Post#3181 » by Goon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Press conference just started:
https://www.mavs.com/draftcentral/
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Re: Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#3182 » by J_T » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Ok so I missed 20 minutes? I hope the replay is going to be there as well.
Goon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Post#3183 » by Goon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

J_T wrote:Ok so I missed 20 minutes? I hope the replay is going to be there as well.

It's up on the Mavs FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/dallasmavs/videos/10160380203035461/
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,595

Post#3184 » by Bob8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I believe Luka is in the best, realistic, place. Sorry Daone. ;)

2 interesting facts.

1. Coach said, he needs rest .

2. It’s unlikely he will play summer league.

Really? :D
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#3185 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Bob8 wrote:I believe Luka is in the best, realistic, place. Sorry Daone. ;)

2 interesting facts.

It makes sense because of all the prospects Luka has played over 100 professional games compared to his peers. Rick said he'd be present during practice. So knowing the mavs he will be hitting the training room a lot.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3186 » by Bob8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 pm

arkuo wrote:

2 interesting facts.

It makes sense because of all the prospects Luka has played over 100 professional games compared to his peers. Rick said he'd be present during practice. So knowing the mavs he will be hitting the training room a lot.

It makes perfect sense. But when I mentioned that few weeks ago, I was almost placed in asylum. :wink:

He needs training room and proper food regime much more than playing games.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#3187 » by arkuo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

2 interesting facts.

It makes perfect sense. But when I mentioned that few weeks ago, I was almost placed in asylum. :wink:

NBA training and coaching will do wonders for Luka. especially under Rick Carlisle.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#3188 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:09 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

NBA training and coaching will do wonders for Luka. especially under Rick Carlisle.

Carls is a terrific coach that regularly plays to the strength of his players so i love this fit. Also the idea of Smith and Doncic together is beautiful.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bob8
General Manager

Post#3189 » by Bob8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:16 pm

1. It’s always good that somebody is willing to trade up for you.

2.Carlise is a great coach and looks to be great person too.

3. Dallas is much better organization than Sancramento.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,314

Post#3190 » by lambchop » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Marcus wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Carls is a terrific coach that regularly plays to the strength of his players so i love this fit. Also the idea of Smith and Doncic together is beautiful.

Yea some proper nutrition alone will change his career. Dude is not in shape
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3191 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 pm

They gave this kid shooters, finishers, a GM that believes in him and knows how to market him, a damn good coach with a pension for a free-flowing style that fits Doncic's IQ, skillset, and imagination, ANDDDDDDDD, a starting backcourt pairing not unlike the dynamic that helped put him on the radar for a lot of people. He's set to win, only thing left now is to play the game which has always been the easiest part for him.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,488

Post#3192 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
I hope that after you see how very wrong you are about Doncic, that you can get over this "NCAA is better than EuroLeague" and "no foreign guards can play" shtick. The Mavs got the best player in the draft by far, having just the 5th pick, and you are complaining....

Hopefully most Mavs fans actually realize what they got, and are happy about it.

Almost all do.

Look at the pic in your video capture Mirotic, does this guy look like a professional athlete? I know I may have an irrational take, but you do too when it comes to how good Euroleague is. there's no way a guy with this athleticism (or lack thereof) will dominate at the NBA level. Again, i don't think he'll be a bum, but if you can get an Embiid/Gobert type, you take him over a Turkaglu/Livingston any day. And keep a pick

And of course we'll complain, because Dal stupidly took another PG in the 2nd round. I don't blame Luka, I blame the FO

This thread will be bumped many times.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#3193 » by BlueSan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:08 pm

I just love so much seeing Brunson along side of him. What a great addition he is and I also believe an extra great guy who will bring loads to this Dallas team. Exited about it!

Btw where was Kostas on this conference? He was also picked by Dallas right?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3194 » by Marcus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:45 am

BlueSan wrote:I just love so much seeing Brunson along side of him. What a great addition he is and I also believe an extra great guy who will bring loads to this Dallas team. Exited about it!

I think Kostas was drafted by Philly.
Watch More Basketball

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#3195 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 am

Please dear god stop debating Mirotic on the quality of Euroville players.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
arkuo
General Manager

Post#3196 » by arkuo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:41 am

Marcus wrote:
BlueSan wrote:I just love so much seeing Brunson along side of him. What a great addition he is and I also believe an extra great guy who will bring loads to this Dallas team. Exited about it!

I think Kostas was drafted by Philly.

Dallas traded 54 to Philly for 56 and 60
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#3197 » by Dundalis » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with DSJ, he's just another inefficient chucker who makes a couple freakishly athletic plays per game and everyone goes crazy. His efficiency isn't just bad, it's absolutely HORRENDOUS. Even vs. college competition it wasn't anything special.

People always naively expect that since a player is young, his decision making is going to miraculously get better, but that basically NEVER happens drastically, there are only some minor improvements.

In a way he's basically the opposite of Doncic, probably loved by those who hate Doncic and vice-versa.

The Mavs really should get rid of him while his value is still high.

There are plenty of great NBA players who had horribly inefficient rookie seasons. That's nothing new, and it's not a predictor of their future ceiling as NBA players. Durant is a prime example. You think OKC should have kicked Durant to the curb after his first season?

I'm not even the biggest DSJ fan, but he's exactly type of talent you allow growing pains to play out for to see if he can learn develop into something much better. The idea that decision making never drastically improves from a players rookie season, especially a point guard which is the hardest position to play is absolute crap. A rookie finds it difficult to be a good decision maker their rookie season because they are having to adapt to a level of play far above what they've ever experienced before, in a new environment with a new team and different coaching. If you're the PG as the primary ball handler every possession, it's doubly difficult because you can never hide. These factors flatten out by their second or third season, which are much better indicators of what they are going to be.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#3198 » by J_T » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:14 am

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

2 interesting facts.

He needs training room and proper food regime much more than playing games.

Yeah, I remembered about this thread when they said that he was going to be rested because I remembered the ferocity of some posters, saying that there was no chance Doncic would have been exempted from the Summer league. It just looked silly to me that they used argument "it has never happened before, you mad bro". I don't even remember who the posters were so not calling anyone out. But... they might come back and say that they thought Doncic would play at least FEW Summer league games. :wink: Mavs have not ruled that out the way I see it, Doncic might play some later Summer league games. However in either case, they will be making decision based on how Doncic's body feels, they are not just push him in, disregarding this busy 18-month schedule.
Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#3199 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:49 am

Doncic when it's all said and done will be in the HOF. Kings and Atlanta made a huge mistake. I'm not counting Phoenix because they had to take the consensus 1st overall pick, but the other two teams? they **** up.

Doncic will look huge in the NBA and noticebly quicker in time. He will be able to switch very effectively and take care of mismatches all over the floor, whether it is in the post or from behind the line. Smaller players will not be able to handle him. And for that to happen, he has to play the PG position surrounded by big lineups that would force the opposing team to put a PG on him.

He will annihilate the P&R game in the NBA if teams don't switch and if they do, I hope that he would have a center to dump it to make the defense pay, because I still don't feel like he is very good in taking advantages of switches, certainly not in the NBA. He will get there though and become excellent even in isolation, you see.

He is lucky to be selected by the Mavs. It's a huge thing for him...infinitely better than the rebuilding Hawks and the mystery that is the Kings. I love the Kings fanbase and roster and think that Luka should have been the easy choice for them to make that next step and change their culture. Bagley is just not it.

Doncic just looks like a star.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,078

Post#3200 » by Archx » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:55 am

Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:Doncic when it's all said and done will be in the HOF. Kings and Atlanta made a huge mistake. I'm not counting Phoenix because they had to take the consensus 1st overall pick, but the other two teams? they **** up.

Doncic will look huge in the NBA and noticebly quicker in time. He will be able to switch very effectively and take care of mismatches all over the floor, whether it is in the post or from behind the line. Smaller players will not be able to handle him. And for that to happen, he has to play the PG position surrounded by big lineups that would force the opposing team to put a PG on him.

He will annihilate the P&R game in the NBA if teams don't switch and if they do, I hope that he would have a center to dump it to make the defense pay, because I still don't feel like he is very good in taking advantages of switches, certainly not in the NBA. He will get there though and become excellent even in isolation, you see.

He is lucky to be selected by the Mavs. It's a huge thign for him...infinitely better than the rebuilding Hawks and the mystery that is the Kings.

Doncic just looks like a star.

Wow slow down buddy :D

It will take a good year for him to properly adapt. His strength/conditioning is nowhere near NBA level. He wont be able to play consistently through 82 games just because of fatigue. He has to improve a lot of things and will take good 2-3 years for him to do so...
So first we have to see him play, then we can talk about if he can even win ROY for starters :D

Return to NBA Draft