have to raise it to surpass the top two: Maccabi Tel Aviv legend Anthony Parker (24.9 in 2004-05) and Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade center Boban Marjanovic (25.7 in 2014-15).

Doncic is also in the record hunt for best per-minute index rating. His average of 37.3 prorated over 40 minutes trails only Marjanovic's 37.6. In third place is Hall of Fame center Arvydas Sabonis of Zalgiris Kaunas (37.2 in 2003-04).

Doncic could also set the EuroLeague record for three throws made in a season, which is 168 by Langford for UNICS last season. Doncic has made 114 so far, which is an average of more than 5 per game and on pace for 155 at the end of the regular season. At that rate, Doncic would take the record in the playoffs.

Similarly, Doncic has the inside track on Lanford's record of 202 free throw attempts in a season. With 140 attempts thus far, he is on pace for 191 for the regular season alone.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1715 » by UcanUwill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 pm

tria wrote:From Euroleague page:
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/8jj4p636uknk7qgb/records-watch-players-teams-aim-for-marks-of-excellence

Real Madrid wunderkind Luka Doncic is on pace to set the single-season record for performance index rating points. He has 535 through 22 games. CSKA Moscow's Nando De Colo set the record with 656 in 27 games two years ago in his MVP season. If he averages 15.2 over the eight remaining regular season games – or even 11.0 with three playoff appearances, should Madrid qualify – Doncic will take the record.

Doncic's average index rating of 24.3 is the third-highest ever among players with a minimum of 20 appearances, but he will have to raise it to surpass the top two: Maccabi Tel Aviv legend Anthony Parker (24.9 in 2004-05) and Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade center Boban Marjanovic (25.7 in 2014-15).

Doncic is also in the record hunt for best per-minute index rating. His average of 37.3 prorated over 40 minutes trails only Marjanovic's 37.6. In third place is Hall of Fame center Arvydas Sabonis of Zalgiris Kaunas (37.2 in 2003-04).

Doncic could also set the EuroLeague record for three throws made in a season, which is 168 by Langford for UNICS last season. Doncic has made 114 so far, which is an average of more than 5 per game and on pace for 155 at the end of the regular season. At that rate, Doncic would take the record in the playoffs.

Similarly, Doncic has the inside track on Lanford's record of 202 free throw attempts in a season. With 140 attempts thus far, he is on pace for 191 for the regular season alone.

With completely new Regular season format, we will see these total season records beat quite often.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#1716 » by blazeyo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Where can I watch the Real Madrid Barcelona game?
narcolepsy
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#1717 » by narcolepsy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:51 pm

There are always Acestream links for Real games on https://acelisting.in/
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#1718 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:03 pm

So they are going to let him score 20 of free throws.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
KD95
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#1719 » by KD95 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:So they are going to let him score 20 of free throws.

Well, if you elbow someone in the face, or foul him when he shoots, they're probably going to call the foul on you.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#1720 » by UcanUwill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Took one stupid shot, other than that looks good, being aggressive.

Return to NBA Draft