Re: Temetrius "Ja" Morant 

Post#161 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Yikes.
WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#162 » by WalterBenjamin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Not sold on him. 8-9 is the range for him getting picked.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#163 » by King Ken » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:40 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:He looks like he is 6'5, but he looks super skinny but Anthony Davis showed that you can easily put on muscle in 6 month.

The hype for Morant is real, he is the first elite defensive PG i have seen since Deron Williams. He could become Gary Payton, J Kidd level one day.

His defense is just a tier above Trae as a PG prospect. Are you sure about this statement? Maybe you see something I don't see
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#164 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:He looks like he is 6'5, but he looks super skinny but Anthony Davis showed that you can easily put on muscle in 6 month.

The hype for Morant is real, he is the first elite defensive PG i have seen since Deron Williams. He could become Gary Payton, J Kidd level one day.

He is a horrible defensive player. His defense looks horrible against Ohio Valley Conference level of competition. I'm just so confused right now.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#165 » by King Ken » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Trae was an elite shooting prospect, with incredible feel for the game, the most polished freshman PG since probably Chris Paul or Mike Conley

stop it

Elite? Trae jacked up 10 3 pointers a game, shooting at 36%. Ja is shooting half that, and shooting the 3 at a 34% clip. Don't get me wrong, there is no arguing that Trae is the better shooter, but he was always considered a gunner, and not an elite shooter by any stretch.

Ja is significantly a better athlete, better measurements, a significantly better finisher around the basket, and though not as creative of a passer, he is still a really good play maker. Both struggled with turnovers though, and Ja will likely continue to struggles once in the NBA, at least until he has a better understanding of the league.

In terms of long term potential, Ja should be considered on par with Trae at the very least. Personally for me, if both were in the same draft, I go with Ja, even though he is a lesser shooter, I think he has more potential as an all round player than Trae, but that's just me.

That's a tough one. Both players fit the modern NBA. At the end of the day, Trae slashing ability is next level.

Him, Fox and Trae are the future of the NBA at the PG position
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#166 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:45 am

King Ken wrote:

His defense is just a tier above Trae as a PG prospect. Are you sure about this statement? Maybe you see something I don't see

He is long, good feet, great lateral quickness, he is able to stay infront of anybody he has faced. He has good anticipation without gambling too much and he seems to always want to make a play on defense and seems to care about defense. He is fearless on offense and seems to be the same way on defense.

He needs to bulk up alot, and if he does, he could be a slightly better version of Avery Bradley on defense and maybe be an all NBA defensive team 5yrs from now, and with a Westbrook/Wade offense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#167 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

This is what I’m gyotdamn talking about.

Let’s also add that he went 21-21 from the line and only had 3 turnovers.

At what point does the production outweigh the concerns about his lack of refinement?

I don't know. He did this against one of the worst teams in college basketball. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We are talking about a team that is ranked in the 320s out 353 teams.

You put Grimes in the Mid Eastern Athletic conference instead of the Big 12, is he putting up similar games like this? I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

I get questioning when does the production outweigh the concerns about his lack of refinement. But we also have to weigh the level of competition he is going against to produce these stats. SIU is 327th out of 353 teams. This is close to as bad as it gets in college basketball.

Remember that while most teams they've played weren't good, Murray State has played Alabama and Auburn (7th ranked) and came close to winning both games with him having big games - though he did have a lot of turnovers. And those were Murray State's only losses. Only 1 of their wins has been by less than 10 points. And this is with him having a mediocre 3 point shot - which could very well come around - as he's a better than 80% foul shooter after going 21 of 21 last game. And his defense sets him apart from comps to Brandon Jennings and other guards like that. Not to mention that a PG making 63.3% of his 2's is rare at any level with his level of usage. I think if the draft were held today, he'd go top 3.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#168 » by Lalouie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

Fischella wrote:He still gets so little elevation of one, he is a solid athlete and that's correctable, but I'd prefer less flashiness and a guy with more strength-base, lean muscle, tighter game

At one point his potential is too much to pass up, but he is gonna be as low as that makes sense in my board, which is probably late top10-late lotto, not a lot of special prospect in this class

The shooting motion and the strength are the top2 worries

they all get stronger, they all shoot better. it used to worry me too, but no one even touches anyone anymore. it's all hands free. and since the league is getting younger(in 2 years they'll be allowing for real high school kids to play), what does it all mean in the end???
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#169 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am

Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I don't know. He did this against one of the worst teams in college basketball. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We are talking about a team that is ranked in the 320s out 353 teams.

You put Grimes in the Mid Eastern Athletic conference instead of the Big 12, is he putting up similar games like this? I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

I get questioning when does the production outweigh the concerns about his lack of refinement. But we also have to weigh the level of competition he is going against to produce these stats. SIU is 327th out of 353 teams. This is close to as bad as it gets in college basketball.

Remember that while most teams they've played weren't good, Murray State has played Alabama and Auburn (7th ranked) and came close to winning both games with him having big games - though he did have a lot of turnovers. And those were Murray State's only losses. Only 1 of their wins has been by less than 10 points. And this is with him having a mediocre 3 point shot - which could very well come around - as he's a better than 80% foul shooter after going 21 of 21 last game. And his defense sets him apart from comps to Brandon Jennings and other guards like that. Not to mention that a PG making 63.3% of his 2's is rare at any level with his level of usage. I think if the draft were held today, he'd go top 3.

I agree that he's different from Jennings, but there are a few issues I have with this post (not trying to sound condescending).

- Murray State's conference is atrocious. He's that much better than the competition for sure, but it says as much about the poor players he plays against as it does reflect his talent level. What I mean by that is the point differential is meaningless to me.

- You're right his 3 point shooting could come around, but Schröder is a good FT shooter and he never became a good 3 point shooter. I bring this up because they have similar shooting forms.

- His defense is better than Jennings, but he's still not a good defender. As someone who has seen most of his games, this is obvious within minutes of watching him.

I'm really debating whether or not I should make a video on why the hype is getting out of control for The Stepien or Knicks Film School or something.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#170 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Jennings also couldn’t finish at the rim for nothing especially could not go left if his life depended on it. Don’t really see that comp at all
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#171 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:10 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Jennings also couldn’t finish at the rim for nothing especially could not go left if his life depended on it. Don’t really see that comp at all

Jennings jumper was also significantly better. 90th percentile his rookie year on C&S (216 attempts) and his off dribble jumper was shot at a higher percentage than Ja's currently is (32.4 on 460 vs 31.5 on 54 attempts)...and he actually had the ability to pull up on a dime and shoot (even if it wasn't a great look, it was a skill).
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#172 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Jennings also couldn’t finish at the rim for nothing especially could not go left if his life depended on it. Don’t really see that comp at all

Jennings jumper was also significantly better. 90th percentile his rookie year on C&S (216 attempts) and his off dribble jumper was shot at a higher percentage than Ja's currently is (32.4 on 460 vs 31.5 on 54 attempts)...and he actually had the ability to pull up on a dime and shoot (even if it wasn't a great look, it was a skill).

Watching Jennings play was awful. I’ve seen the guy stop and pop a awkward 3 during a 3 on 1 fast break. Dude was a bad chucker, I haven’t seen Morant other than highlights but He looks to have a lot better driving game that will hopefully keep him from being inefficient like Jennings.

Jennings was a skilled passer as well but didn’t have the high IQ to run a offense properly
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#173 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Why people keep talking about Morant like if he were a great finisher?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#174 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

- Murray State's conference is atrocious. He's that much better than the competition for sure, but it says as much about the poor players he plays against as it does reflect his talent level. What I mean by that is the point differential is meaningless to me.

this is true, but by the same token, the players he's playing with are pretty terrible too.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#175 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

this is true, but by the same token, the players he's playing with are pretty terrible too.

Poor competition is poor competition.

I'd also add that him being head and shoulders above the competition, and basketball being a sport where 1 player can make all the difference, negates the lack of talent he's playing with. And, FWIW, his backcourt mate, while not an NBA prospect, is better than most players he's played against.

Playing organized basketball at any level also shows that if you are that much better than the competition, you can be paired with crap and it'll still work.

I feel like people are coming up with bull excuses just because.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#176 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I'd also add that him being head and shoulders above the competition, and basketball being a sport where 1 player can make all the difference, negates the lack of talent he's playing with. And, FWIW, his backcourt mate, while not an NBA prospect, is better than most players he's played against.

Playing organized basketball at any level also shows that if you are that much better than the competition, you can be paired with crap and it'll still work.

are u suggesting that this guy wouldn't be killing it if he was on UK or Duke instead?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#177 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

are u suggesting that this guy wouldn't be killing it if he was on UK or Duke instead?

I am suggesting he wouldn't be getting nearly as much hype and his flaws would be actually seen by people, instead of the masses resorting to watching highlights. I am suggesting his numbers wouldn't be as great. I am suggesting he wouldn't be wrongly viewed as a top 3 pick.

I don't think people really understand how crap his league is and how overrated he really is.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#178 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Poor competition is poor competition.

I am suggesting he wouldn't be getting nearly as much hype and his flaws would be actually seen by people, instead of the masses resorting to watching highlights. I am suggesting his numbers wouldn't be as great. I am suggesting he wouldn't be wrongly viewed as a top 3 pick.

I don't think people really understand how crap his league is and how overrated he really is.

i mean, i agree that top 3 is too rich (i have him 10th), but I disagree with the idea that he wouldn't look as good on a higher profile team.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#179 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i mean, i agree that top 3 is too rich (i have him 10th), but I disagree with the idea that he wouldn't look as good on a higher profile team.

Ok. We'll never know, so what you or I think is irrelevant lol.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#180 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:45 pm

And the award for most polarizing player of the 2019 draft goes to...

Return to NBA Draft