Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: RJ Barrett 

Post#161 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Ignoring actual skills and traits vs accomplishments is a sure path to failure.

He played very well for team Canada this summer, surrounded by NBA guys, and if you didnt know, you would never have guessed he is straight out of highschool. His game is super mature and flat out skilled.

I don't think you and I disagree very much, if at all, but we're on opposite ends here on RJ. I think you said you saw a Manu player on the Knicks board (I might be mistaken?), but I don't see that at all. RJ's passing is definitely underrated, but Manu was essentially a PG in a SG body. Then there's the issue of RJ's shot being inconsistent at best. RJ has more positional versatility between the 2-3 and more defensive potential, but meh...I'm lukewarm on him. As of now, I have him somewhere in the bottom of my tier 1 guy(s)/top of tier 2.

All that said, he can definitely change my perception of him with how he plays this year, and my current opinion is just off of the FIBA/AAU things I've seen. Need the season to start.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#162 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Ignoring actual skills and traits vs accomplishments is a sure path to failure.

He played very well for team Canada this summer, surrounded by NBA guys, and if you didnt know, you would never have guessed he is straight out of highschool. His game is super mature and flat out skilled.

I don't think you and I disagree very much, if at all, but we're on opposite ends here on RJ. I think you said you saw a Manu player on the Knicks board (I might be mistaken?), but I don't see that at all. RJ's passing is definitely underrated, but Manu was essentially a PG in a SG body. Then there's the issue of RJ's shot being inconsistent at best. RJ has more positional versatility between the 2-3 and more defensive potential, but meh...I'm lukewarm on him. As of now, I have him somewhere in the bottom of my tier 1 guy(s)/top of tier 2.

All that said, he can definitely change my perception of him with how he plays this year, and my current opinion is just off of the FIBA/AAU things I've seen. Need the season to start.

Yes, I compared him to Manu. I think he is getting underrated now since he is not the most exciting explosive player. He is kinda like Doncic to me, when you watch game and how he controls it, its very impressive and reminiscent of guys like Manu.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#163 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:27 pm

BigTimeFA2LA wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

He's going to be an All star player and top 5 pick but I Def don't see top 10 player in his prime for RJ. He's Overhyped

This is how Ive always kind of viewed RJ. I never thought he was a bad prospect, I always thought he was a good one. But I never saw a guy worth tanking for or taking with the #1 pick for. I still feel this way. I dont think there is a single person wishing to be more wrong on him than me, I would love to see him come in at Duke and dominate and become the consensus #1 pick. I just dont see it happening. Again good prospect, but not an elite one.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#164 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:30 am

cgf wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Way early for me to put too much weight into player comparisons, even my own, but as a ceiling maybe what O.J. Mayo could have been if he had better height and length and a much better head on his shoulders?

...so like a longer Harden/Ginobli?

No. Better head on his shoulders like not a dust head. Not like some significantly genius bbiq savant like those 2.

Pretty much like Mayo in style and ability, just with better ability to finish, defend and get his shot off due to a couple extra inches of height and long arms instead of the alligator arms Mayo has.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#165 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:39 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
BigTimeFA2LA wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

He's going to be an All star player and top 5 pick but I Def don't see top 10 player in his prime for RJ. He's Overhyped

This is how Ive always kind of viewed RJ. I never thought he was a bad prospect, I always thought he was a good one. But I never saw a guy worth tanking for or taking with the #1 pick for. I still feel this way. I dont think there is a single person wishing to be more wrong on him than me, I would love to see him come in at Duke and dominate and become the consensus #1 pick. I just dont see it happening. Again good prospect, but not an elite one.

Yeah, as of now I'm on this train as well. It's nothing against him, but when I watched a couple of his preseason games and a bunch of highlights I'm just not seeing this elite prospect either. And as you guys have said, that isn't to hate him, or hate on him, he seems pretty can't miss as a good long term starter with some nice upside, probably make a couple All Star games, but I just don't see the elite franchise player level prospect many others do, at this time.

Maybe I'll watch a bunch of him this year and wind up coming along on him, but right now Idk, I just see a really nice prospect who I'd be excited about if my team drafted him, but not elated.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#166 » by Upperclass » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:07 am

I don't know..I guess we'll see.. But I see alpha mind set without the impact skills to match in the Ron Mercer, Evan Turner, Reggie Freeman type mold
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#167 » by No-Man » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 am

I think he is Jimmy Butler with Ginobili's moves
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#168 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:38 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
BigTimeFA2LA wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Agreed here. I think Little, Zion and Doumbouya are better prospects. He's #4 for me at this point.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#169 » by UcanUwill » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
BigTimeFA2LA wrote:He's going to be an All star player and top 5 pick but I Def don't see top 10 player in his prime for RJ. He's Overhyped

Agreed here. I think Little, Zion and Doumbouya are better prospects. He's #4 for me at this point.

Whats so great about Doumbouya? Not like I watched him a ton, but I dont get whats all this fuz is about. Smells like classic take athlete over actual player type mistake/overreaction.
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#170 » by Dundalis » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 am

Alatan wrote:
juanc wrote:
Alatan wrote:Bust.

I see that you really hate those high basketball IQ players such as Doncic and RJ. Who are your favourite players from 2018 and 2019 draft if I may ask?

I dont hate high IQ players i hate overhyped average players. Barret has no elite skill yet has a lot of weaknesses. He will be an average player in the NBA and that means he will be a bust as a top pick. Same goes for Doncic. And Barret doesnt have high IQ either.

Doncic doesn't have elite passing skills? Think it's obvious to anyone with eyes that his vision and passing is absolutely elite.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#171 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:37 am

UcanUwill wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Whats so great about Doumbouya? Not like I watched him a ton, but I dont get whats all this fuz is about. Smells like classic take athlete over actual player type mistake/overreaction.

I have watched him a ton (every Synergy clip and many games), and you are right. I’m not RJ’s biggest fan, but Sekou is overrated at the moment.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#172 » by GimmeDat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:28 am

^Agree with the Sekou is overrated notion. A lottery pick, by all means, but he looks like a role player and one who has to refine a lot of skills to be an elite role player.

RJ might get a little overrated based on his performances versus actual translatable star factor, but that's within the realm of #1 versus lower in the top 5. Sekou getting looks in the top 5, I think, is overrating him.
The Flying Gent
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Post#173 » by The Flying Gent » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:39 am

Barrett has been nearly unanimously the top guy among the media/analysts for a while, highlighted by 247 releasing the 1st 2019 big board today with him on top. NBAdraft updated the other day and ESPN about a month or so ago both also with him #1

(https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NBA-Draft-2019-Big-Board-RJ-Barrett-leads-ranking-of-best-players-123707926/)

The disconnect between that and the perspectives here is interesting.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#174 » by UcanUwill » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:56 pm

The Flying Gent wrote:Barrett has been nearly unanimously the top guy among the media/analysts for a while, highlighted by 247 releasing the 1st 2019 big board today with him on top. NBAdraft updated the other day and ESPN about a month or so ago both also with him #1

(https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NBA-Draft-2019-Big-Board-RJ-Barrett-leads-ranking-of-best-players-123707926/)

The disconnect between that and the perspectives here is interesting.

realGM Overthinking
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#175 » by CptCrunch » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 pm

I don't think RJ is #1 based on stats/eye-test but he is by far #1 based on resume.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#176 » by GameBredAPBT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:56 am

RJ is so much like Kobe
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#177 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:59 pm

paulbball wrote:I don't think RJ is #1 based on stats/eye-test but he is by far #1 based on resume.

He's always been more effective than he is impressive to my eyes. At this point I have to consider that I'm just reading his talent wrong.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#178 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:27 pm

I will say this, I think his explosion has been improving over the last couple years. He has become a pretty impressive straight line athlete. When he gets some room he can be pretty damn fast and the dude can really explode. With that said, I still dislike the lack of wiggle in his game. He is just a very stiff athlete, kind of like Harrison Barnes. But he is a very crafty scorer that can score with either hand. He needs to really improve his handle (still dribbles really high) and needs that 3pt shot to be consistent. If he can do those 2 things, I am finally starting to come around to seeing the star potential.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#179 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I will say this, I think his explosion has been improving over the last couple years. He has become a pretty impressive straight line athlete. When he gets some room he can be pretty damn fast and the dude can really explode. With that said, I still dislike the lack of wiggle in his game. He is just a very stiff athlete, kind of like Harrison Barnes. But he is a very crafty scorer that can score with either hand. He needs to really improve his handle (still dribbles really high) and needs that 3pt shot to be consistent. If he can do those 2 things, I am finally starting to come around to seeing the star potential.

you think number 1 is RJ's to lose?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#180 » by No-Man » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:48 pm

I think Zion has taken over

Return to NBA Draft