Sekou Doumbouya ('19)

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,222

Re: Sekou Doumbouya ('19) 

Post#161 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Dat2U wrote:Can one of our overseas scouts provide feedback for why Doumbouya is considered a better prospect than Bitadze? Bitadze seems more productive and ready to contribute sooner than later... he's no slouch in terms of skill and athleticism too.

potential and archetype...Sekou is a 6'9 combo forward that can shoot, run the floor and play defense. Goga's a higher floor but Sekou's ceiling is considerably higher.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 637

Post#162 » by remi_222 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:got a link?

Yes indeed he was kicked out from INSEP (Federal Centern of French Basketball), but he was a 14yrs old kid playing with grown men in the N1 (3rd division).
Then he went to Poitiers, a club known to give chances to prospects (Evan Fournier is the best exemple). From there he has an absolute perfect work ethic and we can see the results in any part of his game

From what I’ve heard it was some sort of academic issue that he got kicked out for. I don’t think it was anything particularly sinister

And of course if we judged everyone based on stuff we did when we were 14 years old not many would come out looking great

u right, remember now ! But leaving INSEP for Poitiers was anyway the best thing to do . Rudy Nelhomme, Poitiers's coach is also the U18 French coach so he was used to coach Fournier, Batum, Ntilikina and Sekou
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,129

Post#163 » by Dat2U » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Fischella wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Can one of our overseas scouts provide feedback for why Doumbouya is considered a better prospect than Bitadze? Bitadze seems more productive and ready to contribute sooner than later... he's no slouch in terms of skill and athleticism too.

One is a Center and the other is an athletic Forward

:roll: Did you really have to waste your time with that response?
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#164 » by remi_222 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 pm

;frags=pl%2Cwn

RJ Hampton and Sekou's workout
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,094

Post#165 » by tmorgan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Well... happy the Pistons got him at 15.

Sad that we have a negative history with players that need development. Sure would be nice to not screw this one up.
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#166 » by remi_222 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:37 pm

tmorgan wrote:Well... happy the Pistons got him at 15.

Sad that we have a negative history with players that need development. Sure would be nice to not screw this one up.

any streak has an end ! and its now
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,998

Post#167 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:33 pm

When Giannis was drafted he was already called the Greek Freak because of his incredible skill level ( ball handling, vision, passing ) for 6-9 and that was before he grew to 7 ft tall. Sekou has none of that. Paskal Siakam was an incredibly productive college player who was overlooked because he was older and played for small program. Sekou may be the “next” prospect in their mold but he is nowhere near as NBA ready based on the little footage I’ve seen and from what I’ve read.

Is he a pure project for 2 years or can Detroit expect him to contribute anything in his first 2-3 years?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#168 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Definitely going to be following Detroit and seeing how they utilize Sekou. I think Blake will be in his way some though unless they use Sekou at the 3 which he can also do. But his hybrid 4 game is the most intriguing early on.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,908

Post#169 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Stillwater wrote:Definitely going to be following Detroit and seeing how they utilize Sekou. I think Blake will be in his way some though unless they use Sekou at the 3 which he can also do. But his hybrid 4 game is the most intriguing early on.

I just don’t want to rush the kid into a starting spot off the bat. Let him slowly adjust cause there’s plenty of PT at the 3/4 even off the bench here right now.

If he’s ready to go and shows he’s further along then I’m thinking then I would like to move Drummond and slide Blake to the 5 with Sekou at the 4.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#170 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:35 pm

sam_I_am wrote:When Giannis was drafted he was already called the Greek Freak because of his incredible skill level ( ball handling, vision, passing ) for 6-9 and that was before he grew to 7 ft tall. Sekou has none of that. Paskal Siakam was an incredibly productive college player who was overlooked because he was older and played for small program. Sekou may be the “next” prospect in their mold but he is nowhere near as NBA ready based on the little footage I’ve seen and from what I’ve read.

Is he a pure project for 2 years or can Detroit expect him to contribute anything in his first 2-3 years?

Sekou is wold's better than Giannis or Siakam were at this same age. It's not even close. You literally don't know what you're talking about
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,998

Post#171 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:29 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:When Giannis was drafted he was already called the Greek Freak because of his incredible skill level ( ball handling, vision, passing ) for 6-9 and that was before he grew to 7 ft tall. Sekou has none of that. Paskal Siakam was an incredibly productive college player who was overlooked because he was older and played for small program. Sekou may be the “next” prospect in their mold but he is nowhere near as NBA ready based on the little footage I’ve seen and from what I’ve read.

Sekou is wold's better than Giannis or Siakam were at this same age. It's not even close. You literally don't know what you're talking about

Siakam wasn’t drafted at age 18. He had an hear in college when he was drafted. He he has wildly outplayed his rookie deal and was ready to contribute day 1. And you are literally the biggest douche I’ve encountered on this site in years.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,200

Post#172 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:44 pm

Phew finally safe to have an opinion on him without it being called Victory Lapping. I want to be the first to say I think he isn't very good. Hopefully not a hot button opinion, ready to take on all debate challengers who are team Sekou.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#173 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 pm

I wish people didn't use age as a measure. Some kids peak really early.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,908

Post#174 » by MotownMadness » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:50 pm

:banghead:
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,376

Post#175 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:44 am

He had a really good stretch with us during his rookie season and it didn't feel out of place to think he had a Siakam-type ceiling. And then he just completely fell off in his sophomore year and was traded soon after. Just another Pistons draft failure to add to the long list.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#176 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:50 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Yeesh. Didn’t age well. I mean neither Sekou nor this take.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
bravor
Starter
And1: 738

Post#177 » by bravor » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:42 am

Actually, he is right. Doumbouya is the quintessence of ruining a more than promising career because of immaturity and bad - more like toxic - surroundings.
But he had the best fundamentals you can hope for a strong wing (dribble drive, capacity to score with both hands, decent shooting, a midrange game, a promising back to the basket game, a good IQ basket and good passing game, good 1/1 defense, good athleticism..).
He was easily dominating his class age, but never put the work to reach the next level.

Return to NBA Draft