Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Re: Temetrius "Ja" Morant 

Post#381 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 pm

^Can any point guard win a championship as the lead dog in today's game? That seems like an unreasonably high bar.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#382 » by jg77 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:16 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:^Can any point guard win a championship as the lead dog in today's game? That seems like an unreasonably high bar.

Curry accomplished it a few years ago
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#383 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 pm

jg77 wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:^Can any point guard win a championship as the lead dog in today's game? That seems like an unreasonably high bar.

Fair enough. Worth noting that it took a transformational talent to get it done, though.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#384 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 pm

jg77 wrote:

A championship takes a elite team who fits. You get an elite team, you will be close
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#385 » by The Box Office » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:10 am

Magic Johnson, Lakers.
Isiah Thomas, Pistons.

Those men can win in any era.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#386 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:21 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
jg77 wrote:

Fair enough. Worth noting that it took a transformational talent to get it done, though.

Why don't you think it can be done? It's certainly more plausable than a non-playmaking big. Look at Davis...his team wasn't even in the POs with him as the lead dog.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#387 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:04 am

The Box Office wrote:

Magic Johnson, Lakers.
Isiah Thomas, Pistons.

Magic Johnson, sure. But again, we’re talking about a transformational talent.

Isiah Thomas could not be the best player on a championship team in 2019.

Point being, “best player on a championship team” shouldn’t be your litmus test for a PG. Those guys are too rare.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#388 » by The Box Office » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:07 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
The Box Office wrote:

Magic Johnson, Lakers.
Isiah Thomas, Pistons.

Point being, “best player on a championship team” shouldn’t be your litmus test for a PG. Those guys are too rare.

Ok. So? Having a Franchise player at any position is rare. Seems like you don't want a PG leading the Bulls again like Derrick Rose did. Eh. I hope we get the 2nd pick and get Ja Morant. Zion will be on the Bulls anyway in a few years (demanding a trade/free agency). The key is Ja to make it work.

Morant, right now, is producing stats like MVP Westbrook. That's crazy scary. Young Derrick Rose didn't do it like that.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#389 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:14 am

The Box Office wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
The Box Office wrote:
Magic Johnson, Lakers.
Isiah Thomas, Pistons.

Ok. So? Having a Franchise player at any position is rare. Seems like you don't want a PG leading the Bulls again like Derrick Rose did. Eh. I hope we get the 2nd pick and get Ja Morant. Zion will be on the Bulls anyway in a few years (demanding a trade/free agency). The key is Ja to make it work.

Morant, right now, is producing stats like MVP Westbrook. That's crazy scary. Young Derrick Rose didn't do it like that.

Maybe you’re misunderstanding me. I’m not making a case against Morant. I like him a lot.

I’m responding to the poster who said he doesn’t see Trae as a lead dog on a championship team, as if that’s an indictment of his talent. For a PG it isn’t. That’s my point.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#390 » by King Ken » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:39 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
The Box Office wrote:

Magic Johnson, Lakers.
Isiah Thomas, Pistons.

Zeke Thomas would have played the game differently in 2019 than he did in 1984.

I disagree with you. Trae could be your lead dog. Steph can be your lead dawg. Zeke was your lead dog. Ja could be your lead dog.

All of the lead dogs are transformational players in their primes but its about the squad they put around that guy. There was a time no one thought MJ would ever win ****. But the Bulls got Pippen and the supporting cast. You need a team to win. No one is winning by themselves outside of bigs in the 70s-90s and whenever the league got deep, you really needed a squad.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#391 » by Upperclass » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:21 am

He reminds me of a taller TJ Ford
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#392 » by NotACat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Upperclass wrote:He reminds me of a taller TJ Ford

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time...
Black Lives Matter
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#393 » by Dat2U » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:21 pm

The Box Office wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
The Box Office wrote:
Magic Johnson, Lakers.
Isiah Thomas, Pistons.

Ja is a true PG. He's more Wall than Westbrook or Rose. He's not as big as Wall was coming out but his handle & court vision are more advanced than Wall. That's what makes him special. He's really making the players around him better which is rare for his age. I can only think of Magic, Chris Paul & Jason Kidd who were this advanced at an early age.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,860

Post#394 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Ja ever dunk off 1 foot in a game?

Seems to be mostly all 2-feet which makes me think he’s not really close to being on that Rose/Westbrook/Wall tier athletically. Below D Fox too.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#395 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:41 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Ja ever dunk off 1 foot in a game?

Seems to be mostly all 2-feet which makes me think he’s not really close to being on that Rose/Westbrook/Wall tier athletically. Below D Fox too.

Those first 3 guys came into the league much more explosive and heavier . Fox was skinny but a speed demon and fearless finisher against high-end NCAA talent

I feel like Ja needs a wider/solid frame to be able to play his style of game in the NBA. He’s not actually a great finisher at the rim by the numbers, which is worrisome considering he is rarely ever going against legit NBA-level rim protectors.

Generally speaking Morant seems like he doesn’t like physical contact . Idk how that will play out at the NBA level. I thought Trae Young was similar, but his toughness is underrated and he’s very crafty at foul drawing. Plus his jumpshot threat really allows him to create space if you try to body him.

Morant wants to play like Westbrook/Wall but has the physique of Jeff Teague.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#396 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm

i love how people act like all of these guys you're talking about in the NBA looked like they do now in college? do you guys not remember how skinny Fox was in college?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#397 » by Dat2U » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Ja ever dunk off 1 foot in a game?

Those first 3 guys came into the league much more explosive and heavier . Fox was skinny but a speed demon and fearless finisher against high-end NCAA talent

I feel like Ja needs a wider/solid frame to be able to play his style of game in the NBA. He’s not actually a great finisher at the rim by the numbers, which is worrisome considering he is rarely ever going against legit NBA-level rim protectors.

Generally speaking Morant seems like he doesn’t like physical contact . Idk how that will play out at the NBA level. I thought Trae Young was similar, but his toughness is underrated and he’s very crafty at foul drawing. Plus his jumpshot threat really allows him to create space if you try to body him.

Morant wants to play like Westbrook/Wall but has the physique of Jeff Teague.

It's called lacking core strength. The most fixable flaw a basketball player can have. No he's not built like Wall or Westbrook but he also has significant skill advantages over both coming out.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,860

Post#398 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:08 pm

clyde21 wrote:i love how people act like all of these guys you're talking about in the NBA looked like they do now in college? do you guys not remember how skinny Fox was in college?

Fox was skinny but there was also tape of him bounding off 1 leg and getting his head up by the backboard.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#399 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:12 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i love how people act like all of these guys you're talking about in the NBA looked like they do now in college? do you guys not remember how skinny Fox was in college?

Fox was skinny but there was also tape of him bounding off 1 leg and getting his head up by the backboard.

okay? we're gonna pretend that Fox is out here in the NBA dunking over everyone?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#400 » by doordoor123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:51 pm

It’s crazy his handle was so loose at the start of the season and he wouldn’t get low, but his stance dribbling got much better and his handle got tighter. I’m impressed he corrected it in such a short amount of time.

Return to NBA Draft