Cameron Reddish

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 608
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#381 » by prime1time » Sun May 26, 2019 12:05 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
prime1time wrote:I still don’t get the hate for Cam. Look at Kawhi’s numbers his freshman year.


His PER is like a full 10 points higher than Cam Reddish. Like Reddish is a subaveraged 13.6...kawhi leonard is better than some nba allstars with like 23 PER. I know its not an end all/be all stat but i think its alright at incorporating basic stats/minute. I'm assuming or well simply guessing kawhi had some pretty good defensive stats as well, not sure on reddish.

I find almost invariably when someone says compare this guy to this guy, see? type of argument on realgm, they are missing something.

I find it funny that you'd say that. I love how the ball keeps moving on this site. Let's talk about Kawhi's shooting. He shot 20.6% from 3 his freshman year. Look at his offensive game now? Otto Porter Jr. shot 22.6% from 3 his freshman year, now he's one of the best shooters in the league. Cam attempted more 3's in his one season at Duke than either of those guys did in the entire college career. Find me an NBA player that has any where near the same number of 3 point attempts that Cam did. The reality is that we have nothing to compare his college production to because he's such an outlier. 77% from the ft line isn't amazing but it shows potential. At the end of the day, Cam gets hated on way more than he deserves. Reading some of the posts in this thread, he shouldn't even be drafted. He should just pack his bags and head over seas right now. But there's no point in going back and forth. Nothing some fans love more than to hate on young players that have all the tools but struggle to put it together. Either Cam delivered this season and he's competing for Morant and RJ for #2 or #3, or he's a bust that should never play in the NBA. This is the black-and-white thinking that the average NBA fan has.
pootbrah
Rookie
Posts: 1,016
And1: 694
Joined: Feb 09, 2016
 

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#382 » by pootbrah » Sun May 26, 2019 1:33 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
pootbrah wrote:Reminds me of Wesley Johnson...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


You know what, I don't think Redd will bust that hard, but the similarities are hard to ignore. I was absolutely sold on Wes btw. I have a bet pending with a board member he will not finish top 5 in rookie rankings. I'm taking all comers that would like to wager something.


Same haha so aesthetic on the eye to watch and you watch them 1 on 0 and think they could be the GOAT. Just lack the bball IQ/mindset to put that together in a 5 on 5 with defense and other pressures on them. Wes was older though, but way more proven. Don't know, I'd much rather take a risk on Bol Bol in the top 10 or 5 or wherever Reddish lands though.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,412
And1: 2,418
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#383 » by Stillwater » Sun May 26, 2019 2:31 am

pootbrah wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:
pootbrah wrote:Reminds me of Wesley Johnson...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app


You know what, I don't think Redd will bust that hard, but the similarities are hard to ignore. I was absolutely sold on Wes btw. I have a bet pending with a board member he will not finish top 5 in rookie rankings. I'm taking all comers that would like to wager something.


Same haha so aesthetic on the eye to watch and you watch them 1 on 0 and think they could be the GOAT. Just lack the bball IQ/mindset to put that together in a 5 on 5 with defense and other pressures on them. Wes was older though, but way more proven. Don't know, I'd much rather take a risk on Bol Bol in the top 10 or 5 or wherever Reddish lands though.

It probably won't happen for an org overconfident in his upside or for one's that normally don't scout well for him to fall to his actual value spot..
But he should not be picked before 20 going on proven skills against college level players. As much as I'd like to see him get it together and be a great pro, I wouldn't put a dollar on him doing so
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#384 » by gundysmullet » Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 am

I live a couple hours down the road from Duke and saw everyone of their games this past season. Reddish is a poor shooter, despite being known as a shooter, he’s not good at driving to the rim and often times just disappears and floats around the perimeter seemingly disengaged from what’s going on. I honestly do not understand at all the infatuation with him. To me his ceiling is a very poor man’s Rudy Gay.
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#385 » by gundysmullet » Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 am

Have you guys ever had a job, or done something really well that if you’re completely honest with yourself, you really didn’t enjoy? I did. I was a finance manager at a Lexus dealership and I was really good at it but I would get a pit in my stomach every morning before I came to work because I hated it so much but I did it because I was good at it and made decent money until I finally couldn’t take it anymore and quit. There are athletes like that as well, Andrew Bynum is on record as saying that he would rather have been a professional bowler but he got paid a ton of money to play basketball. I honestly believe Andrew Wiggins has no passion for the game either. I think Cam falls into this category too. Now that being said, I can’t blame his guys for taking the money, it would be crazy not to. But there are professional athletes that truly don’t enjoy the sport that they are getting paid millions of dollars to play. And if you are not truly passionate about something, you are less apt to work hard at it to improve.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,989
And1: 26,185
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#386 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 pm

So Givony says Reddish was the stand out performer at the Phoenix pro day and said he wowed the scouts, Culver was at the workout as well. I think fit maybe the only thing that might keep Cam from climbing to #4 in this draft. But with a good chance that LA is looking to trade that pick, I wouldnt be shocked if Cam does go 4th if LA thinks Cam has the highest trade value after the main 3 guys in this draft. Really no surprise that Cam is the guy that is blowing away these workouts.

With all my negative things I have said about Cam, I could see why a team would take him high. I still think he has the 2nd highest ceiling in this draft, there is no denying the flashes that he showed during the year. With that said though, I still couldn't take him top 5. Cause even though I think he has the 2nd highest ceiling, I think he easily has the lowest floor and biggest bust potential out of any of the guys talked about going in the lotto.

I have said many times that I think Cam was put in a great position to succeed and still played horribly. But who knows, maybe K didn't know how to use him, wouldnt be the first time.
User avatar
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 13,358
And1: 4,474
Joined: Jul 16, 2004
Location: Oakland

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#387 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun May 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Givony also said Cam had to cut the workout short because he pulled his groin. Sure seems like he gets banged up a lot. He plays through it, to his credit, but you don’t love to see nagging injuries in a young guy.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,412
And1: 2,418
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#388 » by Stillwater » Sun May 26, 2019 8:31 pm

gundysmullet wrote:Have you guys ever had a job, or done something really well that if you’re completely honest with yourself, you really didn’t enjoy? I did. I was a finance manager at a Lexus dealership and I was really good at it but I would get a pit in my stomach every morning before I came to work because I hated it so much but I did it because I was good at it and made decent money until I finally couldn’t take it anymore and quit. There are athletes like that as well, Andrew Bynum is on record as saying that he would rather have been a professional bowler but he got paid a ton of money to play basketball. I honestly believe Andrew Wiggins has no passion for the game either. I think Cam falls into this category too. Now that being said, I can’t blame his guys for taking the money, it would be crazy not to. But there are professional athletes that truly don’t enjoy the sport that they are getting paid millions of dollars to play. And if you are not truly passionate about something, you are less apt to work hard at it to improve.

Yeah really comes down to a persons priorities and given only about 1% of the planet poulation has the opportunity to make millions of dollars under contract doing something they are expected to be great at if they are inclined to take their skills to another level yet have not proved capable of it before getting paid... He lacks the motivation to contribute to winning in college,so I doubt getting paid motivates him to do the necessary work to win and contribute to winning which is the biggest problem with Reddish, it has nothing to do with his skillset,which is already well known and overrated due to a lack of quality upside prospects in this class.
I could see anything happening regarding him now that he is killing it in workouts , but tbh don't think anything he is doing without a defender in his grill is going to increase his stock back to what it was before college or get him taken in the top 4. I actually think his starting point is at 7 easily at which point teams start gambling on him actually caring about basketball
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,004
And1: 40,832
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#389 » by clyde21 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 pm

gundysmullet wrote:Have you guys ever had a job, or done something really well that if you’re completely honest with yourself, you really didn’t enjoy? I did. I was a finance manager at a Lexus dealership and I was really good at it but I would get a pit in my stomach every morning before I came to work because I hated it so much but I did it because I was good at it and made decent money until I finally couldn’t take it anymore and quit. There are athletes like that as well, Andrew Bynum is on record as saying that he would rather have been a professional bowler but he got paid a ton of money to play basketball. I honestly believe Andrew Wiggins has no passion for the game either. I think Cam falls into this category too. Now that being said, I can’t blame his guys for taking the money, it would be crazy not to. But there are professional athletes that truly don’t enjoy the sport that they are getting paid millions of dollars to play. And if you are not truly passionate about something, you are less apt to work hard at it to improve.


you're making a lot of weird and baseless assumptions here
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#390 » by gundysmullet » Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Have you guys ever had a job, or done something really well that if you’re completely honest with yourself, you really didn’t enjoy? I did. I was a finance manager at a Lexus dealership and I was really good at it but I would get a pit in my stomach every morning before I came to work because I hated it so much but I did it because I was good at it and made decent money until I finally couldn’t take it anymore and quit. There are athletes like that as well, Andrew Bynum is on record as saying that he would rather have been a professional bowler but he got paid a ton of money to play basketball. I honestly believe Andrew Wiggins has no passion for the game either. I think Cam falls into this category too. Now that being said, I can’t blame his guys for taking the money, it would be crazy not to. But there are professional athletes that truly don’t enjoy the sport that they are getting paid millions of dollars to play. And if you are not truly passionate about something, you are less apt to work hard at it to improve.


you're making a lot of weird and baseless assumptions here


Such as? You used the term “a lot”, I don’t think there were any assumptions let alone “a lot” but please elaborate. Thanks
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,004
And1: 40,832
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#391 » by clyde21 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Have you guys ever had a job, or done something really well that if you’re completely honest with yourself, you really didn’t enjoy? I did. I was a finance manager at a Lexus dealership and I was really good at it but I would get a pit in my stomach every morning before I came to work because I hated it so much but I did it because I was good at it and made decent money until I finally couldn’t take it anymore and quit. There are athletes like that as well, Andrew Bynum is on record as saying that he would rather have been a professional bowler but he got paid a ton of money to play basketball. I honestly believe Andrew Wiggins has no passion for the game either. I think Cam falls into this category too. Now that being said, I can’t blame his guys for taking the money, it would be crazy not to. But there are professional athletes that truly don’t enjoy the sport that they are getting paid millions of dollars to play. And if you are not truly passionate about something, you are less apt to work hard at it to improve.


you're making a lot of weird and baseless assumptions here


Such as? You used the term “a lot”, I don’t think there were any assumptions let alone “a lot” but please elaborate. Thanks


You mean other than you questioning his practice habits, work ethic, passion and love for the game?
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,989
And1: 26,185
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#392 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
you're making a lot of weird and baseless assumptions here


Such as? You used the term “a lot”, I don’t think there were any assumptions let alone “a lot” but please elaborate. Thanks


You mean other than you questioning his practice habits, work ethic, passion and love for the game?


Ya I haven't heard a single negative about his work ethic or a lack of passion for the game. No doubt he is very inconsistent and can disappear during games. But I think that is much more because a lack of assertiveness, than it is having a lack of love for the game.
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#393 » by gundysmullet » Mon May 27, 2019 12:11 am

clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
you're making a lot of weird and baseless assumptions here


Such as? You used the term “a lot”, I don’t think there were any assumptions let alone “a lot” but please elaborate. Thanks


You mean other than you questioning his practice habits, work ethic, passion and love for the game?


Where did I question his practice habits? And you're confusing speculation with assumption, they're not synonymous. And you separated passion and love for the game to try to add credibility for your use of "a lot". :lol:
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#394 » by gundysmullet » Mon May 27, 2019 12:15 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Such as? You used the term “a lot”, I don’t think there were any assumptions let alone “a lot” but please elaborate. Thanks


You mean other than you questioning his practice habits, work ethic, passion and love for the game?


Ya I haven't heard a single negative about his work ethic or a lack of passion for the game. No doubt he is very inconsistent and can disappear during games. But I think that is much more because a lack of assertiveness, than it is having a lack of love for the game.


I am merely speculating that he may not truly love basketball...and that's OK. But I sure as heck wouldn't pick him top 20. Reddish isn't an Alpha Male, heck he's whatever is below a Beta Male. He has done nothing on the court to justify being a lottery pick but he does great in workouts shooting the ball while being defended by air and all of a sudden we're literally supposed to forget his actual on court, or lack thereof performance during his freshman season? We do this every year with certain prospects, talk ourselves into and try to convince others that Player X really is good despite what took place on the actual court.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,004
And1: 40,832
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#395 » by clyde21 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:So Givony says Reddish was the stand out performer at the Phoenix pro day and said he wowed the scouts, Culver was at the workout as well. I think fit maybe the only thing that might keep Cam from climbing to #4 in this draft. But with a good chance that LA is looking to trade that pick, I wouldnt be shocked if Cam does go 4th if LA thinks Cam has the highest trade value after the main 3 guys in this draft. Really no surprise that Cam is the guy that is blowing away these workouts.

With all my negative things I have said about Cam, I could see why a team would take him high. I still think he has the 2nd highest ceiling in this draft, there is no denying the flashes that he showed during the year. With that said though, I still couldn't take him top 5. Cause even though I think he has the 2nd highest ceiling, I think he easily has the lowest floor and biggest bust potential out of any of the guys talked about going in the lotto.

I have said many times that I think Cam was put in a great position to succeed and still played horribly. But who knows, maybe K didn't know how to use him, wouldnt be the first time.


that's quite high for him, but I don't think Cam's floor is as low as we think...worst case scenario he's a 3+D guy, no? if you can put him in a system that doesn't require him to drive/handle and leverage his switchability on defense, you can get some production out of him even if he never reaches his ceiling.
gundysmullet
Rookie
Posts: 1,187
And1: 644
Joined: May 20, 2019

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#396 » by gundysmullet » Mon May 27, 2019 12:48 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So Givony says Reddish was the stand out performer at the Phoenix pro day and said he wowed the scouts, Culver was at the workout as well. I think fit maybe the only thing that might keep Cam from climbing to #4 in this draft. But with a good chance that LA is looking to trade that pick, I wouldnt be shocked if Cam does go 4th if LA thinks Cam has the highest trade value after the main 3 guys in this draft. Really no surprise that Cam is the guy that is blowing away these workouts.

With all my negative things I have said about Cam, I could see why a team would take him high. I still think he has the 2nd highest ceiling in this draft, there is no denying the flashes that he showed during the year. With that said though, I still couldn't take him top 5. Cause even though I think he has the 2nd highest ceiling, I think he easily has the lowest floor and biggest bust potential out of any of the guys talked about going in the lotto.

I have said many times that I think Cam was put in a great position to succeed and still played horribly. But who knows, maybe K didn't know how to use him, wouldnt be the first time.


that's quite high for him, but I don't think Cam's floor is as low as we think...worst case scenario he's a 3+D guy, no? if you can put him in a system that doesn't require him to drive/handle and leverage his switchability on defense, you can get some production out of him even if he never reaches his ceiling.


And I am inclined to agree with this, but if we are being 100% honest, what part of any of that screams top 10 pick? If he went to say Northwestern, or Iowa, or Pitt and put up those numbers no one would be talking about him being a top 10 pick. No one. But he had the McDonald’s All-American hype that was bolstered by the Duke mystique.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,989
And1: 26,185
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#397 » by Duke4life831 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So Givony says Reddish was the stand out performer at the Phoenix pro day and said he wowed the scouts, Culver was at the workout as well. I think fit maybe the only thing that might keep Cam from climbing to #4 in this draft. But with a good chance that LA is looking to trade that pick, I wouldnt be shocked if Cam does go 4th if LA thinks Cam has the highest trade value after the main 3 guys in this draft. Really no surprise that Cam is the guy that is blowing away these workouts.

With all my negative things I have said about Cam, I could see why a team would take him high. I still think he has the 2nd highest ceiling in this draft, there is no denying the flashes that he showed during the year. With that said though, I still couldn't take him top 5. Cause even though I think he has the 2nd highest ceiling, I think he easily has the lowest floor and biggest bust potential out of any of the guys talked about going in the lotto.

I have said many times that I think Cam was put in a great position to succeed and still played horribly. But who knows, maybe K didn't know how to use him, wouldnt be the first time.


that's quite high for him, but I don't think Cam's floor is as low as we think...worst case scenario he's a 3+D guy, no? if you can put him in a system that doesn't require him to drive/handle and leverage his switchability on defense, you can get some production out of him even if he never reaches his ceiling.


Ya I'm still probably looking at him a little harsh because of how it ended for him and Duke.

You're right, it really doesn't take much projecting for his defense. I thought he was a damn good defender and moved his feet very well defensively. Then with his shooting I think he will be similar to Bradley Beal. Similar jump shooting and FT numbers in college. But pretty easy to project as bring a good shooter because the form and touch.

So ya not to crazy to think how easy he can become a solid 6'8 3&D guy. I've probably been a little too harsh on him because of my emotional connection with Duke.
User avatar
Chuck Everett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,886
And1: 4,065
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#398 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 27, 2019 5:44 am

He played like a scrub. If he went to Iowa, none of you would be doing all of this caping. Why was the performance so bad, even when Zion was out? Ingram and Tatum balled when they attended Duke. So did Jabari and Hood. So did Deng. So did Winslow. Maybe he's not that good. Ji Yianlian looked good in workouts too. Then you get him in games and whoa buddy.
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,380
And1: 4,704
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#399 » by Dat2U » Mon May 27, 2019 5:49 am

Based on his Duke tape he's a complete project. Maybe he becomes a solid 3&D player in time? But upside? Meh. I don't see it. Upside is tied to b-ball IQ which is displayed in the decisions you make on the court.
prime1time
Rookie
Posts: 1,041
And1: 608
Joined: Nov 02, 2016
         

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#400 » by prime1time » Mon May 27, 2019 2:27 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Have you guys ever had a job, or done something really well that if you’re completely honest with yourself, you really didn’t enjoy? I did. I was a finance manager at a Lexus dealership and I was really good at it but I would get a pit in my stomach every morning before I came to work because I hated it so much but I did it because I was good at it and made decent money until I finally couldn’t take it anymore and quit. There are athletes like that as well, Andrew Bynum is on record as saying that he would rather have been a professional bowler but he got paid a ton of money to play basketball. I honestly believe Andrew Wiggins has no passion for the game either. I think Cam falls into this category too. Now that being said, I can’t blame his guys for taking the money, it would be crazy not to. But there are professional athletes that truly don’t enjoy the sport that they are getting paid millions of dollars to play. And if you are not truly passionate about something, you are less apt to work hard at it to improve.


you're making a lot of weird and baseless assumptions here


Such as? You used the term “a lot”, I don’t think there were any assumptions let alone “a lot” but please elaborate. Thanks

Is it that Cam doesn't like basketball or that a guy who's played the entire career with the ball on his hands, was now forced to completely change roles?

Return to NBA Draft