Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,124

Re: Top 5 Steals and Reaches 

Post#21 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
The-Power wrote:Let's do it. List the names of the players you believe will end up outplaying their draft spot and who will turn out to have been drafted too high.

You're one of the most respected members here, would love to see yours

Always tough because you're playing the odds, but to me Sexton and Knox are picks made by teams that were victims of freshmen-fever and therefore reaches who are more likely to disappoint than to play up to or exceed their draft position. Bamba was a reach for me as well, and I would be really surprised if Bagley becomes the second best player in this draft – that would take either an extremely unlikely development or a really disappointing draft class. I'd also add Zhaire Smith who I'm just not high on. A couple guys I wouldn't have taken as high as they went, of course, but nothing I'd really consider an unreasonable reach either. Jerome Robinson stands out as a somewhat unexpectedly high pick but I'll refrain from judgement until I see what the Clippers have planned with him.

To my surprise, most players that I expected to be picked clearly below where I have them have been picked surprisingly high. I fully believe Mikal Bridges will be better than the 10th best player in this draft, and that a bunch of guys ahead of him will turn out to be worse when it comes to impact on winning teams. Walker and Williams are gambles, but gambles well worth for where they were drafted imo – even if both could easily fail to leave their mark, their chances to become good players are higher than the position they were picked in suggests. Same is true for Mitchell Robinson and Melton. Huerter could easily be picked ahead by a good team but I don't like him that much on a bad team, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't develop as well as he could have. Lastly, I had Khyri Thomas as a clear first-round pick and Gary Clark – shout-out to @eminence – should have been drafted.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,670

Post#22 » by Capn'O » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
PLO wrote:
He's actually just really shy, keeps to his own. He's the opposite of a knucklehead because knucklehead's are out and about going the knuckle. He has awesome talent - he's probably the best defensive 5 in this draft in terms of talent over JJJ and well over Bamba.

The question is if he's cut out for the NBA mentally. He wouldn't give anyone Robert Williams style headaches that's for sure. If Robinson were a scientist he'd be one of those reclusive genius types that either get the Nobel Prize in their lifetime or are discovered and recognized a century from now.

Agreed completely. He's obviously been working on his game. He's just super shy. That could be a problem for him but not for the unfounded reasons people are saying.

He might be shy but it also seems obvious that he makes some really poor decisions. That whole situation with the under 19 where he missed their first practice due to travel issues than got dropped for McCoy. His whole mess with Western Kentucky.....Who just packs up and leaves campus without telling anyone? Not even another player or coach. Then even after he re-enrolled again only to drop out again. It seems his issues go beyond just shyness. I know he's talented, I watched last year's MacDonalds game in whole, he played very well and had no problems with any matchup. But why no workouts or even show up to the combine to do the interviews or some of those tests that he should have thrived in because of his athlectism. I mean for a second round pick it's a no brainer, he just seems to have some red flags though that I would worry about.

The other side is that he's apparently a computer geek, has trained really hard, has stayed out of trouble, and people that know him speak very highly of him.

I'm no doctor but my sense is he's probably got severe anxiety as well as some speech issues. Maybe a bad handler or two as well sheltering him.

I'm not saying it's smooth sailing. What I am saying is he's not some ruffian on the wrong side of the law, not putting in work and cussing out coaches. He will need support for his specific challenges, whatever they are.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#23 » by arh1109 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Elie Okobo
Jerome Robinson
Loonie Walker
Aaron Holiday
Donte DeVincenzo
Grayson Allen
Devon Carter

Are all smart players. Low risk, high reward type players. Don't know if I'd call any of them steals, but they'll be around the league for awhile.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#24 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Couldn't believe McCoy went undrafted. The NBA is slowly phasing out 7 footers. How do you win the genetic lottery and still come up snake eyes.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#25 » by teamjosh04 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Steals:

De'Anthony Melton
Keita Bates-Diop
Kevin Hervey
Elie Okobo
Robert Williams

Reaches:

Grayson Allen
Moritz Wagner
Aaron Holiday
Anfernee Simons
Omari Spellman
The-Power
General Manager

Post#26 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Couldn't believe McCoy went undrafted. The NBA is slowly phasing out 7 footers. How do you win the genetic lottery and still come up snake eyes.

Only those with no defense and without a modern offensive game.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#27 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:39 am

reaches

Mo Bamba
Collin Sexton
Jerome Robinson
Troy Brown Jr.
Donte DiVincenzo
Aaron Holiday
Anfernee Simons
Jevon Carter
Jalen Brunson
Devonte' Graham
Hamidou Diallo
Tony Carr
Thomas Welsh

stop drafting career back-up PGs with high quality picks unless you are a contender with a hole at that position

steals

Luka Doncic
Trae Young
Miles Bridges
Michael Porter Jr.
Robert Williams
Dzanan Musa
Élie-Franck Okobo
Jarred Vanderbilt
Bruce Brown Jr.
De'Anthony Melton
Keita Bates-Diop
Vincent Edwards
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,226

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Steals:
Mikal Bridges
Dzanan Musa
Isaac Bonga
Jarred Vanderbilt
Malik Newman

Reaches:
Trae Young
Kevin Knox
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jerome Robinson
Aaron Holiday
bootsythornton
Sixth Man
And1: 1,727

Post#29 » by bootsythornton » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:58 pm

melton, drop, and Robert Willams stand out to me
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#30 » by EricAnderson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:For me Knox is a reach. I see a lot of James Young's draft hype in this pick, both 18 year olds at the time of their draft who played for Kentucky who weren't that great in college and aren't amazing athletic talents or anything. Youth is not the same thing as potential. I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a Tobias Harris level player, but to pick a high bust risk prospect I would hope the upside is better than that. An 18ppg one way combo forward isn't saving the Knicks

I agree The nba is a star league and in reality there’s only a few guys who really matter and move the needle so I’m always for striking out trying to hit a hr then succeeding hitting a single

With that said at that point what potential stars were left? the 9th pick usually doesn’t give you a star and a Tobias Harris type at 9 isn’t bad at all.

i wanted them to take a chance on MPJ I admit because it’s a swing for the fences pick but in reality I think his upside has been overhyped a little.. I don’t think he has star potential he reminds me of Gallinari
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,231

Post#31 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Jerome Robinson, Holiday, DDV, Grayson, Wagner were reaches

Miles, Robert Williams, Melton were steals
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#32 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm going to be laughing my arse off at how much better Sexton is than Young in 5 years.
And of course a lot of people on here claiming Young was a steal and Sexton a reach.
Youngs ability to pass the rock will transfer, but the other aspects of his game from finishing
to low release are going to impact his ability to be an impact player not to mention the lack of length
a lock to destroy his ability to be any better on defense than IT.
Of course he could change his shot mechanics and put on 25lbs but neither of those things are
likely to happen.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
The-Power
General Manager

Post#33 » by The-Power » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Houston leaving the draft with Melton and Clark (two-way deal) while only having a second-round pick to use was amazing. Great job.

edit: forgot about Edwards, but that doesn't really matter to me.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#34 » by CptCrunch » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Reach:
1. Trae (Will be one of the worst trade of all times)
2. Bamba (Drafted late lotto talent with high lotto)
3. Sexton (Not a lotto player)
4. MPJ (Will never play in the NBA)
5. Knox (typical Knicks)

Steal:
1. Luka Doncic (#1/2 player picked traded for #5 + protected pick lmao)
2. Zhaire (I'm super high on him)
3. Melton (FBI managed to suspend a lotto talent for a year)
4. Diop (Rich man's Wiggins)
5. JJJ (#1/2 prospect at #4 BLIND without workout or medical, brave of the Grizzlies. Just hope the franchise doesn't ruin his development)
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#35 » by Catchall » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:26 pm

Steals --
Okobo
KBD
Melton
R. Williams
Musa might be a steal, I can't tell
also keep an eye on Gary Trent
potentially Mitchell Robinson

Slight Reach --
Trae Young
Donte Divincenzo
Mo Wagner
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,231

Post#36 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:I'm going to be laughing my arse off at how much better Sexton is than Young in 5 years.
And of course a lot of people on here claiming Young was a steal and Sexton a reach.
Youngs ability to pass the rock will transfer, but the other aspects of his game from finishing
to low release are going to impact his ability to be an impact player not to mention the lack of length
Of course he could change his shot mechanics and put on 25lbs but neither of those things are
likely to happen.

Oh your posts reminds me I forgot to put Sexton as a reach. Thanks! :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#37 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I'm going to be laughing my arse off at how much better Sexton is than Young in 5 years.
likely to happen.

Oh your posts reminds me I forgot to put Sexton as a reach. Thanks! :lol:

yeah yeah , I will remember you said that
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#38 » by jmnvcavs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Steals:
Kevin Huerter
Mitchell Robinson
Robert Williams
Chandler Hutchinson
Mo Wagner

Reach:
Marvin Bagley
SGA
Troy Brown
Jerome Robinson
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#39 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 pm

is wagner considered a reach due to bpa? to me he fits perfectly for our O and what we want out of our bigs....Williams guy attribute is being a defensive/reb big but with questionable motor/focus, i dont see how you can succeed playing that type of role. Being a defensive big you never want to have questionable motor
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#40 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm

I think Trae Young is the biggest reach followed by Jerome Williams but somehow I trust that Jerry West will prove right. I want to say Porter is a steal but if West passed on him twice the red flags are real. Trae Young is like Isaiah Thomas with a sweeter shot and better playmaking but IT is built like a tank and before hip injury seemed to thrive on the punishment he took. I don’t think Trae is built for NBA. I want to think Rob Williams is a steal but he’s already off to a bad start. I just hope his talent makes him look like a steal so Celtics get value in a future trade before his character derails his career.

Return to NBA Draft