Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

Post#41 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Those 6'6 type PGs haven't worked out too well recently - Carter-Williams, Exum, Ntilikina.

I disagree. Carter-Williams was way overdrafted because his draft had no point guards. Exum has been really good defensively, but has had injury issues and hasn’t played a full season yet. Ntilikina looks really good defensively and looks like he’s going to be a good player in the future. Both Exum and Ntilikina were two of the youngest players in their draft. Both Exum and Ntilikina were rawish type of prospects.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#42 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:39 pm

I know it's a weird comparison but I few him similar as Tyreke Evans. I think once in the NBA he's not really going to have a position but if he can continue to improve his game and finds a team that knows how to use him. I think he can become a good starter or some kind of super sub like Evans is these days.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#43 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm

dante exum, but more aggressive and further along as a scorer despite being 4 years younger. shoots a set shot from three, not really explosive athletically, thin, adequate passer who can play the 1 and the 2, long, and gets to the bucket and finishes. would take him on the Jazz in the mid to late first in a heartbeat.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#44 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 pm

He plays like a 6'6" George Hill. I really like him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#45 » by Upperclass » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 am

He's Patty McCaw to me.. I dont see impact in the league. Maybe he could end up as current Shaun Livingston.. but idk if thats a lotto pick
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:53 am

Upperclass wrote:He's Patty McCaw to me.. I dont see impact in the league. Maybe he could end up as current Shaun Livingston.. but idk if thats a lotto pick

Tyus Battle reminds me of Patrick McCaw, but his face looks like Jordan Bell (they have the same nose)
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#47 » by Upperclass » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Lol yeah I noticed that too. Dude kinda looks like one of those snapchat mashups of two different faces.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#48 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Dinwiddie like?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm surprised people don't have a higher regard for him. Nobody in the country that I know of has stepped up their performance more in their last 9 or 10 games than he has.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#50 » by SBM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't have a comparison. I don't think he dominates the NBA anytime soon even though I like him as a college player. He seems better than those Harrison twins that recently played for Kentucky but I am not sure.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:08 am

Do people still think he’s quick enough to guard NBA athletes? I am just not sure I see his defense translating. A lot like Carter-Williams. Brown just killed Shai just by driving by him and Kansas State was doing it all game. He just doesn’t have the foot speed and doesn’t recover well.
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#52 » by GIMME_DATT » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 am

Look like mcw out there

No thanks
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,666

Post#53 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:08 am

Amazing how quickly some turn sour on a 19 year old after a bad game.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#54 » by DirtyDez » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:10 am

He’s a guy I’d love to see come back even though it won’t happen. Cal wouldn’t let him even if he wanted to.

Green/Johnson/Quickley is going to be interesting.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
The Master
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,493

Post#55 » by The Master » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 am

Negrodamus wrote:Amazing how quickly some turn sour on a 19 year old after a bad game.

I think it's more a good reminder of his limitations.

He's definitely not athletic enough to be elite slasher on his position and breaking the defense nor he's solid shooter (in fact right now it's hard to call him a shooter at all) to be a great fit for modern game. He can have good impact as a defender, but there are few guys in a league with really big impact on D from 1-2 position. He's still tall and has great feel for a game (the difference between him and MCW), but his limitations are huge.

So after all, there's nothing more than late lotto pick I think if someone needs PG prospect while some people started to think about him being something more than that.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:19 am

Negrodamus wrote:Amazing how quickly some turn sour on a 19 year old after a bad game.

Well I’ve always questioned his footspeed as a defender and I haven’t seen really seen him against a quick aggressive point guard in a while. Seeing Shai get dominated play after play really aligned the pieces for me. His defense is really a lot like Michael Carter-Williams. At the same time Michael Carter-Williams on offense, if he had a jumper and a jumper game he would probably be much better. All I’m saying is that his defense doesn’t look like it will have the same effect in the NBA.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#57 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am

doordoor123 wrote:

Well I’ve always questioned his footspeed as a defender and I haven’t seen really seen him against a quick aggressive point guard in a while. Seeing Shai get dominated play after play really aligned the pieces for me. His defense is really a lot like Michael Carter-Williams. At the same time Michael Carter-Williams on offense, if he had a jumper and a jumper game he would probably be much better. All I’m saying is that his defense doesn’t look like it will have the same effect in the NBA.

Well, he’s not an NBA point guard.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Yeah he’s a shooting guard, but he’s not a game changeing shooting guard defensively. He’s not going to add much defensively to say a team like the Nuggets (where he tends to be mocked). He’s a Roleplayer.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#59 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Yeah he’s a shooting guard, but he’s not a game changeing shooting guard defensively. He’s not going to add much defensively to say a team like the Nuggets (where he tends to be mocked). He’s a Roleplayer.

Once again, 12 months ago he was at prom. He is, no doubt, going to take some time to develop his shot and put some serious weight on his frame. Yes, the University of Kentucky Shai Gilgeous Alexander would struggle in the NBA. But part of job in scouting is projecting what he could be in 2-3 years down the road. Judging by his personality, I like his chances.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Once again, 12 months ago he was at prom. He is, no doubt, going to take some time to develop his shot and put some serious weight on his frame. Yes, the University of Kentucky Shai Gilgeous Alexander would struggle in the NBA. But part of job in scouting is projecting what he could be in 2-3 years down the road. Judging by his personality, I like his chances.

I’m not talking about putting on weight, I’m talking about footspeed.

Return to NBA Draft