clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Re: Temetrius "Ja" Morant 

Post#201 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:10 am

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Go ask the Knicks board about how I was on Trae. I was equally hard on him for his lack of defense, turnovers, finishing problems, and poor shot IQ. However, I think his passing is better and, even though he didn't play off the ball much at OU, he absolutely had the ability to - he was in the 100th percentile, IIRC, on C&S.

So, no, I was never a "huge fan" of Young. My analysis is consistent and I poke holes in everyone, regardless of who they are and what team they play for. Please don't lump me in there.

*He shot worse in a conference that makes Morant's look like 8th grade rec league.

sorry, I was actually talking about Fischella, who I believe had Trae top 3?

which is fine, plenty of people did, but I just don't see the consistency here.

There’s a big difference between Young and Morant, it’s not even comparable. Morant is bigger, quicker, more athletic and has more advanced moves. Young has a much tighter handle, he’s a much better passer, he’s a better shooter and he has a higher IQ/more control in his game. Of course he lacks size and doesn’t take the best shots, but his ability to handle and pass the way he does is special. Those are two qualities very few players have and thus it is more valuable. If you watch some of his more recent plays he’s actually playing much better. At the same time I’m also someone who said he should come off the bench in the first year. You have to give 17/18/19 year olds more time. I would be SHOCKED if Morant becomes a starter in his first year and if he is I would Ben shocked if it were to be for long. He has so much development to work on. If point guards want playing time they need to be able to beat guys off the dribble via off of a screen or in an iso situation. Morant can get off a screen, but I’m not convinced he has the first step to do it in iso situations at the NBA level. They need to be able to defend (and if he’s a starter, starting level point guards, which by average have elite speed/first steps). They need to be able to play off-ball unless they’re elite handlers/passers and I don’t see the that in Morant due to his high turnover rate and high handle.

i'm not really comparing them as players, but more so the negatives you guys keeping chirping about Morant.

by my count, u have issues with Morant's size, athleticism, finishing and off-ball prowess. Literally all were huge red flags of Young's as a prospect.

u see what the dots aren't connecting here, right?
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#202 » by mattg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:34 am

Morant is semi terrifying as a prospect. He’s a force of nature in many regards, but at the same time he is completely out of control. I feel like he has literally zero concept of controlling pace let alone being able to run an offense effectively against actual defenses and quality talent.

That combined with his celebratory demeanor and complete lack of defense make me feel like his floor might be non-NBA player, and that it might be a very high chance of fulfilling that outcome. I don’t feel like he has a middle of the road outcome where he becomes a solid role guy at all (feel like he’d need massive skill improvements in multiple areas and an entire shift in his approach to the game); either he develops and becomes a star of sorts, or he’s just a bum.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#203 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 am

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
sorry, I was actually talking about Fischella, who I believe had Trae top 3?

which is fine, plenty of people did, but I just don't see the consistency here.

There’s a big difference between Young and Morant, it’s not even comparable. Morant is bigger, quicker, more athletic and has more advanced moves. Young has a much tighter handle, he’s a much better passer, he’s a better shooter and he has a higher IQ/more control in his game.

Morant is not quicker than Trae. Trae might have one of the best combinations in the NBA of quickness and first step. From what I've seen of Morant, I've seen far more speed and acceleration but I don't see more quickness and agility or even close. Morant has elite speed and acceleration. That's why some compare him to Westbrook with the power dunking to go with it.

I don't see a Westbrook level athlete. I don't see all time GOAT athlete like Westbrook was. That's elite speed, quickness, first step, and acceleration in his prime. Same for D. Rose who has even crazier acceleration in his prime.

I see more of a D. Fox level athlete. Where he has tremendous open court speed and acceleration. But his first step and quickness is solid and could be even better if he had the strength and body control that's needed.

In terms of speed, yes, Morant is quicker than Trae. Not to say Trae doesn’t have a faster first step. But in terms of running the floor and running in general he’s quicker. I don’t see anything compared to Westbrook, but most of Morant’s game will be on fastbreaks off of steals. Fox is the fastest player in the NBA right now so I disagree with that part at the end.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#204 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 am

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
There’s a big difference between Young and Morant, it’s not even comparable. Morant is bigger, quicker, more athletic and has more advanced moves. Young has a much tighter handle, he’s a much better passer, he’s a better shooter and he has a higher IQ/more control in his game.

Morant is not quicker than Trae. Trae might have one of the best combinations in the NBA of quickness and first step. From what I've seen of Morant, I've seen far more speed and acceleration but I don't see more quickness and agility or even close. Morant has elite speed and acceleration. That's why some compare him to Westbrook with the power dunking to go with it.

I don't see a Westbrook level athlete. I don't see all time GOAT athlete like Westbrook was. That's elite speed, quickness, first step, and acceleration in his prime. Same for D. Rose who has even crazier acceleration in his prime.

I see more of a D. Fox level athlete. Where he has tremendous open court speed and acceleration. But his first step and quickness is solid and could be even better if he had the strength and body control that's needed.

In terms of speed, yes, Morant is quicker than Trae. Not to say Trae doesn’t have a faster first step. But in terms of running the floor and running in general he’s quicker. I don’t see anything compared to Westbrook, but most of Morant’s game will be on fastbreaks off of steals. Fox is the fastest player in the NBA right now so I disagree with that part at the end.

I am not sure you understand what quickness is. You are confusing speed and acceleration for quickness.

Players with tremendous speed with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball and be faster than anyone and everyone.
Jeff Teague
Dennis S.
Bogues
The Jet Terry
Westbrook
Rose
Sexton
Fox
Morant
Wall
A.I.
etc

Players with tremendous acceleration with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball and go into another gear where others just can't react if in open court
LeBron
MJ
Wade
Wall
Fox
Westbrook
Rose
Sexton
Bledsoe
Zion
Giannis
Kidd
Devin Harris
Magic
Simmons
A.I.
etc

Players with tremendous quickness with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball in the half court and explode extremely quick in tight spaces without being stopped going to the paint.

Trae
MJ
Kyrie
Nash
IT0
Zeke
Westbrook
Prime Rose
Wall
Giannis
Simmons
A.I.
DeRozan
J.J. Berea
D. Mitchell
Wade
etc

Players with tremendous first step with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball in the half court and explode passed you off the first step: Some guys are 2nd step guys like LeBron who 2nd step is usually beyond elite.

Trae
MJ
Kyrie
Lou Williams
IT0
Zeke
Westbrook
Prime Rose
Wall
Giannis
Kemba
A.I.
Dante Exum
D. Mitchell
Wade
Rondo
Lillard
Harden
Zion
Tim Hardaway Sr.
Rod Strickland
Dennis Smith Jr.
Francis
Arenas
Baron Davis
Monta Ellis
Dennis S
Andrew Toney
Tiny A.
T-Mac
It seems like the 2000's had a lot of first step guys
etc

Monta clip with Lillard is perfect. You saw how as soon as he exploded with just the first step, he was already passed his defender in terms of angle. That's what an elite first step. You are done before another step is needed and you need help instantly. It's very hard to be an elite PG who's smaller without an elite first step.

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#205 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:07 am

No, I know what speed is. Speed is how fast someone runs. That’s speed.

Acceleration is the same as first step because the first step is someone’s acceleration. You’re getting that mixed up.

Running downhill or running in the open floor is, well, running in the open floor. And speed in the lane is speed in the lane. And then speed in the half-court.

Quickness is a general term for speed, like “that guy is quick” meaning he’s fast. It’s just a broad term.

For you:
quick·ness
/ˈkwiknəs/Submit
noun
the quality of moving fast or doing something in a short time.

You’re having fun by creating your own meanings, I get it, but generally that’s not what that stuff means.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#206 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 am

doordoor123 wrote:No, I know what speed is. Speed is how fast someone runs. That’s speed.

Acceleration is the same as first step because the first step is someone’s acceleration. You’re getting that mixed up.

Running downhill or running in the open floor is, well, running in the open floor. And speed in the lane is speed in the lane. And then speed in the half-court.

Quickness is a general term for speed, like “that guy is quick” meaning he’s fast. It’s just a broad term.

You’re having fun by creating your own meanings, I get it, but generally that’s not what that stuff means.

Acceleration is the ability to go into the next gear while running with pace. For example in Soccer, Messi has elite acceleration. No one is ever going to say he is as fast as Kylian Mbappe but everyone will say he can go into another gear regardless if he is altered in terms of direction. While Mbappe is more of a straight line speed guy. Rose mastered the ability to be moved into different directions and just get faster while the defender naturally slows down.

I am using the terms that everyone uses in all sports. Soccer, Basketball, Football, etc.

Quickness is not a general term in the way I am using it. I am being specific. Just because many people can't tell the difference. I am giving you video exactly explaining what I mean. So even if you do not agree with the terminology, you should be able to understand what I am saying to you.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#207 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:25 am

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:No, I know what speed is. Speed is how fast someone runs. That’s speed.

Acceleration is the ability to go into the next gear while running with pace. For example in Soccer, Messi has elite acceleration. No one is ever going to say he is as fast as Kylian Mbappe but everyone will say he can go into another gear regardless if he is altered in terms of direction. While Mbappe is more of a straight line speed guy. Rose mastered the ability to be moved into different directions and just get faster while the defender naturally slows down.

I am using the terms that everyone uses in all sports. Soccer, Basketball, Football, etc.

Quickness is not a general term in the way I am using it. I am being specific. Just because many people can't tell the difference. I am giving you video exactly explaining what I mean. So even if you do not agree with the terminology, you should be able to understand what I am saying to you.

You should be able to understand what I’m saying to you, but you’re paying so much attention to what you’re saying.

In football first step is meaningless because it’s an open field. It’s acceleration. Acceleration is what a first step is.

You can say whatever you want, but if you’re making up your own terminology no one is going to understand you.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#208 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:32 am

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

You should be able to understand what I’m saying to you, but you’re paying so much attention to what you’re saying.

In football first step is meaningless because it’s an open field. It’s acceleration. Acceleration is what a first step is.

You can say whatever you want, but if you’re making up your own terminology no one is going to understand you.

At this point, you are just arguing to argue. Going in circles for semantics. If you don't have the common sense to understand at least my reference if even you don't agree with my terminology, I don't see why we should have this conversation anymore.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:36 am

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Acceleration is the ability to go into the next gear while running with pace. For example in Soccer, Messi has elite acceleration. No one is ever going to say he is as fast as Kylian Mbappe but everyone will say he can go into another gear regardless if he is altered in terms of direction. While Mbappe is more of a straight line speed guy. Rose mastered the ability to be moved into different directions and just get faster while the defender naturally slows down.

At this point, you are just arguing to argue. Going in circles for semantics. If you don't have the common sense to understand at least my reference if even you don't agree with my terminology, I don't see why we should have this conversation anymore.

I don’t think I’m arguing with you. It’s more that you’re talking and I’m correcting you. But I’m sorry you feel that way.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#210 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:37 am

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I don’t think I’m arguing with you. It’s more that you’re talking and I’m correcting you.

You are wrong, you aren't correcting ****. You are just arguing to argue. We have a disagreement on semantics but the points have been made and you avoided the topic all together. That's a prime example of the issue in this case.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:37 am

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Image

I don’t think I’m arguing with you. It’s more that you’re talking and I’m correcting you.

You are wrong, you aren't correcting ****. You are just arguing to argue.

That to me is arguing for the sake of arguing
King Ken
General Manager

Post#212 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:39 am

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

You are wrong, you aren't correcting ****. You are just arguing to argue.

The fact that you haven't addressed the actual post of the players and just continuing to ramble about semantics is the problem :noway:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 am

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:You are wrong, you aren't correcting ****. You are just arguing to argue.

The fact that you haven't addressed the actual post of the players and just continuing to ramble about semantics is the problem :noway:

I was addressing your post that was irrelevant to what we were talking about
King Ken
General Manager

Post#214 » by King Ken » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 am

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

You can argue your take and what not, here is my take: Please address this. Don't worry if you agree or not. It's not important as we clearly have different terms. I say soda, you say pop. Whatever.

Players with tremendous speed with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball and be faster than anyone and everyone.
Jeff Teague
Dennis S.
Bogues
The Jet Terry
Westbrook
Rose
Sexton
Fox
Morant
Wall
A.I.
etc

Players with tremendous acceleration with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball and go into another gear where others just can't react if in open court
LeBron
MJ
Wade
Wall
Fox
Westbrook
Rose
Sexton
Bledsoe
Zion
Giannis
Kidd
Devin Harris
Magic
Simmons
A.I.
etc

Players with tremendous quickness with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball in the half court and explode extremely quick in tight spaces without being stopped going to the paint.

Trae
MJ
Kyrie
Nash
IT0
Zeke
Westbrook
Prime Rose
Wall
Giannis
Simmons
A.I.
DeRozan
J.J. Berea
D. Mitchell
Wade
etc

Players with tremendous first step with the ball: This is the ability to just get the ball in the half court and explode passed you off the first step: Some guys are 2nd step guys like LeBron who 2nd step is usually beyond elite.

Trae
MJ
Kyrie
Lou Williams
IT0
Zeke
Westbrook
Prime Rose
Wall
Giannis
Kemba
A.I.
Dante Exum
D. Mitchell
Wade
Rondo
Lillard
Harden
Zion
Tim Hardaway Sr.
Rod Strickland
Dennis Smith Jr.
Francis
Arenas
Baron Davis
Monta Ellis
Dennis S
Andrew Toney
Tiny A.
T-Mac
etc

Monta clip with Lillard is perfect. You saw how as soon as he exploded with just the first step, he was already passed his defender in terms of angle. That's what an elite first step. You are done before another step is needed and you need help instantly. It's very hard to be an elite PG who's smaller without an elite first step.

doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 am

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:The fact that you haven't addressed the actual post of the players and just continuing to ramble about semantics is the problem :noway:

You can argue your take and what not, here is my take: Please address this. Don't worry if you agree or not. It's not important as we clearly have different terms. I say soda, you say pop. Whatever.

Jeff Teague
Dennis S.
Bogues
The Jet Terry
Westbrook
Rose
Sexton
Fox
Morant
Wall
A.I.
etc

LeBron
MJ
Wade
Wall
Fox
Westbrook
Rose
Sexton
Bledsoe
Zion
Giannis
Kidd
Devin Harris
Magic
Simmons
A.I.
etc

Trae
MJ
Kyrie
Nash
IT0
Zeke
Westbrook
Prime Rose
Wall
Giannis
Simmons
A.I.
DeRozan
J.J. Berea
D. Mitchell
Wade
etc

Trae
MJ
Kyrie
Lou Williams
IT0
Zeke
Westbrook
Prime Rose
Wall
Giannis
Kemba
A.I.
Dante Exum
D. Mitchell
Wade
Rondo
Lillard
Harden
Zion
Tim Hardaway Sr.
Rod Strickland
Dennis Smith Jr.
Francis
Arenas
Baron Davis
Monta Ellis
Dennis S
Andrew Toney
Tiny A.
T-Mac
etc

This post doesn’t make sense and is irrelevant to what we were talking about. And you pretty much hijacked the conversation to talk about your terminology.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#216 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 am

Ja reminds me of Paul George athletically.

Both lack the raw explosiveness, but more than make up for it with their fluidity and sudden athleticism.

Biggest questions still are the jumper and how much his approach to the game can mature.
KKP
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#217 » by KKP » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 am

Morant definitely 2, bears' on the draft! You should get Susni to raise it, without thinking
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#218 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am

It's different to be that athletic and fluid at near 6'10 than 6'3 though re:PG

Also, PG looked like a guy that would fill out nicely at Fresno St. he had a great frame, Morant has an okay frame, but 0 built real muscle compared to George
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#219 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Morant is actually really similar to a quick Chacho Rodríguez, Sergio had better shooting mechanics but not results, Morant is more explosive but still struggles to generate explosiveness without space (similarly to Sexton)

Not really sure what to do with him yet, the talent part is undeniable, the translation and projection is still pretty much up in the air
momo880
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#220 » by momo880 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm

I think in recent year the game is much different than 90' even 00'.
Now most of the guard won't need too many muscle.
Like Curry 6-3 190 or Lillard 6-3 195 Irving 6-3 193 even Westbrook is 6-3 200.
Too many muscle will impact shooting.
The most important is balance and core strength.
NBA team is very well in add muscle and strength for player.

Ja's had tremendous upside.
Ja had the crossover skill and feel for the space that Fox didn't had in collage.
I can see super fast crossover and good change speed than drive to the rim a little like Wade's drive form.
Even he didn't had enough strength to finish most ref will call foul.(we can see a lot of free throw every game.)
But most important is his pass skill that make he special.
A lot of pass is leading pass means he can see his teammate's and where the defense.

Ja's shooting form need to be more consistent but not broken like Josh Jackson or Dunn.
The most important issue for him is his right hand's ball handling skill.
Most of the time he only drive left and use left dribble.
When Ja want to crossover in small space, he lost his handle when change to right hand.
If he can't improve the right hand's ball handle skill that will be big issue when face NBA level defender.
But base for his grow up speed in those two year and his mature for fight I still believe he can fix the issue and be an All-Star.

Return to NBA Draft