Why is Sekou considered a better prospect than Bitadze?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,242

Re: Why is Sekou considered a better prospect than Bitadze? 

Post#41 » by UcanUwill » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 am

juanc wrote:What do you guys think of Vuc as a comparison for Goga?

Goga can actually draw fouls, I dont like this comparison, but I hate Vuc, I think hes the biggest empty stats guy in the whole league, zero impact on the game. I have more hopes for Goga.

Killboard wrote:6'10.25 without shoes, 7'1.75 wingspan is in the low end for an NBA center. Now laugh louder because I cant hear you.

Bitadze is a tall center. His wingspan is not the best, but his size sure is. NBA always exaggerates their players' heights, wouldnt be surprised if Goga listed 7'0 right away. Hell, they measured Arnoldas Kulboka as 6'10 last summer, nba always adds one more inch because reasons.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#42 » by Killboard » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:24 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Goga can actually draw fouls, I dont like this comparison, but I hate Vuc, I think hes the biggest empty stats guy in the whole league, zero impact on the game. I have more hopes for Goga.

Killboard wrote:6'10.25 without shoes, 7'1.75 wingspan is in the low end for an NBA center. Now laugh louder because I cant hear you.

Bitadze is a tall center. His wingspan is not the best, but his size sure is. NBA always exaggerates their players' heights, wouldnt be surprised if Goga listed 7'0 right away. Hell, they measured Arnoldas Kulboka as 6'10 last summer, nba always adds one more inch because reasons.

Both Gasols, Ayton, Boban, Zubac, Mitchell Robinson,Gobert, Chandler, both Lopez, Whiteside, McGee, Embiid, are all legit 13 footers without shoes, with most of them having 7'5 wingpsans. That counts 14 Centers already. Then you have other with crazy wingspans like Jordan, Cousins, Capela, Drummond.
Bitazde size could be enoguh IF he shows an uncommon skill/athleticism level for his size, but his size alone wont be making teams turn their heads. 7'0 with a 7'4 wingpsan is which I consider average for an NBA center.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#43 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Killboard wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Both Gasols, Ayton, Boban, Zubac, Mitchell Robinson,Gobert, Chandler, both Lopez, Whiteside, McGee, Embiid, are all legit 13 footers without shoes, with most of them having 7'5 wingpsans. That counts 14 Centers already. Then you have other with crazy wingspans like Jordan, Cousins, Capela, Drummond.
Bitazde size could be enoguh IF he shows an uncommon skill/athleticism level for his size, but his size alone wont be making teams turn their heads. 7'0 with a 7'4 wingpsan is which I consider average for an NBA center.

Thats some T-Rex **** right there
Killboard
Analyst

Post#44 » by Killboard » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:
Killboard wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Thats some T-Rex **** right there
lol I messed up. Barefoot 7 footers was my point. And is not like the list ends there or that they don't have any skill.

I neither want to say he couldn't be successful, but his percieved ceiling is affected by not having special length or athleticism.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#45 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 am

UcanUwill wrote:Goga can actually draw fouls, I dont like this comparison, but I hate Vuc, I think hes the biggest empty stats guy in the whole league, zero impact on the game. I have more hopes for Goga.

if Goga comes close to what Vuc is I think you should take that as a win

historically Vuc has been more of an empty stats guy, but this season he's actually been legit. he's 2nd among all Centers in the NBA in RPM, has a +9.7 On/Off, 7 BPM, 4 VORP and above average in Win Shares.

basically he's the only reason the Magic aren't the worst team in the league right now
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#46 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 am

Calling Goga undersized it's really something, gotta be one of the most ridiculous statements I have read here and we have had plenty of those
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#47 » by juanc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:57 am

UcanUwill wrote:

So do men :lol: :lol:
Killboard
Analyst

Post#48 » by Killboard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Fischella wrote:Calling Goga undersized it's really something, gotta be one of the most ridiculous statements I have read here and we have had plenty of those

What height and wingspan you consider average for an NBA center then?

And as the most ridiculous assertions ever I will take whoever predicted Jahlil Okafor was going to be a better player than Towns.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#49 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:40 am

Killboard wrote:
Fischella wrote:Calling Goga undersized it's really something, gotta be one of the most ridiculous statements I have read here and we have had plenty of those

And as the most ridiculous assertions ever I will take whoever predicted Jahlil Okafor was going to be a better player than Towns.

The average height and wingspan for an NBA starting center is 7’0 and 7’3 wingspan (or at least it was two years ago). BUT that’s just the average, there are smaller centers with a shorter wingspan and height that do just as well. Don’t mistake size for skill and defensive instincts. There are good rim protectors under 7ft and there are bad rim protectors over 7ft. If someone can play, they can play.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:44 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Killboard wrote:

The average height and wingspan for an NBA starting center is 7’0 and 7’3 wingspan (or at least it was two years ago). BUT that’s just the average, there are smaller centers with a shorter wingspan and height that do just as well. Don’t mistake size for skill and defensive instincts. There are good rim protectors under 7ft and there are bad rim protectors over 7ft. If someone can play, they can play.

aren't you the same guy that said Herro is undraftable because of his wingspan?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 am

clyde21 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Killboard wrote:

aren't you the same guy that said Herro is undraftable because of his wingspan?

No, that’s not what I was saying.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#52 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Goga is 6-11.5 barefoot (7-1 in shoes aka NBA measurements), 7-2 or 7-3 wingspan, 9-2.5 or 9-3 standing reach, he ain't undersized, carries 250 very well and has work to do with his upper body, could get to 260-270 with more definition for sure

He isn't undersized, like at all
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote:Vecenie: 2019 Mock Draft 2.0 — The pre-NCAA tournament edition

32. Phoenix Suns — Goga Bitadze, Budocnost

Bitadze is one of the toughest prospects to gauge in this draft. Statistically, it’s tough to get more impressive for his age as a European prospect. He’s a teenager averaging 11.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in the Euroleague. He’s not Luka Doncic, but he’s one of the more productive players we’ve seen at that age in the last decade. Still, there are real worries here. He’s more of a traditional, slow-footed big man physically with the ability to potentially stretch the floor down the road one day. He doesn’t have the same vision and passing ability that someone like Domantas Sabonis or Nikola Jokic does. It’s hard to see exactly how the defense translates. Still, he’s just 19, and it’s probably worth someone stashing him with a pick and seeing what he can become over the next couple of years.
Here
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Bleacher Report now lists Bitadze in the top 10 of their newest Big Board:

2019 NBA Draft Big Board: Ranking the Top 75 Players in This Year's Class

10. Goga Bitadze (Georgia, C, 1999)

On the radar since 2015 for his FIBA play, 6'11" size and mobility, Goga Bitadze has made his biggest jump this season, and the timing points to him generating first-round interest for 2019.

He's coming off a 22-point, eight-rebound game against KK Mega Bemax, the team he started the season playing for before he was loaned to Buducnost.

Bitadze remains most appealing for his tools, mobility and hands around the rim at both ends of the floor. But he's developed into a sharper, more versatile scoring weapon with counter footwork and improved shooting touch (15-of-42 from three).

Bitadze, at 19 years old, has held his own through nine Euroleague games, averaging 11.9 points and 2.7 blocks on 55.2 percent shooting. The fact that he isn't a switchy defender or major face-up threat are drawbacks, but they aren't alarming enough outside the top five in this draft.
Bleacher Report

Sekou has fallen to #17!

17. Sekou Doumbouya (France, SF/PF, 2000)

After Doumbouya's season-high 14 points against Monaco, he becomes even more of a must-watch until draft night. Given his smaller sample size of minutes (393), it is possible that Saturday's performance could spark a new wave of confidence that ignites a late-season breakout. Every game, there are highlights and low-lights that reflect everything from his foot speed, slashing and shooting potential to his limited skill level and complete lack of polish.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 pm

The difference is that Bitadize is a finished product, he isn’t getting much better other than developing his jumper. Sekou has insane upside, like Pascal Siakam (who was also underrated). When teams measure his physical tools he’s going to shoot up boards. I actually really really like his tools too. Remember he’s also one of the youngest players in the draft, he has the ability to run the floor, dribble the ball in transition, make accurate cross-court passes, defend inside-out, he has elite verticality and he can even shoot a little. I think the biggest thing for him is getting older and developing his confidence. He doesn’t realize he could do more than he’s doing and doesn’t have the confidence in any part of his game yet. But once he figures it out I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a guy that can win most the improved player award. If you still have Romeo Langford, Cameron Reddish and Nassir Little as top prospects you should have him there too.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#56 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Sekou continues to get slept on...yes he's very raw right now and relies primarily on raw talent vs. recognition and BBIQ but his skill set and athleticism is very translatable to the NBA and the potential is absolutely insane. he's got everything you want in a starting level PF in today's game.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#57 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Fischella wrote:Goga is 6-11.5 barefoot (7-1 in shoes aka NBA measurements), 7-2 or 7-3 wingspan, 9-2.5 or 9-3 standing reach, he ain't undersized, carries 250 very well and has work to do with his upper body, could get to 260-270 with more definition for sure

Most NBA fans outside of Europe still have not figured out that 6-10 in Europe = 7-0 in NBA and that 220 pounds weight listing by an NBA draft site in USA = 250 pounds in how much the same player would be listed in same sites if they were an NCAA player.

All part of the ridiculousness of NBA marketing gimmicks and that people still don't realize the whole "players in EuroLeague are smaller and shorter" claims in USA are just untrue myths.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Goga is 6-11.5 barefoot (7-1 in shoes aka NBA measurements), 7-2 or 7-3 wingspan, 9-2.5 or 9-3 standing reach, he ain't undersized, carries 250 very well and has work to do with his upper body, could get to 260-270 with more definition for sure

Most NBA fans outside of Europe still have not figured out that 6-10 in Europe = 7-0 in NBA and that 220 pounds weight listing by an NBA draft site in USA = 250 pounds in how much the same player would be listed in same sites if they were an NCAA player.

All part of the ridiculousness of NBA marketing gimmicks and that people still don't realize the whole "players in EuroLeague are smaller and shorter" claims in USA are just untrue myths.

Who said that? I haven’t heard that anywhere. Plus informed people know what they’re talking about. A lot of these draft sites/“experts” are too busy writing bull on Twitter (sending clips to each other without watching the actual games) and don’t watch games or update their breakdowns. I swear a lot of these guys will watch a player at the start of the season and never watch them again. And then, oh wow, someone is automatically a top 20 pick from the tournament. And by that I mean they have no time to update someone’s weight or accomplishments.

To be fair, there is a lot of basketball to watch and I’m an maniac when it comes to watching games. But if you can’t watch a few games of a player at the start of the season or watch one euro game and know about a player.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#59 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

Agreed, I do think listing players in shoes makes more sense though, like the NBA does, as long as the correction isn't like ridiculous (+1 inch is what I like to do, maybe 1.5 max)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#60 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:04 pm

I don't even know what this thread was about but I couldn't find a specific Goga thread. I had him 8 in that draft. Here we are 5 years later and the dude is actually starting to ball. This is why you wait. You can say Goga was a bust for the team that picked him because it took him so long to develop. That's fair. But sometimes the true talent just takes a freaking long time to realize its potential. Maybe Goga is on his way...finally.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft