RJ Barrett

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Re: RJ Barrett 

Post#721 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 1, 2019 3:25 am

clyde21 wrote:Never seen a player receive so much hate after a such a historic freshmen season...we'd be legit be talking about one of Duke's best FS seasons ever if it wasn't for Zion have THE greatest season of all time at the collegiate level...

he's easily a 20/5/5 guy in the NBA. only questions are efficiency and how his game accommodates other stars.

I disagree. Duke wouldn’t have made the tourney without Zion. Barrett May have had big numbers on an awful team. Who cares.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#722 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 3:28 am

Chi town wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Never seen a player receive so much hate after a such a historic freshmen season...we'd be legit be talking about one of Duke's best FS seasons ever if it wasn't for Zion have THE greatest season of all time at the collegiate level...

he's easily a 20/5/5 guy in the NBA. only questions are efficiency and how his game accommodates other stars.

I disagree. Duke wouldn’t have made the tourney without Zion. Barrett May have had big numbers on an awful team. Who cares.

Barrett and Zion aren't good fits together and especially Barrett isn't a good fit on this team because of the lack of shooting...

FYI...in the 6 games Zion missed, Barrett's FG% went up to 50% from 45% for the year.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,212

Post#723 » by rapstarter » Mon Apr 1, 2019 3:44 am

One thing I want to note: I don't think people appreciate just how MUCH he's played this season. He played every single game of the season and averaged 35MPG while on 32USG%. And in March, it only got worse. That's a lot to ask from a freshman on a team expected to do great things.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#724 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Apr 1, 2019 3:59 am

Btw... I still take Barret no lower than 3rd.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,675

Post#725 » by VanWest82 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 4:28 am

A big part of the issue is how he gets his stats. He takes and makes (and misses) a lot of bad shots. So many of them are just him jumping into two defenders in the paint and throwing up a circus shot. He takes a lot of out of rhythm threes too.

His assist numbers are inflated from all those lobs over the top to Zion in the post that won't be there at the next level. NBA players aren't going to double him and give him that easy assist on the slip screen either. They'll force him to drive and take a tough MR shot knowing he can't beat anyone off the dribble to collapse the defense.

I think RJ is going to be one of the rare top recruits whose game is actually better suited for college. He's a lot like Evan Turner -- a heady player who lacks the athleticism and outside shot to really take advantage of the better spacing in the NBA. It hurts him that he isn't a good off ball player either. He's just a tricky fit.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#726 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:13 am

VanWest82 wrote:

A big part of the issue is how he gets his stats. He takes and makes (and misses) a lot of bad shots. So many of them are just him jumping into two defenders in the paint and throwing up a circus shot. He takes a lot of out of rhythm threes too.

His assist numbers are inflated from all those lobs over the top to Zion in the post that won't be there at the next level. NBA players aren't going to double him and give him that easy assist on the slip screen either. They'll force him to drive and take a tough MR shot knowing he can't beat anyone off the dribble to collapse the defense.

I think RJ is going to be one of the rare top recruits whose game is actually better suited for college. He's a lot like Evan Turner -- a heady player who lacks the athleticism and outside shot to really take advantage of the better spacing in the NBA. It hurts him that he isn't a good off ball player either. He's just a tricky fit.

i mean I am with u and have been saying this: he can be a black hole offensively and decision making needs to be greatly improved. i was saying this before this season even started...but at the same time the kids 18 and has been historically productive as a freshmen so at what point can we give him some benefit of the doubt that he's going to get better here?

also regarding the his decision making, we also have to understand that what he likes to do is to attack the basket...his entire game is predicated on driving and it evolves from there...and this team has been absolutely terrible for that given that 1) there's very little outside shooting across the board, and 2) teams are packing the paint even MORE because of Zion.

put him on a team with shooters where he can be a triple option (shoot, attack, drive-kick) and you're gonna get a player that is much better in terms of efficiency and decision making in my opinion.

and the Evan Turner comp is a weird one. RJ is an infinitely better player as a freshmen than Turner was even as a jr. Not even close in terms of development trajectory.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#727 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 7:59 am

Chi town wrote:

I'm wondering if there maybe is pychological reason the Canadians national team develops 1st option players like Derozen.

Wiggins-maybe Barrett?

But most would say their is a huge gulf between Wiggins and Derozen.

I'm thinking Jimmy Butler offense with Derozen defense.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#728 » by Neeva » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:00 am

Chi town wrote:So where does a guy play in the league that can’t shoot and doesn’t play any D???

Knicks
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#729 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 1, 2019 1:23 pm

Read on Twitter
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#730 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 1:43 pm

Don't be fooled by RJ's volume; it's an easy trap to fall into. Efficiency is a huge concern.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#731 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 1:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:also regarding the his decision making, we also have to understand that what he likes to do is to attack the basket...his entire game is predicated on driving and it evolves from there...and this team has been absolutely terrible for that given that 1) there's very little outside shooting across the board, and 2) teams are packing the paint even MORE because of Zion.

The problem runs deeper. He struggles beating his primary defender off the dribble in the halfcourt. He can get guys on his hip but doesn't take advantage of it very well. His first step isn't all that good and at the moment he doesn't have a go-to dribble move to get past someone if he can't get a blow-by. It's not like every bad shot he took or struggle around the rim was due to a packed paint. He made a lot of bad decisions or missed bunnies in transition or where there was only one help defender.

Unless you are Zion or LeBron, a red flag should be raised when you catch the ball, scan the floor, see three defenders and two teammates in the paint and your thought process is "gee, let me drive in there as hard as I can and see what happens". His instincts and feel for the game leave a lot to be desired.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#732 » by Chi town » Mon Apr 1, 2019 3:01 pm

Neeva wrote:
Chi town wrote:So where does a guy play in the league that can’t shoot and doesn’t play any D???

Knicks

:nod: just made me LOL
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#733 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:45 pm

He's an 18 year old freshman. He's been extremely productive but inefficient.

As he gets older, he'll get better.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#734 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:53 pm

SmoothLefty21 wrote:

Don't be fooled by RJ's volume; it's an easy trap to fall into. Efficiency is a huge concern.

of course efficiency is a concern but it's important to put it into context:

1) no shooting on his team

2) teams were paying the paint even harder because of Zion

it really was a terrible situation for RJ...which again why his shooting % went from 45% to 50% when Zion missed those 6 games.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#735 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:32 pm

SmoothLefty21 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:also regarding the his decision making, we also have to understand that what he likes to do is to attack the basket...his entire game is predicated on driving and it evolves from there...and this team has been absolutely terrible for that given that 1) there's very little outside shooting across the board, and 2) teams are packing the paint even MORE because of Zion.

The problem runs deeper. He struggles beating his primary defender off the dribble in the halfcourt. He can get guys on his hip but doesn't take advantage of it very well. His first step isn't all that good and at the moment he doesn't have a go-to dribble move to get past someone if he can't get a blow-by. It's not like every bad shot he took or struggle around the rim was due to a packed paint. He made a lot of bad decisions or missed bunnies in transition or where there was only one help defender.

This is the biggest issue I see with him, is that he struggles to create separation consistently. He'd have to improve his handle and/or add the threat of a pull-up jumper to solve that issue. Both pretty tough things to accomplish.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,675

Post#736 » by VanWest82 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 10:56 pm

Another little tidbit that's bugged me all year about RJ, and it's one of those "something, nothing, or everything" questions I can't quite figure out: every time Duke gets a rebound RJ comes rushing back to take the ball, and without fail whoever grabbed the board will look him off and try and find Tre with RJ standing there, arms outstretched as if to say "give me the damn ball." It's weird.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#737 » by doordoor123 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 10:58 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Another little tidbit that's bugged me all year about RJ, and it's one of those "something, nothing, or everything" questions where I oscillate: every time Duke gets a rebound RJ comes rushing back to take the ball, and without fail whoever grabbed the board will look him off and try and find Tre. It's weird.

It makes sense, Tre can’t shoot. The only value he has on offense is passing and handling the ball. No point in having him on the floor if he isn’t passing and handling.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#738 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 1, 2019 11:17 pm

Hey, he makes up the poor shooting with volume! Actually, I'm a fan. He's one of those players where you gotta choose to either look at the glass half full rather than half empty. The half full part is really good. And a lot of the half empty parts are correctible. Hopefully he gets with a team that has strong veterans who will mentor him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#739 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:15 am

Ruzious wrote:

Hey, he makes up the poor shooting with volume! Actually, I'm a fan. He's one of those players where you gotta choose to either look at the glass half full rather than half empty. The half full part is really good. And a lot of the half empty parts are correctible. Hopefully he gets with a team that has strong veterans who will mentor him.

He also needs a coach that will hold him accountable defensively. Or he will continue being lazy on that end.

I wonder which lottery team would be best for him, maybe Atlanta?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#740 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:29 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

He also needs a coach that will hold him accountable defensively. Or he will continue being lazy on that end.

I wonder which lottery team would be best for him, maybe Atlanta?

He did a good job defensively in the tournament.

Return to NBA Draft