Emoni Bates

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 5,236
And1: 2,870
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#61 » by VCfor3 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 pm

TYO23 wrote:I thought the prevailing thought was that Bates would do a year at Memphis and then go to the G League?

I thought the same. One year at Memphis to make some of that good Fedex money, play with Duran, and work with Penny and his star studded coaching staff (that haven't proven much at the college level yet) and then likely off to the G league or another professional league for year 2.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,633
And1: 3,307
Joined: Sep 29, 2008

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#62 » by tundraknight » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:32 pm

4-time NBA All Star Penny Hardaway was such a fun player to watch during his prime in a Magic uni.

But now it’s time to see what he’s made of as a college coach when he has talent to work with. As he’s armed with two Top 5 recruits in Bates and Duren.

Both of those players games should compliment each others nicely with inside physical/power presence and outside shooting/scoring.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,125
And1: 48,032
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:09 pm

tundraknight wrote:4-time NBA All Star Penny Hardaway was such a fun player to watch during his prime in a Magic uni.

But now it’s time to see what he’s made of as a college coach when he has talent to work with. As he’s armed with two Top 5 recruits in Bates and Duren.

Both of those players games should compliment each others nicely with inside physical/power presence and outside shooting/scoring.


He's already had talent to work with and he has done nothing of note. 2020 he had 3 top 50 recruits, plus the 60th ranked recruit and a Sophomore that was also a top 100 recruit. Ya that might not be great talent for a power conference but Memphis doesnt play in a power conference and ended up coming in 5th in the AAC.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,369
And1: 61,417
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#64 » by clyde21 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:4-time NBA All Star Penny Hardaway was such a fun player to watch during his prime in a Magic uni.

But now it’s time to see what he’s made of as a college coach when he has talent to work with. As he’s armed with two Top 5 recruits in Bates and Duren.

Both of those players games should compliment each others nicely with inside physical/power presence and outside shooting/scoring.


He's already had talent to work with and he has done nothing of note. 2020 he had 3 top 50 recruits, plus the 60th ranked recruit and a Sophomore that was also a top 100 recruit. Ya that might not be great talent for a power conference but Memphis doesnt play in a power conference and ended up coming in 5th in the AAC.


yea, Memphis has had plenty of talent the last few years, he's not really done anything with it, not really sure how he keeps getting these dudes other than being Penny Hardaway lol
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,125
And1: 48,032
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#65 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:4-time NBA All Star Penny Hardaway was such a fun player to watch during his prime in a Magic uni.

But now it’s time to see what he’s made of as a college coach when he has talent to work with. As he’s armed with two Top 5 recruits in Bates and Duren.

Both of those players games should compliment each others nicely with inside physical/power presence and outside shooting/scoring.


He's already had talent to work with and he has done nothing of note. 2020 he had 3 top 50 recruits, plus the 60th ranked recruit and a Sophomore that was also a top 100 recruit. Ya that might not be great talent for a power conference but Memphis doesnt play in a power conference and ended up coming in 5th in the AAC.


yea, Memphis has had plenty of talent the last few years, he's not really done anything with it, not really sure how he keeps getting these dudes other than being Penny Hardaway lol


Yup, since he’s been there he’s been getting beat out by teams like Houston, UCF, and Temple. He’s had the #1 recruiting class in the AAC every years he’s been there.

He is no doubt just living off his name recognition. Because when you look at what he’s done in a conference where he should be dominating, it’s been a huge let down.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 39,303
And1: 11,668
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#66 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
tundraknight wrote:4-time NBA All Star Penny Hardaway was such a fun player to watch during his prime in a Magic uni.

But now it’s time to see what he’s made of as a college coach when he has talent to work with. As he’s armed with two Top 5 recruits in Bates and Duren.

Both of those players games should compliment each others nicely with inside physical/power presence and outside shooting/scoring.


He's already had talent to work with and he has done nothing of note. 2020 he had 3 top 50 recruits, plus the 60th ranked recruit and a Sophomore that was also a top 100 recruit. Ya that might not be great talent for a power conference but Memphis doesnt play in a power conference and ended up coming in 5th in the AAC.


yea, Memphis has had plenty of talent the last few years, he's not really done anything with it, not really sure how he keeps getting these dudes other than being Penny Hardaway lol

The weirdest part is that Penny wasn’t even any good when these guys were born
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 52,369
And1: 61,417
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#67 » by clyde21 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
He's already had talent to work with and he has done nothing of note. 2020 he had 3 top 50 recruits, plus the 60th ranked recruit and a Sophomore that was also a top 100 recruit. Ya that might not be great talent for a power conference but Memphis doesnt play in a power conference and ended up coming in 5th in the AAC.


yea, Memphis has had plenty of talent the last few years, he's not really done anything with it, not really sure how he keeps getting these dudes other than being Penny Hardaway lol


Yup, since he’s been there he’s been getting beat out by teams like Houston, UCF, and Temple. He’s had the #1 recruiting class in the AAC every years he’s been there.

He is no doubt just living off his name recognition. Because when you look at what he’s done in a conference where he should be dominating, it’s been a huge let down.


not just that but he's not really improving anyone's draft stock either, Moussa Cisse and Boogie Ellis had to transfer out, guys like Nolley, Quinones and Jeffries got lost in the shuffle and haven't really improved their stock at all, in fact one can argue that Nolley's stock was higher at VT than it is with Penny @ Memphis, you can say Wiseman/Achiuwa I guess but both were looked at at the range they were drafted in before ever stepping a foot in Memphis.
#VivaPalestina#VivaColumbia#VivaNaija

#LoadedLions #CronosChimpClub
BostonCouchGM
Analyst
Posts: 3,390
And1: 2,466
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#68 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Oct 4, 2021 10:14 pm

Penny is clearly a solid recruiter but besides Wiseman, who he barely had, he hasn't exactly gotten top guys. Wiseman barely played and Precious is a very raw big dependent on guards to get touches. I'll withhold judgement until I see him get true top guards or wings and they fail under him.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 27,125
And1: 48,032
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#69 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 11:53 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Penny is clearly a solid recruiter but besides Wiseman, who he barely had, he hasn't exactly gotten top guys. Wiseman barely played and Precious is a very raw big dependent on guards to get touches. I'll withhold judgement until I see him get true top guards or wings and they fail under him.


How many schools in the AAC get a higher rated guard recruit than Boogie Ellis? Boogie was a Duke commit and left for Memphis. Boogie is now playing for USC.

Again Penny isn’t competing against teams like Duke, UK, or other power conference schools. He is competing against mid major teams. The fact that he hasn’t won the AAC yet is bad.
SeattleJazzFan
Starter
Posts: 2,290
And1: 1,055
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#70 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Oct 6, 2021 8:49 pm

So this happened

Image
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 33,011
And1: 20,390
Joined: Jul 26, 2008
Location: You don't know my location but I know yours
     

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#71 » by DG88 » Wed Oct 6, 2021 8:58 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:So this happened

Image

Was going to post this....uhhh please tell me that's a typo. 6-7 wingspan???
Image
SeattleJazzFan
Starter
Posts: 2,290
And1: 1,055
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#72 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:03 pm

DG88 wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:So this happened

Image

Was going to post this....uhhh please tell me that's a typo. 6-7 wingspan???


doesn't seem that way.

none of those numbers are good. the vert numbers are poor, the shuttle, sprint and agility numbers aren't good.

you'd think they'd be doing damage control if it were a typo. because yeah, 6'7" span is a major problem.

Duren otoh, did really well and measured about as good as one could have expected.
User avatar
PrinceAli
RealGM
Posts: 11,101
And1: 17,767
Joined: Mar 11, 2018
         

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#73 » by PrinceAli » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:24 pm

Those measurements are terrible. Negative wingspan, small hands, poor vertical

Bates might’ve really hurt his stock by participating in this. Hopefully he’s still growing cause otherwise those KD comparisons are gonna die quickly
Image
Slim Charlez
Veteran
Posts: 2,505
And1: 2,655
Joined: Jan 15, 2017
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#74 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Oct 7, 2021 12:00 am

Threw up a little in my mouth after seeing those measurements. Hope he develops his skill set fast because he's going to be at a disadvantage physically.
User avatar
CptCrunch
Analyst
Posts: 3,084
And1: 2,974
Joined: Jun 30, 2016
 

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#75 » by CptCrunch » Thu Oct 7, 2021 12:12 am

PrinceAli wrote:Those measurements are terrible. Negative wingspan, small hands, poor vertical

Bates might’ve really hurt his stock by participating in this. Hopefully he’s still growing cause otherwise those KD comparisons are gonna die quickly


These are by far the worst combine numbers I've seen for a lotto wing.

Penny should have buried the number and have Bates skip the combine too.

These results are frankly beyond catastrophic.

Height: His height is likely 6'7"-6'8" listed as 6'9". We all see that his wingspan is best equal to his height.

Weight: His weight is low for a 6'9" listed player. You want a healthy 220 lb there. This is Brandon Ingram college level weight.

Hangs: His hand length puts him 60th out of 65 players based on last year's combine. So that is bottom 8 percentile. His hand width puts him 63rd out of 65th. He is tied for 5th narrowest in the last 5 years. This dude's hand is small. All the small hand p layers are small PG sized players, not 6'9" wing players.

Vertical: his running vert is 62nd out of 65 based on last year's combine. His standing vert is 63rd. Keep in mind that the people down here are centers/PF .

Agility: Memphis' 3/4 court and lane agility are both incorrectly set up. He slower than the slowest player form last year, so this is likely wrong. His reaction shuttle puts him 18th out of 65th if you believe the agility numbers out of Memphis.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 39,303
And1: 11,668
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#76 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:03 am

I always thought he looked not long or very explosive. When guys in high school have to do a million drinble moves to get past defenders, it means they can’t just straight blow past them.

His athleticism scores were shockingly low, even for someone who expected them to be mediocre.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
God Squad
General Manager
Posts: 9,032
And1: 5,607
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#77 » by God Squad » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:26 am

Those measurements are as bad as it gets for a "star" wing player. But I've always been in the he's overrated camp.
Image
peZt
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,265
And1: 1,120
Joined: Aug 15, 2010
Location: Braunschweig
   

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#78 » by peZt » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:55 am

PrinceAli wrote:Those measurements are terrible. Negative wingspan, small hands, poor vertical

Bates might’ve really hurt his stock by participating in this. Hopefully he’s still growing cause otherwise those KD comparisons are gonna die quickly


He basically didn't grow in the last 2 years. Hope I'm wrong cause the league needs more superstars. But so far he seems like an early bloomer getting hyped up by his team. Who also shot like 35% in High School
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 60,047
And1: 72,585
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#79 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 7, 2021 3:26 pm

Skill > Measurements
Cavs Nation 2021 BAF Champions x 2020 Bubble Champs
PG: J Murray/Rose
SG: Lavine/Oladipo
SF: Tatum/Hart
PF: Bam/Tate
C: Ayton/Randle


It's like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 60,047
And1: 72,585
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Emoni Bates 

Post#80 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 7, 2021 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Cavs Nation 2021 BAF Champions x 2020 Bubble Champs
PG: J Murray/Rose
SG: Lavine/Oladipo
SF: Tatum/Hart
PF: Bam/Tate
C: Ayton/Randle


It's like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it

Return to NBA Draft