Lonnie Walker

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Lonnie Walker 

Post#21 » by doordoor123 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:40 pm

I should have kept Walker high. I saw his athleticism, finishing and speed early in the season and I had him around pick 14, but there was just something off about him. I still think there is something off about him I can’t put my finger on. I think it’s because he doesn’t look controlled at all. Like he has no coordination, but he’s able to coordinate himself anyway. He looks like he’s always going to fall over, but he never does. Even when he drives, he looks like a little contact will tip on over, but it doesn’t.
Still, he turns so well and can be a really good pick and roll player. I want to see him do more dribble-step backs and side-steps because that is going to help him reach that next level.
Not a great passer in terms of accuracy, but he makes the right pass.
I still think he has a lot to learn as a player. He translates well to the NBA game, but right now he’s a roleplayer in the NBA. He overcommits on defense a little too much for me, he turns the ball over in sticky situations (plays too quickly) and doesn’t know how to get his shots. By not knowing how to get his shots, I mean he’s just playing on the fly. He’s not really running plays and is getting a lot of his buckets off of missed opportunities, fast breaks and by making his own choices. He needs to learn how to get his shots within the offense.
I just think it’s kind of crazy to compare him to these all-stars. He’s a good player, but he’s still a kid compared to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#22 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Man, Walker gets such great separation off the dribble and knows how to use his length. His handle is also better than I thought and I love his quick twitch movements. That body also looks chiseled. I’m starting to think he purposely looks like he’s almost falling over (from my last post), and he’s just so strong that he’s able to have that body control. I still think he needs to learn how to run a play and I don’t think he has the first step to beat defenders without pulling up, but he’s a good downhill runner that’ll thrive on a transition team.

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#23 » by EvanZ » Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Good to see him working on his crossover dribble. I haven't really seen that in his game before.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#24 » by Upperclass » Fri May 11, 2018 5:48 pm

He plays exactly like Shumpert.. His handle is kinda fluke.. he loses the ball quite a bit
Davis
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#25 » by Davis » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Love this kid. #6 on my board.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#26 » by retrobro90 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:09 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Man, Walker gets such great separation off the dribble and knows how to use his length. His handle is also better than I thought and I love his quick twitch movements. That body also looks chiseled. I’m starting to think he purposely looks like he’s almost falling over (from my last post), and he’s just so strong that he’s able to have that body control. I still think he needs to learn how to run a play and I don’t think he has the first step to beat defenders without pulling up, but he’s a good downhill runner that’ll thrive on a transition team.

Bussin out the Shammgod at 1:23 :nod:

I've liked Lonnie for a hot minute now. Personally I like what his weaknesses are. Over commitment on the defensive end shows me his effort level is where it needs to be. He plays too fast but that's common with almost all young players. Once they figure it out "the game slows down".

Also crazy to think about what this dude's strength level will be once he hits age 23+. He's already got an NBA body at 19.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#27 » by Catchall » Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 pm

He seems like a combination of JR Smith and Iman Shumpert. Clearly he should play for the Cavs.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#28 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 am

You know what, I think I'm going to boost him up my board again, I always liked him a lot, I think I eventually bought in to the people saying he had a lack of feel, did some low IQ stuff, but I'm back on the bus now. Dynamic athlete, looong which should make him a multi-positional defender, love his form, talented finisher, lots of moves in his bag, can function as a secondary ball handler, etc.

Probably deserves a late lottery spot or close to it.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:09 am

GimmeDat wrote:You know what, I think I'm going to boost him up my board again, I always liked him a lot, I think I eventually bought in to the people saying he had a lack of feel, did some low IQ stuff, but I'm back on the bus now. Dynamic athlete, looong which should make him a multi-positional defender, love his form, talented finisher, lots of moves in his bag, can function as a secondary ball handler, etc.

Probably deserves a late lottery spot or close to it.

Yeah, you’ve been a fan for a while. He definitely has something there and he’s in a good place for someone his age.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#30 » by HotelVitale » Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 am

GimmeDat wrote:You know what, I think I'm going to boost him up my board again, I always liked him a lot, I think I eventually bought in to the people saying he had a lack of feel, did some low IQ stuff, but I'm back on the bus now. Dynamic athlete, looong which should make him a multi-positional defender, love his form, talented finisher, lots of moves in his bag, can function as a secondary ball handler, etc. Probably deserves a late lottery spot or close to it.

I like him higher than that even. Don't see what's not to like from a physical stand point, and he also has all of the basic skills and abilities. Open question how efficient he'll be, but that's true of most big-time athletes who don't seem quite ready to take the keys to the offense, and we only have a small and unreliable sample for him (if he made literally 5 more 3s this year, he'd have been an above average 3pt shooter at 38%).

Is there any particular reason folks don't see him being a candidate for those #10-14 spots?
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#31 » by CP War Hawks » Sat May 12, 2018 2:00 am

I see the Shumpert comps, also getting some Ben Mcclemore vibes. His shot is more crispy than both of theirs tho.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#32 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 12, 2018 6:17 am

HotelVitale wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:You know what, I think I'm going to boost him up my board again, I always liked him a lot, I think I eventually bought in to the people saying he had a lack of feel, did some low IQ stuff, but I'm back on the bus now. Dynamic athlete, looong which should make him a multi-positional defender, love his form, talented finisher, lots of moves in his bag, can function as a secondary ball handler, etc. Probably deserves a late lottery spot or close to it.

I like him higher than that even. Don't see what's not to like from a physical stand point, and he also has all of the basic skills and abilities. Open question how efficient he'll be, but that's true of most big-time athletes who don't seem quite ready to take the keys to the offense, and we only have a small and unreliable sample for him (if he made literally 5 more 3s this year, he'd have been an above average 3pt shooter at 38%).

Is there any particular reason folks don't see him being a candidate for those #10-14 spots?

I'm totally back on the bandwagon now, I think skeptics got to my head a bit with him. Having a look back at my big boards, I had him 12th in October, had him as high as 8th in February, then I sort of settled him back down to late teens more recently. But I'll double down at this point.

I think part of my concern was can he fit in to that 3/D mold to start off with before expanding in to a bigger role, and if he can't expand in to that role can he effectively function as a role player. Look, I think he can, and also yes, I think he has potential for a lot more.

I think a Young, pre-ACL Shumpert is a good physical comparison, I think Walker's range and overall scoring package is more legit though.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#33 » by kobyz » Sat May 12, 2018 1:21 pm

reminds me born ready
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by doordoor123 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:56 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

I'm totally back on the bandwagon now, I think skeptics got to my head a bit with him. Having a look back at my big boards, I had him 12th in October, had him as high as 8th in February, then I sort of settled him back down to late teens more recently. But I'll double down at this point.

I think part of my concern was can he fit in to that 3/D mold to start off with before expanding in to a bigger role, and if he can't expand in to that role can he effectively function as a role player. Look, I think he can, and also yes, I think he has potential for a lot more.

I think a Young, pre-ACL Shumpert is a good physical comparison, I think Walker's range and overall scoring package is more legit though.

Shump was a better defender, ball-handler and had a much better first step, but Walker is a way better shooter and has way better body control. Shump is a slasher and stand-still shooter, Walker is a shooting wing who can finish inside.
BillyGM
Analyst
And1: 1,175

Post#35 » by BillyGM » Sat May 19, 2018 1:28 pm

I do not like that Elfrid Paytonesque hairstyle one bit. Makes him look very stupid.
DraftExpress
What's funny is that I had lunch with Terrence Ross' agent yesterday. We talked about every possible scenario. Toronto never came up.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:50 am

Lonnie Walker’s body control is off the charts. Both attacking the basket and off of jumpers. He can make a lot of off-balance shots. I don’t compare them at all because Michael Jordan was the best ever and had elite athleticism/huge hands, BUT Walker’s body control reminds me a lot of that. I don’t know anyone in the NBA other than LeBron James that has that much body control with contact.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#37 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Becoming more and more interested by this kid
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#38 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:26 pm

BillyGM wrote:I do not like that Elfrid Paytonesque hairstyle one bit. Makes him look very stupid.

Wow....
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#39 » by pelifan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:04 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Man, Walker gets such great separation off the dribble and knows how to use his length. His handle is also better than I thought and I love his quick twitch movements. That body also looks chiseled. I’m starting to think he purposely looks like he’s almost falling over (from my last post), and he’s just so strong that he’s able to have that body control. I still think he needs to learn how to run a play and I don’t think he has the first step to beat defenders without pulling up, but he’s a good downhill runner that’ll thrive on a transition team.

Bussin out the Shammgod at 1:23 :nod:

I've liked Lonnie for a hot minute now. Personally I like what his weaknesses are. Over commitment on the defensive end shows me his effort level is where it needs to be. He plays too fast but that's common with almost all young players. Once they figure it out "the game slows down".

Also crazy to think about what this dude's strength level will be once he hits age 23+. He's already got an NBA body at 19.

Yea I'm hoping that as he gets even stronger he learns to love contact.

His big problems right now stem from being a player that doesnt want to get going downhill as much as he should, and that has to do with a few things that are all correctable:
- not enough confidence in his handle
- the game being to fast for him as a decision maker
- avoiding contact both near the rim and from his primary defender
His FTR was abysmal and he needs to learn some feel as a pick and roll player, he doesnt come off of on ball picks tightly enough, doenst lean forward, and doesnt go into the chest of defensive players when he has the strength, athleticism and body control to do so.

Right now if he doesnt cleanly blow by his defender with his first step his instinct is to go in to a crossover stepback. Walker has gotta understand that he can get that shot all day, but he shouldnt settle for that as an NBA player. He has all the athletic and coordination gifts of allstar shooting guards who love attacking the paint. He needs to be that.

I see the Shump comparisons but Walker is more gifted than shump in athletic abilities that arent measurable.
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#40 » by arh1109 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Walker – Donovan Mitchell

Loonie Walker is a speedy, transition type guard. I think he’ll be a solid leader and scorer at the next level. His comparison to Donovan Mitchell comes from his freakish wingspan and athleticism. He has some unique skills to show at the next level. He’s a great 3 point shooter and also a great on ball defender. He excels in the transition game where he typically makes good decisions with the ball. In the half court he goes through spurts of shooting ill advised shots. He doesn’t have great basketball i.q. on defense. By that, I mean he loses his man on back cuts and leaves deadly three point shooters open a lot. In addition if he tightened up his handle, he would be a starting point guard on most teams.

Return to NBA Draft