Quentin Grimes

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,373

Quentin Grimes (2019) 

Post#1 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 pm

i seen this cat at #8 on espn's new mock for the 2019 draft and i gotta say he looks really good.

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Re: Quentin Grimes (2019) 

Post#2 » by Justwar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Don't think he'll be so high with a lot of guys not going to this draft but good player. While this draft could be historically terrible the next draft could be loaded all through the first rd. Probably also depends on how well he converts to a lead guard
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#3 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Mar 6, 2018 8:18 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
TYO23
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#4 » by TYO23 » Tue Mar 6, 2018 8:31 pm

I watched a game of his at an Adidas tournament last summer. He has really good vision..how high you value him will likes depend on whether you view him as a point or a two.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#5 » by DirtyDez » Wed Mar 7, 2018 3:52 am

Kansas’ roster next season is straight stupid.

Dotson
Grimes
Newman
Moore
KJ Lawson
Dedric Lawson
Vick (assuming he comes back)
Azuibuike
De Souza
McCormack
Garrett
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#6 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:41 am

DirtyDez wrote:Kansas’ roster next season is straight stupid.

Dotson
Grimes
Newman
Moore
KJ Lawson
Dedric Lawson
Vick (assuming he comes back)
Azuibuike
De Souza
McCormack
Garrett

Might get Romeo too. Especially if Vick bolts.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 7, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah not sure what Self is gonna do, my guess would be,

Moore-Dotson
Newman-Grimes-Agbaji
Vick-Garrett-Cunliffe
Lawson-Lawson-Lightfoot
Azubuike-de Souza-McCormack

Or something like that, the backcourt is up for grabs, if Dotson and Grimes are good right away they might start, they are absurdly loaded, probably best roster in the nation considering Duke's inexperience

Actually someone has to leave, cause they are one up on the limit of 13 scholarships, my guess is that Vick goes.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#8 » by DirtyDez » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:01 pm

Sean needs to poach some transfers from Bill.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#9 » by Justwar » Wed Mar 7, 2018 7:42 pm

Kansas has a few guys who are wildcards that could make bad decisions. Newman, the lawsons. Just my opinion based on history. Also the Adidas thing might hit both Arizona and Kansas hard. I would avoid putting hope in Romeo Langford, he's going to indiana. But heavily overrated regardless. I can see them getting hagans though
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#10 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Mar 7, 2018 9:21 pm

TYO23 wrote:I watched a game of his at an Adidas tournament last summer. He has really good vision..how high you value him will likes depend on whether you view him as a point or a two.

you think he's a 1 or 2?

personally for me idk. all i know is that he got game for sure
TYO23
Sophomore

Post#11 » by TYO23 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 1:16 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
TYO23 wrote:I watched a game of his at an Adidas tournament last summer. He has really good vision..how high you value him will likes depend on whether you view him as a point or a two.

you think he's a 1 or 2?

personally for me idk. all i know is that he got game for sure

I think he’s a one long term. As a KU fan the thought around the program is Vick/Newman/Azubuike declare for the draft. So the backcourt will be Dotson at the one and Grimes at the two.
Justwar
Rookie

Post#12 » by Justwar » Thu Mar 8, 2018 2:53 am

I think the lawsons can be a big wild card that you can't be shocked regardless
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,088

Quentin Grimes 

Post#13 » by The-Power » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:10 am

One of the most intriguing players that enter college this year, imo. I scouted him in a bit more detail from a couple full games in addition to the highlights everybody watches these days, and I remain intrigued by his potential. Grimes is a dynamic combo-guard with good size and length to play either guard spots. I'll post some observations below and hope he gives us plenty of reason to discuss in this thread going forward due to great performances at Kansas.

- Athleticism
Grimes has great burst towards the rim and is able to blow past his man even without screens. He excels in the open floor where he's always looking to push the ball at high speed. He's extremely strong for a guard of his age, able to operate in the post against smaller players and to finish through contact around the rim. His good leaping ability allows him to play above the rim – although he's not someone who dunks on opponents all the time – and to rebound very well on both ends when engaged. He's one of the players who should benefit from more spread courts, where his speed combined with his strength could really cause problems for opposing defenses.

- Passing and Ballhandling
Grimes has the ability to make passes with either hand and in a variety of ways. He's quick to spot teammates on the floor, particulary in transition where he's quick to make outlet passes or when defenses are collapsed on his drives, and creative in delivering his passes. This makes him an interesting option to run the PnR at the next levels. Despite shooting with his right hand, he prefers to dribble with his left but has a variety of moves with both hands. I'm not sure if he's a PG, though. While he certainly has good tools, he tends to be overzealous and overly aggressive with his dribbling moves and passes. He likes to show off his handles but not seldom it's more flash and than substance – harshly speaking, every great move is followed by one that leaves him where he was before – and he's prone to being stripped when trying too hard. Similar things can be said about his passing. While he makes a lot of great passes, not all his reads are on point and he tries to thread the needle even when it's not a smart play. He gives me vibes of a playmaking combo-guard rather than someone who can actually run a team at the next level. But there is still time for him to grow in this department and it's going to be interesting to see how Kansas features him in their offense.

- Scoring
Grimes is a scorer by nature even though he also likes to pass. He's used to being the first option on his HS team and hence takes some bad shots every game. This is mostly the case with jumpshots, though. Inside the arc is where he really flourishes. He can get to the rim and finish with either hand, through contact and while using the glass well. He's able to feast on smaller players in the post – something that will clearly be less relevant in college, though – where he catches the ball with his back to the rim and then turns and uses his strength and burst to power through to the rim. His jumper, however, must be improved. I am one of the most skeptical people on this board when it comes to perimeter players who struggle to shoot and I tend to rank them lower than most. Grimes is somewhat different, however, because his mechanics are decent and potential as a shooter is undoubtedly there. His shooting form looks decent although he doesn't get quite enough rotation on the ball, his follow-through could be tweaked a bit, and sometimes he doesn't get optimal arc on his shot – but that's something he can be relatively easily fixed. Otherwise his release is pretty fluid and he gets into shooting motion nicely. He also has advanced moves in his arsenal, most specifically the step-back jumper that will be a nice weapon once his accuracy improves. He will have to be able to pull up in the NBA to be in a lead guard role but that seems doable if he continues to work hard on it.

Off-Ball Game
Grimes' off-ball game is a work in progress but he has shown flashes. He great at establishing position in the (high) post, but that's not where he'll play much at the next level I suspect. Off-screen shooting is something he hasn't shown but comes as little surprise given his role on offense and his non-elite shooting. At times he'll make great cuts towards the basket which flashes some of his potential in this respect, and he's also quite active on the offensive board at times. Still, most of the time he's moving only with the purpose of getting the ball – either in the post or a couple feet behind the arc – and we haven't really seen much of him in terms of setting screens or using off-ball screens. It will be interesting to follow his development as an off-ball player especially given that he probably ends up playing off the ball quite a bit when paired with another (primary) ballhandler.

- Defense
Well, there is not much to be said about defense at this point. As the star on his teams who plays almost all minutes and is asked to create a lot on offense, his energy level tends to be relatively low. Not as bad as I have seen from many HS stars but certainly something he will have to increase once he gets to college. He's also hidden in the zone quite frequently, so he's clearly not asked to do too much unless the game is close. Despite good athleticism, I'm not sure if his lateral speed is good and his hands quick enough to be a great defender – I'd say no, especially since he's also not impressed with special awareness. But he can become decent with the tools he has. Where he impacts the game is on the defensive glass. He's a good rebounder – strong, aggressive towards to ball with good hands, good leaping ability – and shows that especially towards the end of games when it matters (otherwise he's often passive like he's on defense overall) or when he senses the opportunity to grab and go (his ability to rebound coupled with his great transition game can really be an asset).

Any input from you guys?
TYO23
Sophomore

Re: Quentin Grimes 

Post#14 » by TYO23 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:17 am

I think he has a chance to be a lotto prospect. If he shoots the three at a respectable clip and defends next year I think he’s a lotto guy. I’m in agreement on him being a combo guard prospect instead of a point guard.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#15 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Quentin Grimes led the U.S. team in scoring with 18 points at the heavily attended scrimmage Thursday night, the lone practice NBA scouts were allowed to watch this week. His combination of size, strength, versatility, competitiveness and smarts has proven to be effective from the shooting guard position, and he appears to be gaining consistency as a shooter, which helps his cause as an NBA prospect significantly.

With guards Tre Jones and Tyler Herro struggling to create efficient offense in the half court, and point forward Cam Reddish completely disappearing all week, Grimes has moved into a ball-dominant role that really suits his skill set projecting forward. He operates at different speeds naturally, has excellent vision, creativity and unselfishness distributing the ball out of pick-and-roll sets, and has the strength and toughness to finish aggressively around the basket when he gets into the lane. He brings a similar no-nonsense mindset to the defensive end as well.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,088

Post#16 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:46 am

TYO23 wrote:I think he has a chance to be a lotto prospect. If he shoots the three at a respectable clip and defends next year I think he’s a lotto guy. I’m in agreement on him being a combo guard prospect instead of a point guard.

So far so good. Great debut for him, he had the hot hand against MSU.

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:57 am

I do feel like Grimes is stuck between the 1 and 2 a little bit, but I don't think that's too bad an issue, so long as he can shoot and defend. I didn't watch the game, obviously the shooting gets a big tick against MSU, from what I heard, the defense not so much. He's got the tools to do both things, and if he does I think he's a great, versatile back-court piece.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 7, 2018 4:04 pm

He looks so much like Courtney Lee, it's uncanny, I mean ideally you get more than that, esp if he can pull-up from 3, which was the doubt, and improve on D and as a play-maker, he is cerebral and poised and from what I heard was great at the NHS in that regard, but not sure you can have him as your lead-Guard

regardless, likely a lotto prospect, but he needs to be more dynamic as a scorer to be a 1st half of the lotto selection in my book
TYO23
Sophomore

Post#19 » by TYO23 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 4:23 pm

I’m leaning to him being more of a two guard who can be a secondary handler. He flashed some nice vision yesterday but I worry about his first step
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#20 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:21 pm

Return to NBA Draft