Jerome Robinson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
baldur
Head Coach
Posts: 6,296
And1: 6,817
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
     

Jerome Robinson 

Post#1 » by baldur » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 am

less than two days to go to the draft, ESPN's latest projection surprised pretty much everyone as to who jerome robinson is. Seriously who is he? he is projected as a lottery pick according to espn. What do you know about him? Gonna be the steal of the draft?
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,147
And1: 15,878
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#2 » by GimmeDat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:47 am

I think I'd be reasonably optimistic about him becoming a solid scorer, but even if he works out in that regard, is he the sort of guy that influences winning on a positive level? I'd take him over other, similar-achetype players like Trier, Newman, and others mocked in the 2nd round, because he's a bit more athletic and a bit better distributor, but ultimately I think the 1st round hype is pretty dumbfounding. I could see him looking the part, though.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,535
And1: 2,992
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#3 » by Fischella » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 am

GimmeDat wrote:I think I'd be reasonably optimistic about him becoming a solid scorer, but even if he works out in that regard, is he the sort of guy that influences winning on a positive level? I'd take him over other, similar-achetype players like Trier, Newman, and others mocked in the 2nd round, because he's a bit more athletic and a bit better distributor, but ultimately I think the 1st round hype is pretty dumbfounding. I could see him looking the part, though.

he is def not more athletic than either Trier or Newman

he is a better passer by a mile though
User avatar
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 23,147
And1: 15,878
Joined: Sep 27, 2013
Location: Australia
 

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Fischella wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I think I'd be reasonably optimistic about him becoming a solid scorer, but even if he works out in that regard, is he the sort of guy that influences winning on a positive level? I'd take him over other, similar-achetype players like Trier, Newman, and others mocked in the 2nd round, because he's a bit more athletic and a bit better distributor, but ultimately I think the 1st round hype is pretty dumbfounding. I could see him looking the part, though.

he is def not more athletic than either Trier or Newman

he is a better passer by a mile though


I disagree Fisch, can't see Trier or Newman doing this at all -







Granted, there's many aspects to 'athleticism', and maybe Robinson has some deficiencies that tie in to his issues defensively, but overall I do think he's a better athlete than both and I think they're some great examples as to why. He's quick and he's got solid bounce.

In all fairness, I think Trier has an argument as being close, but Newman, I don't see it. Functionally, at least.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,535
And1: 2,992
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#5 » by Fischella » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 pm

There are examples of Newman dunking out there you just have to search, through traffic, he gets similar elevation but has more ability to hang in midair, and he is smaller than Jerome

he also had a few big ones with KU
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,349
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Fischella wrote:There are examples of Newman dunking out there you just have to search, through traffic, he gets similar elevation but has more ability to hang in midair, and he is smaller than Jerome

he also had a few big ones with KU


I agree, Newman is just so quick and even jumps so quick that you might miss his dunks.
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,266
And1: 1,231
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm

baldur wrote:less than two days to go to the draft, ESPN's latest projection surprised pretty much everyone as to who jerome robinson is. Seriously who is he? he is projected as a lottery pick according to espn. What do you know about him? Gonna be the steal of the draft?


If he's a lottery pick, the only thing being stolen is some fanbase hope of winning. The fact that you can sign Trier as a UDFA while this guy goes top of the first round is mind-boggling.
Catapolt.co
Make polls great again.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,825
And1: 2,525
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 pm

He isn't a lottery pick , not a good defender, but does hustle after 50/50 balls and put forth effort defensively. He has been devalued by rosters leading up to the draft in the late first early 2nd that covet his offense hoping his value would stay low.
Now that some mid first teams have seen the first hand workouts he won't be a 2nd rounder and definitely has a case for the early 20's.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
User avatar
azcatz11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,247
And1: 6,949
Joined: Apr 13, 2017
Location: Phoenix

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#9 » by azcatz11 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:38 pm

I've heard multiple comparisons to Mitchell on ESPN. Perhaps this is a case of folks wanting to find the next Mitchell so they're propping him up to 11-14?

Honestly, I don't recall watching a Boston College game since Jared Dudley played there so I have never heard of him lol
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,082
And1: 1,455
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#10 » by nolang1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm sure he does much better in the interview/background stuff than someone like Trier; he was an unheralded recruit who improved a lot and stuck around on a team that was garbage his first two years when he could've transferred. Like most people, I hadn't heard much of him before this year; when BC upset Duke it was assumed to be some especially wretched defensive performance from Duke, but this guy was making a bunch of tough shots.

Looking at the bigger picture, I worry that he just got hot on contested midrange jumpers for a couple months. Donovan Mitchell's success plus the league trending towards more smallball has people really trying to hype these various shooting guards who IMO don't really stand out all that much from one another. Gary Trent and Lonnie Walker were the consensus top SG recruits going into the year and both were pretty whatever in college, but instead of just saying "eh, looks like a disproportionate amount of the good players this year are bigs" people are trying to flip that into "how can you possibly have this many bigs near the top of the draft in the modern NBA?" At that point, you have to pick a few SGs in the lottery and you can make a case for whomever happens to be your favorite.
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,978
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#11 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I think Newman is more athletic than Robinson. Frankly, I'm pretty surprised how low Newman's stock seems to be. He has a chance to be a second round steal.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 5,008
And1: 9,968
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#12 » by The Comedian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 pm

He did average 24 a game in ACC play, on 56/45/83 shooting. That was on a team with very little talent, defenses keyed on him all year and he still scored that efficiently. He's also turned into a pretty damn good athlete.

As long as he continues working hard on ball control and defense, he's going to be a very good player, especially with nba spacing.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,458
And1: 5,493
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm

He's a scorer - first and foremost. He's a very good shooter and ball-handler. His ball-handling is more to create space for his jumper than to drive to the basket. He can get around his man, but he's not an athletic finisher - he's more likely to take the step-up j than to challenge a rim protector. I see him in the Lou Williams role - 3rd guard who takes a lot of shots. I wouldn't take him in the lottery, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he is. Shooters like him are always in demand and moreso now than ever.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 37,211
And1: 42,147
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I think Newman is more athletic than Robinson. Frankly, I'm pretty surprised how low Newman's stock seems to be. He has a chance to be a second round steal.


Agreed on Newman. Hell be a decent rotation guy IMO.
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
Catchall
General Manager
Posts: 8,834
And1: 3,362
Joined: Jul 06, 2008

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#15 » by Catchall » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 am

I compare him to Jamal Murray. His skill level is high and he has the ability to play on and off the ball.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,349
And1: 1,072
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 am

The reason hes risen so much is because teams belive he’s a really good passer, better than he was in college.
arh1109
Pro Prospect
Posts: 863
And1: 67
Joined: Feb 16, 2009

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#17 » by arh1109 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 am

Good combination of handles and shooting touch from range. Able to dance with the ball and break down defenders before knocking down a three like Curry. Solid basketball i.q. on both sides of the ball. Not a great athlete at the nba level. Needs to add more to his scoring arsenal. I could definitely see him being a steal in the draft though.
User avatar
Yuri Vaultin
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 18,421
And1: 9,179
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: In a tree by your window.
     

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#18 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 am

doordoor123 wrote:The reason hes risen so much is because teams belive he’s a really good passer, better than he was in college.

You don't think it has anything to do with his drastic improvement across the board in efficiency while being the focal point of all opposing teams' defenses?
Image
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
User avatar
EvanZ
Head Coach
Posts: 7,266
And1: 1,231
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#19 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 am

doordoor123 wrote:The reason hes risen so much is because teams belive he’s a really good passer, better than he was in college.


Why do they believe he suddenly became a better passer in the last few weeks?
Catapolt.co
Make polls great again.
teamjosh04
Senior
Posts: 678
And1: 17
Joined: Jun 08, 2008

Re: Jerome Robinson 

Post#20 » by teamjosh04 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 pm

I really liked the scoring versatility he showed at BC. He's a dribble-shoot-pass guy with a high IQ and a frame that can fill out. Those guys are always intriguing. I originally had him in the top-20, soured on him a bit because he doesn't offer much besides scoring and could easily bust (also doesn't seem well-liked by analytic models), but with all the positive reports out recently I'm trusting my original instincts. He does have shades of Jamal Murray to him.

Return to NBA Draft