Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cheesin
Freshman
And1: 84

If Porter Jr doesn't play a game.. 

Post#1 » by Cheesin » Sat Feb 3, 2018 10:31 pm

would you still consider him at #1?

He's the #1 talent imo I think his ceiling is highest. He has take over a game by himself potential..That alpha player you need to win a championship.

Trae Young is the only other guy in this draft that has that alpha Kobe type mentality, but he's too short and makes too many mistakes.

Porter Jr is my #1 guy even if he doesn't play
AJ3
Sophomore
And1: 63

Re: If Porter Jr doesn't play a game.. 

Post#2 » by AJ3 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 10:41 pm

It's a risk with the type of injury he has had.

Also i don't know how much you know about Luka but he also has the ability to take over the game, but in a different way he exerts incredible control over the flow and breaks down defenses.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#3 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Feb 3, 2018 11:33 pm

The IMO he should play his sophomore year.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#4 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Feb 3, 2018 11:35 pm

Same.

Said it a million times but him and Doncic are my favorite players in the draft and if I could only pick one it would be MP Jr.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Jaw
Bench Warmer
And1: 466

Post#5 » by Jaw » Sun Feb 4, 2018 2:01 am

I think he definitely has to be in the conversation since I regard him as the best offensive talent in the draft. Additionally, I think in today's NBA bigmen aren't quite as valuable as wings/guards for their inability to create off the dribble as frequently (a good center can create from the post but it typically slows things down, doesn't have as much spacing and are reliant on other guys getting them the ball in advantageous situations).

If it weren't for the injury I think he'd be the #1 pick. With the injury it opens the door for Ayton, Bagley, and Doncic who I think are similar tier prospect (I could see a team taking Young if they are very desperate at PG).

A lot of the mock drafts I've seen have Doncic first. Neither Porter or Doncic are elite athletes but Porter has the advantage of being bigger and longer meaning he won't have to rely as heavily on his athleticism. Porter of course has the injury risk since back issues can easily be chronic and many athletes haven't been the same after similar injuries.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#6 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Feb 4, 2018 3:06 am

100% depends on workouts.

If a team falls in love with him after seeing him fully healthy he can still go top 3.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#7 » by brackdan70 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 3:43 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:The IMO he should play his sophomore year.

what do think are the chances he does this. Seems like he could slip out of the top 5 in this draft. Next years draft is a little weaker...he could easily be #1.
Sign here
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#8 » by baldur » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:24 am

He is going to be 21 next year. Might be a factor.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#9 » by PLO » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:27 am

Its just going to come down to whether teams think there's a decent chance his back issue will become chronic or not. This is a stacked draft but just on talent he's top 3 in it. Teams have been scouting these guys for years so they know what MPJ offers, they've seen him play against guys like Marvin Bagley. I think there's a chance some teams take him off their boards altogether so he could conceivably fall outside the top 5 or even further. Everything is dependent on his medical evaluation and how teams think that impacts his long-term outlook.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#10 » by GameBredAPBT » Sun Feb 4, 2018 9:50 am

brackdan70 wrote:

what do think are the chances he does this. Seems like he could slip out of the top 5 in this draft. Next years draft is a little weaker...he could easily be #1.

Only he can answer this. He's a big Bulls fan (and I've heard Hoiberg is real high on him) & may not want to risk them not being a top 5 lotto team in 2019.

If his back is proving to be problematic, I can't see him not declaring for this year. They won't want to risk him looking poor as a sophomore. If pride gets the best of him, I think he'll want to actually play basketball in college. I can't imagine how crushing this injury must've been on his spirit. Gotta factor that in as well. The kid was so pumped to bring success to Mizzou.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#11 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Feb 4, 2018 10:17 am

After dealing with Derrick Favors back and knee problems, I wouldn't touch MPjr with a ten foot pole. Favors was a really promising young player 3 years ago. Then one game he went out with a sore back. That's all we heard. Expected him out for a game or 2, and next thing you know he was out for a month, came back for a while, and then out for a month again. Next year, same thing except with knee problems.

I want nothing to do with back problems and I wouldn't take him unless he slid down to 7 or 8 even. At that point he's worth the gamble, but before that I think I'd bet on somebody else.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#12 » by ahartleyvu » Sun Feb 4, 2018 3:04 pm

He will stay in the draft. The draft is about 7-8 deep I feel like. He probably goes anywhere from 5-9 in my opinion.

Will he be ready and healthy for draft work outs?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:44 pm

I know it's not going to happen but I wish Michael Porter would come back and play one year for Missouri.

He and little brother Jontae can have a fun year and they can maybe win the SEC.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: If Porter Jr doesn't play a game.. 

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:44 pm

He would actually be a redshirt freshman but I agree.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: If Porter Jr doesn't play a game.. 

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 4, 2018 4:45 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:After dealing with Derrick Favors back and knee problems, I wouldn't touch MPjr with a ten foot pole. Favors was a really promising young player 3 years ago. Then one game he went out with a sore back. That's all we heard. Expected him out for a game or 2, and next thing you know he was out for a month, came back for a while, and then out for a month again. Next year, same thing except with knee problems.

I want nothing to do with back problems and I wouldn't take him unless he slid down to 7 or 8 even. At that point he's worth the gamble, but before that I think I'd bet on somebody else.
Neither would I if I were general manager.

Look at what's going on with Harry Giles.

Bye bye Beal.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Sun Feb 4, 2018 6:06 pm

ahartleyvu wrote:He will stay in the draft. The draft is about 7-8 deep I feel like. He probably goes anywhere from 5-9 in my opinion.

Will he be ready and healthy for draft work outs?

He's ready to play right now. First back surgery to repair herniated disc is at most an 8 week layoff before you are 100% cleared to play.

It was quite obvious to me when they said he was going to be out for the year that Porter doesn't want to risk re-injuring his back before the draft which would destroy his draft prospects. So he decided to sit out the year and take his chances in pre draft workouts. Nothing wrong with that decision, not worth risking his entire future on half a season of college basketball.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#17 » by CptCrunch » Sun Feb 4, 2018 6:21 pm

We have too many people getting high on the fantasies of high school Porter Jr.

Newsflash: many players never adjust to college and look like crap against better competition

Newsflash: microdiscectomy surgery on L3-L4 spinal discs is NOT a good injury to have, this has good chances of becoming a recurring issue

He is not draftable in the early lotto, 8+ pick at best
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#18 » by ItsThatEasy » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:03 pm

What exactly is so enticing about Porter Jr. at this point?
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#19 » by PLO » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:37 pm

paulbball wrote:We have too many people getting high on the fantasies of high school Porter Jr.

Newsflash: many players never adjust to college and look like crap against better competition

Newsflash: microdiscectomy surgery on L3-L4 spinal discs is NOT a good injury to have, this has good chances of becoming a recurring issue

He is not draftable in the early lotto, 8+ pick at best

As I said above I would not be surprised if some teams take him off their boards altogether, especially in the top 10 in this loaded draft.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#20 » by yoyoboy » Tue Feb 6, 2018 8:08 am

Yeah back injuries are no joke. It's pretty damn risky to take him in the top 5, but I have no doubt a team will due to his perceived offensive upside. The absolute latest he goes is 7. No team is going to pick Sexton, Carter, or Bridges ahead of MPJ.

Return to NBA Draft