Kevin Huerter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
MalonesElbows
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,959
And1: 1,120
Joined: Sep 14, 2009
     

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#61 » by MalonesElbows » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:Not sold on Huerter. If it looks like Stauskas, it it walks like Stauskas, talks like a Stauskas.....


It doesn’t look like Stauskas... Other than being white and being able to make threes.


You're right, Stauskas was actually much better at driving and playmaking in college. Huerter doesn't have that.
BlueSan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 914
And1: 339
Joined: Dec 13, 2017
 

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#62 » by BlueSan » Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 pm

EvanZ wrote:Definitely not a sleeper anymore. I have him #9 on my board.



:o


I dont know the kid, apart from the tapes I saw and one of them the draft one above, shows some good but also heaps of bad, far away from top 10 for me
Braggins
General Manager
Posts: 9,810
And1: 4,081
Joined: Jan 05, 2014

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#63 » by Braggins » Sun May 27, 2018 7:53 pm

Wasn't Stauskas's issue that he couldn't defend and couldn't actually make 3s at a very high rate? His driving game didn't translate at all, but that shouldn't be surprising.

Isn't the appeal of Huerter compared to other prospects of this type that he actually has pretty good athleticism and has the potential to defend at the next level? I don't think anyone expects any kind of driving game from him, but being a smart passer will be a plus if he can shoot and defend well enough to carve out a role. I'm guessing Stauskas would have had some value as a passer if he could shoot and defend well enough to stay on an NBA court.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,377
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#64 » by doordoor123 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Braggins wrote:Wasn't Stauskas's issue that he couldn't defend and couldn't actually make 3s at a very high rate? His driving game didn't translate at all, but that shouldn't be surprising.

Isn't the appeal of Huerter compared to other prospects of this type that he actually has pretty good athleticism and has the potential to defend at the next level? I don't think anyone expects any kind of driving game from him, but being a smart passer will be a plus if he can shoot and defend well enough to carve out a role. I'm guessing Stauskas would have had some value as a passer if he could shoot and defend well enough to stay on an NBA court.


He also have flashes of getting a lot of space off of dribble-steps, has some advanced post moves and he’s one of the better guys at moving around the 3 point line. On top of that, he’s still super young. Stauskas was a junior if I’m not mistaken. Who thought Stauskas could playmake? Not me? No one thought he would be able to get into the paint too. He was a shooter and shooters were valuable at the time. He was also part of one of the weakest drafts in a long time and this draft is comparable to last year’s draft, which are two of the strongest classes in a long time.
kobyz
Senior
Posts: 565
And1: 121
Joined: Oct 31, 2006

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#65 » by kobyz » Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 am

Jerome Robinson is the Stauskas of this draft... Kevin Huerter is more Mike Miller...
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,289
And1: 1,240
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#66 » by EvanZ » Mon May 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
Posts: 48,695
And1: 28,353
Joined: Jul 16, 2009

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#67 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


I’m surprised that no team gave him a promise in the late first, at the latest.
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,289
And1: 1,240
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#68 » by EvanZ » Mon May 28, 2018 2:54 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


I’m surprised that no team gave him a promise in the late first, at the latest.


Who knows maybe the Lakers gave him a promise, he worked out for them a few days ago. But yeah, it would be crazy to me that a team in the 20s gave Chandler Hutchison a promise but that nobody gives Huerter one. Same for Jontay, who also might return to school.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,377
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#69 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 28, 2018 4:07 pm

EvanZ wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


I’m surprised that no team gave him a promise in the late first, at the latest.


Who knows maybe the Lakers gave him a promise, he worked out for them a few days ago. But yeah, it would be crazy to me that a team in the 20s gave Chandler Hutchison a promise but that nobody gives Huerter one. Same for Jontay, who also might return to school.


Chandler Hutchison should be close to a lottery pick. His size, length and mobility is what everyone is for and he’s one of the most valuable types of players right now in the NBA. He’s also really good at finishing in transition and the NBA has become a transition game. I’d be honestly surprised if he goes later than 20. To compare Huerter and Porter to him is just ridiculous.
User avatar
Gam
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,360
And1: 776
Joined: Jul 11, 2016
       

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#70 » by Gam » Mon May 28, 2018 4:52 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
I’m surprised that no team gave him a promise in the late first, at the latest.


Who knows maybe the Lakers gave him a promise, he worked out for them a few days ago. But yeah, it would be crazy to me that a team in the 20s gave Chandler Hutchison a promise but that nobody gives Huerter one. Same for Jontay, who also might return to school.


Chandler Hutchison should be close to a lottery pick. His size, length and mobility is what everyone is for and he’s one of the most valuable types of players right now in the NBA. He’s also really good at finishing in transition and the NBA has become a transition game. I’d be honestly surprised if he goes later than 20. To compare Huerter and Porter to him is just ridiculous.


I agree, Porter is almost 4 whole years younger, and an even better fit in the modern NBA!
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,377
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#71 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Gam wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Who knows maybe the Lakers gave him a promise, he worked out for them a few days ago. But yeah, it would be crazy to me that a team in the 20s gave Chandler Hutchison a promise but that nobody gives Huerter one. Same for Jontay, who also might return to school.


Chandler Hutchison should be close to a lottery pick. His size, length and mobility is what everyone is for and he’s one of the most valuable types of players right now in the NBA. He’s also really good at finishing in transition and the NBA has become a transition game. I’d be honestly surprised if he goes later than 20. To compare Huerter and Porter to him is just ridiculous.


I agree, Porter is almost 4 whole years younger, and an even better fit in the modern NBA!


There are a lot of guys with potential at 18 or 19 and become nothing. James Young was one of them.
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,289
And1: 1,240
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#72 » by EvanZ » Mon May 28, 2018 8:05 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
I’m surprised that no team gave him a promise in the late first, at the latest.


Who knows maybe the Lakers gave him a promise, he worked out for them a few days ago. But yeah, it would be crazy to me that a team in the 20s gave Chandler Hutchison a promise but that nobody gives Huerter one. Same for Jontay, who also might return to school.


Chandler Hutchison should be close to a lottery pick. His size, length and mobility is what everyone is for and he’s one of the most valuable types of players right now in the NBA. He’s also really good at finishing in transition and the NBA has become a transition game. I’d be honestly surprised if he goes later than 20. To compare Huerter and Porter to him is just ridiculous.


That's your opinion. In my opinion Hutchison is overrated.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,377
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#73 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Who knows maybe the Lakers gave him a promise, he worked out for them a few days ago. But yeah, it would be crazy to me that a team in the 20s gave Chandler Hutchison a promise but that nobody gives Huerter one. Same for Jontay, who also might return to school.


Chandler Hutchison should be close to a lottery pick. His size, length and mobility is what everyone is for and he’s one of the most valuable types of players right now in the NBA. He’s also really good at finishing in transition and the NBA has become a transition game. I’d be honestly surprised if he goes later than 20. To compare Huerter and Porter to him is just ridiculous.


That's your opinion. In my opinion Hutchison is overrated.


Lol I saved you post calling Hutchison a scrub. I’m going to show it to you next year.
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,289
And1: 1,240
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#74 » by EvanZ » Mon May 28, 2018 8:19 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Chandler Hutchison should be close to a lottery pick. His size, length and mobility is what everyone is for and he’s one of the most valuable types of players right now in the NBA. He’s also really good at finishing in transition and the NBA has become a transition game. I’d be honestly surprised if he goes later than 20. To compare Huerter and Porter to him is just ridiculous.


That's your opinion. In my opinion Hutchison is overrated.


Lol I saved you post calling Hutchison a scrub. I’m going to show it to you next year.


Well, I deleted it because I thought that was too strong. But do what you got to do. Like that time you said Jimmer was an All-Star. u b u
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,377
And1: 1,081
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#75 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:41 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
That's your opinion. In my opinion Hutchison is overrated.


Lol I saved you post calling Hutchison a scrub. I’m going to show it to you next year.


Well, I deleted it because I thought that was too strong. But do what you got to do. Like that time you said Jimmer was an All-Star. u b u


That’s not what I said, but you keep on misunderstanding.
Chuck Everett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,887
And1: 4,068
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#76 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


If he's as good as you say, then he will have no problem carving out an NBA career.
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,289
And1: 1,240
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#77 » by EvanZ » Mon May 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


If he's as good as you say, then he will have no problem carving out an NBA career.


Of course...if he stays healthy. That's the risk he takes by going back to school. You only need to look at his teammate Justin Jackson to see the possible consequences. And for what? To move up a few draft slots? We've seen guys like Ivan Rabb who were fringe lottery guys fall all the way to the 2nd round. Melo Trimble should have come out after his freshman year. Now he's a GLer for life.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,110
And1: 1,463
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#78 » by nolang1 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


If he's as good as you say, then he will have no problem carving out an NBA career.


Yeah, looking at some of these combine posts has me thinking Maryland should be favored to win the title next year if Huerter and Fernando come back.
Nazrmohamed
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,259
And1: 2,003
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#79 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 am

EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


Yeah but you also gotta look at the environment. Next years draft is very top heavy, then weak. He could be a top 10 player next year with a good season.
916fan
Senior
Posts: 728
And1: 304
Joined: Dec 03, 2016
 

Re: Kevin Huerter 

Post#80 » by 916fan » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Huerter cancelled his last workout and is apparently in "decision" mode. I have a feeling he's going back to school, which I think is a big mistake for him, but that's how it goes. These kids get advised that they should try to go a few slots higher, but they end up risking not getting drafted at all or going in the second round.


Yeah but you also gotta look at the environment. Next years draft is very top heavy, then weak. He could be a top 10 player next year with a good season.

I know next year's class is weaker, but people said the same thing last year about Miles Bridges and Robert Williams. "Wait until next year and they'll go top 5". Bridges is being projected 10-15, same as last year. Williams was being projected as high as #4 by draftexpress, but he would've been a top 10 prospect. This year? mid to late lotto at best.

Kevin Huerter would be dumb to go back if he can get a 1st round grade.

Return to NBA Draft