Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: RJ Barrett 

Post#221 » by Marcus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 pm

paulbball wrote:Love it or hate it, RJ is that Westbrook/Kobe kind of player. He has to your #1 option chucking shots all game. Your team success will depend on his play that day.

And that is my love hate with RJ right now because I see this "I need to get mines" mentality and hate it. But i chalk it up to youth with a belief that like Russ and Mamba he's going to work on his game enough to where you won't be able to take anything from him again. Just not a fan of this type of performance. Even that 3 he hit during the run in the 2nd half was a missed swing pass.

This was a bad game for him but he will look better as the year goes on.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#222 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Marcus wrote:
paulbball wrote:Love it or hate it, RJ is that Westbrook/Kobe kind of player. He has to your #1 option chucking shots all game. Your team success will depend on his play that day.

And that is my love hate with RJ right now because I see this "I need to get mines" mentality and hate it. But i chalk it up to youth with a belief that like Russ and Mamba he's going to work on his game enough to where you won't be able to take anything from him again. Just not a fan of this type of performance. Even that 3 he hit during the run in the 2nd half was a missed swing pass.

I also think this gets magnified playing alongside Zion/Cam/Tre. I mean we are talking about 3 of the least selfish guys in the class. So when RJ goes into the "get mine" mode, it really sticks out like a sore thumb.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#223 » by Marcus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I also think this gets magnified playing alongside Zion/Cam/Tre. I mean we are talking about 3 of the least selfish guys in the class. So when RJ goes into the "get mine" mode, it really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Damn good point. If RJ was doing this on a one man team I'm likely not as critical. Very intriguing to see how the NBA season plays out and where he could potentially land. If he's not the most talented player out there how he handles that initial adjustment
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#224 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Damn good point. If RJ was doing this on a one man team I'm likely not as critical. Very intriguing to see how the NBA season plays out and where he could potentially land. If he's not the most talented player out there how he handles that initial adjustment

NY/CLE/ORL would probably be the ideal landing spots for him. All 3 of those teams he probably wouldn't get much hesitation for being ball dominant.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#225 » by Marcus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

NY/CLE/ORL would probably be the ideal landing spots for him. All 3 of those teams he probably wouldn't get much hesitation for being ball dominant.

Healthy KP and Knox I dunno if Fiz let's RJ run around unchecked but If he hasn't pulled reins on THJ and Trier yet then it's possible.

Fully agree with the other two though. Orlando needs one (and I actually like AG) and Cavs will take any infusion of life on the floor.
TYO23
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#226 » by TYO23 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Marcus wrote:I understand the love for his mindset but dude is selfish across the board.

Yeah sometimes he can go a bit far being shot happy.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#227 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Out of Zion, Red, and Barrett, this dude is by far the most inefficient. Even his movements are inefficient.

I think Zion and Red are clearly ahead of RJ at this point.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#228 » by clyde21 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Not a good player to have in today's NBA environment, IMO. At least a guy like Westbrook is a willing passer. If you're gonna go full Kobe today in the NBA, you're gonna lose a lot of games. Point blank.

My comparison for him is DeMar. Good athlete, can get to the rim...but not a fan of the IQ so far and he's not really that aware of his surroundings.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#229 » by King Ken » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:36 am

clyde21 wrote:

Not a good player to have in today's NBA environment, IMO. At least a guy like Westbrook is a willing passer. If you're gonna go full Kobe today in the NBA, you're gonna lose a lot of games. Point blank.

My comparison for him is DeMar. Good athlete, can get to the rim...but not a fan of the IQ so far and he's not really that aware of his surroundings.
He is a lot better than DeMar at this stage and it's not even close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
clyde21
RealGM

Post#230 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:19 am

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

He is a lot better than DeMar at this stage and it's not even close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, but I'm not comparing them as prospects.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#231 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:24 pm

well the thing with RJ is that he lacks an intermediate game at the moment, he needs to slow down there, with it's hard to do cause his premium assets is that his 2nd and 3rd steps are incredibly quick, I think if he can be avg from 3, esp from the corners, and his play-making improves, you can get a stud wing, which is good, but the Cam and Nas over RJ train is lurking
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#232 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Very good game from RJ last night vs SDSU. Didn't force as much this time around, attacked with his head up and found dumpoffs and kickouts. Actually appeared to be setup teammates with passes as opposed to bailing himself out. Still needs some shake to his handle but even something as simple as lowering his dribble when he goes into his drive would help. If he's not going to shake he can protect and burst out the protect and drive that way. Also becoming more and more impressed with his ability to play the glass on some of those "how did he get that off" layups that he does so much.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#233 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:33 pm

RJ:
20 shots a game
50 TS%

Zion:
11.5 shots a game
71 TS%

Cam:
12 shots per game
62 TS%

RJ has taken 42 more shots than Zion while making only 1 more shot. RJ 100 total shots on the year vs 118 combined for Zion and Cam. RJ averaging 20 shots a game.Trae Young last year 19 shots a game.

In other words, RJ you aren't stuck on a one man team. You are playing with 2 other top 5 draft picks who are playing very well. It would do everyone involved a big body if RJ cut back on the stupid shots and spread the ball more. There were multiple fast breaks last night that RJ was running and instead of making the easy pass for the easy score, he kept it for himself for the much harder shot.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#234 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:RJ:
20 shots a game
50 TS%

Zion:
11.5 shots a game
71 TS%

Cam:
12 shots per game
62 TS%

RJ has taken 42 more shots than Zion while making only 1 more shot. RJ 100 total shots on the year vs 118 combined for Zion and Cam. RJ averaging 20 shots a game.Trae Young last year 19 shots a game.

In other words, RJ you aren't stuck on a one man team. You are playing with 2 other top 5 draft picks who are playing very well. It would do everyone involved a big body if RJ cut back on the stupid shots and spread the ball more. There were multiple fast breaks last night that RJ was running and instead of making the easy pass for the easy score, he kept it for himself for the much harder shot.

he still does take some wtf shots but like i said in the other thread I really do think RJ needs to be a volume guy to activate the other aspects of his game. You can see it in his body language on the floor that he definitely starts to feel like "if no one else will, then i'll take it" especially with Zion and Cam. Tre seems to be the only one he might not pull that with but i do think that has more to do with Tre's control of the game than anything else.

real quick, how much do you think Coach K's sub pattern play into not over-extending these kids? Even without the foul trouble he's done a lot of quick subs so we're rarely getting a ton of back to back bad plays. Tre, Jack White, and RJ seemingly are the ones he keeps on the floor more often than not. Is that a K thing or is he saving these kids from themselves?
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#235 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:RJ:
20 shots a game
50 TS%

Zion:
11.5 shots a game
71 TS%

Cam:
12 shots per game
62 TS%

he still does take some wtf shots but like i said in the other thread I really do think RJ needs to be a volume guy to activate the other aspects of his game. You can see it in his body language on the floor that he definitely starts to feel like "if no one else will, then i'll take it" especially with Zion and Cam. Tre seems to be the only one he might not pull that with but i do think that has more to do with Tre's control of the game than anything else.

real quick, how much do you think Coach K's sub pattern play into not over-extending these kids? Even without the foul trouble he's done a lot of quick subs so we're rarely getting a ton of back to back bad plays. Tre, Jack White, and RJ seemingly are the ones he keeps on the floor more often than not. Is that a K thing or is he saving these kids from themselves?

I'm more than cool with RJ being the leading shot taker. But I think there is a level to that and the majority of time he over does it. You cut down the 1-2 bad fast breaks he runs a game when he keeps it himself instead of the easy smart pass and 3-5 bad forced shots he takes, I would be cool with his play offensively.

When it comes to Tre and Jack, it's clear as day K trusts those guys on both sides of the ball (which he should). When it comes to RJ, I honestly think he just stays out there longer than the other 2 because he plays 0 defense and always stays out of foul trouble. So when Zion or Cam get into foul trouble early on, I think K wants to try and keep at least 2 of the stud wings out there at once. So RJ just is the guy that gets to stay out there a lot.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#236 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah. RJ looks like he gets too caught up in being the man and forces the issue a lot more than he should. I thought he did a pretty good job SD State game being more selfless but then Auburn happened and it was all for not. Definitely should be an area of focus for him.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,990

Post#237 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Marcus wrote:I understand the love for his mindset but dude is selfish across the board.

Wasn't he supposed to be the opposite. This is disappointing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#238 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Wasn't he supposed to be the opposite. This is disappointing.

that was the rumor. It's a part of the Harden theme which i still don't personally see.
Watch More Basketball

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#239 » by reanimator » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:07 am

RJ's play in the last 2 minutes of the Gonzaga game was comedy.

Coach K has to sit him down and make it clear that Zion is the head honcho in the halfcourt going forward.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#240 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:11 am

Ballhog

Pass the ball

Return to NBA Draft