Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Cameron Reddish 

Post#541 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Fischella wrote:Some people here need to get a ban from this forum

As long as people are respectful, nobody's getting banned. There's a lot of great posts on each side. I thought the best post was one I didn't even agree with. Good discussion - for the most part.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#542 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#543 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:31 pm

It's a good one, I thought Reddish could be more like poor athlete Batum or Ingles, but he is even worse offensively than I thought, and I was low on his capabilites there

He def should try to watch those guys and follow that type of path
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#544 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:16 pm

I would say it looks like he needs some time in the G League. Maybe time down there playing in a league that plays 0 defense could be a good confidence booster. But he his a guy that Im afraid could essentially just mentally check out. Im not sure letting him to continue to drown in his NBA minutes is going to be helpful either.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#545 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:03 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I would say it looks like he needs some time in the G League. Maybe time down there playing in a league that plays 0 defense could be a good confidence booster. But he his a guy that Im afraid could essentially just mentally check out. Im not sure letting him to continue to drown in his NBA minutes is going to be helpful either.

Fischella wrote:It's a good one, I thought Reddish could be more like poor athlete Batum or Ingles, but he is even worse offensively than I thought, and I was low on his capabilites there

He def should try to watch those guys and follow that type of path

As someone who watches every game, the replay right after has cut clips of every game, especially for Cam Reddish. I come here expecting not to agree with people but just see what people's opinions on the outside are but when I come here, I am befuddled by what I read here on this site.

Like, it's not even 20% accurate. Honestly, this is to D4L, someone who is also a Duke fan with me, I am stunned by your opinion on Reddish.

You mention the G-League? Why? He has improved vastly each month. For this month, he has been our most effective wing. Defensively, he been very good on the perimeter for most of the season for a rookie and rotational in general. Outside of the Chicago game, his defense has either been very good or at least the best on the team for the month of December. That's via his nba.com profile, the eye test, etc. https://stats.nba.com/player/1629629/traditional/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=3

I am trying to figure out why the narrative on Reddish is so **** compared to the game tape, his recent production, and his overall impact. I literally have every play of him from synergy, cut clips, recordings, etc. Last night, we got beat by 23 points. He played 27 mins and finished with a +/- of 0 which was by far the best on the Hawks roster. I am really amazed by the opinions I see here and how off they are when in reference to Reddish. He really is becoming the new Trae Young where his preception is MUCH worse than the reality.

Fishcella, you too have really shocked me with such a terrible assertion. You literally said Cam Reddish, who moves like this is a poor athlete version of Joe Ingles and Nic Batum?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Looking at Ingles highlights, I don't see one clip where he is anywhere close to the speed and agility of Reddish. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Let's look at prime Batum:

Even less athletic than Ingles, just longer. Ingles is faster. Reddish looks like he has the superior speed to both players. Why do we come to RealGM and post nonsense and get mad when people like you are called out for it?

I could care less about your offensive capability post because it too is just a total farse but calling Reddish a poor athlete version of Ingles and Batum is maddeningly awful and one here I was like, really, I mean really?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#546 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:05 pm

I meant to say poorer athlete than Batum only, not Ingles, Batum is old and fat now, he has been injured, prime Batum was absolutely better athletically than Reddish

Ingles I'd say is about the same, functionally

Also, you are not objective when it comes to Reddish, that much is obvious
King Ken
General Manager

Post#547 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Fischella wrote:I meant to say poorer athlete than Batum only, not Ingles, Batum is old and fat now, he has been injured, prime Batum was absolutely better athletically than Reddish

Ingles I'd say is about the same, functionally

Also, you are not objective when it comes to Reddish, that much is obvious

I posted clips of prime Batum. Reddish is much faster than any version of Batum. So once again, you are wrong.
'I posted clips of Ingles, once again you are wrong. Why do you continue to lie on Cam Reddish? What is it that you have against him that you feel the need to lie every chance you get?

You never have any proof, I always have proof and you always cry because you are ALWAYS wrong. Why do you want me to feel sympathetic toward you when you are always lying and accusing me of bs?

Reddish is much faster without the ball than Batum and Ingles, all versions.
Reddish is MUCH faster with the ball than Batum and Ingles, all versions.

Reddish might not be explosive at all, but he is agile as hell, fast as ish and has excellent footwork. Cam is an excellent athlete. It's that he is more of a Lou Williams type than a Grant Hill or McGrady type.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#548 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:31 pm

I remember the first time I saw Batum - I had heard he was a phenominal defender, so I expected he'd be super-quick and was shocked to see how slow he was - but his length and agility more than made up for his lack of quix.

Ingles - definitely does not pass the eye test - he looks like a guy out of the local YMCA. He's a player I just can't figure out - is he ridiculously skilled, or is he a much better athlete than he looks like? I think it's mostly that he's very skilled, but he's an ok athlete.

I think Reddish is the best athlete of the 3 - by a significant amount, but he's a completely different player than Ingles - it's such an odd comparison imo. My view on Reddish was always - be the team that gets him on his 2nd contract - don't draft him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#549 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:37 pm

King Ken wrote:
As someone who watches every game, the replay right after has cut clips of every game, especially for Cam Reddish. I come here expecting not to agree with people but just see what people's opinions on the outside are but when I come here, I am befuddled by what I read here on this site.

Like, it's not even 20% accurate. Honestly, this is to D4L, someone who is also a Duke fan with me, I am stunned by your opinion on Reddish.

You mention the G-League? Why? He has improved vastly each month. For this month, he has been our most effective wing. Defensively, he been very good on the perimeter for most of the season for a rookie and rotational in general. Outside of the Chicago game, his defense has either been very good or at least the best on the team for the month of December. That's via his nba.com profile, the eye test, etc. https://stats.nba.com/player/1629629/traditional/?Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=3

I am trying to figure out why the narrative on Reddish is so **** compared to the game tape, his recent production, and his overall impact. I literally have every play of him from synergy, cut clips, recordings, etc. Last night, we got beat by 23 points. He played 27 mins and finished with a +/- of 0 which was by far the best on the Hawks roster. I am really amazed by the opinions I see here and how off they are when in reference to Reddish. He really is becoming the new Trae Young where his preception is MUCH worse than the reality.

I mentioned G League because he isn't playing good basketball and maybe seeing the ball go through the hoop playing the G League where defense isn't played could help his confidence.

Im not sure what the point is of showing the December split, its an ugly split. 11/5 with a 1:2 assist to TOV ratio (not 2:1 but 1:2), with a shooting split of 39/35/65? That is also including his 1 good game of the season, you take out the anomaly which was his 25 pt performance and his numbers really aren't all that different than from before.

However you want to slice it up, whether its PER, BPM, NetRating, PIE, RPM or whatever, they all point to Cam being arguably the worst player in the game getting big minutes. Then you add in the fact that Cam has yet to put together a consistent stretch of good play against legit competition in his life, that is why I question him, that is why I think some time in the G League where he can maybe get some easy buckets to get his confidence up so he isn't one of the worst offensive players in the league could help.

Maybe just maybe, all of us here who are critical of Cam aren't crazy. Maybe the combination of your Duke and Hawks bias is maybe clouding your view on this. This is coming from someone who admits my Duke bias clouds my judgment many times.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#550 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:I remember the first time I saw Batum - I had heard he was a phenominal defender, so I expected he'd be super-quick and was shocked to see how slow he was - but his length and agility more than made up for his lack of quix.

Ingles - definitely does not pass the eye test - he looks like a guy out of the local YMCA. He's a player I just can't figure out - is he ridiculously skilled, or is he a much better athlete than he looks like? I think it's mostly that he's very skilled, but he's an ok athlete.

I think Reddish is the best athlete of the 3 - by a significant amount, but he's a completely different player than Ingles - it's such an odd comparison imo. My view on Reddish was always - be the team that gets him on his 2nd contract - don't draft him.

The narrative of Cam Reddish is MUCH worse than the reality of him. I really like him on our team especially now that he is coming off the bench as a rotational player. He has been much more effective that way as has Alex Len.

Just in December alone: 39.5% FG% / 35% 3pt% / ORtg 91 via BBref; 13 for 37 from 3 - 28.6 MPG +/- of -1.6
Scoring in double figures for December as well. This has been a solid month for Reddish. He has been one of the our best wings this month which is a massive improvement compared to OCT and NOV.

Compared his previous months:

October: 20%FG/.5% 3FG/ORtg-63 Five games in October, 1-18 from 3
November: 32%FG/27% 3FG/ORtg-82

The Reddish narrative is much worse than the reality.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#551 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:15 pm

It might be interesting to see how Reddish does vs RJ in their rookie contracts. I think RJ's offensive splits are going down, while Cam's are going up. But this is Cam's thread, so I'm not gonna evaluate RJ here.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#552 » by King Ken » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
King Ken wrote:

I mentioned G League because he isn't playing good basketball and maybe seeing the ball go through the hoop playing the G League where defense isn't played could help his confidence.

Im not sure what the point is of showing the December split, its an ugly split. 11/5 with a 1:2 assist to TOV ratio (not 2:1 but 1:2), with a shooting split of 39/35/65? That is also including his 1 good game of the season, you take out the anomaly which was his 25 pt performance and his numbers really aren't all that different than from before.

However you want to slice it up, whether its PER, BPM, NetRating, PIE, RPM or whatever, they all point to Cam being arguably the worst player in the game getting big minutes. Then you add in the fact that Cam has yet to put together a consistent stretch of good play against legit competition in his life, that is why I question him, that is why I think some time in the G League where he can maybe get some easy buckets to get his confidence up so he isn't one of the worst offensive players in the league could help.

Maybe just maybe, all of us here who are critical of Cam aren't crazy. Maybe the combination of your Duke and Hawks bias is maybe clouding your view on this. This is coming from someone who admits my Duke bias clouds my judgment many times.

He played the game so it clearly wasn't an anomaly unless you want to consider he got a lot more touches that game for obvious reasons. You clearly want to twist the narrative because what you wrote initially doesn't make sense at all.

39.5% FG percentage rates:
For all players playing what you considering bigger minutes like Reddish. 18+MPG.
Cam's 39.5% rates him just below Jayson Tatum. Ahead of stars like Bradley Beal and D'lo Russell. Puts him as 55th worse FG.
https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=FG_PCT&dir=1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=12%2F01%2F2019&DateTo=12%2F31%2F2019&CF=MIN*G*18

So that's nothing to laugh at considering a large percentage of Reddish's catalog for the month has been from three. (50%)

35% puts him in the same range with Trae Young, P.J. Tucker, Monte Morris, Karl-Anthony Towns, Damyean Dotson, and Tobias Harris and above a lot of quality names like Jamal Murray, Coby White, Tyler Herro and many others as Cam rates in the 48 percentile for this month.

I can't speak to data points that cover the entire season while we all know Cam has not played well this season. I am only speaking to his improvement and your point was in reference to RIGHT NOW, not OCT or early NOV. So what good does PER, BPM, NetRating, PIE, RPM or whatever help in this case? It doesn't at all. Please, let address key points, don't bunny hop from topics when you made a SPECIFIC statement, one which I wholeheartedly disagree with.

Then you add in the fact that Cam has yet to put together a consistent stretch of good play against legit competition in his life,

I completely disagree and I say that as someone who watches EVERY game, multiple times, I have cut clips of EVERY game especially in regards to Reddish. His defense v. a number of teams has been consistent and worthy of good play. I find that statement of yours to be very misleading and truthfully, inaccurate. You keep focusing on offense but we really don't give Reddish that many touches. https://stats.nba.com/players/touches/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=3

Entire Season: https://stats.nba.com/players/touches/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

l of us here who are critical of Cam aren't crazy. Maybe the combination of your Duke and Hawks bias is maybe clouding your view on this. This is coming from someone who admits my Duke bias clouds my judgment many times.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I am really realistic with the Hawks players and always have been but there are players where I see them completely different than narrative. (Trae Young last year although this year, I seem to be even with the narrative) Al Horford, Josh Smith (I thought he sucked ass, the average fan and NBA guy liked him more than I did) and now Cam Reddish who I see as a potential two-way star who is currently raw offensively.

I think you guys who are anti are **** crazy. 100%. Just being honest. Usually, it doesn't help that a hater comes and says things like Cam is less athletic than Ingles and Batum. That usually takes me over the hill. I usually don't like to reply to these threads often. Once I make a point, you can simmer on it and take it as my gospel. I don't expect everyone to agree but when you watch as much hoops as I do, especially Hawks and I used to host podcasts, I think I have a great understanding of what I am talking about. I use as much data as is available.

I really don't like it when fans like yourself say that to me either. I don't have Hawks bias. If anything, I can be anti-bias for most of the Hawks players because I really know their talent level, abilities, potential, and skills. I can be Duke-bias, I just don't get a chance to watch enough other teams in college and I can be too negative on Coach K when it a reality, he has a better handle than we think.

This is my last post on this topic for a while. Just take it as gospel, I got too much to do. Next time you will see me here, I will be posting Cam highlights like usual.
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#553 » by crows2 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:22 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

See that’s just a rubbish take from someone who’s paid to write about the Hawks and is inherently biased. I watched the entire game and Reddish had very little impact on defence. He was constantly matched up on a non-shooting threat yet wasn’t able to add value any other way. Whenever he got switched onto LeBron, he couldn’t stay in front of him. Contrast that to Hunter who was matched up on LeBron one on one for much of the game and did about as well as any rookie could possibly hope against him. I came away from the game more impressed with Hunter’s impact and even less impressed with Reddish, as he’s not even impactful on defence which is meant to be his only positive currently.

Posting biased tweets like this that are vague and don’t provide any evidence of their assertion merely serves to muddy the waters and give a false positive impression of Reddish to people that didn’t actually watch the game. I get that Reddish was a part of the Doncic trade so Hawks fans are desperate to cling onto any positives with him, but it’s getting out of hand. Although it is mildly amusing seeing Hawks fans post on here after his 1 good game in every 10 and then remain silent after the other 9.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#554 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:21 pm

:dontknow:

C Reddish is avg 11 ppg 5 rpg in 29 mpg for the month of December.

He's been exceedingly just OK after being dreadful for the first 6 weeks.

I'm glad that you watched 1 Hawks game. I hope that you watch more. :hoop:
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#555 » by crows2 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::dontknow:

C Reddish is avg 11 ppg 5 rpg in 29 mpg for the month of December.

He's been exceedingly just OK after being dreadful for the first 6 weeks.

I'm glad that you watched 1 Hawks game. I hope that you watch more. :hoop:

The tweet you quoted and my subsequent post were in relation to Reddish’s defence in that game, not his December stats. His defence was non-impactful in the Lakers game yet a Hawks beat writer was seemingly misleading people into thinking he was great on that end.

I can see that you’re not so subtly attempting to minimise my opinion, but I’ve now watched a few Hawks games this season and will continue to because I’m actually a fan of Young, Hunter and Collins.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#556 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#557 » by The_Hater » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:50 am

Can we at least wait until Reddish puts up 2-3 solid games in a row before Hawks fans start screaming from the hills about the guy?

This game here was the first time in 20 GAMES that Reddish has hit more then 50% of his shots from the field. December 4th to be exact. And predictably, he followed this game up last night with a 3/10, 7-1-0 stinker. That’s why his TS% for the season still sits at 44%.

If the coach is going to give a player 25+ minutes every single game people shouldn’t be acting overly excited that he posted great numbers one game, they should be concerned be that it’s only happening once every few weeks.

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#558 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Does posting a tweet in an old thread really constitute “screaming from the hills”?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,079
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#559 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:19 pm

I'm not sure if he was actually good in high school, but those of us that have only watched Cam in the NCAA and the NBA haven't actually ever seen him string good games together.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#560 » by Stillwater » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:33 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I'm not sure if he was actually good in high school, but those of us that have only watched Cam in the NCAA and the NBA haven't actually ever seen him string good games together.

Has the tools, has the iq, lacks feel "off ball"and still struggles to finish through contact when he is on ball.
Got a long ways to go and it's not it's not like they are competing for anything beyond lottery position anyway this soon in the rebuild.
They should have waited to draft their unathletic no upside defensive turnstyle plug and play floor general for the end of the rebuild...now they just have the typical recipe for mediocrity if players like red don't improve significantly.
I would use reddish on ball when Trae is sitting, and see if you got anything
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to NBA Draft