Kevin Knox

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Kevin Knox 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 2:58 am

Curious about what people think of Knox. A lot of things he does reminds me of a bigger Donovan Mitchell. The nice floater, good mechanics on his jumper. Doesn't have the ballhandling, but I'm a big fan from what little I've seen. Any reason he's not projected higher? I usually see him between 9-12.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Re: Kevin Knox 

Post#2 » by PLO » Thu Jan 4, 2018 3:44 am

With all due respect, "a bigger Donovan Mitchell" is not something I ever expected to read when describing Kevin Knox.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 4:28 am

PLO wrote:With all due respect, "a bigger Donovan Mitchell" is not something I ever expected to read when describing Kevin Knox.

Just in terms of the floater and ability to hit an outside jumper given space (his mechanics need a bit of work) and IMO his upside at the tail end of the lottery. I guess that's not really all that much. I would *I guess* compare him to young Marvin Williams but he seems to have a bit more to his game than Marv did.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#4 » by Catchall » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:40 am

He looks like he'll be a good pro. He considers himself a big wing, but can play either forward position. He just needs to work more on his handle and his consistency shooting the ball.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
evtki
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#5 » by evtki » Thu Jan 4, 2018 6:13 am

He reminds me of Trevor Ariza. Big, lanky wing player who can defend some guards and small forwards with stretch 4 potential. That would be his best pro comp to me with potential to produce more than Ariza in the right system of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 4, 2018 8:27 am

I’m kind of all over the place with Knox.
He needs to keep hit shot consistent, but he doesn’t have the discipline to shoot out of a shooting slump. This can be scary because it can mean he’ll always be a inconsistent shooter. What’s impressive about his shot is that he can shoot off the screen or off of spot up (room to grow off the dribble). Not a lot of 6’9 guys can shoot off of screens and move well off-ball.
When he’s hot he’s an offensive threat. He can run north/south, but doesn’t have good hip flexibility. He’s long enough where he could defend the wing, but he’ll get killed by quicker guys. He’s a good passer in transition, but not much in the half-court and he can rebound.
I could see him at either forward spot, but I think PF will become his role over time.
His ability can make him valuable if he can shoot consistently. And from there he has a lot of upside. To me he’s more an upside pick than current potential. If someone believes in his potential he can be a lottery pick, if not he’s probably a middle first.
Personally think he would be great in a fast-pace offense like the Pacers, but I have this searing sensation if the Clippers pick is low they’ll take him.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#7 » by logical_art » Thu Jan 4, 2018 9:14 am

Reminds me of Paul George.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#8 » by The-Power » Sat Jan 6, 2018 8:53 pm

He reminds me of a poor man's Jayson Tatum at times. He can definitely be a valuable player in the NBA but he has to improve in all areas.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#9 » by Justwar » Sat Jan 6, 2018 10:55 pm

I think it's something like Michael Beasley if he always kept his mind right.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#10 » by sipclip » Sun Jan 7, 2018 4:47 am

Rudy Gay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using RealGM mobile app
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#11 » by PLO » Sun Jan 7, 2018 10:02 am

He's a smooth mover but isn't exactly ferociously athletic. Maybe that will come with time, its certainly on his side. I doubt he cracks the top 10 though.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#12 » by stitches » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:52 pm

My comparison for him is Otto Porter. Long athlete, who has a little bit of wiggle, but not enough to be a primary option and has good shot and attacks closeouts well...
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#13 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Shoots under 33% from 3 which is a problem because that looks like his role.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm

I kind of wonder if there is something beyond basketball that’s wrong with him. Like maybe he’s not happy at Kentucky. Maybe he’s having trouble playing and paying attention to school work.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#15 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:40 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I kind of wonder if there is something beyond basketball that’s wrong with him. Like maybe he’s not happy at Kentucky. Maybe he’s having trouble playing and paying attention to school work.

Why do you say that
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I kind of wonder if there is something beyond basketball that’s wrong with him. Like maybe he’s not happy at Kentucky. Maybe he’s having trouble playing and paying attention to school work.

Why do you say that

When I watch him sometimes he’s not mentally in the game. And it may correlate with his sometimes poor play.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#17 » by Justwar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:36 pm

That burden is probably because ky lacks shooters so they can over play him. He'll benefit though once Vanderbilt comes in because Vanderbilt will allow more people to play off ball
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#18 » by GimmeDat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Feels lik all tools to me right now. You'd project him to be a guy that can shoot and defend at a high level with his tools, but he isn't doing either at a high level right now in college. He looks like he should be more athletic than the moves he makes on the court, whether he's just an overrated athlete without much bounce or explosion (as other said, just long/smooth) or a lack of aggression.

I think on paper he has all the tools to be a top 7-8 guy but he just seems a bit disengaged, unaggressive, and doesn't seem like he has a great feel or BBIQ. A bit of fools gold, perhaps, but the potential upside justifies a lottery selection for sure.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#19 » by Catchall » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 pm

I think his stock will heat up when he gets measured and gets into workouts. He's one of the younger guys in this draft and just 18 years old right now. Between college and the draft he's likely to work on his body and improve his game.

UK isn't a terribly disciplined team right now. Guys like Diallo and Gilgeous-Alexander are hunting shots with the ball in their hands and looking for Knox to spot up rather than getting him great looks or letting him roll to the rim.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#20 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Not a fan. Good size and will be able to shoot in time, but just not sure there's a whole lot to like here.

Doesn't have the fluidity+skill+athleticism to be much of a self creating scorer. Straight line handler who lacks both in first step and explosion+ physicality at the rim in any sort of traffic. Forced to rely a lot on his step back J and floater game because of this.

Age is on his side, but he isn't underdeveloped like some young wing/combo forwards are so I question how much untapped athleticism he has.

I agree with most here that say his offensive skills profile much better to the 4, but he has a long way to go defensively to have any future at that position, especially when you consider his lack of great length and athleticism. For example, Al Farouq Aminu is at best slightly above average defensively at the 4 w/ better tools, instincts and competitiveness (minus maybe frame).

With all that being said, it's hard to drop him out of the top 20 based on age, size and shooting potential. Just not high on his upside and he's quite far from reaching it.

Return to NBA Draft