Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: If Porter Jr doesn't play a game.. 

Post#61 » by Kolkmania » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am

Alatan wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
Alatan wrote:I never liked these long guys without agility and with bad ballhandling skills. His body allready not being able to handle his athletic ability is also a bad sign. The only thing he has going for him is his shooting but even so im not that high on him.

Watch Kevin Durant play in high school, definitely not the fairly athletic guy who's comfortable with the ball in his hands he is right now. Dismissing Michael Porter for having poor ball handling skills while being 19 year old is foolish imo, it's certainly an aspect that can be improved with enough training hours.

It will be really interesting what happens with Michael Porter. His combination of shooting off the dribble, high release point and being 6'10'' is deadly. He and Trae Young are probably the only players with the potential to become a legit #1 scoring option in the NBA, maybe add Doncic if his shooting is real.

He does have scoring instincts but he moves a little awkwardly with the ball and has a high dribble without much wiggle. I think he will be able to be a scorer in the NBA but not as a 1st option. I need to see more of him to give him any praise. He was really underwhelming in the all american game and high school doesnt really matter when he can shoot over anyone.

The chance that he'll never be a legit 1st option is certainly bigger than when he does. But IF he does develop into one, he has the potential to become the best player in this draft. I absolutely agree that his handle isn't good enough yet, on top of that he gets tunnel vision at times and I don't know what to think of him defensively because he never tried at Nathan Hale.

The bolded part is what makes him unique imo, because I absolutely believe this will be the case in the NBA as well,certainly in the modern NBA with the wings becoming smaller and more skilled. I wouldn't focus too much on those games, sample size really small. I remember Jayson Tatum bricking in those games as well.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Post#62 » by Alatan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Alatan wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:Watch Kevin Durant play in high school, definitely not the fairly athletic guy who's comfortable with the ball in his hands he is right now. Dismissing Michael Porter for having poor ball handling skills while being 19 year old is foolish imo, it's certainly an aspect that can be improved with enough training hours.

It will be really interesting what happens with Michael Porter. His combination of shooting off the dribble, high release point and being 6'10'' is deadly. He and Trae Young are probably the only players with the potential to become a legit #1 scoring option in the NBA, maybe add Doncic if his shooting is real.

He does have scoring instincts but he moves a little awkwardly with the ball and has a high dribble without much wiggle. I think he will be able to be a scorer in the NBA but not as a 1st option. I need to see more of him to give him any praise. He was really underwhelming in the all american game and high school doesnt really matter when he can shoot over anyone.

The chance that he'll never be a legit 1st option is certainly bigger than when he does. But IF he does develop into one, he has the potential to become the best player in this draft. I absolutely agree that his handle isn't good enough yet, on top of that he gets tunnel vision at times and I don't know what to think of him defensively because he never tried at Nathan Hale.

The bolded part is what makes him unique imo, because I absolutely believe this will be the case in the NBA as well,certainly in the modern NBA with the wings becoming smaller and more skilled. I wouldn't focus too much on those games, sample size really small. I remember Jayson Tatum bricking in those games as well.

Yeah, im not focusing too much on those games but they are the closes thing to real competition he has had. I agree that he has a decent chance to develop better handles but i never liked these tall guys with long legs and shorter arms as ball handlers. The long legs make their center of gravity high and screw up their balance while the short arms make their dribble high or force them to hunch too much yet again screwing up their balance. There are guys that manage to overcome these issues but they are not that many. Being a taller player also affects the players coordination so they have it even harder. Thats why players like KD and Giannis are unicorns IMO.
Hook_Em
Rookie
And1: 756

Post#63 » by Hook_Em » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Bigger Jabari Parker?
delfam
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#64 » by delfam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

I'd probably compare him to Otto Porter
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#65 » by GimmeDat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Say the Bulls have Porter on the board at their pick - would you take him?

I feel like he's more 4 than 3, but maybe he can still work at the 3, I'm not sure. And then even still, my other concern is we'd have 2 guys on the wings (he and Lavine) that are both prolific scorers but not big playmakers for others and not good defensively. In many ways I'd almost say Porter is the Lavine of forwards.

Does he co-exist well with Dunn/Lavine/Markkanen?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#66 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 am

Comparing him to Durant isnt really a fair comparison. Durants a top 10-15all time nba talent. I remember some people would compare Ingram to Durant cause hes long and its just not a fair or good comparison.

MPJR's game reminds me of T.Harris. He has more upside then Harris but hes got that style of game.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by Alatan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am

GimmeDat wrote:Say the Bulls have Porter on the board at their pick - would you take him?

I feel like he's more 4 than 3, but maybe he can still work at the 3, I'm not sure. And then even still, my other concern is we'd have 2 guys on the wings (he and Lavine) that are both prolific scorers but not big playmakers for others and not good defensively. In many ways I'd almost say Porter is the Lavine of forwards.

Depends who else is available. I also think he is a 4 in the current NBA. Im a bit skeptic about his ability to defend faster players as well about his awareness and the ability to play team D. For the Bulls a center that can anchor the D is a better option IMO. Ayton would be ideal if you believe he will figure things out. I dont so i would pick Bamba or JJJ. Doncic is also a nice fit but i have serious doubts about his ceiling as a player. Considering the Bulls lack superstar talent, if they want to aim high they should draft Ayton or Bamba.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#68 » by GimmeDat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 am

Alatan wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Say the Bulls have Porter on the board at their pick - would you take him?

Depends who else is available. I also think he is a 4 in the current NBA. Im a bit skeptic about his ability to defend faster players as well about his awareness and the ability to play team D. For the Bulls a center that can anchor the D is a better option IMO. Ayton would be ideal if you believe he will figure things out. I dont so i would pick Bamba or JJJ. Doncic is also a nice fit but i have serious doubts about his ceiling as a player. Considering the Bulls lack superstar talent, if they want to aim high they should draft Ayton or Bamba.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely take JJJ/Bamba over him. We'll probably be closer to the 5-7 range though, so we'll probably be left with whoever's left out of the top group (likely Porter, Bagley, Young imo).
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by Alatan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
Alatan wrote:

Oh yeah, I'd definitely take JJJ/Bamba over him. We'll probably be closer to the 5-7 range though, so we'll probably be left with whoever's left out of the top group (likely Porter, Bagley, Young imo).

Out of that group id take MPJ for the Bulls. Young has bigger bust potential and i doubt that a Lavine-Young backcourt would work without giving up a million points a game. Bagley is the same story only with a different position and Bagley-Markkanen frontcourt would leak points like crazy. MPJ will probably be able to play the 3 as Galinari or Harris play the 3 but it wont look pretty on D. Id even consider trading the pick/player if the guy they like gets picked.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#70 » by Ball4life32 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Porter was just fully cleared for all basketball activities.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#71 » by RookieStar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:25 pm

When do you think we can see him play?
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#72 » by MemphisX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 pm

So happy for him
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Memgrizz0
Sophomore
And1: 251

Post#73 » by Memgrizz0 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:31 am

RookieStar wrote:When do you think we can see him play?

That Brett guy from ESPN said possibly Saturday
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#74 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:04 am

I still wouldn't be surprised if the team announce it's too late to integrate him so he gets his public medical clearence but doesn't have to risk anything. That'd be my playbook anyway.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#75 » by Jkam31 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:I still wouldn't be surprised if the team announce it's too late to integrate him so he gets his public medical clearence but doesn't have to risk anything. That'd be my playbook anyway.

Don’t you put your best player on the floor so you could win

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#76 » by baldur » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 am

I'm looking forward to watching him. How many games can he possibly this season? The season is coming to an end soon, right?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#77 » by nolang1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:19 am

It's either going to be immediately or not at all. I don't think it'd be fair to throw him out there in a win or go home situation, and that'd probably be as soon as the SEC tournament unless Missouri wins the rest of its regular season games.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#78 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:41 am

3 games in the next 10 days then Conference Tournament then NCAA Tournament.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#79 » by RookieStar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

I think he and his agent knows that him not setting foot on the floor hurts his draft stock. From a top-3 pick to a top-5.. heck if the bridges, Carter and JJJ shows and leads their team deep into the Final Four, he could fall to a top-10
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#80 » by No-Man » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Porter has good ball skills for his size, and his quick low zip is unreal for been 6'10/11, can't think of more than 2-3 guys that can do that in cuts at that size

He is unbelievable athletically, people are forgetting that.

Return to NBA Draft