Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Temetrius "Ja" Morant 

Post#41 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Fischella wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
The-Power wrote:If he's fully recovered by the time the pre-draft workouts start – so what? He might drop a few spots because he can't showcase his skills but no team will place him that much lower on their draft-board come draft night compared to where they rank him now. This only happens if his recovery is somehow in doubt. Poor asset management would be to draft a greatly talented player way past his healthy value just because he suffered a torn meniscus. If you had him as a mid-or even late-lotto prospect, for instance, there's no way you should let him fall into late in the first round unless there are clear medical red flags.

I would never value a players hs and college showcased skill and initial upside over my projections based on physical health , medical history and upside afterwards.
If he proves to be healthy it doesn't reestablish his former value...that requires proof over a season of playing without complications.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

When is the last time a lead guard prospect coming off a lost season from surgery went higher than 25?!
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,797

Post#42 » by Jcool0 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:18 am

doordoor123 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Is this a guy who's going to come out of nowhere and wind up a top 7 pick this year?

No

This has NOT aged well.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#43 » by PLO » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:26 am

Jcool0 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Is this a guy who's going to come out of nowhere and wind up a top 7 pick this year?

No

This has NOT aged well.

Way too early for a "gotcha!" post.

He's pretty one-dimensional as an attacker IMO, but having said that he's fantastic in that one area.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,797

Post#44 » by Jcool0 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:31 am

PLO wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
No

This has NOT aged well.

He's pretty one-dimensional as an attacker IMO, but having said that he's fantastic in that one area.

Yeah way to early... :roll:

Read on Twitter
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#45 » by PLO » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:33 am

That list has him 10th, and this is not a good draft.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#46 » by nolang1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:47 am

Stillwater wrote:
Fischella wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I would never value a players hs and college showcased skill and initial upside over my projections based on physical health , medical history and upside afterwards.
If he proves to be healthy it doesn't reestablish his former value...that requires proof over a season of playing without complications.

When is the last time a lead guard prospect coming off a lost season from surgery went higher than 25?!

Off the top of my head I can think of CJ McCollum and Kyrie Irving getting drafted high off worse injuries than a meniscus tear, but you've made your point that you believe that a meniscus tear is a grave, career-threatening injury that makes any player who suffers one undraftable. No need to keep hijacking a thread about a completely different player.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:00 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Off the top of my head I can think of CJ McCollum and Kyrie Irving getting drafted high off worse injuries than a meniscus tear, but you've made your point that you believe that a meniscus tear is a grave, career-threatening injury that makes any player who suffers one undraftable. No need to keep hijacking a thread about a completely different player.

Irving had turf toe nothing more and is at minimum was overcautious regards to any set backs and nobody had Lehigh MC going any sooner anyway.
But you're right the is the Ja frequency on your dial
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#48 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
PLO wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
This has NOT aged well.

Yeah way to early... :roll:

Read on Twitter

First of all, he still doesn’t deserve to be a top 10 pick. He might be one, but only because this draft is so weak. Plus I don’t trust many others evaluations, specifically from ESPN (Even though Draftexpress took over). They tend to be heavily influenced by outside entities and often ride the wave when someone is doing well. They don’t take into account how different the NBA is and what it takes to translate. They still have Romeo Langford too high as well.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#49 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm

These guys have Romeo as the 6th pick and Doumbouya as the 8th pick. Why the hell are you using them a credible and documented opinion?
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#50 » by GimmeDat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:These guys have Romeo as the 6th pick and Doumbouya as the 8th pick. Why the hell are you using them a credible and documented opinion?

I don't think that's a super controversial ranking for either. That's not where I would have them personally, but I don't think it discredits them to have those guys ranked where they are.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#51 » by GimmeDat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 pm

I think Morant can be a top 10 pick, for sure. Yes, the lack of PG quality in this draft helps, but I think I had him a smidge above Garland personally before the injury, and many pegged him as a fringe top 10 guy.

He's uber-athletic, he's got great passing/vision, a much improved 3 point stroke, great finisher with both hands, tools and competitiveness defensively. Yes, he's got a lot to refine, but if he refines it all he's a pretty damn well rounded PG.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#52 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:These guys have Romeo as the 6th pick and Doumbouya as the 8th pick. Why the hell are you using them a credible and documented opinion?

?

Doesn't seem that outrageous to me.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#53 » by EMG518 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:25 am

clyde21 wrote:

?

what about Barrett 2 and Little 3
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 am

EMG518 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

?

what about Barrett 2 and Little 3

No?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#55 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think Morant can be a top 10 pick, for sure. Yes, the lack of PG quality in this draft helps, but I think I had him a smidge above Garland personally before the injury, and many pegged him as a fringe top 10 guy.

He's uber-athletic, he's got great passing/vision, a much improved 3 point stroke, great finisher with both hands, tools and competitiveness defensively. Yes, he's got a lot to refine, but if he refines it all he's a pretty damn well rounded PG.

Uber athletic? He can't jump for god's sake and is 175 at nearly 6'4 what are we talking about?

Talk about exaggeration
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#56 » by GimmeDat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:08 am

Fischella wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think Morant can be a top 10 pick, for sure. Yes, the lack of PG quality in this draft helps, but I think I had him a smidge above Garland personally before the injury, and many pegged him as a fringe top 10 guy.

Uber athletic? He can't jump for god's sake and is 175 at nearly 6'4 what are we talking about?

Talk about exaggeration

Can't jump? Sure thing.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#57 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Fischella wrote:

Talk about exaggeration

Can't jump? Sure thing.

off one foot? he gets no elevation in traffic whatsoever, if you add that up to his slight frame/lack of strength (little to no 0 improvement there from his frosh year), and his fluky pull-up, you get a guy that is going to have trouble been efficient/good at finishing, even with his nice and cute arm extensions

he can jump fine off two or when he has space to load up, like... almost every NBA player? the important part is been quick off the floor and been able to elevate off one foot while driving, and he can't

also, he is physical and tries, but he is a damn ball-watch on D and with his lack of strength he is gonna get buried, competitiveness is fine and I wont fault him much due to the offensive load he carries, but he projects as a big negative on D

I am not downing Ja, he is just a project and likely a guy that you want to get 4 years into his NBA career and not as a rookie, so it's hard to attach much value to him in the draft since he is most likely a 2nd team type guy, esp considering his physique and shooting woes

Strength is so freaking underrated
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#58 » by GimmeDat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:30 am

Fischella wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Fischella wrote:Uber athletic? He can't jump for god's sake and is 175 at nearly 6'4 what are we talking about?

Talk about exaggeration

Can't jump? Sure thing.

off one foot? he gets no elevation in traffic whatsoever, if you add that up to his slight frame/lack of strength (little to no 0 improvement there from his frosh year), and his fluky pull-up, you get a guy that is going to have trouble been efficient/good at finishing, even with his nice and cute arm extensions

he can jump fine off two or when he has space to load up, like... almost every NBA player? the important part is been quick off the floor and been able to elevate off one foot while driving, and he can't

also, he is physical and tries, but he is a damn ball-watch on D and with his lack of strength he is gonna get buried, competitiveness is fine and I wont fault him much due to the offensive load he carries, but he projects as a big negative on D

I am not downing Ja, he is just a project and likely a guy that you want to get 4 years into his NBA career and not as a rookie, so it's hard to attach much value to him in the draft since he is most likely a 2nd team type guy, esp considering his physique and shooting woes

Strength is so freaking underrated

I agree he has his athletic flaws, like most do, but I think overall it's still hard to watch him and say he's not a ++ athlete. Agree he's better off 2 (of which he's in the top few %tile), and I think that has it's merit functionally, but I also think I've seen positive examples of him off 1 foot in space, I think it's more the physicality of the traffic that he struggles with. It is a legitimate concern, and physically he is absolutely a project in that sense, but I would hope that in a few years he's filled out and can compete physically more. If he can do that, I believe he's functionally athletic, and skilled enough as a finisher, to be efficient at the rim.

He ball watches, I'll give you that, but there's a lot of young guys with bad defensive tendencies, I think he's got enough going for him on that end that he potential on that end. If he doesn't improve his habits on that end, sure, he'll be a liability, but if that's the biggest knock we can put on him outside of his frame, then I don't think it's the worst flaw.

All in all, I agree, he's a project, but given the (lack of) strength of the draft in terms of upside, I think he slides in to the top 10, especially given the lack of PG's. He's got a small frame but I think he can build it up in time, at least be like a Dennis Schroder-esque physique, which is on the lean side but passable imo. Also re: the shooting, I feel pretty optimistic - he's not there yet, but so far from what we've seen he's made great strides from last season, and he looks comfortable off the dribble. Verdict's still out but I like what I've seen so far, just gotta be consistent.

I get the 2nd contract argument, but I think there's enough value heading in to the end of his rookie deal, as well as the leverage that you have moving forward in retaining or dealing a player, that I still rate him highly draft wise.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#59 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am

Schröder is just a different athlete, wiry strong, long fibers (think Rondo or Fox, you could see it with Schröder going back to the Nike Hoop Summit, even though he was like 165lbs at 6'1, the guy had muscle definition, Morant is not even lean) Morant has more finesse as a finisher but Dennis is def quicker off the ground and more explosive, I think you are overrating Morant as an athlete some

I just don't know what Morant does for you as a starter, let alone a star, he is a good passer in transition and when he gets to the hoop, but he is gonna have trouble playing as fast in the NBA, even with the quicker pace, you gotta be able to play at different speeds, and he is also not going to be able to make plays in PnR if he can't shoot it well with his athletic/strength limitations

The pull-up to me remains concerning, his release last year was weird and not all that functional, and even though it has cleaned up some, it still has a weird release point and he needs space to pull it off, I think it's going to take him time, and he needs it right away imo

He likely goes in the lotto due to age/production/hype/lack of premium Guards, not negating that, but he is long term project and I don't see the value picking him up that high really, even in this class

Again, I think the athletic evaluation is key, and even though he is quick, flashy and rangy, I have a hard time seeing him putting on enough strength to ever be functional, and as a back-up type there are more interesting players out there (with added versatility)

It's not even about habits on D, he is going to get bullied by a whole lot of PGs and has no real versatility on that end

I think people need to believe that there are stars in every class somehow, and when nobody is an obvious one they end up fabricating those, not knocking Morant as a prospect (I mean I opened this thread a year ago) but I have a hard time seeing him as a stud
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#60 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Fischella wrote:

Talk about exaggeration

You have got to be kidding me
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Return to NBA Draft